need help with Fireface800 install

Author
gotcake?
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
2009/03/04 00:50:57 (permalink)

need help with Fireface800 install

I installed the fireface 800 to my computer and it plays back but it is very very loud and i have all the volume knobs turned to zero. i used to use a fireproject studio and that one had a playback knob which you could turn down if you needed.. does this unit not have a playback volumen controll? i read the manual and i did not find what i needed, or i didnt understand the terminologies. if i missed any information needed to help me with this let me know....without making me seem like a loser who did nto read the manual..

Sonica Elite quade core, FireFace800, Sonar 7producer, oxygen61, rokit5 monitors.

24 Replies Related Threads

charlieme12
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 01:13:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gotcake?

I installed the fireface 800 to my computer and it plays back but it is very very loud and i have all the volume knobs turned to zero. does this unit not have a playback volumen controll?

No volume knob for the mains Cake. Just for the headphones. You control the main volume via the ff software mixer. I personally like having a real volume knob, which is one of the reasons I use a Central Station with my setup. Certainly not the only reason, as that would be a very expensive volume knob!

Sonar 8.5 , ADK i7. 6Gigs DDR3. 3 sata HD's. Fireface 800. UAD-2 duo flexi. Mackie Control and Ext. Dynaudio monitors. Lots of other stuff too.

b3gsus@msn.com
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1293
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 06:15:15 (permalink)
    read the manual and i did not find what i needed, or i didnt understand the terminologies. if i missed any information needed to help me with this let me know....without making me seem like a loser who did nto read the manual..

You should have a Fireface Mixer Icon (little green mixer) at the bottom right of your screen as well as a Fireface Settings Icon (RME in Flames). The top row is your hardware/midi inputs. If you left click under where it says, 'In 1" it shows you all of the bottom (outputs). When you click on the 1st one the Fader(s if linked for stereo) will drop to Zero. You raise those Faders to send that input to your Monitors or wherever you send the Outputs or hold Control & Click on the Faders for Unity Gain= 0db.... You have to go through the 14 sends to adjust your Output Levels... The more you work with the Mixer, the more you'll come to understand it's functionallity... Wildman

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
    Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    tellboy
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 09:22:04 (permalink)
    I would advise against adjusting your final output level in your audio interface's mixer. All you are effectively doing as far as I know is reducing the bit resolution of the signal that way! Far better in my opinion to leave your software mixer output controls at maximum levels and adjust audio volume via your analogue equipment. i.e. the volume control on your monitor speakers or headphones. If your speakers do not have a volume control then use an external passive volume control such as that provided by the SM M-patch2!
    gotcake?
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 10:16:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys. i do not have volume controlls on the audio monitors, and after purchasing this interface i really dont have any money left to purchase any other equipment. and now i have come up with otehr problems that i hope you guys may know about. ever since i installed this thing it has been messing with my WMP and my internet viewing and listening. is there something i missed in teh install that is making my computer go wonkers?

Sonica Elite quade core, FireFace800, Sonar 7producer, oxygen61, rokit5 monitors.
    indravayu
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 10:43:20 (permalink)
    Pick up an SM Pro Audio "Nano Patch" - it costs $60 and gives you a nice big volume knob. I run my FF800 through one and it works fine for my purposes.
    - Chris
    Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 10:43:57 (permalink)
    I don't know if it's like the fireface 400 but in mine you just push the button, selected the outputs, inputs...you wann control push back and done !!

If it's not the case , no fast food for one week and go take some like that (if you have one set of monitors) :

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LevelPilot/

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

indravayu
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 10:45:04 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys. i do not have volume controlls on the audio monitors, and after purchasing this interface i really dont have any money left to purchase any other equipment. and now i have come up with otehr problems that i hope you guys may know about. ever since i installed this thing it has been messing with my WMP and my internet viewing and listening. is there something i missed in teh install that is making my computer go wonkers?

Check your Sounds and Audio Devices settings in the Windows Control Panel and make sure that the FF has been set up as your default audio device.

- Chris
    b3gsus@msn.com
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 11:10:00 (permalink)
    I would advise against adjusting your final output level in your audio interface's mixer. All you are effectively doing as far as I know is reducing the bit resolution of the signal that way!

???????????

Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 11:17:29 (permalink)
    This works good for me since I have no reason to use the RME for general computer sounds...

Configure Windows to use the on board sound card. Configure Sonar to use ASIO drivers with the RME. I have no problems running Sonar at the same time as other programs. If you want both the on board sound card and the RME going to the same set of speakers then pick up a cheap mixer like the Tapco Mix 50 or something. That will give you a master volume control for your speakers.

If you don't want to buy a mixer, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't just pull down the output volume for the output connected to your speakers using the Fireface Mixer.
    post edited by WDI - 2009/03/04 11:24:33

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    tellboy
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 13:04:42 (permalink)
    As software mixers work in the digital domain, there is no other way to represent a volume change than with a bit reduction at the most significant bit end of the 24/16 bit word as far as I understand. Each bit in the digital domain represents a 6db level change. So although you went to all that trouble to use a hi-resolution sound card and 64 bit precision in SONAR, if you turn down your gain by say 18db then instead of using 24/16 or the available bits you will be using 21/13 bits! I suppose it could be argued that the detail of a signal is at the least significant bit end of the word, but you are still reducing bit resolution whatever! I look forward to someone (who knows about this sort of thing) correcting me if I am wrong. It’s the reason I use a hardware analogue volume control anyway!
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 13:17:00 (permalink)
    ever since i installed this thing it has been messing with my WMP and my internet viewing and listening. is there something i missed in teh install that is making my computer go wonkers?

First, what chipset is your Firewire controller?

Can you elaborate on "making my computer go wonkers?"
    It may be as simple as pilot error... or it could be an incompatible Firewire controller.
    We need more information to offer substantial help.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    gotcake?
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 13:31:19 (permalink)
    okay i reinstalled the drivers updates and FPU this morning. i had to run to work before i was able start teh computer again so i will see if all is well after i get home tonight. Thanks Indravayu for the heads up on the smpro nano patch.. so other than affecting the volume does it affect any of the tone? thanks again. i will keep posted if anything else is going wrong.

indravayu
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 15:34:51 (permalink)

okay i reinstalled the drivers updates and FPU this morning. i had to run to work before i was able start teh computer again so i will see if all is well after i get home tonight. Thanks Indravayu for the heads up on the smpro nano patch.. so other than affecting the volume does it affect any of the tone? thanks again. i will keep posted if anything else is going wrong.

There will always be people out there that will tell you stuff like this affects the tone - and maybe they are right, but it's not noticeable to my ears (I use Yorkville YSMi monitors, which are hardly audiophile grade, but still detailed enough that I would notice any drastic changes in tone; it's is, of course, important to hook it up with good quality cables).

- Chris
    b3gsus@msn.com
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 15:52:32 (permalink)
    As software mixers work in the digital domain, there is no other way to represent a volume change than with a bit reduction at the most significant bit end of the 24/16 bit word as far as I understand.

If by turning down the Monitor Volume in your software mixer is changing your resolution,,,, You are FUBAR

2-Mackie 24/8buss
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 20:26:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b3gsus@msn.com

As software mixers work in the digital domain, there is no other way to represent a volume change than with a bit reduction at the most significant bit end of the 24/16 bit word as far as I understand.

If by turning down the Monitor Volume in your software mixer is changing your resolution,,,, You are FUBAR

Clearly a case of decimation in the user domain.
    Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/04 21:31:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tellboy

As software mixers work in the digital domain, there is no other way to represent a volume change than with a bit reduction at the most significant bit end of the 24/16 bit word as far as I understand. Each bit in the digital domain represents a 6db level change. So although you went to all that trouble to use a hi-resolution sound card and 64 bit precision in SONAR, if you turn down your gain by say 18db then instead of using 24/16 or the available bits you will be using 21/13 bits! I suppose it could be argued that the detail of a signal is at the least significant bit end of the word, but you are still reducing bit resolution whatever! I look forward to someone (who knows about this sort of thing) correcting me if I am wrong. It’s the reason I use a hardware analogue volume control anyway!

this totally excat , that's why for example when you use a plugin in a track (ssl channel strip in my case ssl duende dsp based), i set my track volume to zero and then use the plugin gain adjust to lower the volume if needed....this for the mixing ...and of course for the monitoring go analog class A

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/05 14:01:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tellboy

Sounds like you are correct. I emailed RME to see what they had to say out of curiosity. Below is my question and response from RME...

Question: Do you lose audio resolution when using TotalMix to pull down the volume of the outputs on the Fireface 800?

Response: Yes - but considering the mixer's internal resolution is 42 bit and the output is 24 bit, the "loss" is insignificant in real life...

I have the Fireface connected to a 32 channel analogue mixing console so that is where I control the output levels. However, it is an interesting debate. I probably wouldn't worry too much about it with the 42 bit internal mixing engine of the Fireface. Sometimes it's best just to listen for yourself. I doubt you can hear any signal degradation when decreasing the output via TotalMix. However, if you are concerned about pulling down the volume of the outputs of the Fireface then connect the outputs of the Fireface to an analog mixer, or one of the knobs mentioned above. It is always convenient to have a mixing console. That way you can connect multiple outputs to your monitors. This way you could configure Windows to use the on board sound card and Sonar to use ASIO with the RME and have both outputs connected to your monitors through the mixing console. There's always many ways to do things. This works well for me. That being said, analogue consoles have their own set of problems which can introduce loss of audio quality also. Ears are the final judge.
    post edited by WDI - 2009/03/05 14:15:35

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    b3gsus@msn.com
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/05 14:30:58 (permalink)
    Sometimes it's best just to listen for yourself. I doubt you can hear any signal degradation when decreasing the output via TotalMix.

THANK YOU!!! I've been running these Fireface 800s since they came out & for the most part I set to Unity Gain but some signals come in way HOT compared to others & when I adjust the little I do on my Outputs & record to Disk, I would challenge almost anyone to pick out the loss of resolution for me.... Everything is relative to your Gain Staging from the Instruments up...

It's amazing the amount of technical knowledge being recited that doesn't always jive with "Real World Applications".

That may be in your situation but clearly you should hold your lack of respect for someone you know & deserves it...

2-Mackie 24/8buss
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/05 14:56:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b3gsus@msn.com

That may be in your situation but clearly you should hold your lack of respect for someone you know & deserves it...

Did you think that I was referring to you? I was agreeing with your "FUBAR" comment. Software mixers don't cause loss of resolution until the signal is either stored, transmitted, or rendered.

In this case, I think that both of us showed lack of respect. Sorry for my part in it.
    b3gsus@msn.com
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/05 15:57:51 (permalink)
    Sorry for my part in it.

Handshake.... I was Miss Steak King

2-Mackie 24/8buss
    gotcake?
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/06 16:14:09 (permalink)
    okay i got all the playback options to work but now i cannot get a signal from the mic on sonar. none of the meters on the ff mixer are moving when i speak in to the mic. also none of the meters on sonar move. i do get a the green signal light to light up above the volume knob. currently am using input 7 on the fireface 800. if you guys need more info let me know.

tellboy
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/06 17:25:21 (permalink)
    Make sure the fader for input 7 (top section of the FF mixer) is not at minimum level or muted! I can't remember if that stops you actually recording from that input, or just stops you hearing the input through the FF mixer for monitoring.
    post edited by tellboy - 2009/03/06 17:41:06
    tellboy
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/06 17:30:03 (permalink)
    and that you select the correct input on the track in SONAR! Remember you won't see the meter in SONAR move unless you arm the track for record (record meter) or enable input echo (playback meter).

A further point to check is that you have the correct input socket enabled in the FF settings panel. I think input 7 can be front, rear or both! If you only want the mic socket enabled (not the line in on tha back) set it to front.
    post edited by tellboy - 2009/03/06 17:54:26
    bbdude
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: need help with Fireface800 install 2009/03/10 00:18:17 (permalink)
    tellboy,
    I agree with your statement:
    if you turn down your gain by say 18db then instead of using 24/16 or the available bits you will be using 21/13 bits!

The real question is what is the peak level (in dBFS) that gets to your DAC, during playback. If you have a 24 bit DAC, if you use TotalMix to drop your peak level down to -48 dBFS, causing you to lose 8 bits of resolution, going from 24 bits down to 16 bits, you still maintain CD quality. If your monitors are still too loud with TotalMix turned down -48 dB, then turn down your monitors before you blow out your ears. So, my conclusion is digital volume control has sufficient fidelity with 24-bit audio interfaces and proper gain staging.

Bob the bbdude

RME FF-UFX , RME FF800
    DAW PC built by ADK , Core i7 3770 IVB
    Sonar X3e Producer, Win 7-Pro 64-bit
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1