Song Collaborating across country with sonar files

Author
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
2009/02/11 13:41:01 (permalink)

Song Collaborating across country with sonar files

So i here i am in chicago -- there is my buddy in vegas -- when we were both in Chicago we used to write songs together... for like 13 years -- we both miss doing that as collaberators....

so here we are trying to figure out a way to do this...... we both use sonar

so whats a good host we can upload and download big sonar files back and forth to each other and collaberate... I prefer something free if its out there -- but if it cost a little I suppose thats ok

Paul

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

12 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/11 13:49:41 (permalink)
    i use box.net - it's not free but it's pretty reliable. for my personal account max of 5gb storage and 1gb file size - i recently sent Reese (Beagle) a file which was 1.2gb - i used an app called Filesplitter to split that up and upload 200mb chunks...works ok. others use yousendit to send largish emails...what we do is use mp3s of the existing tracks to add our own tracks to, then upload those tracks in .wav format...only the person mixing needs .wavs of all the tracks...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/11 15:07:01 (permalink)
    Check Windows Live Sync (formerly FolderShare), which is free. What it does is establish a private peer-to-peer connection between you and other machines that you specify. But... you can get a domain with FTP capacity pretty cheap these days (I pay around $10/mo for 250GB storage and 2,500GB/mo transfer volume). Might be a better investment of your time because you can exchange files quicker.

Just my .02 worth.

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/11 15:20:11 (permalink)
    Yousendit.com is free and easy to use.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/11 17:08:12 (permalink)
    I've been using Windows Live Sky Drive. It gives you 25 GB of free storage and lets you control access. For example, you can create a folder that only your buddy can see.

Windows Live Sync, mentioned by Russell, is fine also, but it requires installation on each local computer. With Sky Drive, your buddy could mix down to an MP3 and load it to Sky Drive. You could access the MP3 from any computer by logging on to Windows Live.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/11 17:15:45 (permalink)
    your buddy could mix down to an MP3 and load it to Sky Drive. You could access the MP3 from any computer by logging on to Windows Live.

He wants to trasfer whole SONAR songs not mp3's.
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/11 20:14:47 (permalink)

[http://www.digitalmusician.net/index.php?id=280
    http://www.ejamming.com/home/
    http://www.indabamusic.com/
    http://www.esession.com/home/index.php
    quote]ORIGINAL: Mooch4056

So i here i am in chicago -- there is my buddy in vegas -- when we were both in Chicago we used to write songs together... for like 13 years -- we both miss doing that as collaberators....

so here we are trying to figure out a way to do this...... we both use sonar

so whats a good host we can upload and download big sonar files back and forth to each other and collaberate... I prefer something free if its out there -- but if it cost a little I suppose thats ok

Paul

Craig DuBuc
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/11 20:19:29 (permalink)
    There are several internet entitys devoted to collaberation online.
    http://www.digitalmusician.net/index.php?id=280
    http://www.ejamming.com/home/
    Here's a couple. Do a search on online music collaberation you'll find more.

Craig DuBuc
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/12 05:22:23 (permalink)
    thanx Crg bapu murman mccourter russell and mgh --

you all gave me good starting points to try things out

thanx

Paul

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/14 19:21:14 (permalink)
    I tried a few sevices and some were OK but a few actually slowed down the further you went with the upload.....

I tried www.sendspace.com and love it. It is FREE. no registration, just start uploading.

I see no noticable slow down as the file continues to upload. They allow up to 300MB files for free. They also have a low cost service if you need to send bigger files. It sends a link to you, and you can also have a link sent to your buddy. The file link is active for a few days before they automatically remove it.... two or three days I think.

ALSO: If you decide ahead who will mix it, they are the only ones that need the audio in wave format. you can send an MP3 track attached to an email quicker. I have collabbed with a few people using MP3's and it works well, and sounds good too.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/14 21:09:54 (permalink)
    another vote for yousendit.....free, easy and reliable (at least in my experience)
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/15 01:01:41 (permalink)
    Filefactory is free. You can post up to 300 megs at a time on a free account. Good enough for a .cwp and several tracks. I've done the online thing for quite awhile, mostly using a free ftp server (no size limit) but FileFactory works out fine as well. Just send a link to your buddie and he can download whatever you've uploaded. Usually you're only passing a few tracks every now and then, so 300megs is plenty.

If you both use something like BFD, EZDrummer, whatever, then all you need is midi to pass the drums and have full control at each end. That makes it even easier. No massive amount of drum tracks to have to send.

Best to have the same or very simlar setup. I've been doing it with someone for a couple of years now. Our systems are pretty much equal. We use the same version of Sonar, and we both have BFD for drums. He plays drums and guitar and I play keyboards, drums and bass. We both do the vocals. (On this project anyways.) Things develop much slower than sitting in the same room and hashing out a part, but it's cool to be able to do it...and do it without hiccups. As long as you're both clear on a few things, so you approach/organize/file things the same way. We've never had a corrupt file/project experience. It really works seamlessly.
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: Song Collaborating across country with sonar files 2009/02/15 15:25:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

your buddy could mix down to an MP3 and load it to Sky Drive. You could access the MP3 from any computer by logging on to Windows Live.

He wants to trasfer whole SONAR songs not mp3's.

I know that. I was pointing out another benefit of using Sky Drive for collaboration instead of Live Sync or ftp. When I'm working on a song, I like to be able to easily bring it up on someone else's computer for a quick demo or to easily send someone a link in an email.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1