Hello Gang! New to the Forum

Author
Guitarzan54
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
2009/02/14 20:44:44 (permalink)

Hello Gang! New to the Forum

As there doesn't appear to be a WELCOME NEWBIES thread/forum I guess I'll just introduce myself here.

I'm very new to all this "at home" recording stuff. Spent all day reading, and playing with the tutorials of my new Home Studio 9....and probably haven't really learned much yet. LOL
My buddy just updated to SONAR (or something like that) and sold me his old CakeWalk 9. It seems very cool, but fairly complicated at this point. I can't wait to actually be able to do anything with it.

I have been playing guitar, drums, bass, keyboards, harmonica....all my life. I've written a bunch of songs that probably only I think are any good (LOL). And I'd like to take a crack at doing all the work. Just once....everything.

He tells me that before I can do anything however - I need to invest in a mixer/pre-amp. Makes sense, but I've only just begun to look into these units. Don't really know what I'm doing.

I'm looking at a ALESIS MultiMix 8USB Mixer with USB and DSP. (I have no clue what DSP is. But I guess I'll find out.)
I choose this unit because, at just $159 bucks, it's certainly in my price range.

If anyone has a better choice I could make I'm open to recommendations.

I got my screen name quite a few years ago because I broke the Guinness Book Of World Records, in Chicago (1986), for LONGEST CONTINUOUS GUITAR PLAYING (I'm not even sure it's a category anymore) for 11 1/2 days straight.
And that's what all the local radio stations were calling me. Then my friends followed suit....and I've kind of adopted it ever sense.

Some guy in England has sense beat me, but I still hold the record in the US.

Well, that's about all I have to say about myself.

Anyway....so glad to have purchased this software cause I never would have known about this site! It seems extremely cool and informative.

GREAT TO MEET'CHA ALL!!!!

18 Replies Related Threads

jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/14 21:02:43 (permalink)
    Tender, tender, little ego...
    post edited by jinga8 - 2009/02/15 11:32:57
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/14 21:07:45 (permalink)
    Welcome Guitarzan! Interesting claim to fame there for sure! Nice feat, no disrespect but I don't think I could listen to myself play guitar for 11 1/2 days much less someone else, did you have any brave souls hang out with ya?

DSP= digital signal processing which I think usually means that the interface has it's own built in effects so it doesn't put any added strain on your PC's processor chip.

I was an analog multi track guy at one time and finding Sonar and PC recording is the single best thing that has happened to my music. It is so flexible and helpful in ways I could never have thought before. Sometimes it can be frustrating to understand things but hey, when aren't computer related things frustrating?
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/14 21:20:57 (permalink)
    Welcome..... I got into one of those record attempts..... I had no desire to go for the record. I stayed long enough to qualify for the free stuff. I collected my stuff and went home.

I would recommend hanging out in the products forums.... since CW9 is really old... the best bet is the music creator and Sonar forum...many people there had the older CW# platforms and can help when you have questions..... and we can try to talk you into upgrading.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Guitarzan54
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/14 22:00:20 (permalink)
    Thanks guys! I so appreciate the input....and the warm welcome!

CreatingNoise......I did have other with me. It all actually started out as just a Marathon the raise money for kids that can't afford to go to school for music. It was handled through the Chicago EMMY folks.
    Only those with the most amount of "sponsors" could get into it. So, my drummer and I went around to all these bars and solicited people top sponsor me for whatever they wanted to.....a penny and hour.....a dime, a quarter.....and so on. Those that sponsored me for a buck were quite surprised - 276 hours later! LOL!!!

It all went down at Guitar Center. In Chicago there were, at the time, two Guitar Centers....one on the North side, and one on the South side.
    It all came down to just 8 people that had the most sponsors. So four of us went to the North side store, and the other four to the South.
    By the end of the third day I was the last man standing. I had won everything! A new Marshall 100 watt stack, all kinds of BOSS effects pedals, and a Rockman Rack Mount Rock Module.....and a bran new JACKSON CUSTOM SOLOIST!!!!

Then the manager comes up to me and says "Why don't you go for the Guinness?".....I'm like SAY WHAT!??? - HOW LONG IS THE GUINNESS? (I'd been up for 3 days straight already!)

So he says, under his breath...."Well, is 11 days." (muffling the emphasis on "11" - LOL)

And I say...."Excuse me?.....what did you say?"......and he says "11 DAYS!"

And I'm like "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN' MIND! - I'VE BEEN UP FOR THREE DAYS! - YOU'RE ASKING ME TO GO ANOTHER 9 DAYS!????"

Well, my drummer was standing right there, begging me to do it. He says he'll actually stay with me - that he's take his vacation right now if I do this.
    So, here I am, out of work - just laid-off. And I'm like - WTF!.....Let's Do It!!!!

And, 11 1/2 days later I was the new Guinness Book Of World Records holder!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Let me tell ya - I'D NEVER EVER EVER DO IT AGAIN! LOL

But, it was very cool. Radio interviews around the clock. Musician Magazine, Guitar Player, International Musician, Illinois Entertainer.....hell, I even have a newspaper clipping for the SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST with my picture smack dab in the middle of all this goofy writing!
    I met Eddie Van Halen, and told him I would be honored if he'd except a small gift I had for him, and he accepted it and said...."NO WAY MAN! I seen you on the news in LA! I'm HONORED to meet YOU!".....and shook my hand, and invited me, my girlfriend, and my drummer, to the VIC Theater, in Chicago, for a private party they were having. IT WAS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! Everybody that was anybody was there!
    Kieth Entwistle (The WHO), Gregg Allman (Allman Bros.), J. Johnie Johnson (Allman Bros.), The guys from Twisted Sister, Niel Shon (Journey)....hell, I even met Valarie! LOL!!!!

They all got up on stage and had this All-Star Jam that was to die for!!! I will NEVER forget it.

It was totally COOL!

post edited by Guitarzan54 - 2009/02/14 22:07:11
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/14 22:12:44 (permalink)
    Hi and welcome. :-)

best regards,
    mike

Guitarzan54
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/14 23:25:52 (permalink)
    jinga8....I did a Google search for "audio interface" and this is what came up:

StarTech.com 2 Port USB KVM Switch with Audio & Ethernet Hub KVM / audio / USB switch

link -->> http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=audio+interface+usb&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=18220236941228094768#ps-sellers

Is this what you're referring too?

.....what does this do for me? How would I use it? Does it go between my mixer and computer? Or does it actually replace my mixer?

The ALESIS unit that I talked about can be found here -->> http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166

Thanks for any help.

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/15 00:08:32 (permalink)
    Hey Welcome
    I am the village ADHD-OCD-DDS

Ever wonder why some people say "You're joking" or "You're kidding" when you say something like "My Aunt Polly has wrinkle cancer!" Never when it is actually a joke.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/15 08:56:46 (permalink)
    Welcome to Earth.

I'd be in Guinness if they had a ranking for sniffing out BS. Or is that sniffing out rank BS? Well BS.

post edited by spacey - 2009/02/15 09:04:39
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/15 09:17:03 (permalink)
    Hi, and welcome to the forums!

I'm curious about that Guiness Record thing..are you saying you stayed awake for 11 1/2 days, and played guitar the whole time? Or were you allowed naps in between, then started playing again when you woke?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    spacey
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/15 09:34:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarzan54

I got my screen name quite a few years ago because I broke the Guinness Book Of World Records, in Chicago (1986), for LONGEST CONTINUOUS GUITAR PLAYING (I'm not even sure it's a category anymore) for 11 1/2 days straight.
    And that's what all the local radio stations were calling me. Then my friends followed suit....and I've kind of adopted it ever sense.

Some guy in England has sense beat me, but I still hold the record in the US.

Well, that's about all I have to say about myself.

Then the manager comes up to me and says "Why don't you go for the Guinness?".....I'm like SAY WHAT!??? - HOW LONG IS THE GUINNESS? (I'd been up for 3 days straight already!)

So he says, under his breath...."Well, is 11 days." (muffling the emphasis on "11" - LOL)

And I say...."Excuse me?.....what did you say?"......and he says "11 DAYS!"

And I'm like "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN' MIND! - I'VE BEEN UP FOR THREE DAYS! - YOU'RE ASKING ME TO GO ANOTHER 9 DAYS!????"

Well, my drummer was standing right there, begging me to do it. He says he'll actually stay with me - that he's take his vacation right now if I do this.
    So, here I am, out of work - just laid-off. And I'm like - WTF!.....Let's Do It!!!!

And, 11 1/2 days later I was the new Guinness Book Of World Records holder!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Let me tell ya - I'D NEVER EVER EVER DO IT AGAIN! LOL

"The record for the longest marathon playing guitar had stood at 44 hours since 2005, until 6.31 am on Tuesday 24 June 2008. Aakash continued through the day and eventually stopped strumming after 53 hours and 4 minutes."- from Guinness

No BS and if you want to read about it....here

Guitarzan54
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/16 10:18:28 (permalink)
    Ok....guess I should explain a bit deeper here. I'm really not bs'ing. I could post pictures...even the actual news broadcasts from Channel 7 (Chicago), Channel 9 (Chicago), etc.

Anyway, the record you're speaking of (53 hours), I'm assuming, must have been straight through - without any breaks.

Mine was not the same. According to Guinness standards I was allowed to take 5 minute breaks - every hour - ON the hour. That's where it would get real tricky....especially into it for a few days.
    For instance - if you began playing at noon, you'd play until 1:00 and break til 1:05. Then you would play from 1:05 til 2:05...and break til 2:10, and so on.
    But, you were also allowed to "stack" them. So I would play for 12 hours say, and stack an hour worth of time. With that time I'd go across the street, where I had a motel room, and take a shower, and sleep for 20 minutes. There was a guy that came by quite often that said that he had attempted a few records himself and that he would "coach" me if I wanted.
    He said not to sleep more then 20 minutes a day because after 20 minutes you enter some kind of sleep that's difficult to wake from. But under 20 minutes kept you somewhat refreshed. I actually remember that theory from my days in the military. 20 minutes a day (during war time) was all they were obligated to give you - for the same reason.

I've heard of this other record that you're talking about, but I don't know much about it. I'm assuming that it must be NON-STOP / NO BREAKS.

I'm really not bs'ing you guys. I will post pics if need be. I tried to find information online, but apparently the internet doesn't seem to go back that far (1986).

But, I do have proof.....swear it. I certainly wouldn't make this up. Call Guitar Center (Chicago - Arlington Heights)

Guitar Center Arlington Heights
    2375 S. Arlington Heights Rd.
    Arlington Heights, Illinois 60005

Phone: 847-439-4600
    Fax: 847-439-4636

Manager: Chris Stone

The manager at the time was a guy named Marty Anderson (or maybe Albertson - something like that)....who now heads up the store in Denver, Colorado.

Do you honestly think I'd be giving you all this information if I was just bs'ing you guys?

I'll post something. I have all the newspaper articles, photographs....actually taken at Guitar Center, with a huge banner across the front of the store saying Mike Buckley has been playing Guitar for 276 hours now. These numbers would actually change on the hour.
    Geese.....it's even tatoo'ed on my arm. LOL

I have no reason to lie to you guys...call the store. Perhaps somebody still works there.
    I began at noon, May 21st, and played till Midnight, June 1st - 1986.

I don't know exactly what record it is that this guy above has....but it ain't mine.

If someone could help me with how to post video's from DVD I would be glad to post them also.

Really, I don't want to start off on the wrong foot with everybody thinking I'm full of sh*t.

I'm not. Honestly.

Mike (Guitarzan54)

lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/16 10:55:42 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums Guitarzan54

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    spacey
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/16 11:06:08 (permalink)
    Mike,

As I stated in my reply to your e-mail- I have no reason to doubt you based on that it sounds like your "challenge" was not titled as originally stated but a different "challenge" with different guidelines for completion of.
    However Guinness titled your acomplishment, Kudos not only for setting things right but also for completing the "challenge".
    I need no further proof, your words are understood now and good enough for me. I know you understand my original position based on information you provided but now except my apology for this unfortunate misunderstanding.

Regards,
    Michael

Guitarzan54
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/16 11:49:01 (permalink)
    Thank you for that response Mike.

I really wouldn't join this forum just to load it up with a bunch of BS.

I have so much respect for this site, and the knowledge of those on it. And I'm so glad I found it.
    Reading through the threads, and forums, have already been a huge help. And I hope to be able to contribute, someday, myself.

Mike (Guitaran54)

Ratchethead
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/18 17:59:18 (permalink)
    Hey Mike, All,
    Had I read a little more closely (need my glassess grandma!) I wouldn't have started an additional thread. Glad to join you here on my first day...

Erik
    Guitarzan54
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/19 09:21:15 (permalink)
    Glad to have you Erik!

I am very "green" here also. I think you will find this site VERY addicting, and informative.
    Everybody seems like people that I would love to meet, and have a few cold ones with.

Hope you have a lot of fun here as I have this past week!

Mike

THE GUNS OF HELL!!! --> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=928547
    ---
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 2002 / SP3
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
    1.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
    ---
    Cakewalk Home Studio 9
    Line 6 POD UX2 Pod Farm

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/19 10:48:22 (permalink)

Hi there Mike, welcome aboard.

Great anecdote on the World Record - what songs did you play?

In order please

He he - best wishes

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Guitarzan54
    RE: Hello Gang! New to the Forum 2009/02/19 12:00:40 (permalink)
    Ha......I did do some jammin' but for the most part, Guinness rules were that you had to play "One Note Every Two Seconds". So, for the most part....that's exactly what I did - LOL.
    The others that came into the event were going like the Guns Of Hell! I knew there was no chance in hell they were going to beat me. They came completely unprepared...nothing to sit on, nothing to eat, etc.
    I, on the other hand, had every intention on leaving there with all that equipment. So I came in with a Folding Recliner (like you would use on a patio), a small color TV to keep me going through the loooooooong nights, and a cooler full of JOE WIEDER Body Building Power Bars, Drinks, etc. I was winning that Jackson Custom Soloist - and that's all there was too it! LOL

So I just basically sat on my low E, and banged out ONE NOTE EVERY TWO SECONDS.

At night was pretty cool actually because TED NUGENTS' old Band rehearsed in the basement of Guitar Center. It was freakin' nice down there!
    I would go down and sit in with those guys during the night. Never actually met Ted though. But the rest of them were always there. The original Singer - Derek St. Holmes was pretty full of himself....but he was cool. And an AWESOME voice!

On the final night, I had actually broke the record at noon on June 1st, but decided to keep playing until Midnight....another 12 hours, because I wanted to secure this record for a while.
    Derek St. Holmes, and the band came up and set up in the Store, and we jammed (unofficially) for another 4 hours until 4 a.m.
    They just kept rolling in cases and cases of Champagne, and the store was packed with just about everybody I ever knew - LOL.

It was a freakin' BLAST and a time I will NEVER forget.

I'm gonna take some time this weekend and try to scan some stuff into my computer....newspaper articles, photos, etc.

I tried to find stuff online (Guitar Player Mag., Musician Mag., Illinois Entertainer, etc.) but I can't seem to find anything to go back that far. I'd probably have to go to their "archive" and purchase these old articles/mags.
    Which I should do because I don't have any of that. I was "too cool" at the time to actually purchase it myself (freakin' moron, I kick myself in the ass now - LOL - I never even bought that copy of the Guinness!).

What's weird though, is that I met some guy a few years ago that said that his kid went on-line and actually found some stuff, but I've never been able to.

Man - how could I have been that STUPID!!!?????? - I never bought anything.

....I just saved newspaper articles and news reels.

Well - and, of course, the actually documentation from Guinness.

THE GUNS OF HELL!!! --> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=928547
    ---
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 2002 / SP3
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
    1.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
    ---
    Cakewalk Home Studio 9
    Line 6 POD UX2 Pod Farm

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1