New System Needed - really need your help!

Author
mr_redbeard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/02/26 13:04:25 (permalink)

New System Needed - really need your help!

hello everyone - this is my first post here. seems like this is the right spot for this post as you all seem to be quite helpful folks. let me apologize in advance if this post is long ...i swear there's a question in there.

here's the problem - i have an old dell 8200 that i'm currently running sonar 6 and fl studio on my current computer. it's a real 'budget' setup, so much so that i plug everything into the mic input on the soundcard (actually sounds surprisingly good for some things). As you can imagine i get drop outs quite a lot and i thought i could get around this by just adding more ram (as the processor is somewhat decent) - unfortunately it's that rdram crap and it's just not worth spending all that money for just 1 or 2 gigs of ram on that system.

my next solution was to simply swap the motherboard/cpu/ram - it looked to be just a bit more $ than getting more rdram ...but after doing some research i found that just can't be done (thanks dell!).

so now i'm stuck having to get a new system, or at least a new motherboard/cpu/case and i could really use some help. I found a lot of useful info on these boards but it seems that most of you are interested/using these monster systems - way more than i need or can afford (a few hundred is going to be a big stretch for me) ...i'm not interested in overclocking or anything else like that. I just need something basic to record my demos with.

i was thinking of getting a barebones system or motherboard/cpu combo and using parts/software i already have: hardrives, cd/rw/dvd drives, video card (i have an agp but my friend will give me his old voodoo pci one), firewire pci (if needed), xp home, etc.

The problem i'm having is that none of the barebones or combos i find use any of the motherboards i've seen specifically recommended here. I know i should be using a gigabyte or intel board but there are just so many choices. And the way intel names their processors confuses the hell out of me (who thought core 2 and dual core were so different that people wouldn't get confused?) same thing with chipsets and etc.
I remember reading that tom had recommended a board that uses a nvidia chipset but most other people say p35 or p45 ...i have no clue about any of this stuff. (i thought i knew a bit about computers before reading this board ha, ha, ha) Somebody help??

*also, i know a bunch of you are from companies that build/sell daw systems and i truly, truly wish i had anywhere near the amount of cash needed to pick one up cause they all look really great but i just don't. i do respect your craft and that you need to eat but i'm stuck trying to get things together on my own. perhaps someday ...my apologies

oh, one last thing - the only other stuff i plan on using the system for is basic web surfing, word processing, maybe itunes music on a seperate hd ...no gaming.

12 Replies Related Threads

vadym33
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/02/28 16:33:42 (permalink)
    Hey!

i am runnig very simple home stuiod too..

i have..

Mackie onnyx satellite...(sound card)
    Sony loptop with 3gigs of ram, 2.16ghz
    m-audio axiom keyboard...

I dont have lots of gear too..very simple...but i have to say i cancreate very high quality demos out of it...

What kind of computer you have?
    I would really suggest to have at least 2gigs of ram and 2.ghz cpu...sonar is very powerful...maybe sell old computer and get better one?
    thats what i would do...i wouldnt wanna go thru all the probles getiing right motherboard and ram..its just i think very risky..
    do you have sound card? i mean aduio interface? yeah i think youd do...

well i dont really have to much gear...and works fine with me...
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/02/28 18:04:56 (permalink)
    you can also buy barebones from me or Jim Roseberry!

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    buckley28
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/03/01 00:42:32 (permalink)
    Check out www.ADKproaudio.com. Scott and the guys over at ADK built my machine for me and I have to say it smokes anything you could get from any warehouse store. I absolutely would never recomend anything else other then a personal DAW machine for use with recording software.

Intel P45 Chipset Motherboard/Intel Q6600 Quad Core Processor OVERCLOCKED TO 3.0G 1333 FSB /4GB RAM/Seagate 160GB OS HDD, 500GB Storage HDD/PNY 9400GT 512MB PCIe Dual Head Dual Link DVI support video card/Tone Port UX1 Audio Interface/SHS7XL
    sandman5000
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/03/01 01:07:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mr_redbeard
    so now i'm stuck having to get a new system, or at least a new motherboard/cpu/case and i could really use some help. I found a lot of useful info on these boards but it seems that most of you are interested/using these monster systems - way more than i need or can afford (a few hundred is going to be a big stretch for me) ...i'm not interested in overclocking or anything else like that. I just need something basic to record my demos with.

*also, i know a bunch of you are from companies that build/sell daw systems and i truly, truly wish i had anywhere near the amount of cash needed to pick one up cause they all look really great but i just don't. i do respect your craft and that you need to eat but i'm stuck trying to get things together on my own. perhaps someday ...my apologies

He isn't looking for a sales pitch.... Any Actual recommendations pertaining to his stated needs? I haven't built in a while (I'm happy with the quad core i built around a year ago). Hopefully another user with recent experience will actually read your post and help you.
    post edited by sandman5000 - 2009/03/01 01:13:30
    ronniebee
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/03/01 02:42:16 (permalink)
    Check out the BareBones at Magic Micro. You can pick and choose from an online menu and they will build as much or as little of it as you want.

I bought a Quad Core Dual Channel for myself, Installed my own 1TB Sata Raid disk and DVD RAM Drives;
    and a dual core PC for my Son, and we're both very happy with them.

http://www.magicmicro.com/pricelist.asp

Ronnie Bee - X3 Producer, 64b 2.6 Q Core PC, Win7, 8mb. 11TB ATA HD Space, Focusrite Pro40 DTS SurSnd, Voice Prism Plus, Dim-Pro & Rapt 64bit. Yamaha Motif XF. RonnieBee'sGigabyteBand - Enchanting Moments Video Studio
    http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=231503
    http://www.cdbaby.com/all/ronniebee
    mr_redbeard
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/03/05 09:34:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jcschild

you can also buy barebones from me or Jim Roseberry!

how much do your barebones systems run and what is included?
    mr_redbeard
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/03/05 09:38:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ronniebee

Check out the BareBones at Magic Micro. You can pick and choose from an online menu and they will build as much or as little of it as you want.

I bought a Quad Core Dual Channel for myself, Installed my own 1TB Sata Raid disk and DVD RAM Drives;
    and a dual core PC for my Son, and we're both very happy with them.

http://www.magicmicro.com/pricelist.asp

i have checked the barebones systems at magicmicro and tigerdirect and etc. - what i'm wondering is, which one is a good one for my needs?? if i knew which one to pick i wouldn't have made the post - i'm even having a tough time deciding between amd and intel now given the prices.
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/03/05 09:59:38 (permalink)
    i'm even having a tough time deciding between amd and intel now given the prices.

I hope you don't choose AMD.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    mr_redbeard
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/03/05 11:19:04 (permalink)
    how about this for a start?:

cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz, 1066FBS (Quad Core) 8000K
    cpu fan: Spire Socket 775 Intel fan
    mobo: gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L
    case: Antec Sonata III

power supply: ??
    DDR2 memory: ??
    case fans: ??

there's lots of different mobos available from ASUS, but 2 from Gigabyte (the one above and X48 DS4)
    glen55
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/03/12 20:25:21 (permalink)
    I know nothing about motherboards - if people think this thing doesn't have the right motherboard or whatever, then someone more technical than me needs to chip in.

But . . . otherwise, try this link:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4348627&sku=S445-10007&SRCCODE=COMEM210TT&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-COMEM210-_-text

It's a reasonably powerful desktop for only $420, including dual 2.5 ghz core processors, 4 gb ram, 2 lovely open firewire ports, and 2 or 3 open pci slots. The sound card is crap, but you should disable it and use some nice external device - at least when you can afford it because that is going to run $150 or more. Another thing to save your pennies for is a big external hard drive with firewire or usb 2.0 connectivity and 7200 or faster (the Seagate xtreme 1.5 tb firewire drive is about $180). Also, you will need to buy a monitor, but you can get a decent 17-20" flatscreen these days for under $100.

Specs are:

Condition: Refurbished
    Lifestyle: Home & Student
    Operating Systems: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Startup Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Platform: PC
    Orientations Allowed: Vertical
    Form Factor: Minitower
    Bays: 2 - 5.25" Drive Bays
    Internal Bays: 6 - 3.5" Drive Bays
    Available 3.5" Drive Bays: 4
    Available 5.25" Drive Bays: 1
    PCI Slots (Total): 2
    PCI Slots (Available): 1
    PCI Express X1 Slots (Total): 1
    PCI Express X1 Slots (Available): 1
    PCI Express X16 Slots (Total): 1
    PCI Express X16 Slots (Available): 1
    Expansion Slots: 4
    PS/2 Keyboard Connectors: 1
    PS/2 Mouse Connectors: 1
    Serial Communication Ports: 1
    USB Ports: 6
    FireWire Ports: 2 x 6-pin
    LAN Ports: 1
    Audio Out Jacks: 5
    Line In Jacks: 1
    Microphone Jacks: 2
    Processor Brand: Intel
    Processor Class: Pentium Dual Core
    Processor Number: E5200
    Processor Speed: 2.50GHz
    Processor Interface: Socket 775
    Processors Supported: 1
    Processors Onboard: 1
    Additional Technologies: Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology
    Dual-Core Technology
    Memory Type: DDR2
    Memory Size: 2x2GB
    Total Memory: 4.0GB
    Memory Speed: DDR2 800 (PC2-6400)
    Memory Slots (Total): 2
    Memory Slots (Available): 0
    Interface: SATA II
    Capacity: 640GB
    Speed: 7,200RPM
    Interface: SATA
    Optical Drive Type: SuperMulti DVD±RW Dual Layer Labelflash
    Optical Drive Class: DVD SuperMulti
    Type: Media Reader
    Capacity: 15-in-1
    Audio Description: Integrated Audio
    Audio Chipset: High Definition
    Channels: 7.1
    Graphics Description: Integrated Graphics
    GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7100
    Video Memory: up to 256MB Shared Memory
    Video Interface: HDMI
    VGA
    Communications Description: Integrated LAN Support
    Interface Type: RJ-45 - Ethernet Connector
    Data Transfer Rate: 10/100/1000Mbps LAN
    Communications Description: 56Kbps PCI Modem
    Interface Type: RJ-11 - Phone Connector
    Power: 300 Watt
    Mouse Type: Optical
    Buttons: 3
    Connection Type: USB
    Keyboard Type: Multimedia
    Connection Type: PS/2
    Connections: USB Powered
    Front Speakers: 2
    Height: 16.34"
    Width: 7.09"
    Depth: 17.32"

The Beatles, Sinatra, Elton John, Zappa, Steely Dan, Howlin' Wolf, Pink Floyd, Al Green, ELO,  Nickelback, at the moment. Yourself?
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/03/13 13:42:36 (permalink)
    I can't afford one of the custom-build PCs that the guys above build (though I'd love one...).
    I just bought a new Dell, and with the conversion to USD, it was around $400.
    Base Unit / Unité de base:
    Vostro 220 Mini-Tower (224-0780)
    Processor / Processeur:
    Core 2 Duo E7400/2.8GHz,3M 1066FSB,Vostro 220 (311-9973)
    Memory / Mémoire:
    3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel DT Vostro (311-9971)
    Hard Drive / Disque dur:
    320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive 7200RPM, 16MB Cache,Vostro (341-7602)
    Floppy Disk Drive / Lecteur de disquette:
    No Media Reader (341-7599)
    Operating System / Système d'exploitation:
    WINDOWS XP PRO SP3 with Windows Vista Business LicenseEnglish,Desktop,Vostro (420-9554)
    Operating System / Système d'exploitation:
    Windows Live Search,Multiple User Interface,SMB (421-0320)
    Mouse / Souris:
    DELL OPTICAL USB MOUSE VOSTRO (330-0077)
    NIC / Carte réseau intégrée:
    Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet (430-3246)
    Modem / Modem:
    No Modem Requested (313-5469)
    CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive / Lecteur CD-ROM ou DVD-ROM:
    16X DVD+/-RW Drive 8X DVD+/-RWwith double-layer DVD+/-R write capability,Vostro (313-7024)
    Sound Card / Carte de son:
    Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio,Vostro (313-7020)

Seems pretty good for the price, and since it's WXP I can just drop my M-Audio 2496 right into it without driver issues.
    My last Dell was bought in 2002 and just started wavering recently. Not knocking the $1500 machines being built, but for the price it suits a hobbyist like me!
    post edited by Slugbaby - 2009/03/13 13:49:04

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    RE: New System Needed - really need your help! 2009/03/13 15:16:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: edentowers

I hope you don't choose AMD.

I've very successfully used both Intel and AMD in the past, in fact my main machine is an AMD at the moment.

I always hear people bashing AMDs for DAW systems but my experience has been nothing but good with them!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1