New guitar!

Author
OffAnAirplane
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1386
2009/03/23 13:28:07 (permalink)

New guitar!

Well, maybe I am easily impressed or maybe you can just get better stuff for your money nowadays. I don't know, but I am super-impressed with my new Ibanez RG3EXFM1.

I've been playing the same Ibanez RG320DX I bought about 12 years ago for about, well 12 years. And I love everything about that guitar, except the Floyd-Rose Tremolo (or Ibanez's version of a Floyd-Rose.) I've never really needed to use the tremolo with the style I play. Any bends I need to do can be done the old fashioned way. And Dive-Bombs went out with the hair-bands IMO. I play my guitar in church every week, and various other amateur (and I mean amateur) venues, and every time I get ready to tune the thing I have to deal with the locking-nut, which is a huge pain. So I decided it was time for a new guitar and one with a fixed bridge. I loved everything about my old RG, so I decided to get another. I didn't think Ibanez even made an RG without a tremolo. But it turns out they did.

I only paid $350 for this thing, and I love everything about it, from the looks, to the to feel to the sound, to the value. I can't believe the quality for such a cheap guitar. Once again I am impressed by Ibanez, and I'm sure 12 years from now if they are still around I'll buy another.

By the way, here is my old one. Not bad after 12 years of use.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

12 Replies Related Threads

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/23 13:45:27 (permalink)
    If you like Ibanez, that looks perfect!
    I hated the Floyd Roses, so I never wanted an Ibanez. And the rare time I borrowed a friends', the neck seemed so thin I was scared to break it (even though I know i wouldn't).

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/23 14:35:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Slugbaby

If you like Ibanez, that looks perfect!
    I hated the Floyd Roses, so I never wanted an Ibanez. And the rare time I borrowed a friends', the neck seemed so thin I was scared to break it (even though I know i wouldn't).

Thanks.
    And yeah, the Ibanez necks are pretty thin. But that is what I learned on, so I am comfortable with it.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/23 16:36:25 (permalink)
    Wow, that is brand loyalty. 99.99% of guitarists I know, IF they go twelve years between new guitars (which is rare, in my observation), almost wil always go with something different - just to have "something different". I know that your new axe has a different finish and no whammy bar, but beyond that, they're pretty similar! Definitely enjoy your new axe. (I almost bought one of the RG series myself a few years back; ended up picking up a used Yamaha that fit the bill instead.)

Best,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/23 16:48:01 (permalink)
    Looks nice man! I like the fixed bridge... Ibanez's are a great value.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/23 16:51:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ed97643

Wow, that is brand loyalty. 99.99% of guitarists I know, IF they go twelve years between new guitars (which is rare, in my observation), almost wil always go with something different - just to have "something different". I know that your new axe has a different finish and no whammy bar, but beyond that, they're pretty similar! Definitely enjoy your new axe. (I almost bought one of the RG series myself a few years back; ended up picking up a used Yamaha that fit the bill instead.)

Best,
    Ed

Well, I've had probably 5 or 6 guitars in the last 12 years, but the RG has always been my main guitar. I've had a few acoustics, which I rarely played, and a one other electric (Line6 Variax 700).

And right now I'm down to my RG and a Taylor (Big Baby) acoustic.
    And to be honest, if it weren't for the Tremolo getting on my nerves, I would probably have just kept on playing my old RG. It had upgraded Dimarzio pickups in it, and I rewired the whole thing and replaced the volume and tone pots and 5-way switch about a year ago. I was kinda debating on whether to pull the pickups out and put them in the new RG, but it sounds really good as is, and it's pickups are cooler looking to boot. lol (crap I used lol, lol)

The only other electric guitars I've ever really been impressed with were way out of my price range. I really like Parkers for example. But it's not like I'm settling for the RG, because I really do like it a lot.

I've gone back and forth on replacing this RG for years, when I'd have extra money after a tax refund or whatever, and I just never could justify it. But I really loved this new RG enough to justify it.

Most of my other guitars were purchased pre-marriage and pre-baby. So that explains why I am more frugal now. lol
    post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/23 17:01:24

ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/23 19:05:32 (permalink)
    "Most of my other guitars were purchased pre-marriage and pre-baby. So that explains why I am more frugal now. lol"

OH, you need to learn the ancient art of guitar player "emergency pawn shop special secret $$ stash keeping" - not trying to lead you to the dark side, but, a special guitar is a special guitar..... : )

What she don't know won't hurt your relationship. My approach was always "have a million guitars around"; then, when some new cast member showed up, it'd be "OH, I've had this one for YEARS!" : )

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/23 19:15:23 (permalink)
    What she don't know won't hurt your relationship.

To each his own.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/23 19:30:40 (permalink)
    99.99% of guitarists I know, IF they go twelve years between new guitars (which is rare, in my observation)

I bought my Gibson SG in 72, and then bought a Gibson "The Paul" in 81..sold it 3 years later kept the SG.... I haven't bought another guitar since.... not that I didn't want to.... just never did.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/24 06:48:34 (permalink)
    Personally I have always found the lower priced Ibanez's to be badly made but congrats for finding a good one.

If I was to buy a guitar like that I would plump for a caparison

http://www.caparisonguitarcompany.com/

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/24 10:50:16 (permalink)
    I'm curious: is it made in Korea? That is not to disparage your new guitar; I've been looking at Corts and Samicks lately, as they make many of the low end models for Ibanez et. al. I'm only a seeker of knowledge and truth! And, after building a few, I'm a lot less impressed by brand names than I used to be. I may get my new Ibanez from Korea.............

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/24 10:52:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ed97643

"Most of my other guitars were purchased pre-marriage and pre-baby. So that explains why I am more frugal now. lol"

OH, you need to learn the ancient art of guitar player "emergency pawn shop special secret $$ stash keeping" - not trying to lead you to the dark side, but, a special guitar is a special guitar..... : )

What she don't know won't hurt your relationship. My approach was always "have a million guitars around"; then, when some new cast member showed up, it'd be "OH, I've had this one for YEARS!" : )

I wouldn't do that. But even if I did, she would know. She has an extremely vivid memory. Even though she doesn't give a crap about guitars in general, she would know if I had a new one. And I'm the type that has to show it off and brag about it anyway, so I couldn't do that if she didn't know about it, and that would drive me nuts.

She really has no problem with me buying toys if we can afford it. I just haven't seen the need for a new guitar in a while, and when I did I got this one. And she was fine with me spending about $650 because I was planning on buying either a Schecter C-1+ or an Ibanez SZ model, both of which cost about that much. But I liked this cheaper one better.

Even though guitars are not her thing, she was very excited for me that I got a new one.
    I wouldn't want to miss out on that by going behind her back.
    post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/24 10:58:16

OffAnAirplane
    RE: New guitar! 2009/03/24 10:55:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

I'm curious: is it made in Korea? That is not to disparage your new guitar; I've been looking at Corts and Samicks lately, as they make many of the low end models for Ibanez et. al. I'm only a seeker of knowledge and truth! And, after building a few, I'm a lot less impressed by brand names than I used to be. I may get my new Ibanez from Korea.............

My old RG was made in Korea, but I don't think the make them there anymore. I forget where the new one is from. Maybe Indonesia? I've heard that the Korean ones were better than the new ones, and that the rare Japanese ones are better than all of them. But I've got no complaints about my new one, no matter where it is from.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1