First Song- Remix

Author
bartleby
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2009/03/17 23:54:23 (permalink)

First Song- Remix

Hi all-

Based on the many gracious suggestions from you, i plunked around with the first song i posted about a week ago (please don't forget me when i'm gone). here's the changes made, with some commentary afterward.

panned rhythm guitar tracks wide left and right (widened) to leave room for vocals.
as well, i pushed the lead to center.
highlighted lead break by cutting 3DB on rhythm tracks and lowered low end on lead and raised midrange and high range on the lead itself.
i tried to harmonize instead of doubling...but wowee zoweee...not there yet.
i also tried to address "punchiness" (some notes louder than others), but i wasn't able to manage/manipulate a consistent clip, if that makes sense (although i'm probably demonstrating my ignorance here)
finally, i noodled around with vocal eq as well for some "sparkle"...but that raised an issue.

where some had heard "tubbiness" before, it seems this noodling on vocal revealed some plosives and sibilance, which leads me to believe that when you mangle some tracks others are affected as well...???

anyway, i think i addressed most of the comments if i haven't described them all here. let me know...

b

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=931566&songID=7406800

oh, posting another rough draft here in a second...

7 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: First Song- Remix 2009/03/18 08:59:19 (permalink)
    I think I listened to this before.... this has the potential to be a decent folk song....

The vox are still doubled and not harmony. The guitar and lead vox sound OK.... now.... work on the harmony.

Just a thought: Take a listen to the soundtrack in the movie.."Oh Brother Where art Thou".... the Soggy Bottom Boys have some cool harmony work going on....good movie too...BTW.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ralphwiggum
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: First Song- Remix 2009/03/21 15:17:19 (permalink)
    I like this remix better than the original. The fingerpicked guitar stands out much more now as do the vocals. This is great for a first post, it has a old timey feel to it. I still think you should record a more prominent guitar solo over the break.

JudZilla
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: First Song- Remix 2009/03/21 19:32:05 (permalink)
    Agree with GH, harmony vox would add a lot to this song, more depth.

This isn't the sort of music I normally listen to, you can sure play guitar nicely! Only other suggestion is to add a very slight chorus to the guitar see how that sounds? I liked the guitar sound, but it came over a little flat. Also maybe eq up the higher frequencies just a little as well. This could all be nonsense as I said I don't listen to this sort of music a lot!

Nice work tho.
    bartleby
    RE: First Song- Remix 2009/03/28 14:53:02 (permalink)
    all=
    sorry to be tardy. i was away for work and unable to reply to comments...
    guitarhacker
    yeah, i tried out some harmonization, but i don't think i'm there yet vocally.

ralphwiggum
    i think i know what your saying about a more prominent solo. in this mix i brought up the fingerpick part and lowered the rhythm...but you're suggesting another solo altogether...i think. we'll see what i can do here.

JudZilla
    thanks for listening to something out of your element, and i appreciate the comments. still learning how to use this stuff and all ears give a little something more to consider.

b
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: First Song- Remix 2009/03/28 19:56:27 (permalink)
    I thought this was good - a fun listen.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Blurick
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: First Song- Remix 2009/03/28 21:20:05 (permalink)
    I like this remix better than the first as well. As mentioned by others, I would for sure get rid of the doubled vox and replace with some sweet harmonies.

Nice work

Rick
    bartleby
    RE: First Song- Remix 2009/03/28 22:34:01 (permalink)
    Clean
    Thanks for the listen and the compliment!

Bluirck
    Well, given another suggestion for harmony, i suppose i'll have to step up and see if i can pull something off.
    Thanks!

b
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1