I'd be sunk without my Daw...

Author
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
2009/02/16 21:01:57 (permalink)

I'd be sunk without my Daw...

...but you have to turn it off in the Navy...even if it does cause a crash!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090216/tuk-nuclear-subs-had-sonar-turned-off-6323e80.html

Despite being equipped with state-of-the-art sonar equipment, neither submarine apparently realised the other was in the same part of the ocean.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/02/16 21:09:31

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy

10 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: I'd be sunk without my Daw... 2009/02/16 21:16:30 (permalink)
    Jon I never knew about the story until earlier. I'd imagine the repair bill would be pretty steep..

wonder if they were both fully comp
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: I'd be sunk without my Daw... 2009/02/16 22:27:39 (permalink)
    that is actually kind of strange. of course when you've got two nuc boats trying to avoid detection successfully, it makes sense that neither heard the other

this was my favorite part:

Liberal Democrat defence spokesman Nick Harvey said: ... "Now that this incident is public knowledge, the people of Britain, France and the rest of the world need to be reassured this can never happen again and that lessons are being learned."

the article goes on to say that the french, in a good faith effort to prevent another such regrettable incident, will be rigging their ultra-silent nuclear first-strike and hunter-killer submarines with state-of-the-art loudspeakers playing the audio track of the most recent "le miserables" released on DVD, so that other ultra-silent nuclear submarines in the area can stay clear of their patrols. a french admiral was quoted as saying, "we expect that most of our patrols will be complete without the need to play the deleted scenes or director commentary."

he did not address the potential fallout of ruining the plot for any american submariners in the vicinity...

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: I'd be sunk without my Daw... 2009/02/17 03:10:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic

that is actually kind of strange. of course when you've got two nuc boats trying to avoid detection successfully, it makes sense that neither heard the other

this was my favorite part:

Liberal Democrat defence spokesman Nick Harvey said: ... "Now that this incident is public knowledge, the people of Britain, France and the rest of the world need to be reassured this can never happen again and that lessons are being learned."

the article goes on to say that the french, in a good faith effort to prevent another such regrettable incident, will be rigging their ultra-silent nuclear first-strike and hunter-killer submarines with state-of-the-art loudspeakers playing the audio track of the most recent "le miserables" released on DVD, so that other ultra-silent nuclear submarines in the area can stay clear of their patrols. a french admiral was quoted as saying, "we expect that most of our patrols will be complete without the need to play the deleted scenes or director commentary."

^^^ ^^^

he did not address the potential fallout of ruining the plot for any american submariners in the vicinity...

Well of course not. He knows full well in the case of another World War it would be at least two years before any American submarine is likely to turn up...
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/02/17 03:16:34

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: I'd be sunk without my Daw... 2009/02/17 07:13:59 (permalink)
    Apparently, as a result of this mid-Atlantic collision, and amid fears over the potental consequences regarding nuclear fallout, the French armed forces have raised their defcon status from "run" to "hide", completely bypassing "collaborate", the first time they've been on this state of alert since 1940.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Fog
    RE: I'd be sunk without my Daw... 2009/02/17 10:16:23 (permalink)
    Colin, I was gonna quote Corporal Jones catch phrase out of Dads army.. but I'll refrain.haha

the relationship between the UK and France now is different... I mean on one hand they own british gas (slow claps the idiot that sold them it) and on the others they are quite happy to let people thru the tunnel and passing the buck
    Bristol_Jonesey
    RE: I'd be sunk without my Daw... 2009/02/17 10:26:40 (permalink)
    Paul, in return, the Premiership (alright - Arsene Wenger) buys up any half decent French footballer and proceeds to pay them wages the rest of can only dream of.

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Fog
    RE: I'd be sunk without my Daw... 2009/02/17 10:32:52 (permalink)
    arsenal / france.. it's confusing.. I thought arsenal had changed their strip to blue...haha

even 1st / 2nd division players are on a decent wage, either via the club or via endorsements (e.g. free cars)

on one hand I feel sorry for the supporters been taken for mugs that have a bottomless pit of money, but on the same token.. they should refuse to pay the over inflated session ticket prices etc..

the same thing is happening with cricket now..

I don't think it's going so well when they tried to make darts showbiz like.lol
    Bristol_Jonesey
    RE: I'd be sunk without my Daw... 2009/02/17 10:38:08 (permalink)
    And Ronnie O'Sullivan wants the same thing to happen with snooker, I mean come on Ronnie - yes you're good, very very good, but please, leave the marketing of your sport to the professionals eh lad?

Can you imagine the Crucible crowd, all tanked up on wicked strength lager?

The mind boggles.

jacktheexcynic
    RE: I'd be sunk without my Daw... 2009/02/17 18:03:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

Well of course not. He knows full well in the case of another World War it would be at least two years before any American submarine is likely to turn up...

ha

- jack the ex-cynic
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: I'd be sunk without my Daw... 2009/02/17 18:05:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bristol_Jonesey
    And Ronnie O'Sullivan wants the same thing to happen with snooker, I mean come on Ronnie - yes you're good, very very good, but please, leave the marketing of your sport to the professionals eh lad?

Can you imagine the Crucible crowd, all tanked up on wicked strength lager?

The mind boggles.

i have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it sounds funny.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1