Acronis True Image

Author
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
2009/03/15 06:35:33 (permalink)

Acronis True Image

I'm setting up my new quadcore today as my Sonar 8PE DAW. I bought Acronis True Image and I am going to install this to protect the system while I upgrade to Vista SP1 etc. Has anyone used this here? There is a try and decide mode which indicates I can test programme and system settings before committing. Would this be suitable for Vista type system upgrades?

Reason for looking for other peoples experiences is last time I did this the Vista SP1 install completely trashed my system, I couldn't go back to the recovery partition, safe mode or anything, and had to rebuild the system from scratch. I need to make sure I get full protection this time round - Any info anyone?

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)

12 Replies Related Threads

mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/15 09:06:24 (permalink)
    You would create a full backup of the system drive and store the backup on another drive. Then, you could install/upgrade Vista, and if you didn't like it, restore the system drive from the full backup you made. The system disk will be exactly the same as it was when you made the full backup. While there is a "try and decide" mode, I would feel more comfortable with a full backup. I would encourage you to do backups on a regular basis, as well.

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/15 11:50:30 (permalink)
    I use True Image on XP and Vista. Excellent program and far better than Norton Ghost which I also used for several years although only on 98 and XP. Never used the try and decide part though, I tend to just reinstall my system from a backup if I install something that seems to be causing problems. Probably should make the effort to use it and maybe save myself some time.
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/16 07:40:28 (permalink)
    Garry,

I just bought True Image this last weekend. I used it to back up my dual-boot OS drives (on my C and F drives) with the hopes that I could move my current OS drives to a new SSD drive. With this software it worked flawlessly. It couldn't have had an easier time at it. And it wasn't like I used their automatic mode. I went through the manual mode steps and was able to backup and recover to my new drive without a hitch.

I haven't had a need to use the "Try and Decide" feature quite yet, but will definitely consider it with the next main software purchase I would have.

Take care,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/16 09:50:05 (permalink)
    Hi Garry,

True Image works great for creating/restoring backup image files.
    The only caveat (right now) is that True Image has problems with the x58 chipset.
    I'm sure Acronis will get this sorted...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/16 13:50:08 (permalink)
    Hi Gary!

I agree with the others that TrueImage is an excellent program.
    However, like most back up programs, it is imperative that you actually TEST it.
    Don't rely on checking the archive for integrity.
    Wipe a drive and actually try and restore using the recovery CD and your archive.

That being said, Acronis is tops in my book.
    Much better than any version of Ghost I have tried.
    It will even backup and restore Linux partitions and Grub bootloaders.
    It's worked like a charm for me and I have been using it for a couple
    of years under Windows XP.

Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/21 18:53:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wormser

Hi Gary!

I agree with the others that TrueImage is an excellent program.
    However, like most back up programs, it is imperative that you actually TEST it.
    Don't rely on checking the archive for integrity.
    Wipe a drive and actually try and restore using the recovery CD and your archive.

I fully agree with wormser. MAKE SURE your drive images actually work, especially if you have put them on DVDs and even more if you've spanned the images across multiple DVDs. I've had a couple of occasions where I needed to restore from DVDs and have gotten the message "file corrupted, can not continue restore". These files were checked with the True Image image checker yet they still would not restore. Not good.

That said, I've never had a problem with images that were stored on an internal hard drive. They restore just fine and work as advertised. Just be careful with removable media and True Image.

Disclaimer: This happened to me on both True Image 8 and 9. I have not tried any newer versions of the program so I can't say if this is still a problem.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/21 21:48:05 (permalink)
    I thought True Imagecould only rebuild tha actual physical drive you installed the OS on?

How can you write over that drive as a test when the very test puts the OS at risk?

Are you just speaking of data back ups?

Or can you actually move your OS to another drive and put that in your system and have it boot properly?

best regards,
    mike

rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/22 18:38:57 (permalink)
    I've used True Image many times to replace the system drive by simply restoring the backup image file to the new drive. Somebody on this forum mentioned a VST plug or instrument that required reactivation after doing that, as though the product checked the hard drive serial number. I have never run into that.

So one way you can test your image is to physically disconnect your system drive and restore to a different drive, and then verify that everything works.
    post edited by rstollen - 2009/03/22 18:45:38

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/22 19:23:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

I thought True Imagecould only rebuild tha actual physical drive you installed the OS on?

How can you write over that drive as a test when the very test puts the OS at risk?

Are you just speaking of data back ups?

Or can you actually move your OS to another drive and put that in your system and have it boot properly?

best regards,
    mike

Hi, Mike,

I've never tried to "test" by restoring an image to another drive but, as restollen said, I think it's possible. I was just referring to doing a restore of the original drive, just as you would do in the case of some sort of goof up in your drive. As far as I understand it, True Image wipes the drive and then places the restore files back in the same place, via it's own startup disk. But, to be honest, I haven't studied the manual enough to go beyond the most basic useage of the program.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    rstollen
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/23 00:04:03 (permalink)
    True Image does wipe out the entire partition before restoring, but it does not attempt to put all the sectors in the same location they came from. That behavior would cause problems when restoring to different drives. The sectors that are marked as bad on the new drive will not be used. Also, you can change the partition size and even the file system (FAT32, NTFS) when restoring to the new drive.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    pistolpete
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/03/23 08:39:20 (permalink)
    I've used this and it works well. The only minor problem I have seen is that it set up a scheduler service that can eat up CPU cycles. that can be disabled though.
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Acronis True Image 2009/04/02 18:13:43 (permalink)
    Just to top and tail this thread a couple of weeks after starting it - I have gone from newbie to old lag with True Image in s couple of weeks. When staging a DAW, I would recommend the try and decide mode 100% every time as there are so many add-on, VST's upgrades etc it gives total peace of mind - A great piece of software.

Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1