Ambient Music... From where do i start ?

Author
mau65
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2009/02/21 12:56:19 (permalink)

Ambient Music... From where do i start ?

Hi to you all,

Need an "Internet Coffee" today.

At 44, i'm a bit tired to team up with the classic "rock band"... Going to rehearsals, talking about "what to play and what not", searching for new musicians when someone give up... I want to start something on my own using Sonar 8 & Project 5 as... Bandmates.

My free time has becomed so precious, i would like to spend it with my first passion, music, but in a new constructive way.

Two years ago, surfing the net, i've found a fascinating '70 musical scene also known as Kraut Rock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krautrock

So, i've bought (and listen) some cds of Can, Neu!, Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra Temple, Amon Dull etc. Really awesome music !

Now, i would like to ask if someone of you all, has never done something like that...

I know, there's a lot of electronic music out, but this is totally different. I'm not interested in Hip Hop, Trance and similiar (with much respect...), i would like to create sonic textures and play some modern psichedelic music "all by myself".

So, people... From where should i start ? Need your experiences (if any), intersting links, your comments...

20 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/21 13:35:36 (permalink)
    Project 5 is a good start as a tool for exploring that kind of thing and there are some really clued up guys in that forum on getting going with that.

Reason is another good tool for the genre as you have many choices for sonic exploration in the box without running up a huge bill in different software synths for different sounds/textures. It rewires to Sonar quite nicely as does P5.

Having got the tools for the job it's a case of listening, experimenting and more listening.

There are useful resources all over the net and when you hear something that you like that has been done by somebody else if you can get your hands on the project file to see how the end result was arrived at so much the better.

To that end user forums for the products you are using are a great help and you can hear the folk that are travelling roughly in the direction you want to go in and will be able to ask questions directly of them, normally people are happy to help. In no time you will become adept enough on the use of your tools to be able to bend them into your own shape and style.

Here's an example of a Reason user forum and their Ambient song charts. Most of the files will be Reason project files but there should be a few mp3's to listen to if you don't have Reason.

http://www.reasonstation.net/songs/chart.php?ft_style=0&ft_type=0&ft_num=0&ft_hst=3&page=

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/21 17:43:55 (permalink)
    mau,

welcome to a different world of music. My fav is Tangerine Dream's "Sorceror" soundtrack (for the Friedkin movie, which is one of my top ten favs, too). It bridges the gap between total soundscape (like TD's early stuff) and arp/analog sequenced stuff that came later.

Arp/sequencing is one of the standard things - but it has to be monophonic (analog didn't lend it self to chords). It is akin to the bass sequences in disco - think Goldfrapp.

The other necessity is synths. Soft synths are excellent, don't let someone tell you to spend $2000 on a real analog (tho I do have an orginal moog and Arp Oddessy). Rapture is a great one for doing synth stuff. Then a different one for thicker, dirty virtual analog. I use Komplexer, which is a wavetable synth like the PPG (which was another standard for TG and the other kraut bands) but isn't available anymore. I'm sure there are will be plenty of other suggestions. Another good one for VA is Image Line's Poison, esp. if you are new to synth programming. It is simple and models an old siel synth, which had a few tricks up its sleeve.

Have fun.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/21 19:12:57 (permalink)
    must be a texas thang cause thats my fave td too
    ORIGINAL: AT

mau,

welcome to a different world of music. My fav is Tangerine Dream's "Sorceror" soundtrack (for the Friedkin movie, which is one of my top ten favs, too). It bridges the gap between total soundscape (like TD's early stuff) and arp/analog sequenced stuff that came later.

Arp/sequencing is one of the standard things - but it has to be monophonic (analog didn't lend it self to chords). It is akin to the bass sequences in disco - think Goldfrapp.

The other necessity is synths. Soft synths are excellent, don't let someone tell you to spend $2000 on a real analog (tho I do have an orginal moog and Arp Oddessy). Rapture is a great one for doing synth stuff. Then a different one for thicker, dirty virtual analog. I use Komplexer, which is a wavetable synth like the PPG (which was another standard for TG and the other kraut bands) but isn't available anymore. I'm sure there are will be plenty of other suggestions. Another good one for VA is Image Line's Poison, esp. if you are new to synth programming. It is simple and models an old siel synth, which had a few tricks up its sleeve.

Have fun.

@

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/21 19:22:30 (permalink)
    So, i've bought (and listen) some cds of Can, Neu!, Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra Temple, Amon Dull etc. Really awesome music !

And don't forget Roger Powell.
    Your band mates just got more difficult. I don't know what instrument you play but you'll proably want a keyboard synth or two.

Craig DuBuc
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/21 20:34:38 (permalink)
    Don't forget Larry Fast, Jean Michel Jarre, Dave Stewart, early Vangelis, Patrick Moraz, Mike Oldfield, Jan Hammer, Orchestral Manoeuvres - jeez I haven't dug out those disks in decades even though I was once quite passionate about that genre.

The genre evolved around the simple tools of the time, which was monophonic instruments and 8-track decks - many of them predate MIDI, so sequencers weren't even used back then. Many also predate drum machines.

Consequently, they typically start with a part that runs through the whole song and can be used to set the tempo and framework for the tune. It'll usually be a simple bass part, or an arpeggiated rhythmic melody. The idea is that without a sequencer or a drum machine you have to lay down an initial track that serves as a guide for everything else.

Another common characteristic of the genre is few chord changes. The melody usually works around one or two chords throughout the verse, then modulates up to another chord for the chorus, which is usually more complex but still fairly simple.

"Autobahn" is a good example of the genre. A droning bass line holds everything together. Melodic complexity is replaced by tonal complexity.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/21 21:26:30 (permalink)
    Maurizio, It really depends what you define ambient as and what sorta time.. some will go on about textures and drone.. and some of it has very gradual changes so in some cases it doesn't sound like there is a melody.

even how long a tune takes, pink fluffy clouds by the orb from years ago went on for 45 minutes etc.I have an album Extra Vehicular Activity, by E V A. that might be the sort of thing you'd like.. there is a member of the forums who does ambient, something.. court.. jeez my memory is bad. (others know who I mean )

I mean my friend uses NI reaktor for a lot of things, the sound comes across as minimalist , but if you see the arrangement it's a LOT of elements.

kore would be good to use as well to morph between sounds, you just build up a matrix on that etc.

Dave I saw Jarre in Wembley Dave, was funny, I just checked it was 1997 .. some people our age were in front of us drinking beer and smoking something, and a couple were beside us the woman who must have been in here 30's says "whats that funny smell".. haha
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/21 21:43:29 (permalink)
    I think it's all about really exploring the depths of what instruments you have at your disposal and not a quest for having a large collection. I bought a very simple keyboard when I started with out my solo ventures. It was a Kurzweil k1000 back in about 1992 or 93. I bought it simply for the fact that it produced the best basic acoustic instruments at the time. It also had some simple wave forms that could be combined and it proved to have a huge sound design potential because all the basics were there. I got a lot of mileage out it.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/21 22:07:55 (permalink)
    Rbh, the tritons my friend said were like that, he was reminded when I asked him about the k2000.. the sounds were "ok" BUT it was the on board filtering that really made the difference to make the sounds a lot bigger / richer etc.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/21 22:13:10
    space_cowboy
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/21 23:26:59 (permalink)
    Hey
    Brian Eno did his best stuff with a VCS3 and a DX7

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    mau65
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/22 03:21:25 (permalink)
    Hi people...

What can i say ? THANK YOU very much for your ideas and for your replies !

A little bit about me: i'm a guitarist, i've started about... 30 years ago to play guitar in a new-wave/dark band of teenagers (at that time). Not, i'm not still a guitar God, maybe one day...

My favorites guitarist are in the likes of Andy Summer, Adrian Belew, Robin Trower and few others; i love blues (Canned Heat), psychelic rock (early Floyd, Syd Barret) and from '70 to '80 dark (from Sabbath to Bauhaus, Joy Division)

Subsequently, about in 1989/90, a friend of mine told me about Atari 1024 and a "thing" called Cubase... Was a total discover for me. A new world.

In 1999, i decided to give Cakewalk's Home Studio 9 a try... from then on, i ever used Cake (with some exceptions). Actually, i use Sonar Studio 8.0.3 and Project 5 version 2.0 (updated to 2.5.1)

So, i use my pc to track down my songs, my ideas etc. In the recent past, i've used Sonar (HS XL 4) mostly to create songs and/or arrangements to be played with my rock-blues band. Some years of break with the group, now togheter again but...
    I feel the need to change both music and the way i do it.

In the recent years, i've surf the net intrigued by all this hype about electronic music. Most of the artist i've read about, are so-called "producers" (once they were simply Djs...Am i wrong ?) and they made up Hip-Hop, Trance, Electro all musical genres related to the dance floor. I'm not interested to this approach, i've never loved to... dance.

But i've found also another wonderful scene, most related to Seventies, Avant-Garde and Psychedelia, with a bunch of innovatives artists to listen to.
    Totally different approach to electronic music, but still sequencer... related, in some ways.

So, after a period of fascination, i would like to try my own way to compose my sound textures, maybe in a more "melodic" form, more "song related" for now. I love a more relaxed and pensively way to listen to the music and to create it, maybe 'cause i'm growing old and i need to manage my free time in a different way (i've also a 1 year child to make grow).

I'm a little tired to play "same 'ol blues" again & again, it's time to explore new sounds and feelings. And, if the "trial" works, i'll search for a keyboard player and maybe a singer, to perform live.

Thank you again for the artists you've suggested me and for all your precious inputs.

Hope i've not annoyed you with my personal info, only to let you know from where i came...
    post edited by mau65 - 2009/02/22 03:46:33
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/22 08:11:57 (permalink)
    Well there sure seem to be some different definitions of ambient music here. Are you going to be using guitar synths mostly in your compositions?

Craig DuBuc
    mau65
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/22 10:13:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Crg

Well there sure seem to be some different definitions of ambient music here. Are you going to be using guitar synths mostly in your compositions?

No, Crg, unfortunately i don't have a guitar synth; i would like to have one (...specially, to have money for...) but for now, i only have standard electric guitars. But i think i could do a lot with the proper FX/Plugin inside Sonar & Co.

I have also a 4-strings electric bass guitar that, sometimes, i love to play (one finger and/or one plectrum); i use it often to record real bass parts inside Sonar, when i'm not too lazy to use Studio Intruments''s Bass plugin...

It's not a simple task to create intriguing and original sounds with an electric guitar, but i think there's a lot info out, in particular, i believe Cake forum is a mine of informations...
    post edited by mau65 - 2009/02/22 10:54:20
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/22 12:32:15 (permalink)
    A lot of recent music of this genre falls under the titles of "Lounge", "Chill" and "Acid Jazz" music. It's very interesting and fun to create music of this type using today's technology.

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/22 20:49:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

A lot of recent music of this genre falls under the titles of "Lounge", "Chill" and "Acid Jazz" music. It's very interesting and fun to create music of this type using today's technology.

The possibilities are limitless in that direction. Also try to listen to the soundtracks to In The Mood For Love as well as 2046, both by Wong Kar Wai to name but two.
    You'll just need an application like Sonar, a MIDI controller/keyboard and a lot of research on various types of softsynths(Dimension Pro, Native Instruments, etc...) and you're set to go. Obviously, a knowledge of mixing and mastering will get you to your final destination...

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    SF_Green
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1403
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/22 21:38:55 (permalink)
    Yeah - love Can, Tangerine Draem, Brian Eno (and all his various collaborations), & Steve Reich. Some other more modern stuff that you might want to check (but not in the techno, house category) Boards of Canada, Biosphere, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Stars of the Lid, Lull, So Percussion, Tape, Pierre Bastien....

Can't say I have any compositions that are ready for prime time yet, but some of my more interesting stuff I've tended to just come up with playing through a gazillion synth patches at 3 in the morning. Nothing clouding my mind then, and often just get inspired by a really cool patch and start playing with it. Also starting to play with layering it with some chill spacey heavy guitar effects - my Ric 12 string is really good for that. Also, play with bowing the guitar and using e-bow, or slide, or just tapping the strings with a drum stick. I have a lot of the UA plugs and one of my favorites for this kind of stuff is the Plate 140 and the Roland 201 Space Echo.

So just play around, have fun, and see what you come up with that strikes your fancy!
    post edited by SF_Green - 2009/02/22 22:14:12

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
    Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
    space_cowboy
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/22 21:46:41 (permalink)
    To me, ambient music in the vien of the style i believe Eno pioneered has no discernable melody, beat, tonal center, start or end. It sort of appears, unfolds and disappears.

There are tons of things that get lumped into the category ambient that I do not consider ambient.

Real ambient appears to be very difficult to compose.

I have a decent sized collection of that and drone-y stuff. I used to listen to it and meditate. Now I prefer death metal for that. Nah joking.

Mixotonic
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/23 11:37:52 (permalink)
    RadioIO has a nice ambient style internet radio channel and you don't need to sign up to hear it. Forest, the host has over 5000 disks covering the style. You might remember his San Fransico based radio show from the 80's called "Musical Starstreams"

Radio IO Ambient Info

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/23 11:51:38 (permalink)
    Nice one, Mr. Mix

Some good stuff in all the above threads. If I had a model for such music, it would be TD's "Main Theme" from the Sorceror album/CD. Pure, structured synthetic sound. Gritty, without being intentially annoying. And it conveys emotion - something lacking in most electronic stuff. Definately not background music.

Music might have been a little different if Freidkin had found Tangerine Dream before the "Exorcist". He used them for Sorceror, one of my fav films, but it didn't do well, unlike the Exorcist. Large scale success might have spawned a lot of good, hard electronic music, rather than the main street picking up on punk, which was retro rock.

A funny story. In college I had my tape deck under the seat of my car. I picked up a kinda spacy girl to go out and started the car. TD's main dream came over the speakers - it starts out quiet enough. "what is that!?" and she started looking around for aliens in the sky, turned the radio knob for no effect and was getting really agitated before I finally broke down laughing. She didn't think it was too damn funny, but another reason I love the song.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    mau65
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/23 15:55:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mixotonic

RadioIO has a nice ambient style internet radio channel and you don't need to sign up to hear it. Forest, the host has over 5000 disks covering the style. You might remember his San Fransico based radio show from the 80's called "Musical Starstreams"

Radio IO Ambient Info

Thank you so much Mixotonic for the link, and thanks to all the others members for a such interesting discussion...!
    Guitarzan54
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Ambient Music... From where do i start ? 2009/02/23 16:40:52 (permalink)
    Geesus......I have never felt so much like I have no clue what I'm talking about - as I do on this site! LOL

GREAT STUFF GUYS!!!.....I learn something new every single day.

THE GUNS OF HELL!!! --> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=928547
    ---
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 2002 / SP3
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
    1.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
    ---
    Cakewalk Home Studio 9
    Line 6 POD UX2 Pod Farm

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1