ARX-01 vs TD-20

Author
xpesrx
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
2009/03/01 21:49:17 (permalink)

ARX-01 vs TD-20

Does the ARX-01 expansion card for the V-Studio 700 have the same sounds and capabilities as the Roland TD-20?
How do they compare?

I ask because of this statement:
"The ARX-01 Drum module, for example, is like cramming an entire TD-20 drum brain into your Fantom-G keyboard!"

The question.. is it really?.. as in, I can not buy the TD-20 brain because I have the ARX-01?
post edited by xpesrx - 2009/03/02 12:28:46

----------------------------------
www.ChantelarStudios.com
www.ReformationProductions.com

2 Replies Related Threads

Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: ARX-01 vs TD-20 2009/03/02 20:24:55 (permalink)
    As a TD-20 owner (with TDW20 expansion board) I will have to admit I was kind of jealous to see how powerful the ARX-01 was. Keeping in mind they're both designed for different types of performance here are my thoughts:

Disclaimer: This is simply my opinion not a factual statement

• The ARX-01 sounds are very comparable to those in the TD-20 if not better in some aspects.
    • The editing capabilities are just as powerful, you can customize shell depth, head material and mic position. The TDW20 added some more mic position options to the TD-20 which I have not fully explored yet though.
    • Graphically the ARX-01 is waaay more pleasing on the eyes and I found it easier to use - the bright meters are nice eye candy too
    • As a performance device I would still prefer the TD-20 as it has loads of triggering options to make it feel more like a real kit.

For me bottom line is whether it's the performance aspect or sound quality + editing aspect you would prefer. If you're a drummer I think playing on the mesh heads with all the triggering options you get will feel more natural and result in a more expressive performance. One example - I think its pretty cool you can set a threshold on the tom triggers and if you're beating the snare or kick hard enough you get some tom tone in there - like my ole' buster kit in my mom's garage.

If you're not a drummer - then the ARX-01 may suit you better but you might find you're drawing in a lot of CC data to get the expressive results you might want (arguably this is true to any drum synth though).

What I haven't done yet:

• is play the ARX-01 with my TD-20's MIDI Out so I don't know how it handles HH Pedal and other CC info.
    • explore the routing options in the ARX-01. On the TD-20 you have 8 analog outs you can record into your host, I don't know how many are possible on the ARX-01 (I'm assuming it's just a stereo pair as that's how many you get with the Fantom VS)

Hope that was somewhat helpful - if I get a chance to spend more time with the ARX-01 I'll share more.

Willy Jones 
    Cakewalk
    xpesrx
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: ARX-01 vs TD-20 2009/03/02 21:20:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Willy. I have a mesh head, Pintech kit that I plan on using for studio performance only... midi triggering through some ol' Alesis units.

I want to use the ARX-01 to make the drum sounds I want (through the sculpting)... but I have always liked the sounds in the TD-20 and I have to say, the fact that you can individual pan and effects settings on the individual drum voices in the TD-20 makes it a big plus... but I think you can do that in the ARX-01 also...

But it sounds like from what you say here that they aren't identical (which I assumed could have been possible)

Do share when you dive into it more.... if you play around with the ARX-01 through the TD-20, that info will help me decide a lot.

Thanks

----------------------------------
    www.ChantelarStudios.com
    www.ReformationProductions.com

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1