So what "exactly" is Indie?

Author
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
2009/03/05 19:52:12 (permalink)

So what "exactly" is Indie?

Can someone help me understand this term/genere? I mean, I understand, Rock, Pop, country, jazz, blues, acoustic, classical, etc...

However, I do not understand the term "Indie". Could someone please educate me?

Thanks.

post edited by robby - 2009/03/05 20:01:40

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

8 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: So what "exactly" is Indie? 2009/03/05 19:56:17 (permalink)
    Indie = short for "Independent" as in Independent artist. It became a genre of its own based on independent recordings, but it's a very broad term because it can cover any type of sub-genre.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: So what "exactly" is Indie? 2009/03/05 20:00:57 (permalink)

Hi Robby

If I remember correctly, the term was first used over here as Punk morphed into New Wave music in the late seventies. The DIY attitude to making music extended to releasing stuff on your own label.

These small labels were referred to as 'Independent' in as much as they had no ties to major record labels or their subsiduaries.

Independent became 'Indie' and the moniker was attached to any music released by these small labels.

What it refers to now is probably a little more vague I suspect - much as modern R & B bears little resemblance to Rhythm & Blues.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: So what "exactly" is Indie? 2009/03/05 20:03:22 (permalink)
    Yer close there Beagle. Indie was a term that became popular in the 80's with new labels popping up mainly around Seattle and the punk and grunge scene. These labels signed alot of the early acts in those genres, and were not affiliated with the major labels of the time such as Capitol, Warner Bros, Columbia etc... Thus they were "independant" ie "indie". Back then, alot of the major AR reps had a running joke that was "indie means, not good enough for a major". ha ha ha. Then Nirvana came along, and no more ha ha ha.

Later, alot of the indie labels started getting bought up by the majors. But now, with the majors struggling with the new music model, the indies are back, and will probably be the future of popular music as we know it.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: So what "exactly" is Indie? 2009/03/05 20:06:18 (permalink)
    oh well, close counts, doesn't it???

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: So what "exactly" is Indie? 2009/03/05 20:06:29 (permalink)

- jack the ex-cynic
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: So what "exactly" is Indie? 2009/03/05 20:07:27 (permalink)
    it's funny you mention labels Steve... I mean I used to be involved with a certain label many moons ago.. dunno if you remember echo belly? anyways.. they were classed as an indie band I guess.. BUT the label was also.. except.. well it put out DnB , trance etc.. on various other labels and they all branched off one parent company (Kickin) ..

Most of the stuff that is now considered DnB, well the vast majority were independents.. but no one ever used that term for them.

did used to make me laugh , at one point everyone and his gran had a label (and in reality they put out 1 - 2 EP's as white labels)
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: So what "exactly" is Indie? 2009/03/05 21:02:19 (permalink)
    You guys are awesome! The reason I asked is my latest (on-going) I think may be Indie? It doesn't seem to fit in some of the other generes? I've been working on the vocals for 3 days, and there's another week to go "for the vocals!". It's a friggen monster :-) I am hopefull that it will be an Indie hit :-)

Indie? I got a bad feeling about this!

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: So what "exactly" is Indie? 2009/03/05 21:31:15 (permalink)
    Reminds me of the "what is alternative" question, 15+ years ago.
    "Alternative" was "alternative to the mainstream".

Like REM.

Until alternative music BECAME the mainstream.

When one of the first and (eventually biggest selling) alternative bands ever (REM) became mainstream, it became kind of hard to define them as "alternative" (to what?).

Alternative eventually became "a sound style" (not a classification), and I see (15 years later) the same sort of thing hapening with "indie".

'Indie' used to mean "independant" of a major label contract & backing (technically, still does), but when you hear people say "hey, this band sounds indie!", you know that it's meaning is being morphed in to a sound style (rather than a contractual position definition).

HTH,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1