Operation Pocket Money - a war story.

Author
CLEAN
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
2009/03/08 18:30:48 (permalink)

Operation Pocket Money - a war story.

I posted this in another thread - when I typed it - it affect me so dramatically I thought I would share it - a pretty unique time - unique experiences.

Operation Pocket Money

I was stationed on the USS Coral Sea the day this operation happened. I was a plane captain - worked on the flight deck - had my own plane and pilot that I was responsible for. I was in VA-22, an attack squadron flying A-7E Corsair's during that time. We spent nine months on the ship away from our home base of Lemoore, CA. We had twelve planes, 12 pilots - we lost six of our original pilots and planes during that Westpac cruise.

This operation effectively ended the Vietnam War.

THE PUGTONES
Mark

25 Replies Related Threads

CLEAN
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 18:32:03 (permalink)
    Wow, I just read that article just now - it affected me in a very unexpected and emotional way - what a day that was - I will never forget it - I was 18 at the time - wouldn't turn nineteen until June - man I thought I was a bad ass at the time - actually I was at the time. It was the experiences that day, and really the entire cruise that made me into the peaceful person I am today.

In the article it mentions Commander Len Giuliani - he was my commander.

A short story - a couple of months after this particular day - we were flying our last missions before going to Japan - then home - God, home sweet home. There were 8 squadrons in total that returned in "Victory V" formations that day - they flew over the ship - damn - we were so young, so proud.

VA-22 was the last squadron to return that day - you could see the "V" coming in from a couple of miles away - I was on the flight deck. The lead plane in the "V" was Giuliani - you could see his plane at least two miles away - it was completely engulfed in flames - the plane had been badly shot up.

I'll never forget that. A voice came on the intercom - that command was to clear the flight deck. - I climbed onto a catwalk - where I was eye level with the flight deck when I was standing. The firemen came in and laid down a couple of feet of this foam - I just stood there just watching the plane heading for the flight deck.

The plane crashed about twenty feet away from where I was standing. There was an arresting cable that had been drawn across the flight deck that caught Giulliani's plane when it hit the flight deck. When the plane crashed - tires and jet parts flew everywhere. Once it was stopped - the plane was quickly put out - you could see Giulliani desperately trying to undo his belts. He got them off and came popping out the top of the glass dome. He walked away from it.

He was a great man, I really respected and liked him.

What a day, what a day.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 19:53:50 (permalink)
    Wow, Clean, thanks for sharing this man... Don't really know what to say - its hard to understand what something like that would be like for those of us who have not served in the military, let alone in a war.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    CLEAN
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 20:09:50 (permalink)
    Today, it feels like I'm looking back at a movie I watched - or I'm remembering a story that happened to someone else - very surreal. It seemed totally normal at the time - this happened in May of 1972 - I graduated from High School June of 1971 - so I was young - looking back, also very immature. It is strange to look at this as a fairly major event.

I was discharged on February 11, 1973 after refusing to report for duty for a second cruise on the Coral Sea.

I hadn't thought about those days in years.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 20:14:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CLEAN
    I was discharged on February 11, 1973 after refusing to report for duty for a second cruise on the Coral Sea.

You know...I was going to thank you for your service to the country...until you posted this. Sorry...can't respect that at all.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    CLEAN
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 20:20:15 (permalink)
    We are a collection of our experiences.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    CLEAN
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 20:34:33 (permalink)
    And AndyW, let me clarify. There are two types of Conscientious Objector type of discharges - one based on moral and the other based religious convictions. I was given an honorable discharge as a Conscientious Objector based on my religious convictions. It is very difficult to get a CO status - but one of the main things a person has to have done to qualify for this kind of a status is to have experienced being in a war zone.

I said we are a collection of our experiences because this is where the cumulative experiences of my life led me. I'm proud of the time I spent in the military - I'm also proud of who I became and who I am today - I couldn't and can't change that.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Take care.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    AndyW
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 20:46:29 (permalink)

Fair enough...but we are also a collection of our choices. Not here to bash you for a 30 year old decision...just that I was kinda caught up in your moment and had a heart let-down as I was touched by your original post...then let-down by your "end of the story" statement. To me, quiting erased any good you may have done before. Sorry...that's just the way I see it. I have too much respect for the men and women in uniform like your Commander Giuliani and your other shipmates who did honor their committment. I do understand somewhat better now that you say you went through the official conscientious objector process. That is different that just quiting but I still have a hard time with the whole conscientious objector thing overall. No hard feelings to you however, and take care to you as well. Thank you for the time you did serve.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    CLEAN
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 20:56:15 (permalink)
    No Andy, I appreciate your thoughts - it was a very difficult time for me.

And, btw, the day I was court martialed - anyone in my squadron who wanted to address the military panel that day could. I had a tremendous amount of my fellow brothers in my squadron speak on my behalf that day - not one single negative comment.

And Guilliani showed up at the court martial - he spoke on my behalf also - it was his recommendation that day that got me released.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 21:21:07 (permalink)
    Godspeed Mark.
    I lost my dad in 1960, active duty, flying a WB50 out of Yokota, Japan. The Japanese civilians erected a monument to the crew.
    Lost my uncle in'68 flying B-52's in Cambodia.
    I watched the F-16's coming back to Buckley Field after Desert Storm. The last group flying a missing man. It kind of got to me.
    I cannot question your convictions, knowing what you have seen.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    AndyW
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 21:23:41 (permalink)

No Andy, I appreciate your thoughts - it was a very difficult time for me.

And, btw, the day I was court martialed - anyone in my squadron who wanted to address the military panel that day could. I had a tremendous amount of my fellow brothers in my squadron speak on my behalf that day - not one single negative comment.

And Guilliani showed up at the court martial - he spoke on my behalf also - it was his recommendation that day that got me released.

That says a lot. I can imagine it was very tough time for you. If the Navy said you deserved a CO discharge who am I to argue I suppose...at least you didn't just drive to Canada...

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    CLEAN
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 21:38:30 (permalink)
    RobertB, I can't imagine - not something you ever truly get over.

I lost so many friends in the Vietnam War. Like I said earlier, we lost 6 of our original 12 pilots during the 9 months I was on that Westpac cruise. I had a cousin who was one of the original 12 - Lt. Commander Gary Freerer - he survived. My pilot - Lt. Commander Wagoner survived - but I knew the other six - it's very difficult to lose people in this manner. Very difficult.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 22:06:49 (permalink)
    Mark, thank you sir. Very much.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    CLEAN
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 22:13:10 (permalink)
    robby, you're one cool guy - and a hell of a musician.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 22:44:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AndyW

Fair enough...but we are also a collection of our choices. Not here to bash you for a 30 year old decision...just that I was kinda caught up in your moment and had a heart let-down as I was touched by your original post...then let-down by your "end of the story" statement. To me, quiting erased any good you may have done before. Sorry...that's just the way I see it. I have too much respect for the men and women in uniform like your Commander Giuliani and your other shipmates who did honor their committment. I do understand somewhat better now that you say you went through the official conscientious objector process. That is different that just quiting but I still have a hard time with the whole conscientious objector thing overall. No hard feelings to you however, and take care to you as well. Thank you for the time you did serve.

With all due respect AndyW, I'm calling the horse **** flag on this one.

AndyW I enjoy your company here at the forums and you've taught me lots about the digital part of audio... so I hope we'll get pass this disagreement, but I'm from a long line of actual real life combat vets, (I've never had the honor to serve myself) and my family proudly taught me to have a conscience and to do what's right... and that includes objecting... so I can't help but share a counter opinion.

I grew up with a Dad that had nightmares every night... if you listened carefully you could learn that he was dreaming of people he had killed in close combat... he was 17... it was 1944 and he was proud to do what had to be done... but he came home a lot less proud... my dad more than most people understood what war really was. He ended up in Bastonge for Christmas '45 and eventually freed the few survivors to be found at Auschwitz. I think having to operate a bulldozer and help bury the abandoned dead in mass graves really effected my dad... he learned how inhuman humans can be and he never forgot that.

That was a war a guy could feel good about!

That same guy told me we were going to Canada if my number came up to go to Nam... I was a kid but he understood what was up with that conflict.

Let's not even get started about opinions about Vietnam... I'm more freaked out in general that you would stand in judgment of an individual for making personal decisions about something that is so close to defining what it means to be human... the act of choosing to make or not make war.

I have to admit some of your statements make me wonder... are you unfamiliar with war or are you a warrior that is sincerely gung ho?

Just as a coincidence I was working on Fort Rucker today with the rotary wing pilots... it seems like everyone there is thinking about making a living and keeping their colleagues safe... no service personnel with real life combat experience that I encounter seems to actually want to make war... they just want to be able to end it.

Clean, thanks for your service... but thank you even more for rising to the occasion and growing as a human being and making ethical decisions for yourself.

Obviously I take this stuff personally... that's because I know that it always comes down to someone asking someone like my dad (and a dozen other guys I personally know that were/are just like him) to pay the price he paid so that they can hang at home and craft dialogs about the glories of commitment and honor.

best regards,
    mike

PS John Macnamara's Fog of War is a concise video recap of Vietnam should you anyone want a refresher on what was going on in that era.

CLEAN
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 23:09:13 (permalink)
    Mike, wow. I thank you for your statement.

My father fought in WWII - he ended up in Japan. After they dropped the big bom, he was sent in to go house to house to find and eliminate Japanese officers - I was told about this by my Uncle Joe - my father's older brother.

Until my fathers passing two years ago - he couldn't speak about his experiences - never, not once.

And, he supported me when I went in - he supported me as I was getting out.

Thanks for the thoughts.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 23:18:07 (permalink)
    You're welcome...

It effects me deeply to think of the generations of people all across the globe who have sacrificed to let their children grow and learn... and how as a global society we have moved along so slowly.

Thanks for sharing your story.

best regards,
    mike

AndyW
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/08 23:31:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

With all due respect AndyW, I'm calling the horse **** flag on this one.

I've never had the honor to serve myself

I have, but not in a combat zone. I still believe that war is hell( as your father knew) and not something to be desired...but if you sign up...you serve.

I'm more freaked out in general that you would stand in judgment of an individual for making personal decisions about something that is so close to defining what it means to be human... the act of choosing to make or not make war.

You obey the law and you do your duty. Mark and I made our peace about it...no need for you to stir the pot.

I have to admit some of your statements make me wonder... are you unfamiliar with war or are you a warrior that is sincerely gung ho?

Let's just say I have served and I'm definitely not "gung ho".

no service personnel with real life combat experience that I encounter seems to actually want to make war... they just want to be able to end it.

True...but sometimes the big stick must be used. Hard fact of life on small and large scales.

Obviously I take this stuff personally... that's because I know that it always comes down to someone asking someone like my dad (and a dozen other guys I personally know that were/are just like him) to pay the price he paid so that they can hang at home and craft dialogs about the glories of commitment and honor.

And draft dodgers and those whole disobey orders are exactly those people in my book. Mark took an available legal avenue that, from what he said, was properly vetted...I can respect that without agreeing with him.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Cheeto
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/09 06:51:34 (permalink)
    CLEAN, mike mccue,

I can really appreciate what you guys have said in this thread. I admire those individuals who are willing to take a stand despite the negative consequences. If I saw you guys in a pub, you be the ones I buy a round of drinks for. Even if there was a chance I may be thought of as "That guy is a flake, I hope he doesn't try to come over here" -I'd just leave you be and still buy a round for the both of you anyways.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/09 07:05:20 (permalink)

This in no way devalues your sacrifice on your first cruise, in fact it indicates a great deal of humanity gained there.

Let no other human being judge your decisions in the light of your own and deeply personal experience, I have nothing but respect for those that have served and put themselves in harms way especially in the light of some seemingly mad political decisions.

The day we abandon those called to serve because we don't agree with the seeming lunacy that often accompanys a wartime situation is the day we shoot our brothers plum square in the back.

I have a relative that served with distinction in the front line during the invasion of Iraq and was stationed there for some time afterward he too refused a second term in the light of his experience. We all owe those like him and yourself a huge debt, he traded much of his innocence and naivety for the cause of a free and safe western world he cannot come back from the places he's been and he cannot relate the experience accurately to anyone other than those that were there. To say good men like him and yourself have not given freely of themselves in order that we enjoy our relative safety is completely reprehensible.

It would be interesting to see if anyone that cited that he perhaps was lacking in moral fibre had the moral fibre to stand in front of him and tell him so.

You've done more than enough my friend, you were there when called upon, and I for one am extremely grateful.

Peace, and thanks for sharing.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/03/09 07:16:01

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/09 07:10:11 (permalink)
    Mark,
    Kudos to you, man!

String Jammer
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/09 08:03:50 (permalink)
    AndyW,

I wasn't trying to stir a pot. I just came home from a day working with Blackhawk pilots at Fort Rucker. I read your statement, and it got me incredibly emotional... mostly a feeling of despair that you feel you get to judge... because that indicates to me that other people feel this way as well... this is not so much personal as indicative of what I feel is problematic with our great society... and reading your statements left me overwhelmed with a deep feeling of despair.

What you read is the second draft of my message... the first one was unfocused and I deleted it... but still felt so compelled to respond that I started over.

FWIW the lessons my family taught me also comes from Grandpa who served active Duty on the Atlantic in WWI as well as in WWII where he served in Key West in support at the Naval Station.

3 great grandfathers fought in the war to free the slaves... the Irish got used heavily in that war.

My Scottish ancestors fought in the American Revolution so we can all pursue our happiness and freedoms and maintain a right to keep and bear arms.

Evidently they wanted me to be a peace monger because that is how I was raised to think... although I'm fully trained and capable of joining a squad and being fully functional.

We're big stick people for sure... but we've learned to be aware of and prefer alternatives.

Mainly out of selfishness... having blood on your hands is just too high a price to pay... save that for when it's necessary.

Additionally, although I have not officially served I have been shot at and dodged random bullets on several occasions... my attitude about the issue of making war is not based on fear or inability to imagine how exhilarating a good gunfight is.

My attitude is based on a general repulsion with regards to the observation that war making has no winners... the survivors are victimized as well.

I can tell you this, the thing my Dad most despised about the system was that it's built upon people insisting that "You obey the law and you do your duty."

Dad was the most patriotic flag waving American you could imagine but he absolutely despised that philosophy you are quoting... that's straight out of the play book... and that's why the military depends on harvesting young people who have not fully formed their ability to understand the consequences of man made commitments.

very best regards,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/03/09 08:06:40

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/09 08:53:02 (permalink)
    Hey Clean not to hijack your thread but to add a musical twist to it, Queensryche's new album coming out later this month - American Soldier - is a basically a concept album inspired by veteran's stories from past and current wars. Should be pretty interesting.

http://www.queensryche.com/2009/03/08/queensryche-salutes-troops-w-american-soldier/

A lot of people who have experienced war don't like to talk about it, but for those like yourself who are willing to share your stories, I think it's important for the rest of us to listen. It's easy to sanitize war when you're watching it from your livingroom TV.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    AndyW
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/09 13:05:08 (permalink)
    Mike,

having blood on your hands is just too high a price to pay... save that for when it's necessary.

I agree with this.

My attitude is based on a general repulsion with regards to the observation that war making has no winners... the survivors are victimized as well.

I disagree...and agree. War definitely has winners and fighting a just war is overall the correct and moral thing to do...but it does have casualties on both sides as you state.

I can tell you this, the thing my Dad most despised about the system was that it's built upon people insisting that "You obey the law and you do your duty."

Dad was the most patriotic flag waving American you could imagine but he absolutely despised that philosophy you are quoting... that's straight out of the play book... and that's why the military depends on harvesting young people who have not fully formed their ability to understand the consequences of man made commitments.

To me it isn't about a "playbook"...it's about integrity. You do what you took an oath to do. If you can't take the oath then don't and deal with the consequences before the nation and your fellow sailors/soldiers are counting on you. I do admit that I view volunteers more harshly than those drafted, but in either case, if you want to object, you do it the right way at the right time and you deal with the consequences. This is why I changed my mind on Mark...he clarified that he didn't just quit...he went to court-martial and evidently won his case. His command supported his decision. I respect the rule of law. In my time in the service I have seen people who just went UA/AWOL because they felt like it. Someone else had to pick up their slack. In a time of war, someone potentially dies in their place. That is simply unacceptable and dishonorable to me.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    AndyW
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/09 13:11:27 (permalink)
    BTW, Mike...I'm not here to "fight" with you about this. But it is a worthwhile discussion. I understand your perspective...I just disagree with it. Mark's posts and yours have definitely been good for me to reflect on why I feel the way I do about certain things and to be more thoughtful about this topic in the future.
    post edited by AndyW - 2009/03/09 13:17:33

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Operation Pocket Money - a war story. 2009/03/09 13:13:41 (permalink)
    I never served, but my old man lied about his age and went in to the Army when he was 16 to fight in WWII. He fought under Patton in North Africa (tanks) he was on the beach at Anzio, 2 purple hearts... He's gone now, but when he was hear, he would never talk about it. I often asked him about it, but he never would discuss it. And he had the nightmares about it as well. We can never be thankful "enough" to those who've worn the uniform, and to those who have gone through the gates of hell on our behalf. "never".

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1