In praise of PSYN II

Author
lightninrick
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 972
2009/03/19 20:56:53 (permalink)

In praise of PSYN II

I worked yesterday on a short (30 seconds) electronica project, and I pulled out PSYN II for the first time in a long time. What do you know--it's a pretty cool, tweakable synth with a cool, edgy sound.

Who knew?

You can hear the piece (called "Throb") at http://taxi.com/rhunter. Scroll down until you see the piece, then click on the "play" button next to the title. PSYN II is the instrument for the high pad sound, the vibrato-laden bass, and the squelchy filtered synth parts.

Regards, lightninrick

Sonar X3 and 8.5.3 
Windows 7 64 bit
Digitech RP360XP/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Studio Cat Pro laptop i7
16 GB RAM

14 Replies Related Threads

mose
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: In praise of PSYN II 2009/03/19 21:45:13 (permalink)
    The period is part of the URL you typed, and I'm taken to Taxi's home page. Make sure there is a space on either side of the URL when you enter it, or you should use url tags in your message. Here is how the url tag should look.
    [url=http://taxi.com/rhunter]Throb[/url]

and it looks like this Throb. Note that the period is not part of the url, now.

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: In praise of PSYN II 2009/03/20 00:53:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lightninrick
    I worked yesterday on a short (30 seconds) electronica project, and I pulled out PSYN II for the first time in a long time. What do you know--it's a pretty cool, tweakable synth with a cool, edgy sound.
    Who knew?

You know, in an era of super-synths, it's often easy to forget ones that many consider old-hat, or that have a feature deficit.
    And I've done it too.

But recently, I've been going through my collection of instruments (which is much larger than it should be), and I've come to find that there are a few that really stand out, despite (or maybe because of) their simplicity:
    PSYN II
    Triangle II
    V-Station
    Pretty much all of the base synths of Logic Pro (ES-M, ES-P, ES-E, ES-1, EFM-1)
    Pro-53

Your post has definitely inspired me.

I think this weekend I'll make a few tracks of nothing but the "simpler" synths, and get them going full on.
    I've gotten spoiled, which is another way of saying, I've gotten lazy. Rapture, Massive, Stylus, Absynth, Sylenth, FM-8 (though this one would take prying out of my cold-dead-hands... I love it... Sylenth too), and even Pentagon to some degree... so many complex presets that you can spend months letting the synths write songs for you.
    Fun, but not quite the same, is it?

Thanks for the post.
    I'm on it.

- zevo

(ps - liked the groove from the little track... you should definitely take it past the "intro" phase... I was ready to get grooving, and then it stopped... more to come? if not, can I remix it? seriously, I had an idea going on)
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/03/20 01:00:55
    surfdog
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: In praise of PSYN II 2009/03/20 01:57:29 (permalink)
    Lightninrick -
    I enjoyed your "in the thick" tune. That sounded like some upgraded '80's flavored synth based music. I enjoy the use of synths to beef up some aspect of a song, whether rythmn, background or leads.

Sonar 8 Studio, HS6XL, HS4XL ,WinXP ,AMD 2800+ , 1.5 Gig ram, 120/80 g HD's, Emu0404 soundcrd. Yam Psr530,Drum Tools, Fender Strat, Carvin DC135,Ibenez Bass,Concertina,Dr5 drum machine, VS880ex recorder, and dreams of more....
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    RE: In praise of PSYN II 2009/03/20 15:40:04 (permalink)
    quote]FM-8 (though this one would take prying out of my cold-dead-hands... I love it... )

I've been thinking I'd like to eventually pick up a copy of FM-8 as well. Do you find it works flawlessly with Sonar (I'm on 8.2 at the moment). Also, what kind of copy protection does it have? Thanks for any advice.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: In praise of PSYN II 2009/03/20 17:32:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dmbaer
    FM-8 (though this one would take prying out of my cold-dead-hands... I love it... )

I've been thinking I'd like to eventually pick up a copy of FM-8 as well. Do you find it works flawlessly with Sonar (I'm on 8.2 at the moment). Also, what kind of copy protection does it have? Thanks for any advice.

It works fine with 7.0.2... I'm not on 8.
    I also use it in Ableton Live and Logic Pro on the Mac side... also fine.
    As for copy protection, it uses activation, which I found quick and painless. It uses the Service Center app, which I actually quite like... it's a simple way to organize your activations in one place, and get updates, etc.

I got it with Komplete Synths, which was Absynth, Massive, FM-8 and Pro-53. Paid $400 for it... $100 per synth, which is pretty good. But I've actually seen the local guitar center list it occasionally for $299, which is stellar.

Good luck,
    - zevo
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re:In praise of PSYN II 2009/10/06 23:26:02 (permalink)
    lightninrick

Who knew?

You can hear the piece (called "Throb") at http://taxi.com/rhunter. Scroll down until you see the piece, then click on the "play" button next to the title. PSYN II is the instrument for the high pad sound, the vibrato-laden bass, and the squelchy filtered synth parts.

Regards, lightninrick

After all this time, I took this the PSYN for a test recording yesterday and will begin to use it more and more... I wish the interface was larger, I wouldn't mind if these synths took up most of the screen. But the sounds are very nice. I feel like I found some lost money... 

Dave
    Songs

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: In praise of PSYN II 2009/10/07 09:51:19 (permalink)
    dmbaer

quote]FM-8 (though this one would take prying out of my cold-dead-hands... I love it... )

works fine with 8.3 etc.. it uses NI service centre.. allows you 2 activations , the only issue I have with that is I have a dual boot pc + a laptop , and I would like / but can't to activate it on all 3 boots.. and only can on my desktop and laptop.

it'll import DX7 patches and TX but dunno what TX is , I'll have to look into that.

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: In praise of PSYN II 2009/10/07 10:31:21 (permalink)
    Fog,

TX is Texas ... er, the 4 operator version of yama's FM synthesis.  Most of them were rack mount units, I believe, including the TX 802 or something like that w/ 8 separate modules (they were mono-tembral).  I had one built into in my Yamaha computer, CM5, which was my first computer back in the 80s.

Fruity Loops (AKA Imagine-Line) makes two nice FM synths - sytrus and Max Claster's Toxic Biohazard.  Biohazard is cheap.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: In praise of PSYN II 2009/10/09 08:27:19 (permalink)
    Do you find it works flawlessly with Sonar (I'm on 8.2 at the moment). Also, what kind of copy protection does it have? Thanks for any advice.
    FM8 is not bug free, but it works pretty well with 8.5.1 and IIRC I had no problems under 8.3.1 either.  Like all recent NI soft synths, it is authorised initially via their Service Centre app.  My DAW has internet access, so it all happens with no obvious fuss.  IIRC there are alternative facilities for those who like their DAWs to live in splendid isolation.
    chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re:In praise of PSYN II 2009/10/09 08:54:27 (permalink)
    lightninrick

Who knew?

Regards, lightninrick

Did you catch any of the PSYN tutorials from b rock on the P5 forums?  He wrote enough to make a book:

PSYN-tology 1 [Echoes]

PSYN-tology 2 [...--.---..-]

PSYN-tology 3 [Reso Sweep]

PSYN-tology 4 [Welcome to PSYN]

PSYN-tology 5 [Portamento Pad]

PSYN-tology 6 [LFO Explained]

and many many MORE
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:In praise of PSYN II 2009/10/11 20:50:00 (permalink)
    And if anyone would like a copy of all the PSYN-tology tutorials in a single electronic PDF book form:  http://www.technetos.com/...oject5/PSYN-tology.pdf
    chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re:In praise of PSYN II 2009/10/11 21:44:17 (permalink)
    Awesome Bob!

I didn't know that doc existed.  Saves me some time.  =)

- C
    Synthtweaker
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:In praise of PSYN II 2009/11/02 17:40:32 (permalink)
    Indeed! An excellent heads-up there on the PDF - now for some experimentation..... 
    digitalboy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re:In praise of PSYN II 2009/11/06 23:40:14 (permalink)
    Maybe Rene and the Cakewalk team can ressurect PSYN as a VSTi ?  That's a great soft synth and it needs to be focused on again...ajw

Sorry - I don't use Autotune :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1