do you haggle / bargain hunt?

Author
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
2009/03/12 04:46:45 (permalink)

do you haggle / bargain hunt?

as in when you go to buy pro audio things from your local emporium..

obviously you can't do it when you go to ya supermarket

but maybe some of you have when buying a car, but not pro audio things..

obviously ya can't do it with the companies who supply the things as they have a set price to sell at, but pro audio shops have a bit of leeway.

nothing like a good game of price match ping-pong

and to the UK people.. no I don't mean in relation to the TV show
post edited by Fog - 2009/03/12 04:53:56

26 Replies Related Threads

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 05:03:59 (permalink)
    Not in shops no, but I must say I've become pretty proficient at reading on-line auctions for 2nd hand stuff. Bit of an art, that - knowing how much, and exactly when to bid (plus, knowing when it's probably the time to contact the seller via mail/phone to clinch the sale).

Happened quite a few times now that the system informed me I'd been over-bid, while the item in question was already sitting on my shelf, since people don't always remove their ads promptly.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 05:36:34 (permalink)
    If you don't ask you don't get.

I am never too embarrased to say "So what sort of deal am I going to get on this then?" or even "Well if it were half the price I wouldn't think twice about buying it. But unless you can find a way of making it less expensive..." And I'll ask these questions in any place.

I'm certainly not a skinflint as I usually end up buying the best (priciest) of what's available but it's rare that some saving cannot be made. At the very least I'll come away with a bundle of other goodies.

Having been brought up in Hong Kong must have helped as the only people there who paid the asking price were tourists.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    Fog
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 06:06:02 (permalink)
    ah but the problem with art / antiques etc.. very few people DON'T know what the price is.. market value wise.

although if they put things in the wrong category then it's often over looked.

I just find it funny when I go into my pro audio shop.. someone will walk in.. ask how much. pay for it.. and some of the items aren't cheap. customers were the same where I worked.. fair enough they can claim it back as a business expense maybe , but still.

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 06:15:14 (permalink)
    ah but the problem with art / antiques etc.. very few people DON'T know what the price is.. market value wise.

I dropped the word art, but that was about auction-reading *being* one. The merchandise was music gear, and they knew pretty well what it was worth.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 06:33:26 (permalink)
    I reckon I've turned into Terry Tibbs over the years.

And when you do business with Terry Tibbs you don't just jump into bed with him, you take him out, you wine and dine him and then, if you are lucky, he'll say I'll give you £50 for it to help out an old mate in trouble.

Here's the real dope in action.

Warning: Parental Advisory due to bad language. so don't watch if likely to be offended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ua-7YpUtPA

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 06:47:04 (permalink)
    I look for things that are priced low. I've always considered it tacky to ask for discounts, at least in a way that sounds like I'm a cheap-ass. I buy a lot of used gear, and I'll often imply hesitation through any number of subtle comments and/or gestures, and if there's leeway in the pricing, it'll usually shake out. I've been surprisingly successful at this. On new stuff, the major players all sell it for the same price, so I figure if I can afford to buy it, I can afford to pay what everyone else is paying.

Mind, I'm not saying everyone should be like me on this, just that this is how I am.
    Fog
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 07:11:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler
    I look for things that are priced low. I've always considered it tacky to ask for discounts, at least in a way that sounds like I'm a cheap-ass.

I don't give a fig.. you can go 2 ways about it.. ask for a crazy stupid price they can never match (much like Jon's friend Terry.hehe) OR be a bit cheeky but with in the bounds of reality.. You have to make it humorous, that's the key and they remember you for the right reasons.. maybe they think I'm a tight wad, but it's not like I have to see em all the time and I spend a lot there over the years. You'd be surprised who is well known that asks for discounts.. and they are rich people.

I like dealing with people in shops that "deal with the matter" and not faff me about.. I've had that before and if someone's good customer service wise I'll always go back to that specific person.

this was the weird one though.. the manager of my local audio shop.. left.. so later..hhm 6 months / year later I came back for a demo of something..he's working for the distributor of this thing..

I remembered / knew him by name... he used to be OK and I'd spend a lot of money with him when he was working there, this time he was rather rude made a very stupid un professional remark.. pity really, as a result I made a point of NOT buying any of the products they were demo'ing and bought something else instead . I felt sorry for the guy who was in the shop, as I think even he was shocked by the throwaway remark that was made.
    godino
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 09:35:39 (permalink)
    when I use what you call the local emporium - As long as the price is reasonable I tend to pay it

Theres precious few of these 'emporiums' about now - most are finding it difficult to compete with the net

So as long as the price is reasonable - I pay it -
    It would be such a pity if they all disappeared!!!

gordo

Sonar Platinum - intel I7 7700K - Windows 10 home 64 bit - focusrite 214i -  Roland Guitar Synth GR55 - Maschine Mk3 - Oxygen8 keyboard - Guitars basses etc
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 10:01:42 (permalink)
    It depends on the store or person/place I'm buying from. GC will let you haggle with them on a lot of things, so I do.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Beagle
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 10:03:00 (permalink)

Monkey23
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 848
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 10:47:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

I look for things that are priced low. I've always considered it tacky to ask for discounts, at least in a way that sounds like I'm a cheap-ass. I buy a lot of used gear, and I'll often imply hesitation through any number of subtle comments and/or gestures, and if there's leeway in the pricing, it'll usually shake out. I've been surprisingly successful at this. On new stuff, the major players all sell it for the same price, so I figure if I can afford to buy it, I can afford to pay what everyone else is paying.

Mind, I'm not saying everyone should be like me on this, just that this is how I am.

It IS tacky to haggle. As someone who works in the sort of store where a lot of haggling takes place, let me offer a few sugestions:

1. The best way to haggle is to not haggle at all! It's not haggling if you have a good reason to justify asking for a lower price. And don't beat around the bush. Come out and ask!

2. If you're going to ask, be prepared. Don't just ask for some ridiculous price. Know what the store's competitors are offering the same item at. Don't say "I'll buy it if you cut the price in half". They probably don't make that much on it and it just shows that you have no idea of the worth of the item you want to buy. Mention instead that "the flyer for store X has the item in question at $50 less than you do. Can you match it or do better?". You'll get a better response and be taken more seriously.

3. You'll have a better chance of getting a deal if it's an older item that's been in the store for a while or is last year's model, etc. A brand new item that is in high demand is not usually something that is easily bargained.

Don't forget that unless you get some young inexperienced kid as your salesman, these people have heard it all before and know exactly who's BS-ing, or and/or who is still going to take the item regardless of the deal, etc.
    post edited by Monkey23 - 2009/03/12 10:58:44
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 11:36:03 (permalink)
    I simply ask..."Is that the best you can do?" That puts the pressure on the store. I might even ask it a second time.... but there comes a point when you gotta take it or leave it. All depends on how eager the store is for the business, and how much do really want the item in question.

I am in sales...since I am a business owner, and I know that ALL stores are operating with a large profit margin, I'm not afraid to ask for a better price, because I know they have a margin to work with.

In this economy...cash is king, and the buyer is in control.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 12:09:00 (permalink)
    +1 on Monkey23's comments.

"Haggle" has a tacky connotation. Like many things in life, its how you do it that makes it tacky or not.

I almost always ask for a better price when buying pro audio. The exception might be some super closeout deal that I know is well below cost.

After all of my product questions are answered and if I've decided to buy, I simply ask as nicely as possible, "What is the best price that you can give me?" I've never seen a sales person get defensive at this point. I either get a quick answer or wait while the sales person goes to a manager or the POS terminal to see what their bottom line price is. (Going to the POS is usually the best outcome imho.)

When you get the "best" price, you have to be prepared to either take it or thank them for their time and walk. Never make the sales person feel bad or make them defensive. That's tacky!

Many times I have been very pleasantly surprised with the price I get.

Sometimes when you decide to walk, the sales person will want to negotiate. Knowing a fair bottom-line price is essential here so that you don't appear stupid or greedy. With the right sales person, it can be fun.
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 13:19:19 (permalink)
    Like many things in life, it's how you do it that makes it tacky or not

Quite!

I want to be able to go back to a retailer and get a reasonable deal again.

That usually involves us both being happy with the deals we have done before.

I worked in sales for many years and I always enjoyed the game of striking the right bargain.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    Fog
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 13:24:48 (permalink)
    haggle may not be the nicest of words, but well we all know what it means..

ORIGINAL: godino
    It would be such a pity if they all disappeared!!!

but some of the time that's down to them... I mean turnkey was LONG established before it's rivals.. their problem overstocking and when they finally went, well they owed all the major players money for stock. Than and the fact some of their staff were light fingered (notice I said SOME... so the honest ones suffered as a result)

It's all quite high value stuff really I guess. Esp if it's US imports from Mackie , Cake etc.

Monkey, well I'll find things elsewhere cheaper , normally on the web and get them to bring up the web page if it comes
    down to it.. some of the things, well I can find them in other shops than pro audio ones, if it's something multi purpose.

Beagle , that's probably my influence ... now I never got . .was it the peoples front.. or the front of peoples from.. etc etc..hehe

Beagle
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/12 13:33:26 (permalink)
    Beagle , that's probably my influence ... now I never got . .was it the peoples front.. or the front of peoples from.. etc etc..hehe

SPLITTER!!!

lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/13 01:18:46 (permalink)
    If I think the price is right I pay it. If I think its too high I haggle. If its to low I get suspicious.

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/13 11:05:53 (permalink)
    I tend to not haggle much, though I am a very good bargain hunter (value is not only about cost).

On the opposite end, everybody wants to haggle with me for the things I sell. I usually refuse or give only a token amount. I find it insulting when somebody wants to haggle with me, because I am not a profiteer.

I once had some antique tables for sale. Everybody who responded wanted to offer 25% of what I was asking. So I raised the price 4x. Sold it for full price with no haggling. Genuine value is an illusion.

The problem with haggling is if it becomes common practice, then it means I am probably never getting a good deal, and that everything is too high priced. It is one of the reasons I stopped buying cars. The whole buying process was distasteful with sales people you could not trust ever. Its the same at a flea market. I tend to not trust the sellers.

At a market where everybody pays the same price, then I feel I am actually more empowered to make a purchasing decision based on relative value and not my haggling skills.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Monkey23
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 848
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/13 11:41:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen
    ...On the opposite end, everybody wants to haggle with me for the things I sell. I usually refuse or give only a token amount. I find it insulting when somebody wants to haggle with me, because I am not a profiteer.

I know exactly what you mean. Whenever I sell something on Craigslist I was always get these insultingly low offers for stuff that I'm always giving a really good price on already (I usually price to sell quickly). I usually don't even bother dignifying those offers with a reply. On the other hand, when I sell stuff on Ebay, I've often sold stuff for more than the item is worth new! Or people surpass my "Buy it now" price. That never makes any sense to me.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/13 12:03:34 (permalink)
    I'd lie, cheat and steal to get a good deal.
    Even if it's 2 only cents off.

NOT.

I'm a bargin hunter.

Case in point. UAD-2 and all their plugs.

Just prior to UAD-2s coming out I wanted the UAD-1. I waited and low and behold, I picked up 4 UAD-1 cards for ~$1100 and and got $2200 worth of software and I've now sold three of the cards for $300. With my UAD-2 Flexi purchase I owned all the UAD plugs. Then the IBP and Harrison EQ came out. I waited again and the $350 of software cost me $130 dues to promos by UAD.

Be patient is my new motto. The bargins will be found.

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/13 12:05:16 (permalink)
    Whenever I sell something on Craigslist

I've sold three things on Craigslist.

I was only talked down once, by $10 on an $85 item.
    Fog
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/13 12:29:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bapu
    Be patient is my new motto. The bargins will be found.

indeed.. 2 things I'm waiting for... see if any company has easter sales on (Garritan has in the past) + there is a show soon in Germany, so lets see what all the makers bring to the table. Will RME put out the card I wanted 1.3 years ago? hehe

When I saw your posts when you were buying the UAD and IK stuff.. I thought.. wait a minute has space cowboy got a brother? hehe

I'm debating whether to buy a few things currently. ozone 4 is top of my list, the update. other than that I'm holding back and see what happens.

although with new / 2nd hand stuff. hhmm it's different.. I mean you know the shops have a markup, 2nd hand well say someone has got something not sold for a long time.. is it worth it? or they are asking waaaaaaaaay too much.. My fav being the roland drum machines , before rebirth came out they were like CRAZY prices £800 / £900.. I get by with samples of them, so it's not that much of a biggy.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/03/13 12:35:53
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/13 22:51:59 (permalink)
    I'm proud to say that I purposely stay at least 3 -4 years behind the technology curve. When I do make a significant purchase, it's already about 30 cents on the dollar cheaper. I'm surprised how so many people don't get into the equipment they have and extract every ounce of character and capability out of it. I also make a habit of buying good quality equipment on the cheap.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    secretcog
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/13 22:55:04 (permalink)
    Haggeling... not sure it works in pro-audio, but any musical instrument retailer will haggle, but regarding software... hmmm, never thought of it.

"Shhh...They're Listening!"-Cog
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/13 23:38:26 (permalink)
    I haggle with stores because they generally have enough mark-up to cover it...although this is on major purchases only. If they don't get me a deal I walk...I know my prices when shopping, so should the salesperson.

When buying private party, I only offer less in person if the item is not as nice as described. It's very rude in my opinion to show up and automatically lowball; I've shown people the door when they've done it to me. I'll secure a fair price before showing up, which I think is the polite way to do it. Most times, private party goods are more than fair prices anyway; so I harldly ever haggle.

As far as bargain hunting though, I'm a hound. I'm always looking for stuff to pick up and resell, I'm also not ashamed to dumpster dive (in fact I'm proud of it)!

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: do you haggle / bargain hunt? 2009/03/14 01:19:47 (permalink)
    How many of you barter?

I do, and I know a few stores that do. Its a lot different than haggling i find as bartering becomes more of a partnership.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1