Can't hear metronome!

Author
EWinterMK
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
2009/02/15 11:50:16 (permalink)

Can't hear metronome!

Hi there, I just upgraded from Sonar 4 Producer to Sonar 7 Producer. I am having a problem with not being able to hear the metronome for some reason...

I have all these bottons "on":

-Count-in Beats
-Metronome during Playback
-Metronome during Record
-Use Audio Metronome

Then, under "Metronome" in Project Options, I have checked:

-Playback
-Record
-Use Audio Metronome

I have tried setting output to all of the following:

-EMU ASIO (Which is what I think it should be on)
-Master
-Metronome

Does anyone have any idea what settings I need to change to make the metronome work? Maybe something with "Clock"? I don't really understand what the settings should be on there. I am working on creating Click-Tracks so I need to be able to hear the tempo, of course. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

17 Replies Related Threads

lackluster strumming
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/15 12:02:50 (permalink)
    make sure that on the metronome bus it isn't muted. I have mine set to master for output and it works fine. If that doesn't work i'm sure somebody will be along in a few that knows exactly what the problem is and will be able to help you. i hope that a mute button is all it is.

quentin
    EWinterMK
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/15 12:41:32 (permalink)
    No, I just checked and the Metronome bus isn't muted. Everything is as it should be as far as i can tell. Still no metronome sound...Thanks though.
    Frank Basile
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 466
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/15 12:46:48 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but since you mentioned you're creating click tracks, I already created a whole bunch of them for use in Sonar. They're click-loops that you simply dump into a track and use as your metronone and mute and control as necessary. And, the click-loops come in all kinds of different divisions, depending on the tempo and project you're working on (eigth-notes, quarter-notes, triplets, etc.) They're free here...

http://www.smartloops.com/Free/

post edited by Frank Basile - 2009/02/15 12:52:36
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/15 12:58:01 (permalink)
    Don't know. I can't get mine to work. I use the MIDI metronome, but that requires you to have an external synth.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2009/02/15 13:06:38

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    EWinterMK
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/15 13:40:37 (permalink)
    Man, that's a drag... The metronome works fine for me in Sonar 4. Is this a common problem with Sonar 7?... I would just use 4, but the project I am working on, I already saved in 7 and it won't let me open it in 4 now. I really wish I could make it work. Does anyone know if it could be some kind of setting I have wrong or something?
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/15 17:22:55 (permalink)
    Use the midi metronome instead of trying to use the audio metronome. Its works. Or just use SD2 or another synth to creat a nice simple drum beat. i do that with EZdrummer instead of using the metronome. It gives me a better feel for timing also

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    EWinterMK
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/15 18:08:29 (permalink)
    Ok, thanks... This may be a dumb question, but do I definitely need some kind of external device or software to use the Midi Metronome? Or can I use it with just Sonar?... Also, will all the tempo settings I have programmed in Sonar still apply to the midi metronome?... I've only ever used the Audio metronome so I don't know. Thanks.
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/15 18:23:36 (permalink)
    Sonar 8 does not need an external device for the midi 'metro gnome', I guess 7 was the same??

If you change the tempo of the song and then record a new track with the metronome on it should be at the new tempo.

I would like to know how to turn the metronome off as a global default. Seems like I have to go in and switch it off every time I start a new project (I've got perfect timing you see)!!

Also, my 'garden gnome' gets jealous.

From the Cakewalk 'help' menu (amazing how useful that can be huh)??

"By default, SONAR uses a hi-hat cymbal sound from a General MIDI drum kit for the MIDI metronome, but you can change this setting to anything you like by changing the MIDI output, MIDI channel, and duration".
    post edited by MemphisJo - 2009/02/15 18:36:09
    i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/15 23:34:59 (permalink)
    you seem to have done everything right to set the metronome up so no idea why it's not working for you. Writing your own click track is a good way to go, even better to use CJ's idea of dropping in a basic beat if you can.

Still raining...still dreaming!
    EWinterMK
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/16 08:36:05 (permalink)
    I tried to set up the Midi metronome, and I'm not so sure how to go about doing it. Could someone let me know exactly what steps I should take to set it up?
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/16 13:49:15 (permalink)
    tried to set up the Midi metronome, and I'm not so sure how to go about doing it. Could someone let me know exactly what steps I should take to set it up?

what did you try so i know what you did and how to correct it???
    Im quoting the help file that you have acsess to also in sonar. It will take you less time to look this stuff up yourslef than to post it and wait.. Good luck
    Setting the Metronome and Tempo Settings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The metronome counts off each beat in a measure, so you can hear the tempo of your project. You can choose to have the metronome sound during recording, during playback, or both. When you start recording, SONAR can play any number of beats or measures of metronome clicks before recording begins. This can help you "get in the groove" before you start performing. These beats or measures are called the count-in.

When you create a new project, you should set the metronome to play during the count-in and while recording. If you are adding material to an existing project, you might only need the metronome for the count-in.

You can customize the metronome sound to use audio or any note on a MIDI instrument. By default, SONAR uses a hi-hat cymbal sound from a General MIDI drum kit for the MIDI metronome, but you can change this setting to anything you like by changing the MIDI output, MIDI channel, and duration. You can also choose the note and velocity (volume) to use for the first beat of each measure and for all other beats. The metronome settings are stored separately with each project, so you can use different settings for each one.

Most metronome options can be set in the Metronome toolbar:

A. Record count-in B. Measures C. Beats D. Metronome during playback E. Metronome during record F. Use Audio Metronome G. Use MIDI metronome H. Metronome settings

If you don't see the Metronome toolbar, use the Views-Toolbars command to open the Toolbars dialog box, and check the Metronome checkbox. The metronome MIDI note parameters must be set in the Metronome Settings dialog box.

Note: If you are synchronized to an external clock source, you cannot use the count-in feature. For more information, see Synchronizing Your Gear .

To Set the Tempo and Metronome for a New Project
    In the Metronome toolbar, select the Metronome during Recording and Metronome during Playback options.
    If you want to hear a count-in before recording begins, set the count-in to 1 or more. Select Count-in Measures or Count-in Beats .
    Select Use Audio Metronome and/or Use MIDI Metronome .
    Arm at least one track.
    Press r or click to start recording. The count-in will play, and the Now time will start to advance.
    If necessary, stop playback and adjust the tempo using the tempo controls in the toolbar and restart playback. Repeat until the metronome plays the tempo you want.
    Press the Spacebar or click to stop recording.
    Press w, or click to rewind to the beginning of the piece.
    Your tempo and metronome settings are now ready. When you save the project file, the metronome and tempo settings will be saved as well.

To Change Your Metronome Settings
    Open the Metronome Settings dialog box in one of the following ways:
    Click Metronome Settings in the Metronome toolbar.
    Choose Options-Project and click the Metronome tab.
    Change the metronome settings as indicated in the following table:
    To do this...
    Do this...
    Enable the metronome during playback
    Check Playback
    Enable the metronome during recording
    Check Recording
    Enable the count-in
    Enter the number of clicks for the count-in in the Count-in box, and select Measures or Beats
    Use the audio
    Check Use Audio Metronome
    Use a MIDI note as the sound
    Check Use MIDI Note and choose the output, channel, and other settings

Click OK.
    Your metronome settings will be saved with the project file.

To Set the MIDI Metronome Sounds from your MIDI Instrument
    Select a track in the Track view that is assigned to the MIDI device you want to use for the metronome sound.
    Click Metronome Settings in the Metronome toolbar to open the Project Options dialog box.
    Make sure that the settings in the Output and Channel fields match those for the track in the Track view.
    Click on the Key box in the First Beat or the Other Beats section.
    Play a note on your MIDI instrument. The note number is entered automatically. The velocity is not updated.
    Click OK.
    Your metronome settings will be saved with the project file.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    EWinterMK
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/18 21:42:03 (permalink)
    Thanks CJays Music...

Sorry for the late reply. What I tried was just changing the metronome settings from Audio to Midi. However, There are many options and I am not so sure what to set them to...

For Example:

Under "Project Options" for Metronome, the options are:

"Midi Note" and "Audio Metronome" (I changed to Midi Note)
    Then there is a menu for Midi Note:
    Port:
    Channel:
    Duration:

The default settings on this are Port:1, Channel:10, Duration 6

Then it gives me a little menue that says "First Beat"
    Key:
    Velocity:

settings here are: Key:F#3, Velocity:123

and finally "Other Beats"
    Key: (F#3)
    Velocity: (100)

Then, if I go to "Sync" in Metronome options... There is an option for "Transmit Midi Start/continue/clock". Then there is a "Midi Sync Output Ports" menu

Finally, under "Clock" there is options for:
    Internal
    Midi Sync
    SMPTE/MTC
    Audio

Then "Ticks Per Quarter note" and "Timecode Format"

I just don't know what I should change all these settings to in order to use the Midi Metronome. All I want to do is have the metronome work, so I can create click tracks. If the Audio Metronome will not work on my Sonar program, and the Midi Metronome will, then I just need to know what settings to use in order to use it. If you could please inform me what I should do, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/19 07:23:45 (permalink)
    Finally, under "Clock" there is options for:
    Internal
    Midi Sync
    SMPTE/MTC
    Audio

Set it to internal.

The other settigns are personal preference
    Then, if I go to "Sync" in Metronome options... There is an option for "Transmit Midi Start/continue/clock". Then there is a "Midi Sync Output Ports" menu

you shouldnt have to mess with that. Leave it as is

Audio Blog
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/19 09:16:17 (permalink)
    Which version are you using? My metronome died in Sonar 6. It still works fine in Sonar 5 and Sonar 8, but no workie in 6. I was going to try a reinstall, but now that I've got S8 and it's working, I figured why bother? I remember sometimes in S6 the audio metronome would cause dropouts and I would ask myself, how hard is it to make a frickin metronome work?
    EWinterMK
    RE: Can't hear metronome! 2009/02/22 10:50:10 (permalink)
    Ok, so I changed the clock setting to "Internal" and have from what I can tell, everything set so that the MIDI metronome should work, as well as all the switches on that should be... When I hit Play or Record, I hear NO sound or click. Can you think of ANY thing that I may be doing wrong?

All I've really done is turned all the buttons on (MIDI metronome, metronome during playback, record, etc.), changed the metronome setting from "Audio" to "MIDI", changed from "Use Audio Metronome" to "Use MIDI Note", and set clock to "internal".

I'm sure it's not that complicated, I'm just having a hard time getting this thing set up. Anything you can think of that I may be doing wrong? This is very frustrating!
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re: RE: Can't hear metronome! 2010/07/22 17:53:44 (permalink)
    Going back to the Use Audio Metronome....

What volumes do you have the click set to?  There is a volume adjust for the down beat and the remaining clicks in the measure... so you can raise the downbeat volume without affecting the other clicks....

How many measures do you have the "Count In Beats" set to?

When you select audio metronome, bring the click volumes up to max, no not select count in beats, select use during playback, record.

Then go in and arm an audio track and hit record... Does the software record?
    Does it play the Metronome?
    Can you see the time line move as you record?
    After you record do you have a track?
    Does the track playback?
    Does the Metronome play while playback occurs?

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: RE: Can't hear metronome! 2010/07/22 17:57:20 (permalink)
    Duly reported to the moderator for nuisance posting.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1