Will You Be Watching the Brits..

Author
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
2009/02/18 14:36:05 (permalink)

Will You Be Watching the Brits..

Hey,

Just curious what folks 'round here think about the Grammies Brits these days.

I usually try to tune in and watch to see what's happening in the current popular music world. However, I usually record it and watch it later later while zooming through the parts I'm not interested in.

Your take?

(ok.. so it's Dave's text from the Grammies.. but hey.hehe)

Austrialia's favourite import is hosting it apparently.. No Jon, thats not Rolf Harris... No Steve thats not Barry Humpries... no Garry thats not Castlemaine 4x

can't be any worse that the bodge fleetwood and fox made of it years ago

although Jonny Vegas insulting all the industry folk saying what you know about buying a CD, if it hasn't got "promo" written on it ya wouldn't know it was quality
post edited by Fog - 2009/02/18 14:44:58

24 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 14:40:04 (permalink)
    With Coldplay and Duffy nominated? I think..not.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Fog
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 14:40:55 (permalink)
    james you dislike both that much? I'm not a big fan of Duffy's voice to be honest
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 14:48:35 (permalink)
    Coldplay - navel gazing, wishy-washy pseudo art-rock, with awful lyrics.

Duffy - horrible calculated 'retro' faux-soul, ghastly voice, dreadful repetitive lyrics (and what's with that awful 'dancing without moving my feet' thing on every appearance?)

'Course, I don't really have an opinion on 'em..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 15:16:28 (permalink)
    Hey Fog Im watching it now, U2 opened the ceremony, Duffy has just picked up Best British female artist, Katy Perry best overseas female artist. Not really interested in the awards bit, I'm sure their families are really pleased, but it does nothing for me. but the live performances are what I like to see. Kylie is hosting, she looks lovely tonight <sigh>

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 15:25:14 (permalink)
    What station is it on? I'm listening to TMS.

VJ
    Fog
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 15:29:18 (permalink)
    VJ it's on ITV1

although.. if they said you would be co-hosting with kylie... would you wear that outfit the blokes out of Gavin and Stacey had to wear?

I forgot how bad the anti-swear filter was on it.. Who ever does the mixing with the audio at the start was

ah well minder looks good on channel 5

although what the heck are girls aloud doing on it.. same old song that was out months ago

it's supposed to be the "brits" a fair bit of the music I listen to NEVER featured on it.. perhaps it should be renamed the brits.. (if your signed to a major )

Garry I've seen U2 live.. very good.. or is that my Irish roots speaking trying to get tickets to see them these days is a nightmare, since that didn't play Wembley for a LONG time.

James I'd rather go to a coldplay concert than a duffy one if I had to..hehe

they really are a bit like marmite (you like em or hate em)... I do find it funny their conflict with a certain other band though.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/18 15:39:50
    VinylJunkie
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 15:41:26 (permalink)
    Why is an Australian hosting the Brits?

it's supposed to be the "brits" a fair bit of the music I listen to NEVER featured on it.. perhaps it should be renamed the brits.. (if your signed to a major

I think it's always been like that.

Do you remember way back, the debacle when Sam Fox hosted it?

VJ
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 15:43:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog
    Just curious what folks 'round here think about the Grammies Brits these days.

The pop music industry is a global conspiracy -- from Boston to Bangalore, Toronto to Tokyo, London to LA... a ultra-secret corporation called "Musicorp, Inc." is at the top of the conglomerate pyramid of music, TV, and film studios, production companies, and distribution and marketing companies. The head of Musicorp, Inc. is an alien of Orion descent who goes by the name "Mr. J.P. Blort" -- I do not know, at present, what the initials "J.P." stand for. Mr. Blort's right-hand man, is one Mr. Simon Cowell, presently of "American Idol" fame in the US, and previously of "Pop Idol" fame in the UK. In conspiracy theory circles, it is believed that ancient prophecy foretells of a massive and global breakage of the earth's crust on the date December 21, 2012 utilizing a heretofore unknown technology, ominously referred to by the ancients as "Really Big Radio" (as literaly translated from the ancient texts). Theorists believe that Musicorp, Inc. has been developing the foretold technology in secret underground bases in the US as well in secret chambers underneath the Vatican, and aim to utilize this technology in an attempt at mass brainwashing of the world's population. The exact purpose of the proposed mass brainwashing is, as of yet, unknown, but it is widely speculated that 2011 is the last year that FOX will license "American Idol" from it's producers, 19 Entertainment, Ltd., of which Simon Cowell is a major stakeholder.
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 15:45:18 (permalink)
    I've seen U2 live twice, one supporting The Police at Gateshead Stadium, as the sun went down Bono came back on during The Police's set and sung "Invisible Sun" with them, actually quite moving and apt as it was one of the few (only?) political songs Sting wrote for The Police. I also saw them at Wembley I think summer 98 on the Popmart tour, the sound that day was terrible, spoiled it for me, loved the giant lemon though !!!

STOP PRESS - King of Leon won best International Band (or something like that) now I LOVE that lot........
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/02/18 15:50:52

Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 16:30:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Coldplay - navel gazing, wishy-washy pseudo art-rock, with awful lyrics.

Duffy - horrible calculated 'retro' faux-soul, ghastly voice, dreadful repetitive lyrics (and what's with that awful 'dancing without moving my feet' thing on every appearance?)

'Course, I don't really have an opinion on 'em..

Well said, James. But when it comes to Coldplay, don't forget "wimpy."

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Fog
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 16:52:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: VinylJunkie

Why is an Australian hosting the Brits??

we sorta adopted her as a brit I guess

I've said it before and I'll say it again , even though she's almost 5 years older than me I'd still take her out for a fish n chip supper.. although 90% of her music I don't have time for.

Keith you know who owns the rights to Hallelujah ?

http://news.stv.tv/entertainment/66344-cowell-rakes-in-pound250000-per-day-from-hallelujah/

so even if others bought the others as a protest vote, he'd still get a cut.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/18 17:16:21
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 17:05:11 (permalink)
    Great to see The Kings of Leon on the Brits. I dropped so many hints about their latest album I ended up with two of them this Christmas, good to see a "proper" live performance on there, although The Pet Shops Boys were very entertaining too, I do have a soft spot for the Shoppies

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 18:05:50 (permalink)

... No Steve thats not Barry Humpries...

Better looking than Barry Island

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 18:14:23 (permalink)
    And the special NME Backslapping a non-entity, talentless, Brighton art college Student with no public appeal whatever but has a very rich daddy award goes to..................................Who cares?...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 18:32:42 (permalink)
    I've never had much respect for any type of ''Grammy'' or ''Granny'' shows, but I have respect for one thing as far as pop music goes: The Brits will still lead the way!

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/18 19:00:04 (permalink)

Do you remember way back, the debacle when Sam Fox hosted it?

Erm....errr....ah...er...Sam...err....mm....Fox.....a-a-and.....Mick.....err...ah.....Fleetwood.

Oh I'm sorry Mick Fleetwood couldn't be with us......wait a minute here he is..........oh but it's my turn to speak.... I think.

No I don't remember that...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Fog
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/20 17:26:53 (permalink)
    oscars soon.. looks like slum dog millionaire vs benny something or other..(the one with Bradd Pitt) will be the 2 main things competing

VinylJunkie
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/20 17:43:17 (permalink)
    Way too much blubbing at these things. Haven't seen Slum Dog yet, but a couple of friends said it's good.

VJ
    Fog
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/21 21:44:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

Erm....errr....ah...er...Sam...err....mm....Fox.....a-a-and.....Mick.....err...ah.....Fleetwood.

I had a flashback to quantum leap..hehe

can't recall someone called "fleetwood" being in it though
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/21 22:00:03 (permalink)

Haven't seen Slum Dog yet, but a couple of friends said it's good.

It's very entertaining... It's not perfect, by any mean, but compared to some of the cinematic turds I've seen over the past years... Slumdog has a little bit of everything, and watches like a book, IMO. Ending is a bit cliche, but the first 85% makes up for that.

Now, this Brad Pitt movie... I hadn't heard one damn thing about it, until JUST ALL OF A SUDDEN, WOULDN'T YOU KNOW, IT'S THE MOVIE TO GO SEE. Then all the idiot talking heads are like "Brad Pitt's gonna win an oscar... Brad Pitt's gonna win an oscar blah blah blah". I hadn't even heard of this thing, then BAM! everybody's gushing over it. Who knows, maybe it's good.

Last really good movie I saw was "The Wrestler" with one grizzled looking Mickey Rourke. Very well done I thought.
    Fog
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/21 22:05:47 (permalink)
    Mickey Rourke, did an interview here last night about it.. ya know.. chat show = plug movie..

it was interesting about his rise / fall in the business, and he told of a story of a certain film.. the director wanted to pay rubbish money.. so out of principle he said no... I maybe hungry.. but you guys are taking the *cough*

so next day he gets a call from Sly Stallone who is in the movie also I guess, he says.. ok.. say the fee was "xyz" instead.. would you do it... he says yep...

later it turns out the director had nothing to do with giving the extra money, Sly gave him the money out of his own pocket / fee.

Although Mickey did look ODD now, I dunno I guess we are getting on.. he said intially before taking the part that wrestling was easy etc.. and he soon changed his mind when he had to work out for the part and damaged himself a few time.s
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/22 05:36:41 (permalink)

Mickey Rourke, did an interview here last night about it.. ya know.. chat show = plug movie..

it was interesting about his rise / fall in the business, and he told of a story of a certain film.. the director wanted to pay rubbish money.. so out of principle he said no... I maybe hungry.. but you guys are taking the *cough*

so next day he gets a call from Sly Stallone who is in the movie also I guess, he says.. ok.. say the fee was "xyz" instead.. would you do it... he says yep...

later it turns out the director had nothing to do with giving the extra money, Sly gave him the money out of his own pocket / fee.

Although Mickey did look ODD now, I dunno I guess we are getting on.. he said intially before taking the part that wrestling was easy etc.. and he soon changed his mind when he had to work out for the part and damaged himself a few time.s

Yeah I saw that interview with Mickey Rourke too, he was one of my favourite actors back in the day, I hope he can work his way back, this latest performance looks promising, athough I haven't seen it yet, might go this week. He seems to be a bit more grounded nowadays, I say seems as I never forget even a chat show is a "performance" His humour was self-depreciating, which was promising, shame about the plastic surgery. The interviewer Ross is also better without the self indulgent childish over-the-top smut he used to peddle.

EDIT: Shame no one appears to be able to take over Parky's mantle as an interviewer. Although he lost it a bit in recent years, Mickey Rourke would be a great interview in the hands of the classic Parky, and I miss that. I think nowadays the interviewers see themselves as a celebrity in their own right, and this is the problem. Parky was a good old fashioned journalist at heart, and had a respect for the performing arts that encouraged digging deeper than the inane banter that passes for most interviews nowadays
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/02/22 05:49:41

Garry Stubbs
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/22 06:18:37 (permalink)

he said intially before taking the part that wrestling was easy etc.. and he soon changed his mind when he had to work out for the part and damaged himself a few time.s

I think I would have excelled in the part, I saw some clips of the wrestling scenes, reminded me of a normal Sunday at home with the first wife !!!

Fog
    RE: Will You Be Watching the Brits.. 2009/02/22 09:17:01 (permalink)
    Garry, ah the whole M word.. theres only 1 girlfriend I had who I thought was wife material... another one asked me to marry her, yep she was a nice woman.. just WAY too bossy and I could have seen the knock on effect on my music work.

got a text from a friend saying she's spliting up with her 3rd hubby.. jeez.. and another friend who is getting married, this time I told him to make damn sure it was the right one. His first wife was giving me the eye the first time I met her, always a bad sign and after that I made excuses not to visit..

so yep, it's a bit like a soap opera, maybe ok to watch, but not as part of your real life.hehe

As for Parky.. lets face it , his time was done.. he's best known for the Ali interview... that annoying twerp Peirs is apparently doing a chat show... but Ross hhhm he's getting money for old rope..

right off to smiths to go get life on mars... me buying NOTW.. aggh!! ah well works out a lot cheaper than buying the box set..

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1