Vonn wins downhill AND THE SUPER-G, claims overall title

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2009/03/11 11:29:39 (permalink)

Vonn wins downhill AND THE SUPER-G, claims overall title

ARE, Sweden -- Lindsey Vonn became the first American woman to win two World Cup overall titles after her victory Wednesday in the last downhill of the season.

The American completed the 1.6-mile Olympia course at the World Cup finals in 1 minute, 42.49 seconds after posting the fastest splits all the way down.

"Winning the overall a second time it's huge," Vonn said. "No American female has ever done that so it means a lot."

With three races left at the finals, Vonn has an insurmountable lead in the overall standings with 1,688 points. Riesch is second with 1,299 and Anja Paerson of Sweden third with 990.

A double gold medalist at last month's world championships, Vonn also has a chance to win the super-G title. She trails Fabienne Suter of Switzerland by only 15 points; the last super-G is Thursday.

Vonn had already clinched the downhill title for the second straight year, matching hero and friend Picabo Street's consecutive titles in 1995 and '96.

post edited by batsbrew - 2009/03/12 10:51:23

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

10 Replies Related Threads

godino
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Vonn wins downhill, claims overall title 2009/03/11 13:21:12 (permalink)
    but does she have the style of Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards
    post edited by godino - 2009/03/11 13:28:45

gordo

Sonar Platinum - intel I7 7700K - Windows 10 home 64 bit - focusrite 214i -  Roland Guitar Synth GR55 - Maschine Mk3 - Oxygen8 keyboard - Guitars basses etc
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Vonn wins downhill, claims overall title 2009/03/11 13:31:29 (permalink)
    Eddie the Eagle - A true British Winter Olympics legend - will never be bettered

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Vonn wins downhill, claims overall title 2009/03/11 13:48:33 (permalink)
    remember guys... the very unofficial UK bob-sleigh / winter Olympics team need you
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Vonn wins downhill, claims overall title 2009/03/11 15:36:32 (permalink)
    Yeah we can wave to Lindsey as we pass her on the way down...........

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    batsbrew
    RE: Vonn wins downhill, claims overall title 2009/03/11 15:48:02 (permalink)
    mr. magoo.

LOL

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Vonn wins downhill, claims overall title 2009/03/11 16:37:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: batsbrew

ARE, Sweden -- Lindsey Vonn became the first American woman to win two World Cup overall titles after her victory Wednesday in the last downhill of the season.

Yeah, this is huge! I'm so happy for her and it couldn't have happened to a better person. I raced competitively in my much younger days (have two destroyed knees to show for it) and GS was my specialty. If you've spent any time on the course, you really gain an appreciation for how unbelievable the times are that the pros are achieving and how difficult it must be to win one, let alone two, World Cup titles. It hardly seems real. Go Lindsey - win that Super-G!!!
    post edited by cryophonik - 2009/03/11 16:44:38

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

batsbrew
    RE: Vonn wins downhill, claims overall title 2009/03/12 10:52:19 (permalink)
    Overall champ Vonn wins super-G, too

ARE, Sweden -- Lindsey Vonn won the super-G season finale at the World Cup finals Thursday, becoming the first American woman to win the championship title in the discipline.

Vonn finished the Olympia course in 1 minute, 20.63 seconds. Her win came one day after she clinched the World Cup overall title for the second straight year.

Vonn, who won the downhill title on the same hill Wednesday, posted the fastest split times all the way down. It was her 22nd World Cup victory, a record for U.S. women, and fourth straight win in the super-G.

She also won the event at the world championships last month at Val d'Isere, France.

"To have five back-to-back in the super-G is more than I ever thought was possible," Vonn said. "It's incredible. Going into the season I did not start off so strong in super-G, but later in the season I finally picked up a rhythm and I stuck with it. It's been a crazy season for me. I'm really happy."

Vonn topped the final super-G standings with 461 points. Fanchini had 416.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Vonn wins downhill, claims overall title 2009/03/12 11:05:54 (permalink)
    Awesome!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

batsbrew
    RE: Vonn wins downhill, claims overall title 2009/03/13 16:23:44 (permalink)
    and now she's going after the fastest guitarist in the world award...

LOL

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    RE: Vonn wins downhill, claims overall title 2009/03/16 12:07:48 (permalink)

USST (US ski team): Are you skiing on men's skis?

LV: In slalom and GS I'm skiing on men's skis, it's not a softer version it's exactly what the men are skiing on. In slalom it's 10 cm longer than what the women are skiing on. In GS it's 3 cm longer. It's been tough to adjust to the injection they've been doing on courses the last few years. On these courses the skis give me the support I need and the turning. That's the experience I gained from training with the men's team this summer and that's been a big part of my success this year.

USST: Looking ahead to the Olympics where American fans will pay attention, have you thought about how important the Olympics are to you and are you prepared for that pressure?

LV: I've been thinking a lot about the Olympics. I feel like I am a lot more prepared than in the past. It's been a challenge, at times, to be able to manage all the press and media over the last two years especially after winning the overall. That's made me better able to handle those situations. So I definitely know there will be a lot of pressure in these next Olympics but I feel I'm ready to handle it – or I hope I'm ready. The Olympics mean everything to me. The overall titles have been incredible and you work hard for, but the Olympics are very special. The Americans only watch those two weeks and probably don't see your sport until the next Olympics. This is my opportunity to show American how cool skiing is. It's a great extreme sport and I hope these Olympics give me the opportunity to show them who I am and the sport I love.

USST: Will they remember your crash in Torino? Does that give you motivation?

LV: I think what I'm carrying over most from the last Olympics is the disappointment from the crash and the fact I was able to come back and still compete. The disappointment made me realize how important skiing is to me and how much I love the sport. All I wanted to do when I was in the hospital was to get up and race. I give my life for skiing and I want it so badly that I hope these Olympics will be my time and I can accomplish my childhood dream.

USST: Talk about your work ethic?

LV: This summer I don't have a life. I'm in the gym six to eight hours a day, six days a week. I don't go out with friends very often, I don't get to do the normal stuff people do. I give all my time for skiing. I worked my whole life to be at this point in my career. I didn't go to prom, I didn't go to regular high school, I sacrificed all these things so I could ski. I know how much sacrificed and I'm willing to sacrifice even more to prepare for these Games. I hope it pays off and I can accomplish my dreams.

USST: How will you prepare for next season?

LV: After the Finals I'll have a month off. In May I'm going to start working out with my Red Bull trainers. In June and July I'll be in Europe for about six weeks with the Red Bull team solely on physical fitness, trying to get stronger. We'll do the similar preparation in Chile and New Zealand. My goals in the summer are to work on GS. I' really hoping to get a podium in GS and to keep working on all my events. There will always be young girls coming up and I want to compete again next year for the overall.

USST: Do you think you have a chance of catching Phil Mahre's 27 wins or Bode Miller's 31?

LV: In a few years I hope I can break those records. If I stay healthy and stay on this track I really hope to be in the position like Renate Goetschl and maybe get close to [Annemarie] Moeser-Proell. It's a long ways off and I have a lot of work to do and hopefully I can break those records in a few years.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1