Taylor Swift, SNL

Author
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
2009/03/01 00:57:53 (permalink)

Taylor Swift, SNL

I mean, she's a hot little piece of cheesecake and all? And she wasn't "bad". And I applaud her for not doing the Ashly Simpson lip sink thing, she was definately singing (playing? not sure), but she was singing. And it wasn't bad. But this is national TV?

I hear songs on the songs forum by people with more talent in their little finger than that woman has in her entire body. It wasn't bad, it was ok, and she's easy on the eyes, but ???

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

27 Replies Related Threads

Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 01:12:11 (permalink)
    Are you saying she shouldn't have been there? Well, the alternative is Kanye West, apparently, so pick your poison. On one hand, you have tall, pretty, vapid little girl who grew up listening to Jewel CDs, and on the other hand, you have... welll... We're talking about a musical forum where Kings of Leon is a towering giant of unrivaled achievement.
    robby
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 01:38:01 (permalink)
    Well, like I said, she was attractive (very) and she wasn't bad? She was ok, good even? But I hear MUCH better music on the songs forum right here on this site? :-( If it was Kanye, I would have turned the channel...
    post edited by robby - 2009/03/01 01:43:54

==================

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 01:39:16 (permalink)
    Robby, funny you should bring this up. To me Taylor swift is the opitome of what's wrong with the music industry... Meanwhile the suits are all wondering "why can't we sell more CDs boo hoo blah blah...".

I first saw Taylor Swift's cute little mug plastered all over itunes, I'm gonna say last Sept or Oct, and around the same time I started hearing all the "buzz" about Taylor Swift this, Taylor Swift that.... and I'm like who the hell is Taylor Swift?! Like what freakin' rocket ship did she get beamed down from where ALL OF A SUDDEN this person I've never heard of before is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread?! So I ignore all that cuz I'm not actually inclined to get any sampling of Taylor Swift, thank you very much...

So I'm in the car not two days ago, and the FM is going, and there's this song on the radio that is total excrement. I mean generic, bland pop, with a cutesy pop princess voice singing about Romeo and Juliet or some generic crap. Now, when I listen to FM I usually don't actually listen, it's just sorta there in the background... but this tune was so bad that my subconscious mind actually pointed out to my conscious mind how bad the song currently playing on the radio was. I couldn't believe my ears, how bad this song was. It sounded like somebody took a generic 3-chord pop tune with cliche lyrics and cliche "hook" (as it were), sucked all the musicianship out of it, watered that down into a runny swill of generic musical "ideas", then tried to turn what was left into a country crossover, but without any actual country "twang", if you know what I mean. If bleached white bread had a musical equivalent, this song would be it. And like bleached white bread, to your point, it's not like it's bad , per se... like putting a fresh dog turd in a hot dog bun would be bad... but with bleached white bread there's just nothing there, right? What does air taste like? At least chicken tastes like chicken...

So I tune into SNL tonight (a rerun), and Taylor Swift comes on, and there's the freakin' song!!! Ahh... it all makes sense to me now. Daddy probably knows somebody. Or maybe Daddy is somebody.
    keith
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 01:42:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby
    If it was Kanye, I would have turned the channel...

Kanye West was on SNL last week (another rerun)... dude couldn't find the pitch even with the autotune...
    robby
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 02:12:42 (permalink)
    Yeah LOL! She did that "Romeo and Juliet" song tonight!!

==================

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 03:17:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: keith

Robby, funny you should bring this up. To me Taylor swift is the opitome of what's wrong with the music industry... Meanwhile the suits are all wondering "why can't we sell more CDs boo hoo blah blah...".

I first saw Taylor Swift's cute little mug plastered all over itunes, I'm gonna say last Sept or Oct, and around the same time I started hearing all the "buzz" about Taylor Swift this, Taylor Swift that.... and I'm like who the hell is Taylor Swift?! Like what freakin' rocket ship did she get beamed down from where ALL OF A SUDDEN this person I've never heard of before is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread?! So I ignore all that cuz I'm not actually inclined to get any sampling of Taylor Swift, thank you very much...

So I'm in the car not two days ago, and the FM is going, and there's this song on the radio that is total excrement. I mean generic, bland pop, with a cutesy pop princess voice singing about Romeo and Juliet or some generic crap. Now, when I listen to FM I usually don't actually listen, it's just sorta there in the background... but this tune was so bad that my subconscious mind actually pointed out to my conscious mind how bad the song currently playing on the radio was. I couldn't believe my ears, how bad this song was. It sounded like somebody took a generic 3-chord pop tune with cliche lyrics and cliche "hook" (as it were), sucked all the musicianship out of it, watered that down into a runny swill of generic musical "ideas", then tried to turn what was left into a country crossover, but without any actual country "twang", if you know what I mean. If bleached white bread had a musical equivalent, this song would be it. And like bleached white bread, to your point, it's not like it's bad , per se... like putting a fresh dog turd in a hot dog bun would be bad... but with bleached white bread there's just nothing there, right? What does air taste like? At least chicken tastes like chicken...

So I tune into SNL tonight (a rerun), and Taylor Swift comes on, and there's the freakin' song!!! Ahh... it all makes sense to me now. Daddy probably knows somebody. Or maybe Daddy is somebody.

That about sums it up, yeah..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    jinga8
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 03:38:44 (permalink)
    Well, I didn't even recognize the name...but I looked her up. I saw a show (Crossroads, where two artists perform together and praise each other on couches) where this chica and Def Leppard hung out/performed. It was quite cool that she even knew who they were. But yeah, her songs were lame, even sung by Joe Elliot...but she did a decent job of singing on the DL tracks, I thought...
    Marah
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 975
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 04:17:14 (permalink)
    I don't really understand what the issue is. What makes Taylor Swift worth kvetching about? That she's 'manufactured'? That she's too young? Too pretty? That her voice wasn't gimmicked up to distract from how she's not a "great" singer like, oh, who... Celine? That it's not hard rock, or sappy schmaltz, enough? That it's too pro? Not pro enough? That she's apparently having some success it what is called the music industry?

I think there's something actually kind of charming about the non-trumped-up "weakness" of Taylor Swift's live singing voice. She's not pretending to be something she's not. (At the end of the first set on SNL, she seemed kind of shocked to have actually pulled it off. Seemed real. Smelled like another 50 thousand units.)

"Romeo and Juliet" -- is that the song's actual title, or is it named after the hook, "Baby Just Say Yes"? -- is the kind of song, or record, really, that people who hate it on the spot are supposed to hate on the spot and have always hated on the spot. That's part of its job. It's a high concept composition that never takes its eye off of its own conceit. As a songwriter, that's exactly what I try to do most of the time. They're SAF the songs I develop first.

People said the same thing 20 plus years ago when the Bangles and the Divine Miss Lauper and others whose names aren't recalled today had hits with the exact same kind of material. There's a reason those songs are hits.

If Tom Petty or John Couger or dare I even say The Boss, or Prince in his paisley period, had written, recorded, and had a hit with basically the same record, it would be considered a poppy slice of archetypal romanticism, rather than slightly better than dog turd on a bun.

If it was Sir Paulie, some would easily convince themselves it was a charming piece of whimsy reminiscent of Oh Bla Di Oh Bla Da, or an outtake from Ram. How wrong would they be?

If I'd written it, I probably wouldn't be on this forum wasting my time writing about it and your time reading it and would instead be demoing follow-ups and rendering stems to bring to a Pro Tools studio for completion and mixing, since I would no longer have to do all this junk myself.

Baby, just say yes.

Different thread, same subject, same drivel.
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1627047&mpage=2&key=#1629625

post edited by Marah - 2009/03/01 05:30:16
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 04:52:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah

I don't really understand what the issue is. What makes Taylor Swift worth kvetching about? That she's 'manufactured'? That she's too young? Too pretty? That her voice wasn't gimmicked up to distract from how she's not a "great" singer like, oh, who... Celine? That it's not hard rock, or sappy schmaltz, enough? That it's too pro? Not pro enough? That she's apparently having some success it what is called the music industry?

Well...extreme jealously of course, what else?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 06:21:35 (permalink)
    since I would no longer have to do all this junk myself

I guess there's no point in asking you in on engineering some of my tunes for me then.......ah well back to the bleeding manual...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 08:23:11 (permalink)
    If Tom Petty or John Couger or dare I even say The Boss, or Prince in his paisley period, had written, recorded, and had a hit with basically the same record, it would be considered a poppy slice of archetypal romanticism, rather than slightly better than dog turd on a bun.

of everything you said, i agree with this statement the most. (i also like the "hated on the spot" part, but you should be careful - they might banish you to the products forums )

if a less-than average musician (and let's distinguish that from performing artist) puts out tripe, then it gets called tripe, or worse than tripe. if a well-respected musician puts out tripe, then people fall all over themselves attempting to legitimize it with artsy words. personally, i guess i don't really have band loyalty. maybe, like collective soul, they have a good/weak album rotation, or they burned out early (coldplay) or they've reached their peak and now need to enjoy the royalties rather than "reinventing" themselves (chris cornell, i'm looking at you).

doesn't mean i don't respect them as artists (ok, except for coldplay) but call a spade a spade.

- jack the ex-cynic
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 08:44:39 (permalink)
    What's up with dissing Taylor Swift... she's a hard working person who has made a road for herself... it's just a business... she's actually in it.

She sold more albums than anyone else last year... so that's why she's on NATIONAL TELEVISION... she is the business right now... and it seems to me she deserves the pay off and recognition for all her hard work.

best regards,
    mike

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 09:39:49 (permalink)
    Let's see, she's cute, writes clever songs about teenage girl angst, but doesn't sing very well; two out of three ain't bad, I suppose.

Say, anyone catch the duet between Taylor and Miley Cyrus? In comparison, Taylor sound absolutely fantastic.
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 11:12:31 (permalink)
    I knew I was missing something about the Taylor Swift effect. If she has clever lyrics, I wouldn't notice. Lyrics are the last thing I notice about a song; I usually look for the performer to have a unique, compelling voice and long, curly blonde hair before I'll pay any attention to lyrics.
    robby
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 11:36:40 (permalink)

Different thread, same subject, same drivel.
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1627047&mpage=2&key=#1629625

Yeah, free speach is over rated. People should all march in lock step.

==================

Marah
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 14:14:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

I usually look for the performer to have a unique, compelling voice and long, curly blonde hair before I'll pay any attention to lyrics.

The piper's calling you to join him.

(Does anybody remember laughter?)
    keith
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 14:20:20 (permalink)

Well, you can all call it jealousy, or retionalize it with "that's the way the music biz works", etc. But I, for one, choose to reject it.

And yes, when somebody like Sting comes out with an album of warmed over, half-assed "standards", I reject that too. It's crap. Nobody wants to hear Sting strain to sing Really Old Songs(tm) in a style that he is so obviously not suited to sing (except for maybe "Moon Over Bourbon Street", which was a good tune in its own right on a great album) just because a bunch of middle-aged Sting fans will buy it anyway.

Since when is it ok that the entirety of popular music be turned into elevator music? I say that sucks. Others may feel that's just the way it is, but I still think it sucks. Esp. when you know that there are compelling musicians/songwriters/singers out there with compelling songs, voices, musical ability, whatever, who will never be on SNL, and will never have there faces plastered all over itunes. You know, kinda how Sting used to write/play/sing compelling songs once upon a time.

Swift's record label is "Big Machine Records, LLC" according to itunes. Does anybody but me find that ironic? Big Machine Records. I can imagine there's actually a Big Machine somewhere in the basement of some building where you put in cliche lyrics, 3 major chords, and a minor chord (with an optional 7th), and out pops row after row of homogenized country/hip-hop/pop crossover wafers. Maybe one conveyor goes to the Disney bin for further processing, another conveyor goes to the "for immediate release" bin, not sure.

I don't have anything against her being successful. I say: good for her and her success. But to the record executives peddling their innoffensive, regurgitated product I say: please release me from this dentists chair! Or at least drill a hole straight into my cerebral cortex and give me something to really scream about...
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 14:22:48 (permalink)

I usually look for the performer to have a unique, compelling voice and long, curly blonde hair before I'll pay any attention to lyrics.

welcome. i see you're new here...

- jack the ex-cynic
    ricstudioc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 15:06:00 (permalink)

Touche - and somehow vaguely disturbing....

And just my 2 cents - I'll listen to most anything that comes my way, but what I spend my money on is a whole different matter. Glad she's being "successful", cuz she ain't seeing a dime of my money.....

Ric
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 15:11:06 (permalink)
    So how many of you all actually watched SNL?

I didn't.

jacktheexcynic
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 15:13:03 (permalink)
    i didn't.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 15:23:12 (permalink)
    I did. I try not to miss SNL these days, because it's been pretty funny lately. The Taylor Swift episode had an appearance by Penelope, which is must-see for me. (Kristin Wiig is insane and/or brilliant.) Plus, I'm taking a shine to a couple of those new girls.
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 15:47:18 (permalink)
    I did...I saw the original broadcast.

Found her performance very underwhelming. (So did my 11 year old daughter)

Of course I remember when SNL used to break acts, not just give a forum for all the number 1's to sell more merchandise. (ie) Costello doing Radio, Radio, Riki Lee Jones, Devo, etc.

SNL used to have a pair, now they just book number 1's. So my beef is not with Taylor Swift per se, but SNL's wimpy choices of acts. (Fleet Foxes was good, as was TV on the Radio so it is not all bad....just mostly bad...Jonas Brothers, Ashley Simpson, Kanye West, T-Pain...etc.)

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    keith
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 16:02:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: auto_da_fe
    SNL used to have a pair, now they just book number 1's. So my beef is not with Taylor Swift per se, but SNL's wimpy choices of acts. (Fleet Foxes was good, as was TV on the Radio so it is not all bad....just mostly bad...Jonas Brothers, Ashley Simpson, Kanye West, T-Pain...etc.)

I kinda agree with this. Once in a while they'll do something a little different... I thought the Arcade Fire performance a couple of years ago was a little adventurous... or something like Gnarls Barkley is not your average musical guest..
    Marah
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 16:21:15 (permalink)

I did. I try not to miss SNL these days, because it's been pretty funny lately. The Taylor Swift episode had an appearance by Penelope, which is must-see for me. (Kristin Wiig is insane and/or brilliant.) Plus, I'm taking a shine to a couple of those new girls.

Same here. What planet does Kristen Wiig come from? The new girls are filling some awesomely big shoes. But so far so good. The opening riff on Rachel Maddow was s scream!

I thought TV on the Radio were fascinating a couple of weeks ago.
    keith
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 16:24:29 (permalink)

Same here. What planet does Kristen Wiig come from?

She had a bit part as a TV exec in "Knocked Up"... hilarious. Almost worth the $3.00 rental for her two minutes in the movie...
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Taylor Swift, SNL 2009/03/01 17:06:50 (permalink)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1