CPU Thoughts for a New Build

Author
nicolo paganini
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 85
2009/02/19 23:10:58 (permalink)

CPU Thoughts for a New Build

I will be building a new pc soon and want to know if I should only consider intel processors or are AMD fair game. It seems that AMD prices are rather reasonable right now for phenom x4 etc. Any thoughts? Currently I run s8 on a core 2 duo machine. I use a second pc (an old P4) in my studio mainly for stand alone soft synths (vienna instruments and the like). I plan on building a quad core system of some type and using the core 2 duo for the soft synths.

5 Replies Related Threads

musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    RE: CPU Thoughts for a New Build 2009/02/20 02:45:54 (permalink)
    I just completed this shopping / research cycle and fwiw I learned the following: Anything intel q6600 through the new I7s give people very good results. The AMD chips look appealing if you already have compatable components. But if I was starting from ground zero, I would stay with intel. That looks like it could change in the future as AMD seems to be getting their act together a little better,

Faster is always better - I tend to buy just behind the edge. I did not go with the I7 even though the 920 chips are priced close to my final choice - - it's the higher motherboard and memory prices that edged me toward a Studio Cat's intel q9550 system.

Dave

Dave
    Songs

wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: CPU Thoughts for a New Build 2009/02/20 20:48:00 (permalink)
    I'm going through the same research project as well.
    I've always been an Intel fan so AMD is not even on the table for me.
    Why?
    When my Intel rig was running fine, many of my AMD friends were having weird problems. We could never totally pin it on the AMD but I really had to wonder. This goes all the way back to the Ted Perlman days with the pete Leoni roll your own (older Cakers will know).

So now that my eyeballs are totally sore from googling and reading I have arrived at either:

An Asus P5* board with a Q9550
    or a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R with the same processor.

I've read a lot of horror stories with DOA Asus boards lately so I am a little nervous about that plus Newegg always seems to be out of stock on these boards.

The Digidesign nuts (AKA how many D-Verbs can you run?) over on DUC swear by Asus with Giga a close second.

As a second choice, since I use mostly VSTi and really no more than 16 AUDIO tracks with a few effects, I was wondering if a Core DUO might be a better price/performance for me?

I use IVORY/Addictive/DFH A LOT and I'm not sure I will be gaining much by going with the Core Quad?

Am I going to see THAT much of a difference between duo and quad?

I'm coming from a 3ghz P4 mind you :)

What about memory?
    800 or 1066?

I would guess that for Ivory this would be a biggie?

Any ideas?
    Please?
    I'm begging :)

P.S.I've read some of the great stuff jcschild has written here and on gearslutz BTW but I am still confused, especially about the various sub models of Giga and Asus within the model types?
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    RE: CPU Thoughts for a New Build 2009/02/21 02:56:28 (permalink)
    I wish i could help you more on your choices - those boards would probably be fine. After speaking with Jim at Studio Cat I decided to empower him with all those critical choices. He has built so many rock solid machines for daw users over the years and I have not read a single negative comment. Only praise.

He is building me a q9550 with 4 gig of ram, a 250gb and 500gb machine coming to my door OC'd at 3.4 - running cool, quiet with Sonar installed / Vista64 optimized. This daw should last me for several years with low latency power. I have read several bench mark conclusion and this chip stands up to the more expensive extreme chips. The I7 being the one chip that brings even lower latency. But would add probably another 300 to 400 more dollars to account for the higher priced mobo and ddr3 memory. Frankly, the q9550 is probably overkill for my daw needs. I like to run a lot of plugs and vsti's to go with around 40 or so audio tracks. It is my understanding this daw will be able to handle at least 100 tracks with copious use of pluggins without having to rely on freezing. Just amazing considering I can make really good music now using under 30 tracks.

It is just a matter of loading my other programs, project files, pluggins and I will be recording and mixing fairly soon after taking it out of the box. He is great to work with and his prices are pennies on the dollar when you consider the headache free / plug and play approach I will be enjoying. He has been very assessable and helpful. Give him a call - I think you will see what I am talking about.

http://www.studiocat.com/

Best of luck and let us know how this daw project progresses for you.

Dave

Dave
    Songs

bpclark
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: CPU Thoughts for a New Build 2009/02/21 09:00:34 (permalink)

I just put together a system using that Gigabyte board and Q9550. I also put together a system for my church with an Asus (I think it was a P5k) with core2duo.

IMO the Gigabyte board is the better choice in terms of hardware and software features.
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: CPU Thoughts for a New Build 2009/02/21 09:54:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bpclark

I just put together a system using that Gigabyte board and Q9550. I also put together a system for my church with an Asus (I think it was a P5k) with core2duo.

IMO the Gigabyte board is the better choice in terms of hardware and software features.

Thanks guys!!

How much of a speed difference, running DAW stuff of course, do you notice between the Duo and the Quad.
    I've looked at all the test reports etc, but I'm not looking for running 300 D-Verbs etc but more real world performance.

I know it's always better to be fast but realistically what am I looking at?

The Gigabyte looks like a more solid board to me.
    TIA
    post edited by wormser - 2009/02/21 10:00:14
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1