The Mad Hatter

Author
rolifer@verizon.net
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1676
2009/03/18 14:44:13 (permalink)

The Mad Hatter

This first half of this piece uses all GPO instruments with effects from Z3TA and Guitar Rig while the second half is a conventional Orchestra with GPO and EWQL.

http://www.box.net/shared/4yml9rjcof

This piece has consumed a lot of my time and is not yet completed, but I think it is presentable.

Comments and any suggestions are welcome.

Ron

26 Replies Related Threads

Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/18 18:23:46 (permalink)
    Yo Ron,

Really good and interesting stuff, as usual.

Shimmering orchestral effects, overlapping themes, and tasty dissonance. I really like all the percusion parts in the 2nd segment.

Cheers,

Bert

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/18 18:34:19 (permalink)
    Ron, what the heck is this, besides some of the most bizarre music I've heard in a while ?
    You have sufficiently entangled my brain with some of the most esoteric melodies, yet seem to keep it all masterfully cohesive. You've also managed to grab the orchestra by a joy stick and had your way with their tuning knobs.... Like a whammy bar on a Stratocaster.... ( You Naughty Boy ... How do you score that ??? ) .. All of the instruments just sound wonderful and the mix is fantastic... You really have mastered this haven't you??? I wish I could just get started writing again.

This piece has consumed a lot of my time
    - Probably an understatement !!! Sorry, this is most definitely an understatement. Don't you have studies you should be attending to????

This is so utterly cool that I think I'm just going to have to download it and listen to this again at a later time.... I hope I have enough memory on my MP3 player for this one ....

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/18 18:54:30 (permalink)
    Well, you are certainly getting the hang of GPO... the overall quality of presentation is vastly improved.

I would like more in the bottom end.. you have a timpani and other low instruments, they need to be emphasized a bit more to balance the clarity of the highs.

Well done. The beginning was kind of creepy, I like it . There were moments of Gershwin in this (and many others). You are indeed one of a kind here.

Cheer
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/18 23:33:01 (permalink)
    Bert

I actually composed that second half first and realized it wasn't Mad enough to fit the Mad Hatter, but it still gives that impression I think. Just not enough to open with.

Jim

Every time I finish a piece, I go into a bit of a scare that it will be my last and I have lost my creativity. At that point I force myself to try to compose something. Most of the time those pieces get shelved and hopefully forgotten, but occasionally it just works again. The beginning of this one was just that. I'm still not sure if it works, but I do like it.

It's funny you should call some of the parts esoteric. Sometimes people hear my music and say where are the themes? Where is the melody? Both are there, but of course they are not always readily apparent. Only the select few actually grasp what is under the surface. Esoteric fits my music perfectly.

If I took 2 violins and 2 cello's and hooked them up to the right amplifiers, this piece could actually be performed live with out a synth involved. The craziest thing about it all is that I could even score this.

I am studying what I love everytime I sit down and start to compose, The rest of this semester at school is just for a piece of paper which I hope to get in May. That's one piece of BS (Bachlelor of Science) that cost me a ton of money.

My advice to you is to just sit down and throw out some notes and try to make some sense of them. In time it will work.

Shad

You are probably right about the low end. I have the Contrabass in there, but it is low in the mix.

So where is Chapter 4?

Thanks guys

Ron

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/18 23:40:19 (permalink)
    I did one called the slightly off center haberdasher? So I believe the "idea" may be stolen from me. The slightly off center haberdasher was more traditional than this, I was playing with a hat band at the time (we only did hat songs). This is an unusual piece, but if I had a dollar for every unusual piece I’ve had, I mean heard in my life, well… I ‘d have several dollars…

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/18 23:44:53 (permalink)
    Well it's no dance tune, but like all your musc, it is creative... and quite mad...
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 01:26:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rolifer@verizon.net

My advice to you is to just sit down and throw out some notes and try to make some sense of them. In time it will work.

Shad
    So where is Chapter 4?

Very true. My last songs guitar part was actually just me "making noise" as I said to Sophie while trying things out. Suddenly the noise turned itself into a song. I am still a bit confused about how that happened actually... it seems like I was not involved.

Anyway...

Chapter 4 music should be along soon i hope. Contributions are welcome for future chapters.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 03:19:44 (permalink)
    Hi, Ron,

Wow, this is really unusual but also very, very cool. It sort of reminds me of what would happen if a theme park thrill ride crashed into an opera house! And I mean that in a good way. The mix is very nice and wide, and sounds great on my monitors. The GPO sounds fantastic.

This definitely would make an excellent movie soundtrack. Very creative and interesting piece!
    Bob
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 10:29:16 (permalink)
    Ron,

Nice work here - this is more of the style I'm used to hearing from you.

BTW, I'm working on a new tune called "Overreaction" - hopefully it will turn out decently.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 10:50:25 (permalink)
    Hello Ron,

This is seemingly more dissonant (is that possible???) than your others. It has a surreal psychotic feel to it. When you say "Mad Hatter" you really mean "MAD". I was having a hard time finding something to hold on to for the first 2 minutes as the tonality seemed to have no center of gravity but halfway through the horns kinds of kept me bouyant and served as a compass of sorts.
    Very interesting composition.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 11:22:00 (permalink)
    I'm listening to this at my store and I keep looking over my shoulder. I really like it! When I was 12 my Parents got me a clock radio with FM. I listened to classical music all the time. Dude, they've got nothing on you. I am hearing the picked strings now and can't seem to go back to work. Another warped mind on the board. That's great!! I like the little chimes or ringy things. What a collage!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 12:36:58 (permalink)
    Ron, I was kinda hoping that Alice was going to do her 'routine', but this'll do for now... (get yer mind outta the gutter) Now if I were back in the 60's..I would be having my 'cup o' tea' whilst listening to this. The orchestration/ mix has this wonderful swirling effect (orderly chaos). Dynamic, full, even playful creative and most of all, a pleasure to listen too. I'll be your roadie as long as you feed me!! Not completed???

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 14:50:42 (permalink)
    This is so utterly cool that I think I'm just going to have to download it and listen to this again at a later time.... I hope I have enough memory on my MP3 player for this one ....
    So I did this yesterday and listened to this last night as I was lying in bed .... Very Well Done ... ( Much easier to appreciate when there are absolutely no distractions )

As I was listening, I too picked up on the Gershwin !!! ( Good catch Shad ) And I think this was the "counter balance" to the song.

Suddenly the noise turned itself into a song
    ... Lately, it's been the other way around for me ...

I am still a bit confused about how that happened actually... it seems like I was not involved.
    This is how most of my music happens ... It starts with a simple idea on the guitar and just develops from there.

I did one called the slightly off center haberdasher?
    -LOL- One time my daughter typed a paper for my Son and while proof reading it changed My Son's Mad-Scientist into an Angry Scientist ..... Somethings don't translate very well like your "Slightly off Centered" Haberdasher. Should have been an Angry Haberdasher !!!!

Alice was going to do her 'routine'
    -

Ron, I think Larry would probably enjoy the "Queen of Hearts" one! I sure did!

- TAP -

post edited by Tap - 2009/03/19 15:21:13

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 14:54:25 (permalink)
    As Frank said - you can't dance to it, so it rates real high on my scale just based on that.

A tune like this is sort of like sorbet, it cleanses the listening pallet between the rock and blues numbers.

Very nice.

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    michaelrb
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 21:18:28 (permalink)
    Awesome. I loved listening to it. My background is in 20th century music, although I now primarily write songs.

The tonal layering at the beginning reminded me of "The Housatonic at Stockbridge" which is one of the movements from Three Places in New England by Charles Ives, (which I'm sure you know) but you took it from there and added some very potent elements. Excellent, but I'd need to listen to it again to give any substantial critique.

It seemed scored and then placed into Sonar but alas, the threads indicate I am wrong once again. I look forward to hearing more.

Running Sonar X1, Vista Business x64, Intel i7 920, Delta44, usb midiman 4X4, 6 gb mem, midiman multimixer 6,Korg X5, E-mu Mophatt
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 21:27:55 (permalink)
    Whew.....I thought I was bent!...

Great piece.....creepy fun and fantastic mix!

love the lil bells @ the end.....
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 23:20:35 (permalink)
    Robby

I totally stole this from you. But the good part is that if I had a dollar for every unusual "piece" I have had, er... I mean composed, I would be rich. Needless to say, I am rich.

Frank

Mad? Mad you say? ha ha he he eha ha ahaha.
    Thanks man

Shad

I finally read the rest of your thread and realized there was no music yet for the 4th. My bad. But the advice is excellent.

Bob

Usually when I see the term "interesting" in a reply to my music, it is a code word meaning I don't know if I like this or not and have no idea what to say. But when I listen to this piece the same word comes to my mind.
    Thanks

Doug

The Terps won today! I expected them to win today so it worked out well. Unfortunately, I think they will not win another one.

I look forward to Overreaction.

Rick

The hardest part about this piece was coming up with the way to get the "Mad" across.

Although there is a tonal center there in the beginning, I tried my best to hide it. The other way I did it was to use multiple time signatures as the piece progresses and even in different instruments at the same time. It was a difficult task. I am sure there are easier ways to convey madness, but this way seems to work.

Warren

I see you remember from your classical days the technical word for that instrument.

"Ringy things"

I usually call it a Glock and people duck because they don't want to get shot.

I gotta take a break so I will be back soon to reply to everyone else.

Thanks guys

Ron

alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/19 23:22:19 (permalink)
    the mix was impeccable , everything sounded fantastic , maybe i`ll get you to do my mixing for me from now on LOL

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/20 00:14:54 (permalink)
    Larry

I was very hesitant to say that this had anything to do with the Tea Party because I was afraid some wouldn't see it. And I have learned that the less said about a piece can be beneficial for the composer. Like a lot of us here, I compose tons of stuff, yet i don't know if any of them are completed yet. I get them to the point where they are Fine For Now (FFN) and move on. I am sure you understand the meaning of that. even if you don't uswe the same words.

Jim

The fear of a losing a muse will make the muse get lost. I prefer to think that my muse is off getting drunk from time to time and I had better be ready when she sobers up and returns.
    That's way I am always trying to compose even when what comes out doesn't work.

Daryl

That's the first time my music has been compared to Sorbet. In fact, that's the first time I have ever seen music compared to Sorbet. I like the analogy.
    BTW I don't dance!

Michael

I used to work in Sibelius and scored everything. There are some advantages to doing that, but I much prefer playing the notes into Sonar.

I have been to a performance of Three Places in New England by Charles Ives and have been to the Sculpture the piece is about in Boston Commons. Interesting comparison.

Tom

Madness is contagious, so be careful!

Alkie

I do mixes all of the time. I am reasonably priced as well. I will mix any piece at the rate of $100,000.00 a minute.

BtW That's not per minute of music, but per minute of my time spent mixing. I mix slow, so make sure you have plenty of cash. (I don't take checks and no credit cards please). But make sure you let me know soon because at those prices I keep myself pretty busy, (doing everything but mixing).

Thanks Guys

Ron
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/20 11:27:52 (permalink)
    The hardest part about this piece was coming up with the way to get the "Mad" across.

Although there is a tonal center there in the beginning, I tried my best to hide it. The other way I did it was to use multiple time signatures as the piece progresses and even in different instruments at the same time. It was a difficult task. I am sure there are easier ways to convey madness, but this way seems to work.

You've succeeded brilliantly. It's a coincidence but my last flop, i mean song, is also an attempt to convey musically a certain 'instability'.
    Next time i'll try multiple time changes simultaneously

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/20 23:46:17 (permalink)
    Rick

Depending on the style of music, instability can sometimes be put across just in the percussion. Itried that originally in this piece, but I was too rhythmic. But I have heard it done.

Thanks again

Ron
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/23 19:57:55 (permalink)
    Ron, I'm extremely late to this party, although I believe I heard it before anyway. Once again, very well done. I think you've more than adequately portrayed what you set out to portray here.
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/23 20:24:33 (permalink)
    That was soooo cool. It was like Disney if it had a dark side, and I mean that in a good way. The mix and the production of this piece is just FANTATSIC. It had a bit of a DANNY ELFMAN vibe. I really enjoyed everything about this piece, from the performance to the perfect title. KUDOS!

LATER
    Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2009/03/23 22:26:08

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

thalweg
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 571
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/23 22:05:06 (permalink)
    Ya...morbidly facinating feel is the only way to describe it. The sonics and mix seem really well balanced. The pitch movements remind me of sound tracks to psychedelia movies.

I wish I could get stuff this controlled out of Garriton...I just don't have the patience.

Cheers

My Music/Video Channel:

www.youtube.com/tonehook
    musiccontinuum
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 636
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/28 02:38:34 (permalink)
    Ron - I'm not sure how I missed this post...

Holy cow, how could I add anything after a comment like this?
    Ron, what the heck is this, besides some of the most bizarre music I've heard in a while ?
    You have sufficiently entangled my brain with some of the most esoteric melodies, yet seem to keep it all masterfully cohesive. You've also managed to grab the orchestra by a joy stick and had your way with their tuning knobs.... Like a whammy bar on a Stratocaster.... ( You Naughty Boy ... How do you score that ??? ) .. All of the instruments just sound wonderful and the mix is fantastic... You really have mastered this haven't you??? I wish I could just get started writing again.

...ditto

This reminds me of Wagner a bit. Very creative and masterfully arranged.

Jon

Platinum 2016 (latest patch)
    Windows 10 - x64
    Tascam US-2x2 or Focusrite Scarlett
    DELL Inspiron 3000 (I3847-3846BK) Intel i3-4130 3.40GHz / 8GB Memory / Windows 10 64-bit
    http://www.joncoble.com
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: The Mad Hatter 2009/03/28 19:58:35 (permalink)
    Ron, I think you're brilliant - you would have been a great addition to the Beatles.

Your stuff just knocks me out.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1