Face Book how too?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2009/03/13 08:24:41 (permalink)

Face Book how too?

So it's time to bite the bullet... I've had a personal web gallery page for 10+ years so I've resisted the social network stuff... but now I see there's no way to avoid it... social network sites are a great way to let your friends viral market your artwork.

So I'm just getting started... should I go with a personal page or a "musician" page?

What's the deal with the recent talk about Facebook and copyrights of your posted content... how does that work with your original songs if you post them?

Also is there any way to see Facebook content before you are signed up? I guess some people respond to the exclusive nature of the experience... and are drawn in, but I'm repulsed by it... and find it difficult to sign up for something that's so seemingly secretive.

best,
mike
post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/03/13 08:28:26

10 Replies Related Threads

Monkey23
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 848
    RE: Face Book how too? 2009/03/13 09:00:56 (permalink)
    Yeah, Facebook is pretty evil (and lame). I'd abandon it altogether but now all my friends and family write me there instead of e-mailing me so I'm trapped there. Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in! Avoid it altogether if you can. Can't you use myspace instead? Much better site for musicians.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Face Book how too? 2009/03/13 09:08:16 (permalink)
    Thanks.

Yes I could use Myspace... I never did that either... it seems the hipster crowd here in town has moved on to Facebook.

What do they mean when they suggest that they search your email account for addresses? Does that run an application that scans your computer for your mail app? Or are they asking for the login password of your mail server???

There's a lack of info on their site.

whacky.

best,
    mike

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Face Book how too? 2009/03/13 09:37:41 (permalink)
    no - when it wants to search your email account for addresses - it's going to search for "friends" for you to invite on facebook with those email addresses.

I wasn't even aware that facebook had a "musician" type - I know myspace does that, but maybe I had my facebook account before they started the musician type of account. I don't understand that anyway - why don't they just make them the same account types and let you choose whether to put music up or not???

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Face Book how too? 2009/03/13 09:44:12 (permalink)
    I had no idea they offered a "musician page either." I'll have to investigate that. I only use it for Mafia Wars, which is bad enough..........

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: Face Book how too? 2009/03/14 01:14:21 (permalink)
    I've only been a FaceBook member for a couple of months, but to me it looks like musicians can be groups or "pages", which are different than normal user profiles. Facebook users can become members of those groups or fans of those pages. But it's not like MySpace where you are either a person or a band.

There are several ways to get your music in your FaceBook. On my page, I used a FaceBook "application" called MyStuff, which adds a tab to my profile. If a user clicks that tab, they can see whatever I put in there. I can add HTML code that links to pictures or videos, and in my case, I've embedded the SoundClick player with my music ready to play. The problem is that when someone views my profile, it's not obvious that they must click on a tab to get to my music.

But there are FaceBook applications that can use a "myTunes" player that is presented on the user's main profile page, and you can load the player with your own songs if they're on iTunes.

In general, Facebook does not make it simple to use your own page to represent yourself as a musician.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Face Book how too? 2009/03/14 08:04:17 (permalink)

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Face Book how too? 2009/03/14 09:19:51 (permalink)
    This is what confuses me...

CJ, I'm looking at your page... but I feel like because I'm not yet a Facebook member that I'm not seeing all of your page.

Is that the case or are the Facebook pages a lot plainer than the Myspace layouts?

Here's what happened... I posted a song last Friday and did a bulk email to my personal friends list. Over the past week a dozen or more folks have walked up to me singing the song and asked why I'm not on Facebook... because they wanted to share the song with their friends.

It's such a rare occurance that someone connects with my artwork... and I have an established rep as a local hermit that hides out in the forest studio... that it's inspired me to get up to date and into the social networks... so that on occasions someone does like something they can distribute it via channels they enjoy.

thanks for the explanations,
    mike

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Face Book how too? 2009/03/14 09:50:23 (permalink)
    yeah, you can't view CJ's page unless you are his friend. you have to ADD AS FRIEND, then he has to approve you, THEN you can see his page. that's one of his settings - he doesn't have his page set up to be viewed publicly.

as far as what your friends are telling you for distribution - if that's the best way to distribute to them, then go for it!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Face Book how too? 2009/03/14 09:54:24 (permalink)
    Let me tell you about my "ongoing" facebook experience. Facebook worked fine at first, though I wasn't happy with some of the limitations inherent in it's setup. Too many details to go into there.
    Then one day I could not login to facebook, everytime I tried my browser froze and I had to end task on it. With no support address's or ph. #'s for facebook I was caught in a loop of Microsoft Error Reporting and useless attempts at getting to my facebook home page. I emailed Norton Internet Security and they suggested I turn off my auto protect features. I did and got back on facebook three or four times before it all went south again. Then I found if I went to facebook from my internet provider home page I could not get in. So I went directly from the desktop and got in. It started to freeze up again so I canceled my account via their link. The browser froze while in the cancel account page change. I ended task on it and deleted every trace of facebook in my registry.
    Meanwhile Norton Security advised me to update to the newest version of Internet security and try again. I went to facebook login and it went right in. It has been working though clearly with some problems.
    Yesterday my cookie alarm went off twice while logging in to facebook, this morning I had to do a recovery to get to my personalized desktop.
    Bad cookies, hidden script, no support links, a lack of communication between security providers and microsoft, I'm ready to cancel my account on facebook again but I'm pretty sure my page would still be there after I did.
    I wonder if that constitutes identity theft?

Craig DuBuc
    rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: Face Book how too? 2009/03/14 13:05:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

Let me tell you about my "ongoing" facebook experience. Facebook worked fine at first, though I wasn't happy with some of the limitations inherent in it's setup. Too many details to go into there.
    Then one day I could not login to facebook, everytime I tried my browser froze and I had to end task on it. With no support address's or ph. #'s for facebook I was caught in a loop of Microsoft Error Reporting and useless attempts at getting to my facebook home page. I emailed Norton Internet Security and they suggested I turn off my auto protect features. I did and got back on facebook three or four times before it all went south again. Then I found if I went to facebook from my internet provider home page I could not get in. So I went directly from the desktop and got in. It started to freeze up again so I canceled my account via their link. The browser froze while in the cancel account page change. I ended task on it and deleted every trace of facebook in my registry.
    Meanwhile Norton Security advised me to update to the newest version of Internet security and try again. I went to facebook login and it went right in. It has been working though clearly with some problems.
    Yesterday my cookie alarm went off twice while logging in to facebook, this morning I had to do a recovery to get to my personalized desktop.
    Bad cookies, hidden script, no support links, a lack of communication between security providers and microsoft, I'm ready to cancel my account on facebook again but I'm pretty sure my page would still be there after I did.
    I wonder if that constitutes identity theft?

The so called FaceBook applications you can add to your page are written by third parties can cause some of these problems. When you manage to get back on FaceBook again, try removing all but the standard FaceBook apps (videos, links, notes, photos, links, and groups). Maybe that will help.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1