So, where have your travels taken you in life.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/16 11:43:16 (permalink)
http://www.durangotrain.com/

The drive from Denver to Durango is beautiful. We stopped at an amazing old hotel in Ouray.

My Grandpa was an engineer for Union Pacific. When I was a kid, they were retiring some old steam locomotive and taking it on a tour. He got to drive it for a stretch of the route and he let me rid with him up in the cab. It was amazing! Steam engines are incredible machines. They really do seem like they're alive. Somewhere there's a picture of me standing next to the engine. The top of my head comes to about halfway up one of the wheels.

As for my travels, I've made it all over the western USA (drove all along the western coast one summer), NYC, Nederland Texas, La Crosse Wisconsin, Miami. Favorite place in the US: Either San Francisco, or NYC. But Utah is home and I really like it here. There's such a wide range of outdoor activities here.

Round the world: Mumbai, New Delhi, Taipei, London, Florence, Venice, Vienna, Guadalajara and San Luis Potisi Mexico. San Luis Potisi had a really interesting French influence to it. Loved them all, but my absolute favorite was Vienna. What an awesome place for musical history!

My sister-in-law's family lives in Kailua Oahu, so that gives us a good excuse (and a free place to stay) to go to Hawaii.
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/16 11:59:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: edentowers

We're also on a 3 week trip to the US in about 10 weeks time - taking in New York, Washington, Chicago, Denver, Durango, Los Angeles & San Francisco.

Colin, I hope you'll find some time to go for a ride on this...

http://www.durangotrain.com/

The drive from Denver to Durango is beautiful. We stopped at an amazing old hotel in Ouray. Hard to think it was over 18 years ago.

Nice to know that I've been some places that Space hasn't though. We stayed with friends in Hanover, NH a few years back. A year after that we joined them for a week in their family's wonderful beachside holiday home in Cape Cod.

I was born in England but brought up in Australia (Melbourne, Victoria and Burnie, Tasmania) and Hong Kong.

Phillip - I think that's more or less exactly the same train we take for one of the legs of the journey.

I just wish we'd bought our dollars last year when we could get $2 for every £1 GBP

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
edentowers
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1164
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/16 17:47:20 (permalink)
You're going to have a really lovely time.

Yes, two Bucks to the pound would be nice but things like food and drink are reasonably priced in the States anyway.

Phil

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/16 20:50:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bristol_Jonesey

ORIGINAL: RobertB

I can think of one big reason to go to Durango.
If my guess is correct, try to swing by Alamosa. It's on the way from Denver to Durango.

What happens there then mate? Chances of us making a detour are zero as we're on a train.

Well, if you are going by train, you will most likely go through Glennwood Canyon, which is a very different direction, but amazing in its own right.
Alamosa is close to an operating rail museum (the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad). They have a bunch of working equipment from the old narrow gauge railroads here in Colorado, including rotary snow plows, which they run in special Winter trains. I have been building a model based on the Rio Grande Southern, which terminated in Durango, for several years. Part of the fun is just researching the history of the area. My travels have contributed to my being a rabid history buff, and I really enjoy getting into some local history. Plus, steam engines are just to cool.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Bristol_Jonesey
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/17 06:06:20 (permalink)
Nice one Robert! Model making was one of my favourite pastimes as a kid - I'd still indulge now, but don't really have the time anymore.

Local history, even where I live (on the outskirts of Bristol) is a fascinating subject and continually throws up facts and figures that can be simply astounding.

A friend of mine has built a pub in his back garden, with room for about 20/30 people, and all the walls are decked out in old newspaper stories and pictures - all of it connected in some way with the original village (Downend) where we now live.

[He built the pub so that we'd all have somewhere to go where we could happily drink AND smoke at the same time]

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/17 10:21:52 (permalink)
Whoever said that the Silverton-Ouray-Durango trek was great understated it. And the train ride is special.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/17 12:02:10 (permalink)

So, where have your travels taken you in life

Barry Island.

Unfortunately it was open

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Bristol_Jonesey
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/17 12:26:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

So, where have your travels taken you in life

Barry Island.

Unfortunately it was open

+1 for Barry Island!!!!!!

The last time I was there was when we stopped off for a football match, Bristol Rovers v Swansea.

It was open then.

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/17 12:45:18 (permalink)
besides about 25 of the lower 48, I've been to Alaska & Hawaii.

Ouside the US:

Mexico (Accapulco, TJ, Mexico City)
Canada (Quebec, Vancouver)
India (Bangalore)
Carribean (Cruises)
Guam

Would like to see:
Greece
Australia
England
godino
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/17 13:02:04 (permalink)
Barry Island - Luxury!!

When I was a kid my gran had a static caravan on a site at Beachhome holiday camp nr Cleethorpes

What can I say about Beachholme - it was like a Butlins but without the amenities or the fun

They had a camp compare who was the image of Ted Bovis (if you can remember him from Hi de Hi)
someone stole the mic stand from the club one night, so they attached the mic to a broom handle
propped up against a stool - CLASS

still ... it was my first taste of chicken in a basket - what a treat!!!

gordo

Sonar Platinum - intel I7 7700K - Windows 10 home 64 bit - focusrite 214i -  Roland Guitar Synth GR55 - Maschine Mk3 - Oxygen8 keyboard - Guitars basses etc
edentowers
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1164
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/17 13:07:16 (permalink)
Barry Island. There's wonderful isn't it?
All you could wish for to complete something so otherwise perfect would be to discover that Max Boyce was playing a gig during your visit.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
SteveStrummerUK
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/17 13:12:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: edentowers

Barry Island. There's wonderful isn't it?

From distant memory I recall things floating down the log flume that would suggest the ride was part of the South Wales sewage infrastructure

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/17 14:35:43 (permalink)
timed post-expired
post edited by spacey - 2009/03/18 06:59:03
space_cowboy
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/03/17 15:17:10 (permalink)
I went through a phase where I was taking 2-4 week vacations (working some too) where I would move my family into a house in France, Spain, Italy... and try to assimilate into the local culture. You learn a lot more that way.

With France, I also had the good fortune to rent an apartment in St Germain in late December 1999 - putting us in the heart of the city (not so much the touristy side) for the big NY 2000 bash.

That is the way I prefer to travel now - stay in one place long enough to learn the culture. It is so much different than seeing 10 countries in 5 days - aka If its Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium.

Having said that, there is so much to see in the US. Two years back, I took my son camping in Yellow Stone for a week - out in the North Eastern part of the park - no running water, no electricity - 5 miles down gravel roads to get to about 30 campsite that was next to a big creek (Slough Creek). We had animals coming through our campsite constantly, though the only grizzly we saw was about 5 miles out as we were driving to a small Montana town at the NE exit of the park.

Been down to Big Bend a few times - another gorgeous area. Alaska - man - awe inspiring. Nebraska - nah - just kidding. One of the six states I have never made it too. I was thinking about buying an abandoned silo for the world's biggest reverb chamber.

The San Juan Islands - in the NW corner of Washington State - also some of the most scenic parts of our country. Orcas Island, Friday Harbor... It is amazing - and totally unlike being anywhere close to Seattle (no offense Bit Flipper - I like Seattle).

There are desolate parts of Florida that are lovely. The islands off NC are nice. The UP is kind of cool, though i am not a huge fan of Detroit. Martha's Vineyard - kinda cool. Santa Fe. Red Rock country in AZ. Eureka CA - a victorian gold rush town. So many great places in the US. And all so different.
Canada has some fabulous

There is a ton of the US

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Duffage
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/05 20:14:01 (permalink)
As for my travels, I've made it all over the western USA (drove all along the western coast one summer), NYC, Nederland Texas, La Crosse Wisconsin, Miami.

Imagine my surprise at seeing my little hometown listed here.

As to the question:
I've been more than once to the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland), Netherlands and Spain. Brief visits to France and Morocco. Visited most major cities in the US and too many rural places to try to remember.

Steve in La Crosse
farrarbc
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 646
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/05 20:53:36 (permalink)
Here are some of the places I've been:

USA - Every state except Hawaii, Alaska, Maine, Vermont, Montana, North Dakota
Canada - Toronto, Windsor, Ottowa, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Calgary, Vancouver
Mexico - Victoria, Monterrey, Tampico, Cozumel, Tijuana
Cayman Islands
UK - London, Chichester, Portsmouth, Durham, Darlington, Daventry, Oxford, Birmingham, Manchester
France - Paris, Nice, Lyon, Port D`Ail, Dijon
Monaco - Monte Carlo
Italy - Rome, Venice, Florence, Verona, Milan
Germany - Munich, Frankfurt, Gross Gerau, Bad Schoenborn, Zweibrücken, Heidelberg, Weisbaden
Austria -Salzburg
Netherlands - Amsterdam

--BF
Sonar X1 Producer Expanded
Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
MoonLight Handgrenade DAW
Win7 64bit
Intel i7-980
Gigabyte G1 Guerilla
24GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
(4) 320 GB Seagates
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/05 21:23:24 (permalink)
My most memorable trip was riding as a guest and hand on a small motor yacht thru the entire Eire Canal to the Hudson River. I used 411 to phone an old buddy in Woodstock and he met us in Kingston and we went in for dinner. We stopped in NYC for two days and eventually made it down to Annapolis for Memorial Day before I had to fly home.

space_cowboy
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/06 09:09:05 (permalink)
I can now proudly add central PA to my list of places I have been. Other than State College, there aint much there.

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/06 09:24:18 (permalink)

That's a great trip... I did the Durango/Silverton in 1976 with my Dad. Great memories.

best,
mike

Doc_Hollingsworth
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2289
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/06 10:07:04 (permalink)
I like some grew up as a military brat and then due to business I traveled extensively. So here is my list by country or state. The cities I can say have been numerous.

Alaska; Hawaii; Washington; Oregon; California (lived there off and on); Idaho (live there now); Nevada; Arizona; Utah; New Mexico; Colorado; Texas; Oklahoma; Kansas (lived there for 2 years); Minnesota; Missouri; Iowa; Ohio; Wisconsin; Illinois; Indiana; Louisiana; Arkansas; Tennessee (Even been to Graceland); Georgia; Florida (lived there for 5 years); Virgina; District of Columbia; New York; New Jersey; Pennsylvania; Delaware; Maryland & Alabama.

Philippines (2years); Japan (2 years in Misawa; 2 years in Tokyo); Canada (Quebec City and Montreal); Mexico (Guadalajara); Germany (1 month - Cologne, Wiesbaden, Bergneustadt, Gumasbach); Denmark (Copenhagen and Ballerup 3 weeks); Netherlands (Amsterdam).

Doc
MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

foxwolfen
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/06 23:05:13 (permalink)
I'm on the Highway To Hell, doaw doaw doaw daow daow

I don't remember where I been, but I shure (nudge nudge) know where I am goin.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
Mamabear
  • Total Posts : 8954
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/06 23:41:02 (permalink)
I've lived in OK, WI & MO, Papua New Guinea and Ontario, Canada.
Visited several states, inc. Alaska and Hawaii and several provinces (all west of Ontario) and been to WAY too many airports!
rob.pulman
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/06 23:46:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

For me, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, England, Wales, Scotland. Visiting is one thing but if you really want to experience a different culture, stay with a local family and do what they do and eat what they eat. That has been my best adventures. You really get to see how alike and different you can be at the same time.

Mod bod - that's so refreshing to see you mentioning Wales. The vast majority of folks across the pond only usually mention England, Scotland or Ireland, and never mention the most scenic and beautiful area of the UK - Wales. I'm Welsh, we have our own language and culture, and we are probably alongside New Zealand in our obsession with the best game on Earth - Rugby Union. (pity we can't quite match NZ on the pitch though). Hope you liked it, and come back some day.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
SteveStrummerUK
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/07 05:08:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rob.pulman

Mod bod - that's so refreshing to see you mentioning Wales. The vast majority of folks across the pond only usually mention England, Scotland or Ireland, and never mention the most scenic and beautiful area of the UK - Wales. I'm Welsh, we have our own language and culture, and we are probably alongside New Zealand in our obsession with the best game on Earth - Rugby Union. (pity we can't quite match NZ on the pitch though). Hope you liked it, and come back some day.

Hi Rob

All joking aside (i.e. my many references to Barry Island/taking your mud home etc), I also think Wales is a beautiful place and is my holiday destination of choice.

Over the years, I've spent many a happy summer both as a child and latterly with my own kids at a variety of destinations; Amroth probably being my favourite. This year we're heading oop north for a week near Pwllheli - it's a perfect spot, with beaches and plenty of amusements for the kids and we'll only be a short drive away from a day's trip around Snowdonia.

This is, to me, the lure of Wales, you're never very far from stunning scenery - I'm guessing you caught a few of my pics from our recent trip to the Elan Valley?

As to the rugby, I have to agree with your assessment - I remember at school that any lad who spoke with a Welsh accent was automatically picked for the rugby team without even having had to display his prowess!

Mind you, I'm fortunate enough to have watched the game through the seventies and can reel off the names of those Welsh wizards... the likes of Barry John, Gareth Edwards, Phil Bennett, JPR, JJ, Gerald Davies, big Merv etc etc... marvellous!

Steve

space_cowboy
RE: So, where have your travels taken you in life. 2009/04/07 10:03:57 (permalink)
Mama Bear
I will be in your lovely city of OKC tonight. I cannot wait. But I have to. SW wont let me have their airplane any earlier.
ORIGINAL: Mamabear

I've lived in OK, WI & MO, Papua New Guinea and Ontario, Canada.
Visited several states, inc. Alaska and Hawaii and several provinces (all west of Ontario) and been to WAY too many airports!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1