The proliferation of TV

Author
artsoul
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1985
2009/03/24 07:02:15 (permalink)

The proliferation of TV

I was reading a thread about videos and it got me thinking about the Images that we are constantly subjected to.

In resteraunts, bars, banks, shops

Why would i want to go for a meal and have TV next to me broadcasting s**t? why do they think I can't got for a drink with a friend and amn't capable of haveing a conversation? (I am not counting those bars that show big sports events thats different I just choose to avoid them), in most places they have multiple TV's all with the sound off while they play music , in my local bank they have put up 2 huge TV's behind the tellers, one shop I went into had a tiny LCD tv built into the till. I watch TV but I choose what I want to watch and plan it (I have a hard disk TV recorder thing), I don't want to see images blaring at me everywhere I go. I find it insulting almost like its assumed that I don't have the capability to think (though I'm sure this is the idea)

Rant over

22 Replies Related Threads

artsoul
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 07:06:37 (permalink)
    I was doing Jury service recently and the court reception had TV's on the wall, is this eyecandy for our (increasingly) stupid populace?

While I am at it

I bought a DVD recently and got so p***ed off that I can't forward through the choclate bar ads and most annoyingly the ads chastising me for copying films (I don't and never have and object to sitting through these on a DVD I bought)
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 07:36:31 (permalink)
    well places use them as notice boards sometimes...e.g. airports being the main one.

or to distract you from queueing in the bank etc.

that thing with the adverts on dvd's , well they used to be on a lot of rentals I'd hire. they subsidised the film.. was it an ex rental? it's either that or the film is sponsored by the maker.. like bond has been for certain watchs / phones / laptops.

the trick with films is pop them in the player.. hit play.. go make a cuppa, by the time your back it's on the menu hopefully.
    artsoul
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 07:40:21 (permalink)
    Nope it was a straight retail copy, what annoyed me was that I could forward through the ads for other films (which at least seems appropriate on a dvd) but not through the chocolate bar adverts (which just made me make the decision to never buy those chocolate bars) or the Pirating warnings)

I do understand the need for screens at airports, train stations etc. but not for random TV channels to be broadcasting to me, I will choose what I want to watch and when i want to watch it
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 08:06:09 (permalink)
    There are frequent days when I help with the production of a sports news package all day long (or several days) and then in the evening we'll be at some corporate sit down restaurant chain... and our story will pop up on display from TVs hanging from the ceiling in every corner of the room.

That part is kinda fun.

But, it's kinda eerie knowing the stuff was made locally... sent halfway across the country and then regurgitated out for public distro to the world at large all wrapped up in the fanciest motion graphics... while we anonymously witness how few people are paying attention.

We need more noise.... more noise..... more noise......

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 10:17:57 (permalink)
    For me, its not tv, its the proliferation of ads everywhere... and I mean everywhere. Gaaaa! TV's (or monitors) seem to be useful for that and they are now in places that do not even really make sense.

I find it odd that I pay 40 bucks for a T-shirt that says somebody's brand name on it... and 5 bucks for the same T plain. I get to pay to advertise.

There is something just warped about species that accepts that. Its like as a people we are but small children. We should be paying less for unleaded gas, we should be paying less for clothes with brand names splashed on them, we should be paying less for products labeled organic (I mean come on, I pay triple because it grew locally all by itself in soil??? - not that I believe anything is "organic" anymore... its just another way to pilfer money out of my pocket) we should not have to have ads in DVD's we have purchased.

And what is with these software or content licensing schemes anyway? I am sorry, when I pay money, I frickin own it, and I will do what I want with it, just like anything else I frickin own - throw me in jail, sue me, but I will continue to believe that till the day I die (that does not mean I can give a copy away to other people, but I should be able to use it on any computer or device I own, period - its like telling me that I can only play a record on one... and only one record player... ridiculous).

So that rant was to support this idea... content owners are going after people who put in TV's and radios to collect licensing fees, especially if the TV, radio, or mp3 player (I almost used the nasty "i" word, but I refuse to advertise) is in a commercial venue like a store, bar, waiting room, as they claim their content "adds value" to a business at their expense... even though that same content was bought and payed for with the ads I am being bombarded with. The only way I can escape them is to plug in to my mp3 player and read a book which is about as anti-social a behavior as one can get.

Why do we as a species accept this?

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 11:34:00 (permalink)
    I agree TVs are showing up in all sorts of inappropriate places, but I had an interesting experience in an airport the other day. Over my head where I couldn't see it was a TV tuned to some cable news station. They were blathering on and on about the AIG bailout. Across the aisle from me was a TV showing an episode of Scooby Doo with the sound off. For a few brief moments, the two seemed to sync up so Shaggy and some other character appeared to be discussing the bailout. Surreal.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 11:59:41 (permalink)
    I was eating in a fancy restaurant the other day and there was an LCD screen over the urinal in the men's bathroom, showing the news. Each urinal had it's own little screen.
    Like I can't take a leak without watching TV? Now if they had shown a flowing waterfall or something like that might've been useful. lol

post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/24 12:00:19

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    foxwolfen
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 12:17:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: OffAnAirplane

I was eating in a fancy restaurant the other day and there was an LCD screen over the urinal in the men's bathroom, showing the news. Each urinal had it's own little screen.
    Like I can't take a leak without watching TV? Now if they had shown a flowing waterfall or something like that might've been useful. lol

LOL

Oops.. I mean

I am laughing at your funny post. There is a big smile on my face and I actually made a sound when I laughed. I am a lone so nobody heard it, so did it really make a sound? My eyes are now wide open in mock horror at the philosophical question just posed, and now I am winking to show that I really am only just joking around, hoping that is not too self indulgent.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 13:20:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

ORIGINAL: OffAnAirplane

LOL

Oops.. I mean

I am laughing at your funny post. There is a big smile on my face and I actually made a sound when I laughed. I am a lone so nobody heard it, so did it really make a sound? My eyes are now wide open in mock horror at the philosophical question just posed, and now I am winking to show that I really am only just joking around, hoping that is not too self indulgent.

Lol

I'm not laughing outloud, I'm only abusing the acronym. lol

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 13:57:27 (permalink)
    You know the latest generation of plasma and lcd tvs are able to watch you when they are combined with a cable set, right? So far it is limited to cable, as the technology to uplink from an existing home dish is not there YET. But the reason you see so many TVs everywhere is that they are connected to the cable networks and are watching everything you do. Most people are so naive about this. They are watching you. While you sleep,. While you go to the loo. In the kitchen. At work. They are everywhere.

That is why I refuse to get cable and will only rely on dish connections. I also only drink grain alcohol and grain water - 4 oz of each. If you must have ice, make sure and use ice made from rain water. Also, never leave your drink where someone can get to it. The fluoridation of the water is designed to rob man of his purity of essence. Red Bas$#$ds.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 14:05:29 (permalink)
    You have a choice. I made mine and these issues mentioned are not in my life. I have found that most things that bother me I can exclude.

Not mentioned to ruffle feathers.

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 14:22:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: space_cowboy
    You know the latest generation of plasma and lcd tvs are able to watch you when they are combined with a cable set, right? So far it is limited to cable, as the technology to uplink from an existing home dish is not there YET. But the reason you see so many TVs everywhere is that they are connected to the cable networks and are watching everything you do. Most people are so naive about this. They are watching you. While you sleep,. While you go to the loo. In the kitchen. At work. They are everywhere.
    That is why I refuse to get cable and will only rely on dish connections. I also only drink grain alcohol and grain water - 4 oz of each. If you must have ice, make sure and use ice made from rain water. Also, never leave your drink where someone can get to it. The fluoridation of the water is designed to rob man of his purity of essence. Red Bas$#$ds.

Hehehe.
    Not too far off.

Like how many of the new phones (and supposedly nearly all phones within the next couple of years) have GPS.
    People are lining up to buy personal tracking devices so they can find the closest of the 6 starbucks within 3 blocks (here, anyway).
    Naive, IMHO, but whatever people want.

Always hated built-in computer cameras too. I never use them, but they're there. I can even turn someone's on remotely if they have a Mac... if I were so inclined.

That's the crux about 1984-type stuff. We assume it's going to be forced on us. But it's not... we're volunteering.
    Clueless.

- zevo
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 14:24:58 (permalink)
    You need to buy one of these....

TV B GONE

They are so cool. I have several. They're really fun in airports, bars, doctor's offices, resturants, and what a hoot at the Walmart TV wall... or Best buy....

Just point.... click.... and watch the TV's turn off. They work on hundreds of brands of TV's... you gotta get one if you are concerned about the blaring of TV's everywhere you go.

youtube vids>>>>

the CES show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICpM3ItIhI0

some people get mad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWf8Xfy4Qpw

high power long range test http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdKbSYMhugU

Get one.... join us.

BTW: use at your own risk in a sports bar with drunks.... just 5 seconds before the final point...Oh not a doubt in my mind it would be funny as all get out.....but, for obvious reasons, getting caught would be dangerous... not illegal, but highly dangerous.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/24 14:34:03

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 14:36:09 (permalink)
    Always hated built-in computer cameras too. I never use them, but they're there. I can even turn someone's on remotely if they have a Mac... if I were so inclined.

People would be shocked if they knew how easy that is for some people, yes. Not only on a Mac.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 14:50:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

People would be shocked if they knew how easy that is for some people, yes. Not only on a Mac.

I would hope people would have better things to do than watch me while I'm chatting on here. Talk about boring TV.

space_cowboy
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 14:51:51 (permalink)

post edited by space_cowboy - 2009/03/24 15:01:01

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 14:52:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: inmazevo

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Hehehe.
    Not too far off.

Like how many of the new phones (and supposedly nearly all phones within the next couple of years) have GPS.
    People are lining up to buy personal tracking devices so they can find the closest of the 6 starbucks within 3 blocks (here, anyway).
    Naive, IMHO, but whatever people want.

That's the crux about 1984-type stuff. We assume it's going to be forced on us. But it's not... we're volunteering.
    Clueless.

- zevo

If I'm ever on the run from the police or government or any other agency with the ability to hack my phone to tell them precisely where I am at any given moment, I think the first thing I would do is smash my phone, or at least leave it somewhere like on a train or bus.

Now when they start implanting them in our bodies, that's when it gets more difficult.

foxwolfen
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 15:07:15 (permalink)
    All this talk of Macs makes me want to go to MacDonald's.

I must be hungry

Composers Forum
    space_cowboy
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 15:11:43 (permalink)
    Unlike talking about PCs and wanting to go to Arby's.

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 16:51:54 (permalink)
    I definitely remember the first time I saw monitors over urinals. Something about that just seems... odd. At least, in a public setting.

One of the strangest uses for bathroom TVs is @ a sports arena. They popped up a couple of years ago @ the local baseball park, and man... please... seriously... please... don't make half of the 140 people in front of me go SLOW in the 8th inning of a game @ which I've been drinking heavily. That really is wrong, and (occasionally) painful.

I was at the appliance store a few weeks ago looking into a new refrigerator... and several of them had flat screen TVs on them. Now, I understand wanting to have something on while cooking lots of food for a big crowd or something, but... how many of us have kitchens where the fridge placement sits across from the prep area? I don't. But there's clearly a market.

But, you know... here in the states we're kind of behind where this is concerned.
    When I'm in Tokyo, THEN I really understand. Video screens on the train... on the stairs going to the train... on every corner. In fact, it sort of reaches overload: after a few weeks, I don't watch any of them... it just becomes noise in the background. I don't read the ads plastered on the staircases going to the trains either... in fact, I'm not sure how you can, since there are like 1500 people sprinting to or from this or that train toward or away from you... how's that work, anyway?

Sometimes information overload isn't so bad. Again, with Tokyo, you never have to BUY tissue paper. You'll get handed dozens of packs every day... free. Those, I might actually read, and I particularly like it when the guy (or girl, preferably) passing them out realizes what a crap job it is and gets creative with their (usually ignored) position. Very entertaining.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/03/24 17:02:08
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/24 17:41:17 (permalink)

One of the strangest uses for bathroom TVs is @ a sports arena. They popped up a couple of years ago @ the local baseball park, and man... please... seriously... please... don't make half of the 140 people in front of me go SLOW in the 8th inning of a game @ which I've been drinking heavily. That really is wrong, and (occasionally) painful.

Escalators were originally intended to speed things up, on the assumption people would *walk* on them up or down the stairs. Nope, they come to a grinding halt and go admire the view, while being regally transported - in fact, slowing everything down.

Progress.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: The proliferation of TV 2009/03/26 06:30:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: henkejs

I agree TVs are showing up in all sorts of inappropriate places, but I had an interesting experience in an airport the other day. Over my head where I couldn't see it was a TV tuned to some cable news station. They were blathering on and on about the AIG bailout. Across the aisle from me was a TV showing an episode of Scooby Doo with the sound off. For a few brief moments, the two seemed to sync up so Shaggy and some other character appeared to be discussing the bailout. Surreal.

Thats the sort of thing that makes my day...

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1