Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album?

Author
Sonic the Hedgehog
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 733
2009/02/18 18:51:38 (permalink)

Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album?

I must say, it is so good that it would have to be one of my favourites - along with Rush's Snakes and Arrows - from the past few years!

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler

13 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/18 20:59:42 (permalink)
    not heard it, he should be giving his music away free .. he's made enough in the past
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/18 22:00:36 (permalink)
    He can't do that. He needs to keep some for possible future divorce settlements...

ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/18 22:09:08 (permalink)
    I'd love to give it a full listen. I must admit that the excerpts I've heard did nothing for me (even though I love most of his stuff - and recent Rush as well...).

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/19 00:56:51 (permalink)
    I hear he's getting married again!

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    blinduncledallas
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/19 08:38:47 (permalink)
    I really love this album. I read an interview with Flood and Macca where they said a lot of it was improvised on the spot (especially lyrics) and recorded very quickly. 'Lots of first takes and magic mistakes'

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/19 09:09:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lespaulman35

I hear he's getting married again!

indeed.. hope he chooses wisely this time.

Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/19 18:03:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: blinduncledallas

I really love this album. I read an interview with Flood and Macca where they said a lot of it was improvised on the spot (especially lyrics) and recorded very quickly. 'Lots of first takes and magic mistakes'

Indeed it sounds fresh due to that. However, Youth's production is excellent at keeping everything together. It doesn't even sound like a McCartney album - it's just a great rock album with lots of experimental sounds and powerful bass lines.

blinduncledallas
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/19 19:50:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sonic the Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: blinduncledallas

Indeed it sounds fresh due to that. However, Youth's production is excellent at keeping everything together. It doesn't even sound like a McCartney album - it's just a great rock album with lots of experimental sounds and powerful bass lines.

I have always loved Flood's use of reverb to make a big 'wash' of sound in certain songs. The song on this album 'sing the changes' is a perfect example of this. He also did it a lot on the Smashing Pumpkins album 'mellon collie'. Whenever I try to replicate that 'sound', it just sounds like a confusing mush. I'd love to know his secret.

Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/19 20:32:39 (permalink)

You've hit one of the nails: In recent years - as far as rock/pop is concerned - we've been hearing to lower the reverbs(probably due to the loudness quest and that In-Your-Face sound) when some of the most beautiful music have taken advantage of this effect, whether in a real acoustic space or otherwise. To hear it like this on a rock album gives that fresh otherworldlyness not usually associated with rock music. In a way, it reminds me of the ''aahh's'' in A Day In The Life. Ethereal.

blinduncledallas
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/19 20:50:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sonic the Hedgehog

You've hit one of the nails: In recent years - as far as rock/pop is concerned - we've been hearing to lower the reverbs(probably due to the loudness quest and that In-Your-Face sound) when some of the most beautiful music have taken advantage of this effect, whether in a real acoustic space or otherwise. To hear it like this on a rock album gives that fresh otherworldlyness not usually associated with rock music. In a way, it reminds me of the ''aahh's'' in A Day In The Life. Ethereal.

The blame for the 'totally dry, in your face sound' in recent years is totally on Rick Rubin's shoulders. It works well with some of the artists he's worked with i.e. Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond and The Chilli Peppers. But a recent, horrendous example of a totally (for me) ruined album is Metallica's latest. It's just painful and sickening to listen to. It's so squashed and limited I can't listen to it any more. I did download the infamous 'guitar hero' mix which sounds a lot lot better. There are dynamics and it still sounds heavy. Anyway, I'm getting away from the point.

My current quest is to use reverb a lot more and not to be so scared of it. I realise I actually know hardly anything about the use and mixing of reverbs because for the past few years, I haven't used it, especially on instruments which is a total eye opener for me right now. Like a Pandora's box of possibilities. I remixed an old song as a test and used lots of reverb on the tracks and it sounds like a different song. Just so much better and atmospheric.

I've ordered a few mixing and mastering books from amazon to help me in my quest for reverb perfection. I'm currently loving the Waves IR-1 convolution reverbs. They sound so real. The plate setting is particularly fantastic....

I've gone a bit OT there but I suppose it all links in with Flood and his genius use of reverb!

I forgot another one 'The downward spiral' by NIN. All of the ambience from that record comes from flood. Even synths and white noise have some reverb happening somewhere. It would sound crap without his input I reckon.

I'll shut up now. Reverb reverb reverb. lol

i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/20 02:29:02 (permalink)
    yea, it's PMcartney doing PMartney.it's about ****ing time!

Still raining...still dreaming!
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/20 19:01:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: i8ipop

yea, it's PMcartney doing PMartney.it's about ****ing time!

100% here. Way long overdue by about...30 years?

blinduncledallas
    RE: Anyone heard McCartney's new Fireman album? 2009/02/20 23:29:00 (permalink)
    NOTHING beats 'The Frog Chorus' though. NOTHING. ;)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1