Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
2009/02/12 19:13:10 (permalink)

Just like starting over

Marah
formerly Marah Mag
formery HotCoollMusicGirl

has something like 29 posts.

I am not a stalker. Just noticed it on another thread.
post edited by bapu - 2009/02/12 19:18:45

25 Replies Related Threads

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/12 23:33:44 (permalink)
    ED: it's a woman's prerogative, is it not?

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/12 23:35:20 (permalink)
    She can run... but she can't hide... her past will catch up with her eventually... like one of those Lost episodes... 'cept not so confusing...
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/13 00:15:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

ED: it's a woman's prerogative, is it not?

Exactly! My GF reminds me of that daily.
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/13 04:28:53 (permalink)
    I used to date a Hot/Cool music girl. The problem was that I never knew which one I was going to get when I picked her up ...
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/13 22:57:54 (permalink)
    Particularly interesting and intelligent as well.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/14 09:28:29 (permalink)
    What was the old song
    A woman is a creature that has always been strange
    Just when you're sure of one its when they go and make a change...

From Is you Is or Is You Aint My Baby.

I had a different ID several years ago. I got some hateful stuff coming at me. I changed. But just once.

I think MM is also Phuket Ling Ling.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/14 11:35:30 (permalink)
    Sometimes I wonder, how do we really know that Marah is a she?

Have you noticed how the tone of some posters will change when they believe they're speaking with a woman? Some guys start falling all over themselves to appear "nice" and "friendly" when a "woman" enters an online forum. I confess that I've used this technique to manipulate a particularly nasty News group I once frequented during the Usenet days.

Now, I do believe Marah is who she says she is, but in some www venues, you can't always be sure.

--kwgm
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/14 19:15:07 (permalink)
    I never heard any of MM's music (original or production)....always posting comments but never posting music..... isn't that what this forum is all about?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/15 14:49:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker
    I never heard any of MM's music (original or production)....always posting comments but never posting music..... isn't that what this forum is all about?

Why would this forum (except for the "songs" page) be about posting music? The only reasonably good part in my music is the lyrics....how many of you understand finnish language? I'll never post a single song, most likely.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/15 15:23:17 (permalink)
    I'm just guessing that most people here..... maybe I'm going out on a limb..... are here because they have a Cake platform of some sort....and most people use it to either record their music or use it in some sort of production capacity...mixing, mastering, or tweeking, other people's music....

So no matter what use you make of it.... you should be making music in one form or another..... if you happen to be a regular poster, and contributor to the forums.... why would you NOT want to post some of your work for others to hear?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/15 20:23:54 (permalink)
    Ed, I noticed also, I'm sure we aren't the only ones who did.. but I didn't ask..

reminds me of a Bowie song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tBHOuHolYw

jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/15 21:44:58 (permalink)
    I wish I could start over. I'd have cabbage patch kids and submarine sandwiches with extra mustard and travel guides to Tempe, AZ!! I'd study harder, party less and get my degree in Archetypal-Transitional-Bio-Chemical-Engineering so I could drive a train all day long. And, of course, to top it all off, I'd have the bestest-superest-greatest Pro Tools rig ever in the history of the universe. Golly-gee-willikers, that's a swell dream, Charlie Brown. A swell dream, indeed...

Oh, and I agree that Marah should post some music. Even if she has a record deal, a 10 second clip must be doable...
    post edited by jinga8 - 2009/02/15 21:51:50
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 00:11:42 (permalink)
    I'm just guessing that most people here..... maybe I'm going out on a limb..... are here because they have a Cake platform of some sort....and most people use it to either record their music or use it in some sort of production capacity...mixing, mastering, or tweeking, other people's music....

So no matter what use you make of it.... you should be making music in one form or another..... if you happen to be a regular poster, and contributor to the forums.... why would you NOT want to post some of your work for others to hear?

i can think of several reasons:

(1) copyright, for non-original stuff
    (2) don't want/need critiques or validation of music
    (3) too self-conscious to share
    (4) don't want to put potentially great music on the 'net for free
    (5) don't compose music in one of the five or so genres normally posted on the songs forum
    (6) too busy creating/playing/performing music to bother with soundclick/garageband/myspace
    (7) too busy with everything but #6 and making the most of the little time available for a hobby
    (8) more into studying and talking about music than recording it

i'm sure there are others that i've missed. but a lot of people who have really contributed to the discussions around here (and marah definitely has) have not posted music (or if they did, i missed it), like yep, chaz and frank. i don't think mike_mccue has posted music, or lixisoft, i think corey has maybe once or twice, and i know i'm forgetting others whose names i should be mentioning who i suspect are engineers/producers and can't post for copyright reasons, even if one of the other 7 reasons (or ones i haven't thought of) apply.

i'm sure you did not intend your posts the way they came across (to me), so hopefully i'm not offending with this reply.

- jack the ex-cynic
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 08:45:05 (permalink)

The subject of who does and who doesn't post any music, and if not, why not, crops up regularly in these forums.

Personally, I have at least one foot firmly planted in Herb's camp.

When this often heated topic was being discussed a while back in the SONAR forum, it was noted that only two or three of the top ten posters in the forums actually had any music posted.

If you check the top 20 posters now, it's an even split: CJ, Beagle, ohhey, Robomusic, RobertB, Mod Bod, Yours Truly, ba_midi, bitflipper and jinga8 all post links to their music whereas big posters who do not are John, Daveny5, b rock, Susan G, Jose7822, mike-mccue (who does run a studio though), papa2004 (studio also), Phrauge, glazfolk and losguy.

I fully understand that there is no direct correlation between the quality and helpfulness of advice given and either the number of posts in these forums or whether or not a person posts their music or not.

I don't know what it is though, if I read something by Beag, CJ or RobertB, and having listened to how good their stuff is, I sort of think I'm getting it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. That's totally illogical as I hint at above, but that's how I feel - these guys don't just talk the talk, they've proved to me that they can walk the walk as well.

I understand a lot of folk possibly don't have the time to post their music, but some of those mentioned do seem to have had enough time to post thousands of times in here!

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with these guys not letting us hear some of their stuff - I just can't understand why they don't.

It would surely be an education for the rest of us, the quality of their advice proves that they obviously know the software, the hardware and the workings of a DAW etc inside out - it would be great to listen to what they can do with it.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 09:01:51 (permalink)

That is a code phrase for getting wasted - no? One foot in the Herb camp?

I like it.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 09:18:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

That is a code phrase for getting wasted - no? One foot in the Herb camp?

I like it.

I don't get it...

jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 10:31:15 (permalink)
    Hey Herb, pass the cheetos, maaaaan...
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 18:04:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK
    I fully understand that there is no direct correlation between the quality and helpfulness of advice given and either the number of posts in these forums or whether or not a person posts their music or not.

i would also add that the quality of a person's music doesn't necessarily correlate to the quality of their advice, although that is probably harder to swallow than just not posting music.

- jack the ex-cynic
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 18:15:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

i would also add that the quality of a person's music doesn't necessarily correlate to the quality of their advice, although that is probably harder to swallow than just not posting music.

Yeah I agree totally Jack - I can't explain why I should even let it be a consideration really!

I do remember a couple of 'photos of your (home) studios' type threads recently and my jaw dropping just looking at some of the gear some of the guys use.

And I mean some serious gear - thousands and thousands of dollars/pounds worth of vintage guitars and synths and DAW hardware and not a single note of music to share with the rest of us.

And these were 'Home' studios that make my set-up look like today's equivalent of a 4 track cassette!

He he, I must be losing it

Steve

jacktheexcynic
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 20:13:43 (permalink)
    yeah i've seen that too... makes me wonder occasionally what the gear fiddling to music making ratio is... but to each their own.

- jack the ex-cynic
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 20:38:51 (permalink)
    Some of us are musicians who fiddle with gear. Others, including yours truly, are gearheads who dabble in music.

You don't need to be a great engineer to give artistic advice, nor a great musician to give technical advice. Do you think Dr. Ruth is really getting any herself?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 20:45:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper
    You don't need to be a great engineer to give artistic advice, nor a great musician to give technical advice. Do you think Dr. Ruth is really getting any herself?

i'm definitely not going down that road, i think even clueless people can give great advice, particularly if they've heard a not-clueless person give it. only saying i don't quite get the fascination with gear when it seems to be more of a focal point than the music. now if you run a studio, that's different. and if you like the gear aspect and the technical parts, nothing wrong with that at all. just different types of people.

- jack the ex-cynic
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 21:00:31 (permalink)

...always posting comments but never posting music..... isn't that what this forum is all about?

No, I come to listen and steal--er, get--ideas.

You gotta listen to others to know what you like and what you want in your own music.
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 21:11:48 (permalink)
    and yet another reason...

- jack the ex-cynic
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Just like starting over 2009/02/16 21:15:45 (permalink)
    don't have a problem with these guys not letting us hear some of their stuff - I just can't understand why they don't

Because I compose and play live. I can't hang with the quality of recordings done here. I don't put any time into learning recording techniques. I put time into practicing a piano and composing music for programs.

And ya'll are into recording here big time, not correct writing, with no doubling of altered tones or tendency tones, or moving in parrallel fifths or octaves, or resolving the seventh in the bass down a step. Stuff important to me. I don't think anybody here would say, "Oh, I like the way you moved these two parts here in contrary motion." Except maybe Larry Alexander. But he doesn't comment on other people's music, anyway.

And so my website is a place I can direct drama-group heads to and say, "This is what I've written for such-and-such play. Let's us do the play together, or else maybe you'd like me to score your play and perform with you."

But, while the melodies and harmonies of my music might be good, the sound quality is not--it comes straight out of my keyboard, no tweeking. Nor is the variety of instruments--two. Something solid, like 1) a piano or guitar with 2) a string pad or a vox or a choir. That's all I can do in real time, following along on my keyboard with the actors on stage. There can be no sequencing here.

So my music is embarrassingly raw. But the melodies and harmonies are decent.

So like I said, my music can't hang here. Why embarrass myself? and waste ya'll's time?
    post edited by peggysuechan - 2009/02/18 21:41:55
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1