Author
cataloguemusic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
2009/03/24 11:06:04 (permalink)

OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII

Who f****g said I should huh ??? LOL

Only kidding !!!

Well, it's a USB 2.0 connection and it's in. I uninstalled my Sound Blaster Audigy and removed the card, but I need to order some new audio cables (using crappy Behringer Monitors) so right now I am just using the Phones socket to monitor.

FIRST PROBLEM - NO SOUND!!

Tried plugging in my guitar into Mic/Guitar 1 - no sound.

Opened Guitar Rig, Audio Setup, Cakewalk ... messed around with Audio Settings (input - Mic/Guitar output - phones) nothing!!

I notice on Guitar Rig there is a couple of soundcard options DirectSound or Multimedia. One of them brought my system to a halt, cant remember what.

I opened iTunes also and no sound. Plug speakers into PC Sound Card and sound appeared.

Opened a mix in Cakewalk and it played OK, no issues.

A little confused what is going on, can anyone help ???

Paul Logue
EDEN'S CURSE
http://www.edenscurse.com/
http://www.facebook.dj/edenscurse

Sonar X1 Producer Version 
i7-2600, Win 7 64 Bit, 16G RAM, 2TB HD
Cakewalk UA-25 EX

20 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/24 11:13:24 (permalink)
    Well.. the first problem is you are using the MOTU as your Windows sound device. Not really a good idea. I would suggest you let the built in sound card do that job and make sure Windows is set to use only that card. Programs like iTunes will use the default Windows sound card and is Windows or some web application tries to make a sound they will also. No telling what sample rate that stuff might be so you don't want that going to the MOTU.

Second, the MOTU should have monitor mix software that comes with it. You should be able to test all inputs with that. Make sure the input is routed to an output and that also goes to the phones and the volume is up on the phones output. You don't even need any other software running at the time just use the MOTU built in digital mixer to check everything out.

Then make sure Sonar is set to use the MOTU (only) for both in and out. Arm an audio track and select an input from the MOTU driver and enable input monitoring or just record some and make sure that works. Again, you have to use the MOTU mixer first to route the audio and make sure the level is set, that mixer is not part of Sonar but it controls what Sonar gets.

Also, if you want to use just one set of speakers run a line from the output of your built in sound card to an input pair on the MOTU and get the gain stages set just right. From then on you can use the MOTU mixer to control eveything. Any program that uses the Windows sound card like iTunes will come through that input on the MOTU.
    post edited by ohhey - 2009/03/24 11:16:06
    cataloguemusic
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/24 11:22:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Frank

Yep, I was kinda thinking that was part of the problem (with the soundcard).

I'll look into the other stuff.
    WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/24 11:27:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey

Well.. the first problem is you are using the MOTU as your Windows sound device. Not really a good idea. I would suggest you let the built in sound card do that job and make sure Windows is set to use only that card. Programs like iTunes will use the default Windows sound card and is Windows or some web application tries to make a sound they will also. No telling what sample rate that stuff might be so you don't want that going to the MOTU.

I couldn't agree more. Just my 2 cents. I know a lot of people talk about disabling on onboard sound cards in the bios and such, but I personally think you want to point Windows to a generic sound card designed for general computer use and only use your specialized audio card for it's intended purpose for programs such as Sonar. I could be wrong about this, but I've never had a problem configuring my DAWs this way. As long as you use ASIO driver mode for your audio programs they should not even see the other sound card. I can use windows media player, play videos over the internet, etc while running Sonar projects without any conflict. Honestly, doing so has not crashed my computer. Of course I would never do this in the studio, but what ever.

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    WDI
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/24 11:36:09 (permalink)
    Also you mentioned Guitar Rig. I'm not really familiar with Guitar Rig. Does that act as a sound card? It so, I'd probably look for a way to route Guitar Rig through the Motu and only use the Motu as your only sound card for Sonar.
    post edited by WDI - 2009/03/24 11:39:51

Sonar 7 PE
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Chuck E. Jesus
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 311
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/24 12:19:38 (permalink)
    i use an Emu 1820 interface with their Patchmix app...Windows sound come up on one of Patchmix's mixer channels, no probs whatsoever, makes life easier and i can route and record audio from web radio with ease (for example)...i assumed MOTU had a similar mixer to Patchmix, not sure why there would be any issues....
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/24 12:31:17 (permalink)
    I wouldn't even have bothered to remove the Soundblaster.

Naturally I love your band's name.

Phil

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/24 14:38:33 (permalink)
    but I personally think you want to point Windows to a generic sound card designed for general computer use and only use your specialized audio card for it's intended purpose for programs such as Sonar. I could be wrong about this,

Nope, you're not wrong about this. This is my preferred way to set up and it's saved me lots of headaches. Specifically, we do a lot of soundtracks to Quicktime videos. Quicktime likes to hog the Windows default sound device, so having the onboard sound enabled lets Windows, Quicktime, and whatever else use that however they want. I give Sonar the MOTU device and everyone's happy.

On the few machines we have without onboard sound, there were enough sound device sharing issues that I ended up getting a cheapo soundcard to put in just for Win/QT to have.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/24 18:40:03 (permalink)
    Yay! A bunch of guys that know what they're talking about instead of the usual "You want to get the SB card (onboard sound) outta there pronto 'cause its not a pro card yadyada."

I've always worked on Frank's preferred method and used the onboard or SB card as a decoy so your DAW can get on with the serious Sound card. Saves more headaches that people know.

To the OP: MOTU uses a proram called Cuemix which is your software mixer where you can set all your routing. It should have installed along with your MOTU drivers. You don't need to run SONAR to check this out. Once you have checked it out then start SONAR and test there.

Now if you're using Guitar Rig hardware as a sound card and the 828 as a sound card and using ASIO drivers then you'll have problems as ASIO only allows access to one device at a time. Better to get your 828 setup first. If Guitar rig is just like a footpedal and you're just running from the line out into the 828 thats OK.

I guess we need a little more info back now to help you further.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/24 22:14:28 (permalink)
    you are using the MOTU as your Windows sound device. Not really a good idea.

ohhey, mudgel and WDI, you guys always deliver excellent advice. I always read your posts and nod in agreement. Great minds think alike. So why are you telling the guy this???

My MOTU 828 MkII has been my ONLY audio device since the day I got it. Playing shoot-em-up games with a subwoofer is really satisfying! I listen to everything audio - CDs, MP3s, internet radio, podcasts - through the MOTU and my mains. I can't imagine going back to standard audio.

I don't use iTunes, but I use plenty of other audio applications and even the cheesiest shareware download from 1996 has no problem with the MOTU as the default device.

The only issue I've ever had is that if I boot up with the MOTU turned off, I'll have no sound until I reboot with the interface turned on.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    WDI
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/24 23:03:54 (permalink)
    You don't have to worry about sharing drivers with other windows programs. That's basically the reason why. I've seen other posts claiming that the Edirol FA-66 does just fine with general Windows programs but on the Edirol you have to manually set the sample rate via a switch on the back and in order to do so you have to power the unit off. Even with the Fireface which switches the sample rate automatically, I've run into sample rate issues with non audio/video editing apps. And have you tried running other programs such as windows media player while having a Sonar session open? What happens? What if the sample rates don't match between the two programs? I've seen posts where people mention that they switch to another app while running Sonar and when they set the focus back to Sonar, Sonar becomes unresponsive and often someone mentions the sharing driver thing. So it's just a convenient way to avoid conflicts with other apps which has worked for me. Also, connect both cards outs to a mixer so you can use your monitors for general windows sounds.

Now, the one thing I've learned from working with computers is that what works for me doesn't always work for someone else and vice versa. Since you have the MOTU you know better how it works then I do so you could give better advice.

Look, me and bitflipper at MGM Studios. Boy, those where the days!

I wasn't sure if you saw this in one of my posts last week. LOL
    post edited by WDI - 2009/03/24 23:14:35

Sonar 7 PE
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

bitflipper
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/25 00:25:34 (permalink)
    So creepy Mr. Potatohead looking over my shoulder was not just my imagination! I knew it. And my therapist called it "paranoia".

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/25 00:41:00 (permalink)
    Mmm, sorry catalog, we sort of forgot about your original question.

I'd start by making the MOTU the default audio device and then troubleshoot it with Windows Media Player to keep it simple.

Open the Audio Devices control panel applet. The first thing I'd recommend is disabling the Windows sounds. Go to the Sounds tab and select "No Sounds" from the list of sound schemes.

Next go to the Audio tab and select "MOTU Main Outs" as the default device. If it's not on the list, something's gone awry with the driver installation.

Next, start the MOTU CueMix program, which is your virtual mixer. Under "Output", select Main Outs and turn the fader up. At this point, you should be able to play a CD in WMP and hear the output.

If you still don't hear anything, then I'd investigate any possible issues with the USB port or cable. Try using another USB cable. I have had both the USB and Firewire versions of the 828, and neither of them liked long cables, even when the cable length was within the USB/FW spec.

My Stuff
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/25 00:47:44 (permalink)
    From my perspective I don't know what level the OP is at so I was going to a very basic formula. That's why I concluded my comments with now we need a bit of info back.

For an experienced user you can juggle a whole array of different sound cards if you choose (i use my FF800 for all my sound too even 7.1 surround at times) but with troubleshooting for a novice user I was agreeing with this most basic advice to get things up and running. especially if ASIO and WDM, Direct sound device and all that terminology gets thrown in the mix as Windows grabs your 828 to deliver system sounds (if not turned off)

Just want to get his DAW up and running that's all.

I'm not sure but I think someones looking over your shoulder?? This could get weird.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Frostysnake
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 722
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/25 14:24:46 (permalink)
    I am on page with Bitflipper...2408mk3 worked from day as my only sound device as well. No probs, except for like he said...make sure the unit is turned on before you boot up. Did have to troubleshoot WMP, but everything was and still is peachy after I reconfigured everything there.

Sonar Platinum Windows 7 64-bit
    1 TB Hard Drive\Seagate 500 GB Slave
    VS-100
    MOTU 2408 MK3
    A-Pro 800
    cataloguemusic
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/26 07:42:09 (permalink)
    Hi Guys

Thanks to all who posted ... some great tips there!!

OK, here's a little update on "where I'm at" at the moment.

The SB Audigy is gone. I sold it so can't put it back in.

2 nights ago I was getting the machine freezing on bootup. I read through the manual and found in the troubleshoot section that can be caused by the WDM and I should use ASIO instead. So uninstalled the MOTU and re-installed and it seemed to be fine.

I must add that the setup file on the CD doesn't EXACTLY seem to have anything like check boxes to choose USB2 or ASIO drivers specifically. It just seems to install everything without much interaction. Then I get a pop up window saying New Hardward Found - MOTU Audio Wave and various other drivers and it asks for the disk. I went through this and everything seemed fine.

So, first thing I did was configure the Audio setup. My inputs are Mic/Guitar 1 & 2 (as I mostly record bass, guitars and vocals) and Midi (for keys). Outputs are temporarily set to phones (my new cables should be here today to hook up to the Mains Out).

I opened iTunes and low and behold .... as Bon Scott sang "There was sound"!!!

Still couldn't get a note out of the guitar. Opened Cakewalk, set my Audio options to match Mic Guitar 1&2 and Phones for Input and Output. Head back into the manual revealed the Input Monitoring would have to be done via Cue Mix.

"There was Guitar" !!!!!!!!!!

OK, great ......

So, next I open Guitar Rig. I have this installed as a VST instrument and use it as a Soft Synth plugin, but also a stand alone guitar Effect. I mainly use my DAW for writing, so I prefer to record the "processed" sound directly (previousl recording the "wave" on my SB Audigy) as opposed to the clean sound and adding the plugin at mix. It just gives me a better vibe when writing with those heavier guitars than a Hank Williams attack

I get sound but terrible latency. Doesn't the MOTU claim to have no latency ??? I change the settings, its all set for MOTU ASIO. The lowest latency I can seem to get is 27ms. This is absolutely no use to me whatsoever!

I mess around with the settings, getting nowhere. I jump back into Cakewalk Audio Options, messed around ...

I know cannot get sound from a song I've created, or iTunes

I know I need to give more specifics here (can do later with screenshots etc when Im back in the studio) but would anyone know where I am going wrong ???

3 nights later and I'm losing the will to live!!!!!!!!!

Paul Logue
    EDEN'S CURSE

Cakewalk UA-25 EX
    bitflipper
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/26 14:58:33 (permalink)
    I get sound but terrible latency. Doesn't the MOTU claim to have no latency ???

Zero-latency monitoring is not possible when you're listening to computer-based effects such as Guitar Rig. You're sending the signal to the plugin, where processing has to happen, processing that takes a finite amount of time. You also have to endure the unavoidable overhead of buffering.

As you discovered, there is a limit to how low you can get your latency by adjusting the buffer size. This limitation depends on how powerful your CPU is and how much work you're making it do. Eliminating some of the work the CPU has to do may allow you to reduce latency further. For example, while tracking, freeze any previously-recorded tracks that have effects on them. Hold off on any master bus effects until tracking is done. Check for and kill any unnecessary Windows processes that may be eating CPU cycles, e.g. disable your network adapter. If you have a PCI video adaptor, make sure it's not hogging the PCI bus. Turn off waveform preview. Try telling Windows to give priority to background tasks. The list is endless.

When possible, the best solution is to simply not monitor computer-based effects. Only then will you experience true zero-latency monitoring. If you can't play guitar without effects, get a cheap hardware effects stompbox and use that while playing - but don't record it, instead record a dry signal and add your effects in the box afterward. Same with reverb on vocals. The hardware effects don't have to be great ones, just good enough to give the right feel during the performance.

My Stuff
    cataloguemusic
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/27 06:25:04 (permalink)
    Hi Guys

I got my new audio cables in yesterday and I setup everything to MAINS.

I also logged onto the MOTU website and downloaded the new drivers for USB2/Firewire (3.6.8.1400).

Finally, I changed the audio settings in my SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES in the Control Panel to the following :-

AUDIO
    Playback: MOTU MAIN 1&2
    Recording: MOTU MIC 1&2
    Midi: MOTU MIDI

VOICE
    Playback: MOTU MAIN 1&2
    Recording: MOTU MIC 1&2

Incidentally, when I change my settings in the above tabs, the first tab VOLUME states NO AUDIO DEVICE (or something similar).

I then open SONAR and go into Audio Options and update the driver to ASIO - is this right ???

I tried to play a mix and it couldnt handle a simple 12 track song with plugins before crashing and rebooting the PC.

I also have no sound coming out my speakers, only the phones.

iTunes does not produce sound too.

I'm a little confused with this whole thing, what drivers to use, what to change where .

Can anyone paste screenshots of their settings in Cakewalk / Control panel etc - anything they can think will help me.

Paul Logue
    EDEN'S CURSE

Cakewalk UA-25 EX
    bitflipper
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/27 23:02:31 (permalink)
    Incidentally, when I change my settings in the above tabs, the first tab VOLUME states NO AUDIO DEVICE (or something similar).

This is normal. You cannot use the Windows volume controls with your external interface, as it bypasses the Windows mixer when you're using WDM or ASIO (that's a good thing).

I also have no sound coming out my speakers, only the phones.

Are your speakers plugged into the main outputs? Not the ones labeled "1" and "2", but the ones labeled "main out" below them.

My Stuff
    cataloguemusic
    RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2009/03/29 16:14:55 (permalink)
    Hi Guys

Your help has been invaluable ... I am up and running!!!

Only one problem remains ... I just cannot get sound out my phones. I have setup EVERYTHING to route to Mains, yet Phones just wont give me any sound. I opened DSP Cue Mix and I notice in the drop down next to Master Fader that it says phones. Aha, or so I thought ... I changed it to Mains and within 4 secs it went back to phones. I did this repeatedly and it keeps doing it, like it has some sort of lock or memory print on it. Any ideas ?

Paul Logue
    EDEN'S CURSE

Cakewalk UA-25 EX
    DavidBrown99
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re: RE: OK, I did it ... I bought a MOTU 828 MkII 2010/11/18 10:29:11 (permalink)
    My setup is:  MOTU 2408mk3 + MTP-AV + HP xw4100.  I installed everything and it works perfectly without any glitches.  Onboard sound card was disabled in control panel and the "windows" audio sounds like boot up, dings, beeps, warnings and media player all run through my MOTU audio interface to the main speakers.  The windows volume control and mixer work like a charm and I can control the windows sounds separately from the MOTU + Sonar output. Win Media player will even run at the same time as the DAW (unpleasant but it does it perfectly).  On the back of the MOTU I can route any output or input with a cable.  My phones vol. and mains vol. are both active constantly so I can dial up either one manually from the front of the MOTU.  
         For software from MOTU I have TWO routing programs that are opened individually.  One for MIDI to send the Midi to the appropriate port(s), and one for Audio, to send the audio to the selected output(s).   Sonar sees these two routing maps from inside Sonar and I can select them from inside Sonar with the Sonar interface.  The MOTU interface does not pop up.  Once the MOTU routing maps are set I don't need to fiddle with them, they are more like setup programs.  (Your interface may have one setup program containing MIDI & audio.)
         I can select any combination of outputs both audio and midi without rebooting or restarting anything.  
       Be sure you have a software program that controls the MOTU, it's running and it works. 
         In Sonar go to the audio and choose the driver type you will be using and check the box that says "Always use these drivers".  Reboot. 
         Windows needs some type of sound card even if it's disabled to load it's own drivers.  "On board sound card" is fine even if it's "disabled" in the control panel.  During Win bootup before it ever gets to your firewire MOTU, windows has already decided to load the windows mixer etc... therefore if something hardware,  is present you will have the features of the windows program but it will be redirected to the MOTU at the end of bootup. 
       As for your problem with the phones vs mains.  I suspect the MOTU and/or the Sonar setup files.  make a copy, then scout through these text files for something that looks funny like a double entry ie: 
    Mains     (and the next line below says something like)
    Mains, phones     (get it?)  
        Once you get it running back it up.  It WILL do everything you ask and more.  Every once in awhile a MOTU gets fouled up and the owner comes on looking for help... and the non-owners mistakenly blame the MOTU as the problem.  It's usually in the setup files and/or boot order.  Good luck
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1