how to procure singers

Author
rbecker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 740
2009/02/23 11:18:32 (permalink)

how to procure singers

What is the best way to approach the procuring of singers for my Cakewalk productions? I am looking for maybe one or two male and one or two female singers who need not be professional grade, but better than my terrible croak when it comes to recording my pop/rock tunes. I mostly interested in producing at the level that could be submitted as demos - say to an outfit like Taxi. Someday I might try CDBaby or TuneCore or SoundClick, but I really consider myself more of a songwriter than a performer.

I am a bit of a disadvantage in that I don't move much these days in a very large musical circle. A couple community choirs is about it. So do I advertise? ...Post at the local supermarket?...Where do I find these folks?

Of course I want to spend nothing. I would like to think that any singer I approach would be willing to work simply for the thrill of recording my music, working in a *ahem* "studio", or the possibility - no matter how slim - of getting some sort of exposure to the music industry.

If you do pay, at what level and how do you structure it? By the session? By the tune?...

Maybe it would be better to approach this as more of a partnership than a hire.

Any observations, experiences or suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
---
Sonar Platinum
HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
Windows 10
Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

16 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/23 11:42:07 (permalink)
    singers is a tricky one... from past experience.. you'll get some who have amazing voices BUT a stink attitude to go with it (one in my case comes to mind).

as for paying , well session.. you get them to sign an agreement to say they have been paid ALWAYS. The thing with that is you've paid them for their work.. done...

otherwise you can give them a percentage, cheap to start with BUT if the song went big , your looking at a lot more money.

some singers, well have been found in the most unlikely of places. A few months , at my other job I heard someone singing and she had a decent enough voice.. maybe she had a tip off from someone I work on music. I dunno..

some people have the attitude of I can sing blah blah.. look at the auditions of American idol / x factor.. and some you see they can't sing for toffee.. it's basically car crash TV in their cases.

I just like to work with people who have naturally good voices without enhancement of autotune fx..

I can't sing , I wasn't blessed in that sense, but kinda know what to look for in others... not being able to hold a note / singing slightly out of tune / off timing are probably the 3 main things.

I have to sing, to figure out timings though, but I wouldn't do it in public though.

some adverts you see for session singers, and well they wannabe actors etc etc.. just seem about the money..

I mean if I worked with someone who has a decent voice, I wouldn't care how they looked , but thats this whole thing with size zero women fronting things OR men with a 6 pack etc.. it's image BS that some just buy into..

some of the session / backing singers I know of have amazing voices that cover up the image based peoples weaker voices. Yet they don't front the band..hehe

you have to keep it on a business level if that's the direction its heading, when money comes into things.. friendship goes out of the window.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/23 11:51:56
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/23 12:05:24 (permalink)
    RBecker,

Not sure about your location. What seems to work for a lot of musicians here in the Western US is the Craigslist (http://www.craigslist.org). We organized our band using the list.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/23 12:09:39 (permalink)
    1st, procure is the wrong word. You want a singer or sex?

OK, so where are you? A lot depends on that. And your kind of music and whether you are looking to sell it. And your temperment.

I wouldn't work with anyone I didn't like (unless they were paying me). Of course, I married my main singer, but I wouldn't suggest you go that far (or with that many partners - still illegal most places execpt in Utah).

I'd check out schools (colleges, if you dont' want to get arrested) and local bands. If you do any posting, I'd do it at a music store (hardware), then colleges, then record stores. But be wary of the responses you get. I'd never answer one of those, but you wouldn't want me as a singer, neither. You'll have to do some footwork, networking to find someone who meets your qualifications.

Also, join music myspace to find local singers, musicians. My wife has met lots of great people here in Dallas. And she has sung for some bands that are scattered across the country (USA). She also has been rehearsing with some local guy that I call "too many notes." He's a guitarist (quite good, actually and played with stevie ray vaugn). She met him at a gig with her rock band - he knew the guitarist and played a song or two onstage with them (@#*$ I hate such guest artists, but it might help you). And no, she is too busy as it is to sing for you, too. I had a **** of a time clawing out some free time for her to do our work.

If you are doing music and hope to make money off your recordings, Fog's dictum is a good one. Be aware, also, that if the singer changes/adds to your melody, they get some copyright (to be determined later by the highest paid lawyer). If you are just having fun, still be sure to work out the above - paying work for hire union rates is onerous but the surest way to safeguard your copyright/recordings. And give them credit.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    rbecker
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/23 14:41:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

1st, procure is the wrong word. You want a singer or sex?

OK, so where are you? A lot depends on that. And your kind of music and whether you are looking to sell it. And your temperment.
    [snip]

Fog, Doc, AT...Thanks for the replies so far.

"Procure"...sorry about that. Guess the subject should be "How to land session singers". Although in the broadest sense, I'm probably not far off the mark.

Like I said, I'm mostly interested in the songwriting part of the industry, not so much production... and yes - I would like to sell my music. I think that that's where my best chances lie.

I should be so lucky to have to worry about splitting a couple million with a singer. To me it seems kind of cheesy to offer a 'piece of the action' to a singer as payment when there may never BE any action, unless I make the odds very clear I suppose.

I like the ideas about craigslist and myspace. Colleges and music stores.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/23 15:42:42 (permalink)
    rbecker,

No, you don't want to offer a piece to the singer - or producer. That is why you have to be careful about copyrights. If there is one change in the work they can claim responsiblity for, they can. Which is why you need to work with people you trust or know, or work out a deal based on union scale. "If I sell this song, I'll give you xyz"if you're not in a position to pay up front. Colleges are a good bet since young 'ens are always looking for something to put on a resumé. And don't forget the theater dept - they can sing.

luck,

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/23 20:37:38 (permalink)
    You walk into 2 or 3 of your local music bars and when there is a moment or two of silence shout out, "are there any singers in here?". No seriously, you have to shop where they advertise. Myspace, craigs list, musicians referal services, your church choir, open mic nights, etc..

Craig DuBuc
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/24 08:33:54 (permalink)
    Rbecker... don't be afraid to post on soundclick. Record your tune with your croaky vox and post it on soundclick.... chances are small someone will "stumble across it" unless you direct them to it...... but you can then post here in the forums and also there are other forums on the net for songwriters including Taxi's own forums. All styles and kinds of music now have their own forums, find one that fits your style. Post on those forums as well ..... seeking vocalists, to redo the vox.

You have a fair chance of finding people who can sing that will be willing to help.... often for free. You can also offer to use YOUR talents to help them with their projects playing your instruments... of course... for free.

A kind of "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine." type of deal. I've jumped in on a number of collabs, and you never know.... you might just run into your songwriting partner that way. Someone who will help you take your writing to the next level.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/25 18:32:39 (permalink)

Hey, there's a whole on-line revolution that's been going on for quite a time.

Networking is a great source of 'procurement' has Herb has just stated above, I'm mostly interested in the writing aspect too and I've been fortunate enough to hook up with some great musicians and vocalists without leaving my apartment, hey there's plenty of 'em right here on these forums too.

The only thing that's required is a bit of give and take to have some great and talented people to perform on your demo's and stuff.

Check the last song on my Soundclick page which is a good example as it features no less than 5 other members of this very forum and I know full well couldn't have hired this much quality for one track from the roster of players available from a lone studio for any amount of money, yet all these guys volunteered and all contributed greatly to the project in a way beyond which any 'session' players would have done.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=836974&songID=7198236

All it takes it a bit of time invested in taking part in a community and getting to know the folk around you wherever you are.

Also worthy of interest around here check out the member Cryophonik's links he has an amazing roster of extremely talented vocalists and I believe he advertised on Craigslist or something similar and went to a lot of trouble weeding out the good from the chaff. Whatever route you take you will need to spend time and energy and as with most things the more you put in the more you are likely to get out.

So if the answer to your question was any closer you'd prolly fall over it!...
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/02/25 18:45:40

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Guitarhacker
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/25 19:20:40 (permalink)
    If you set on the sidelines and listen to various players and singers here, You'll quickly find out who can deliver the goods....and more importantly...do it in your style. Then, when you have a project...send them an email invite.... they might be busy, if so invite someone else....... or they just might be looking for something creative to do.

BMI/NSAI

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/25 19:29:02 (permalink)
    Go check out the songs forum.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    robby
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/25 19:34:10 (permalink)
    This guy's pretty good :-)

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1643395

==================

rbecker
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/25 20:20:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

Hey, there's a whole on-line revolution that's been going on for quite a time.

Networking is a great source of 'procurement' has Herb has just stated above, I'm mostly interested in the writing aspect too and I've been fortunate enough to hook up with some great musicians and vocalists without leaving my apartment, hey there's plenty of 'em right here on these forums too.
    [snip]
    So if the answer to your question was any closer you'd prolly fall over it!...

Thanks for some great input.

How does a 'recording session' work online? What I mean is, working out of my home studio, I would think I would bring in a singer, record as many takes as we think are needed to comp into a winning track...and then send him or her home, leaving the cutting 'n' pasting entirely up to me. By doing this online, what would I expect to receive back from the vocalist....A single track he or she thinks fits the bill?...A bunch of takes that I then manipulate?....something else?

RJB -Vernon Corv 

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10
    Guitarhacker
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/25 20:39:13 (permalink)
    I think Robby is volunteering to do your next song.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/02/25 20:44:59

BMI/NSAI

rbecker
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/25 22:07:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

This guy's pretty good :-)

I have about a dozen tunes I'm making very rough recordings of for documentation purposes. Then I'm going back and doing some serious recording/production. I've only posted one tune "If You Ever Go Away" to soundclick/songs forum so far, but more should follow pretty fast. I remember your comments, Robby -Thanks.

Your voice is about 400-500% better than mine is on a good day. I went to 'rockinrobby' when you posted (I think) 'Once in a Lifetime Girl' to the songs forum. I listened to the four tunes you have there. I really like your singing and unplugged sound. Any songwriter could consider himself in luck if you took on one of his tunes.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10
    robby
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/25 22:18:41 (permalink)
    Ha, thanks man, yeah the point I was making was go to the songs forum, there are tons of really great musicians and singers there, and people are doing colabs all of the time. The link I gave, this one;

Is a colaboration I just did with Rick from Reckless Gents, it came out pretty good :-) But there's a ton of really great singers, song writers, musicians, all right here on this website on that songs forum. Come on over, the water is fine! :-)

==================

rbecker
    RE: how to procure singers 2009/02/26 14:41:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

Come on over, the water is fine! :-)

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks All.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1