Putting cover tunes on the net

Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
2009/03/24 12:55:39 (permalink)

Putting cover tunes on the net

Is it ok to post links to cover tunes on a "not for profit" website. Meaning I'm not file sharing and I'm not selling anything. Just posting for people to listen.

Will I run the risk of having to pay performance royalties?

15 Replies Related Threads

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 12:59:23 (permalink)

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    bapu
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 13:10:16 (permalink)
    Thanks.

That article seems to be addressing commercial endevors.

My concern is over a not for profit personal website (or even MySpace, FaceBook, SongForum here, etc., for that matter). Again, I don't make music for money, nor do I intend to. So if I get together with some friends, bang out a few cover tunes and post them online am I subject to royaly fees.

Of course I want to believe I'm not. But I've been wrong before.
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 13:19:12 (permalink)
    It's very hard to find any clear statement as to non-commercials, only this:

In January 2009, the US Copyright Royalty Board announced that "it will apply royalties to streaming net services based on revenue.

That would imply no revenue, no royalties.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 14:01:19 (permalink)
    What if, instead of money, you had super hot babes throwing themselves at you day and night? Would they be able to say that somehow you had bartered? Would they be able to force a royalty on you in exchange for the market value of the "services rendered"?

I only ask because I am a believer that pretty much everything a guy does, with the sole exception of watching pro sports, is for the singular purpose of getting lucky. I am nearly 100% certain that if we could be convinced that begging for money under freeway overpasses is the best way to score, pretty much everyone would give up their jobs immediately. However, since the person that figured that out would stand to benefit so much, I am not sure that if it were the case, they would let on.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 14:07:56 (permalink)
    Is it ok to post links to cover tunes on a "not for profit" website. Meaning I'm not file sharing and I'm not selling anything. Just posting for people to listen.

Will I run the risk of having to pay performance royalties?

Technically... legally..... yes.

Royalties are due on the use of ANY copyrighted work (with a few minor exceptions) that you plan to use. Commercial or not.

Reality... the artist (songwriter) will probably NOT come after you for recording their tune and posting your version on a website to stream to listeners.

However: If you happen to catch their eye, they will more than likely have their legal team send a cease and desist letter. they do however, have the right to audit the server's records and if your version of their song has been played often, they are fully within their rights to send you a bill for performance royalties and song licensing should they decide to do so...and take legal action against you to collect.

It's always best NOT to post cover tunes on line for others to hear. If you want to make a few CD's for friends... go ahead.... the same rules apply but it's not likely that you will show up on their radar burning a few CD's.

Just remember the big mess a few years back when the record companies went after Napster, audited their records, and then sent bills to thousands of people for the downloaded music.

My advice...for what it's worth: Be cautious of posting cover material on line.

Post the heck out of original stuff.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/24 14:16:14

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 14:21:47 (permalink)
    I'm curious of why you would want to or if it is just a question that you'd like an answer to.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 14:48:45 (permalink)
    I've done it. Put a couple up on soundclick. I dont charge for downloads, so its non-revenue producing for me. I figure if an artist sends me a "cease and desist", it'll be a nice momento.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 14:54:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rsp@odyssey.net

I've done it. Put a couple up on soundclick. I dont charge for downloads, so its non-revenue producing for me. I figure if an artist sends me a "cease and desist", it'll be a nice momento.

Randy

Same here.
    I was uncertain because of the TOS on Soundclick, but I figured what the heck. If they don't like it they will tell me about it. So far they haven't.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    bapu
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 16:58:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spacey

I'm curious of why you would want to or if it is just a question that you'd like an answer to.

I actually want to so that I can tell friends just go to .....
    Also, it is a coffee house type question that I would like to see what others are doing or think.

Thanks for the post spacey.
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 18:03:06 (permalink)
    Isn't this a Performing Rights rather than Copyright issue?

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 18:18:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: edentowers

Isn't this a Performing Rights rather than Copyright issue?

Not unless he will perform it live every time somebody clicks the link...

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 19:24:23 (permalink)
    I do a fair number of covers for fun. I've always been very nervous about posting them. I had a Queen cover up for a few weeks, but then edited my sig to remove my song space url because I just got nervous about it. Don't want to be the one guy who gets busted, I guess.

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 19:26:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

ORIGINAL: spacey

I actually want to so that I can tell friends just go to .....
    Also, it is a coffee house type question that I would like to see what others are doing or think.

Thanks for the post spacey.

Bapu, I too wanted those here at Cake/Songs to hear a couple of covers. I didn't want to post them at a place where anybody or everybody could hear. I personally just don't feel right posting a cover like that.
    What I found was "Box". One can upload files and share as you want.
    I posted a link in the songs forum and just the folks there would/could listen. I can go back and delete shortcut and know that only the folks that went to our songs forum heard the material.

I'm not sure that would make a difference to others but it made a difference to me. It's here.
    bapu
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 19:29:48 (permalink)
    I'm not sure that would make a difference to others but it made a difference to me. It's here.

Great idea. Thanks.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Putting cover tunes on the net 2009/03/24 20:00:01 (permalink)
    Performance rights royalties cover all performances of the song..... live, or recorded. Jukeboxes in bars, muzac in elevators, live bands in bars..... anywhere music is played..... the performance rights groups... ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC are there with their hands out. I played in a house band at a club that was audited by ASCAP... we had to provide our set list to the agent.... of course, the club owner was on the hook for the royalties, not us.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1