Electronics books for beginners???

Author
zippsinc
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 456
2009/02/23 15:47:17 (permalink)

Electronics books for beginners???

Hi there

Can anyone recommend any Electronics books for beginners? There are so much out there that it's confusing.

I'm really interested in learning this stuff and how it relates to music equipment (preamps, effects, A/D converters etc). I just enjoy learning really but this is a major gap in my knowledge. I would really need a text or combination of texts which start from the beginning explaining the very basics and more importantly how not to kill myself learning. Therefore, basic electricity principles would be a must too.

My current level of maths is that I left school with Level 1 (highest) maths at UK Standard Grade level GCSE so I shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage there I suspect - not for a begninner anyway.

I did toy with the idea of getting Craig Anderton's book on 'electronic projects for musicians' but several reviews it received said that some of the stuff featured in it was now hard to come by.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Zipps
post edited by zippsinc - 2009/02/25 14:21:22

7 Replies Related Threads

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Electronics books for beginners??? 2009/02/23 18:48:05 (permalink)
    It's true about Craig Anderton's book to some extent. But alot of the parts are still available. I learned alot about effects as they applied back when the book was published. But after a look at some of the modern gear it's better to know about the principles of operation rather than how they used to work.

You might check into Modern Recording techniques, 6th edition by David Miles Huber. It's a good starting point. As for basic electronics, There are a number of books that go through the basic theories and laws as it relates to electronics, DC current and AC current. I can't pick one off the top of my head as I went through most of that at university. In today's electronic world everything is miniaturized and operates with some sort of DSP.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

zippsinc
    RE: Electronics books for beginners??? 2009/02/24 14:28:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Doc

Appreciate your input.

Will look into the Modern Recording techniques book you suggested and will research some more into basic electronics books available.

Regards

Zipps
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Electronics books for beginners??? 2009/02/24 15:22:43 (permalink)
    National Radio Institute, and Cleveland Institute of Electronics ( I think) still offer courses, some are reasonably priced for beginners in the electronics field.

You can find some books online..... radio shack sells books, also if you have any tech schools close by, they may offer some courses.

As far as the math.... basic ohms law and it's related formulas are quite simple, as you get into frequency formulas and capacitance/ inductance..... well... it gets interesting. Some trig and algebra will help. I suggest getting a decent scientific calculator. It makes the arithmetic simple...and accurate too.

Understanding electronics...at least how current flows and what is happening inside when you twist a knob is good stuff. I've been through some tech school classes and also took classes with NRI & CIE. Good stuff there from all the sources.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    zippsinc
    RE: Electronics books for beginners??? 2009/02/24 15:37:28 (permalink)
    Cheers Herb

Will look into everything you suggested.

My local tech doesn't offer electronics sadly.

Just bought a book which assumes no knowledge of electronics and goes ever-so sightly beyond high school level. Probably a good place for me to start for now.

I now realise I should have at least taken physics when I was younger. Getting A grades in chemistry and biology have not come in handy one bit, interesting stuff though if you count the chemistry degree I started on but never completed. Too busy thinking about girls and loud rock music me thinks. hee hee

Thanks again.

Zipps
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Electronics books for beginners??? 2009/02/24 17:28:42 (permalink)
    zippsinc, as you probably know Craig posts here from time to time.
    it depends what you want them in reference to electronics, or how it is with music..

2 places that'd be good is the library and maplins probably sells books. They used to do projects to make at home.. also there is plenty of home brew stuff on the net.
    e.g. making synths out of old computers and just generally modding things.

you probably could even take it as an evening class at college, we did electronics as part of our computer b-tec years ago.

Herb , we used to have radio shack here.. more known as tandy, but I haven't seen any of them shops for years. maplin is probably the nearest to that.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/24 17:35:38
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: Electronics books for beginners??? 2009/02/25 05:32:51 (permalink)
    Hah! Fog, you remind me of an event from my distant past.

We bought all of the Maplin kits for a synth project they were running - Oscillators, Filters, Envelope Generators, absolutely loads of the things.

We even partially redesigned the signal flow and built our own case for the thing.

After about a year of putting together the PCB's and testing most of them, we realised the futility of it all, as about that time, fully fledged, polyphonic synths were hitting the market, at a street price less than what we paid for the sum of our modules - and it was only monophonic.

I seem to recall swapping the whole thing for a guitar.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    zippsinc
    RE: Electronics books for beginners??? 2009/02/25 14:14:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog

zippsinc, as you probably know Craig posts here from time to time.
    it depends what you want them in reference to electronics, or how it is with music..

2 places that'd be good is the library and maplins probably sells books. They used to do projects to make at home.. also there is plenty of home brew stuff on the net.
    e.g. making synths out of old computers and just generally modding things.

you probably could even take it as an evening class at college, we did electronics as part of our computer b-tec years ago.

Herb , we used to have radio shack here.. more known as tandy, but I haven't seen any of them shops for years. maplin is probably the nearest to that.

Hi Fog

Nah....I didn't know Craig Posted on here. What are the chances of that..lol. Just googled and found out he wrote a Sonar book too. Oopsadaisy.

Maplins for books? Now yer talking. Outstanding. Thanks for that Fog.

Although I haven't found a course locally as of yet. I'll keep looking but may have to consider a distance learning one. An old friend once done an Open University course in Electronics. I'll give him a ring and see wht he can tell me about it.

Thanks again.

Zipps

post edited by zippsinc - 2009/02/25 14:23:26
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1