I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps

Author
Ron Vogel
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
2009/03/15 00:52:24 (permalink)

I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps

So I've had this Guild amp for a few months...and it's great...but I can't help selling now to buy another 60's era amp:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=150332521868
(Sorry for the shameless plug)

Anyhow, I have been scouring over amps I want...and I think what I'm going to look for next is a blackface vibro-champ.

The guild is great for clean, and it's super crisp...however I really don't do crisp. I mostly use a telecaster, and I like things a little more creamy clean. I am using a Supro 1608 with it, and is so beautiful swampy with the tele. However for clean it's only good for leads and riffs.

So does this sound like a good move, or should I be looking at a different amp?

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
Ron Vogel Soundclick page

13 Replies Related Threads

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/15 01:08:34 (permalink)
    I can't afford a vintage amp addiction :-( But I like the one I have, it's a Dr. Z Stangray :-) two 12 inch blue alenco's and a tube head. It will move you right on out of the room, house. And the tone? :-) Check him out, www.drzamps.com

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/15 05:23:43 (permalink)
    I can't afford vintage amps. I decided to quit dusting and just pretend that my '65 Deluxe Reverb reissue is an original and that my blonde Crate VC508 is from the '50s.

However, if you compare the price of vintage silverface Fenders to the new blackface reissues, you might find the originals a cheaper alternative.
    Ron Vogel
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/15 11:13:19 (permalink)
    I was looking at the reissue, the vibro champ xd. Although cheaper, the DSP stuff scares me. I'm going to check some new ones out, but I'm pretty set on an older hand wired amp. I did see an Aussie amp called the BWM chimp that looks pretty cool, and the price is right. It may be in the running, but I'd like to have a vintage tremlo on whatever I get to replace the Guild. It seems like most of the newer tube amps use solid state rectifiers over tubes.

Ron Vogel
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/15 13:27:55 (permalink)
    Ehh, now I might end up keeping it.

I went to make a secong recording with the hi-gain input, and the speaker was buzzing. I removed it from the cabinet and found it needs a recone. I just ordered a weber replacement for it. Supposedly this unit is better than the champs I've been looking at for tone, and it's a very quiet amp (so great for recording)

If the new speaker does the trick it's staying. I raised the price on the amp until the new speaker comes...so if it sells, I'll get a replacement amp for less, and buy some more recording gear!

Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/15 20:30:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ron Vogel

I was looking at the reissue, the vibro champ xd. Although cheaper, the DSP stuff scares me.

I was thinking about the more traditional reissues that don't have anything digital in them. I don't consider the XD amplifiers to be reissues so much as new products.
    space_cowboy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/15 21:18:03 (permalink)
    Dude it is a dangerous addiction.
    I have
    69 or so Fender Super Six (think twin reverb with 6 10")
    Blackface Deluxe - 66 from what I can tell.
    68 or so Silverface Princeton Reverb
    52 or so Tweed Princeton
    60 or so Gretsch 6120
    Plus other stuff.

You need a good local tech. If you go tweed, you will likely need to get the power supply chord replaced as many of the early ones were two prongs.

The Gretsch - I paid like $1000 for it. I have rented it to a studio that does the photo work for the menus for Hard Rock Cafe for more than I paid for the danged thing.

There are some great modern interpretations of the old classics. I have 3 Kendricks. I love them. Each is different in its own way.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Ron Vogel
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/16 15:40:26 (permalink)
    I may have one custom made for me by a local electrical engineer now. He can do a vibro-champ with the mods I want from scratch for less than a blackface. I kind of like the idea, because not only will I get what exactly I want, I don't have to worry about the speaker, or recapping, or bad tubes.

Anyway...I had to post this, as I am getting closer to finishing this one. I redid many of the guitar parts with my vintage amps recently. The heavier part before the vox is an Am Std tele through a Supro 1608 cranked all the way up, no effects on it other than verb...there is a sweep across the soundstage I did use effects on (phaser), but you'll hear that stand out. That amp is the best amp for heavy tele stuff ever, I frigging love it!
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7074218&q=hi

MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/16 15:59:51 (permalink)
    inhalation or intravenous?

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Cromberger
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/16 20:08:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

I have

Hi, space_cowboy,

Wow, I haven't heard of a Super Six in many, many years. I remember when they came out, though, and thought it was a pretty amazing amp. Very cool that you have one.

52 or so Tweed Princeton

Here's a picture of my 1952 Deluxe (with new grille cloth, though it's linen, like the original, and color-correct):

1952 Deluxe

Not too many of the '52 Fenders around anymore according to my tech guy.

There are some great modern interpretations of the old classics. I have 3 Kendricks. I love them. Each is different in its own way.

I've wanted to check out some Kendricks amps for years. Have never had the scratch to order one, but I've sure heard a lot of good things about them. I nearly had my '52 Deluxe restored by the folks at Kendrick but I found a guy here in California that's only a couple of hundred miles away from where I live. Have you ever had Kendrick do repair/restoration on any of your old amps and, if so, were you satisfied with the work?

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    space_cowboy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/17 10:14:07 (permalink)
    My Princeton does not look as good as your deluxe.
    The super six is awesome. I used to have a quad reverb (twin with 4-12s). I would buy another if I could find as good a deal as I did with this Super Six.
    Never had Gerald touch one of my Fenders, but I have talked with him at several guitar shows (Dallas, Arlington...) and he is knowledgeable and accessible. And a tube nerd.

I have these:
    an 6 watt or so thing called a Roughneck
    a 30 watt 4-10" Black Gold with Snake Skin
    A Texas Crude 30 watt or so 1-12".

I would buy more if I weren't getting killed right now in my career

ORIGINAL: Cromberger

I have

Hi, space_cowboy,

Wow, I haven't heard of a Super Six in many, many years. I remember when they came out, though, and thought it was a pretty amazing amp. Very cool that you have one.

52 or so Tweed Princeton

Here's a picture of my 1952 Deluxe (with new grille cloth, though it's linen, like the original, and color-correct):

1952 Deluxe

Not too many of the '52 Fenders around anymore according to my tech guy.

I've wanted to check out some Kendricks amps for years. Have never had the scratch to order one, but I've sure heard a lot of good things about them. I nearly had my '52 Deluxe restored by the folks at Kendrick but I found a guy here in California that's only a couple of hundred miles away from where I live. Have you ever had Kendrick do repair/restoration on any of your old amps and, if so, were you satisfied with the work?

Best regards,
    Bill

post edited by space_cowboy - 2009/03/17 10:17:05

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Ron Vogel
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/17 20:25:53 (permalink)
    Well, a continuation of the saga...

I went out and tried 2 new amps today.
    First was an Orange 5 watt combo amp, it had either a 8 or 10" speaker. Wow, great power chord amp...tons of crunch for heavy riffs...no bass. For $500, not worth the time at all! (at least for me). No good clean sounds whatsoever. Sounded solid state, even though it was 100% tube. I just don't get the hype. Not punchy at all, no natural compression...one trick pony.

Sencond was a Mesa Boogie mark 1 reissue. Like a breath of fresh air, sounded awesome...but way too much power for home recording. Is it worth the time?...maybe. If you like brown corduroy, you will love this amp. Everything sounded brown...clean was nice, very involving...just not $1500 involving; plus it had too many knobs and adjustments (if it needs that many knobs to have one sound, the preamp section has to be sucking the tone right out of it!). I spent at least an hour and a half between the two amps, so I got a pretty good handle on them.

Tomorrow I try a Princeton recording!
    post edited by Ron Vogel - 2009/03/17 20:47:50

Ron Vogel
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/18 13:47:06 (permalink)
    Found EXACTLY the sound I am looking for in the Princeton. The "recording" Princeton is not worth the extra money for the attenuator, overdrive or compressor though. It sounded fantastic with all that crap turned off. I played so vigorously that I ended up breaking a string while demoing it. Then I tried a new Champ

Yeah, never try a Champ after a Princeton. The Thunder 1 I'm selling is almost tit for tat as the Princeton...with the Princeton edging it out for creaminess. Both are punchy and clear, with a tight and full bottom. The Thunder would be much better for Gibson guitars which I hardly play.

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: I think I'm getting addicted to vintage amps 2009/03/20 07:57:22 (permalink)

I have
    Blackface Deluxe - 66 from what I can tell.
    68 or so Silverface Princeton Reverb
    52 or so Tweed Princeton
    60 or so Gretsch 6120
    Plus other stuff.

You need a good local tech. If you go tweed, you will likely need to get the power supply chord replaced as many of the early ones were two prongs.

The Gretsch - I paid like $1000 for it. I have rented it to a studio that does the photo work for the menus for Hard Rock Cafe for more than I paid for the danged thing.

Why is it that you always seem to need to compete with everyone. Are you that insecure? Whether it's synths, amps, guitars, whatever, you've always got to check in to let everyone know that you've got the most, rarest, most valuable, whatever. Isn't this a little childish?

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1