Allocation of Processor Resources

Author
philmagnotta
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
2009/03/20 16:45:13 (permalink)

Allocation of Processor Resources

Dear Forum:

I see that some or actually most references to Processor scheduling recommend that background services, as opposed to programs is the preferred choice.
Can you give me some information on this please?

philmagnotta
SONAR PE 8.3.1
VISTA x64 SP2 
CPU: i7 920
MOTU 828 mkIII
6 Gig Corsair DDR-3 1600, CL= 8-8-8-24
Graphics: NVIDIA 9500 GT faneless 
HD: 3x Seagate SATA II 500 GB 7200 rpm 32 meg
D/A: Benchmark DAC1
Amp: NAD
Monitors: Von Schweikert VR2

7 Replies Related Threads

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Allocation of Processor Resources 2009/03/20 17:39:03 (permalink)
    I can only give you two pieces of information:
    1. I've never noticed an actual difference between the two, though historically I chose background because that was the conventional recommendation.
    2. Noel, from Cake, posted a few months ago (or maybe longer) that there might actually be negative consequences to setting it to background. Like I said, I've never noticed one way or another, but... I generally trust Noel, so I'd highly recommend searching through his posts for the thread where he said that (I'm at work, or I'd do it for you).

My take on it now is to just leave it alone. I'm wondering if this is one of those "old" recommendations that made sense at the time, but times changed. In fact, as machines have gotten faster and memory has gotten cheaper, quite a few of the "tweaks" will give you little to nothing, whereas 6 years ago you might get a noticeable performance boost... .01% increase now, 5% increase (or more) 6 years ago when a lot of the XP tweaks came around.

- zevo
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Allocation of Processor Resources 2009/03/20 17:44:15 (permalink)
    ASIO drivers prefer background resource prioritization on some machines. Low latency recording can usually be best achieved with ASIO drivers rather than MME or WDM/KS in most cases.

As an example my project studio DAW running Vista 64 prefers being set to background process prioritization for optimum performance with ASIO drivers. My Laptop on the other hand which is an HP off the shelf with Vista 32, runs better when recording if the programs are prioritized.

My previous mobile platform was an XP based machine and required Background process prioritization to be able to record without motorboating or dropouts.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Allocation of Processor Resources 2009/03/22 14:36:54 (permalink)
    Hi Phil,

Your DAW was configured properly... :)
    Noel himself has mentioned that you want to leave processor scheduling set to Programs (not Background services).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    philmagnotta
    RE: Allocation of Processor Resources 2009/03/22 19:27:58 (permalink)
    Hi Jim:

I am learning a lot of things since I starting using the DAW and as is ususal with my nature, I wish to understand as much as possible.
    Jim, since I started using 8.3.1, I've had only one sonar or vista crash when using sonitus eq.
    It happened so fast, that I'm not sure what happened exactly because I've used that plug-in a lot with no issue.
    I was trying to save an edited eq, but nothing happened, then I clicked again -maybe a couple of times tooooo fast then the whole computer just frooze, so I hit CTRL/ALT/del to unfreeze the computer.
    that sort of thing I remember happening a lot with vista in general even on my vista office machines, so who knows?

Also, the post is regarding other daw packages as well, as I have some friends who are just setting up vistax64 using cubase, Reason (as a stand-alone) and others.
    When they remarked about thier experience setting-up daws/audio apps to "background" using XP, I already knew my setup is set to "programs" and they argued with me about the need to check for sure about that.
    I want to know if this is a definate required setting with vista regarding all daw and audio software or just sonar, especially out of regard for the two responants above, who would be better served if this is the case.
    Comments please?

Thanks for responding, I hope all is well with you.
    post edited by philmagnotta - 2009/03/22 20:00:27

philmagnotta
    SONAR PE 8.3.1
    VISTA x64 SP2 
    MOTU 828 mkIII
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Allocation of Processor Resources 2009/03/23 10:21:31 (permalink)
    I want to know if this is a definate required setting with vista regarding all daw and audio software or just sonar, especially out of regard for the two responants above, who would be better served if this is the case.
    Comments please?

Thanks for responding, I hope all is well with you.

Hi Phil,

FWIW, It's easy to put your mind at rest about this one.
    Try both settings... (it's easy to change back)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: Allocation of Processor Resources 2009/03/23 18:39:23 (permalink)
    Hi all,

I agree with Jim that trying out both options is probably a good idea. However, if I ever found that background services resulted in better performance, I would probably look further into the situation.

The reason for this, based on my experience with many O/S's other than Windows, is that normally background process, batch jobs, etc. are initially assigned significantly lower priority than foreground tasks --- things that you sit and wait to finish. If something finishes when assigned as a background process faster than it does when assigned as a foreground task based on another process's priority, I would conclude that the foreground process's priority was lowered by the O/S for some reason, and this suggests that some problem is occurring that is lowering the performance of the foreground process. That's not good....

On the other hand, Microsoft has done some screwy things, and so have applications developers, so there is really no telling what the problem is. I would just suggest looking into it a little bit to ensure that SONAR or other DAW wasn't running at some lowered priority such as repeatedly trying to access something that wasn't there and so on. Just something to think about if you see this situation.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

philmagnotta
    RE: Allocation of Processor Resources 2009/03/23 23:47:14 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone fro your reply:

I agree that running in both settings will cause no harm and I could conduct some tests to see what might happen.
    If Noel says...programs, then I must assume he has alot more understanding than I do, on the other hand, it wouldn't be the 1st time that an aknowledged authority arrived at his understanding with a less than difinative understanding of the process.
    That is why I always, if possible question any industry leader not because I think he is mistaken, but because Noel, after all, also sought out the matter.
    post edited by philmagnotta - 2009/03/23 23:54:36

philmagnotta
    SONAR PE 8.3.1
    VISTA x64 SP2 
    MOTU 828 mkIII