Recording session!

Author
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
2009/03/04 14:15:02 (permalink)

Recording session!

Just wanted to share that I recently was involved in my first non-home-studio recording session with the church band I play in. We basically did a "live in the studio" recording of the band, with the singers to go back and do their tracks later. The band includes a drummer, bass (me), rhythm guitar, lead guitar, piano and violin. Anyway we cranked out 16 songs in 5 hours, doing 2-3 takes of each song. There were a few songs where I think we got a take where we all pretty much nailed it. There were others where the mixing guy is going to have to do a little "fix it in the mix" work.

But wow, what an adrenaline rush! Even more so than playing live for me. I've been recording myself for years, but not having the convenience to do as many takes as I needed, punch in and out, comp my tracks, etc. really added some pressure. I know the mixer will need to do this a little but still, but we were on a tight budget so for the most part it's going to be what we played is what we get.

The recording engineer went out of our mixing board into a hard disk recorder and was going then import the tracks into a DAW (not SONAR but he did have many good things to say about SONAR and said he had just finished helping set up a SONAR studio) for mixing.

Anyway, this was a first for me so just wanted to share... I'll post the songs when they're available, but I don't think the singers are doing their tracks until April so they have time to practice with the rough mix of our instrumental tracks so it will probably be sometime in May.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
post edited by dlogan - 2009/03/04 14:22:18

3 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Recording session! 2009/03/04 15:36:35 (permalink)
    Dave

Good to hear you ended up doing the session. It's much more fun just playing and letting someone else take care of the details ain't it?...

Well, until the times you don't see daylight for days on end and start to feel like you are in the Submarine service..., the only difference being is you are expected to make a noise rather than remain silent.

I look forward to hearing some of that when you post it.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/03/04 15:43:20

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Recording session! 2009/03/04 19:35:15 (permalink)
    Yeah Jonbouy at the same time it was a relief to just have to worry about playing bass, but also had to keep my control issues in check knowing someone else was mixing me!

Oh, and as a drummer you will probably appreciate the engineer had some awesome Neuman overhead mics on the drum kit that sounded sweet!!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Recording session! 2009/03/04 19:52:23 (permalink)
    What fun! Way to go!! :-)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1