Brits and Grammies and engineers

Author
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
2009/03/24 17:25:52 (permalink)

Brits and Grammies and engineers

I know there's been threads on these galas within a couple of weeks but the search didn't find any of them.

Well, I just want to wonder and vent. I just watched both galas from HDD and couldn't help wondering how and why the recordings made in USA (occasions like Grammy and Oscar galas and the world wide concert projects like Live8) are so often several classes below the ones from other countries.

Like now...U2 and Coldplay performed the same songs..the recording from Birits gala could go almost straight to a published CD, but Grammy gala sounded like C-cassette.
in the beginning.The whole stage sound was like recorded with a few mics in the middle of the hall (well...I do exaggerate a little). It did get better towards the end.

A couple of years ago I watched every performance (of the international signal) of the Live8 concert. There were so many technically good or excellent ones from different parts of the world. The worst ones I remember came from Italy and USA.

And the music guests, even really famous ones, in talk shows are often recorded really poorly.

How come the art of live recording is in such a feeble state in the states as it looks from the outside?

It's no wonder UK is on the very top, because the heritage of BBC is so huge. Do remember, that in the sixties' UK the performers had to separately record every song for BBC broadcasts. The studio records were not played on the radio. Think of the amount of experience for generations of engineers. Also they had the "Whizzle test" live shows and everything. Not to ention the all time greatest music show "Later with Jools Holland". Some of the recordings in that show are better than on the expensively made live DVD's of the same performers.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.

13 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/24 22:58:07 (permalink)
    well the brits was shown on ITV (commercial tv) if I remember correctly not BBC..

but , more than probable the cd's were made before the live thing.. most of the bands on their also have their own sound crews also.

there was a 10 second delay to stop ppl swearing and the mixing at the start was very poor.

also the thing with these companies... Maida vale has the BBC studios (where they did the beatles round the world broadcast) and Abbey Road.. so they can borrow some of EMI's engineers. if they really got stuck..

I think times have changed a lot though,I mean it's not 100% live.. although the vocals are, the backing track isn't for some of it.. I'm sure others used to find it funny when you'd see a prophet 5 / roland synth etc.. being played.. but no power cable etc coming out of it..hehe

A lot of the custom built BBC broadcast mixing desks are turning up all over the world though, they sold them on.. I remember one German musician has one.

Kalle Rantaaho
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/25 09:17:23 (permalink)
    I didn't mean those are recorded or broadcast by BBC, I mean that the way things were, there's an incredible amount of experience and ambition that is passed on.

but , more than probable the cd's were made before the live thing.. most of the bands on their also have their own sound crews also.

I don't know what you mean by this. I mean that the sound quality on Brit awards gala and Jools Holland show can be good enough for a commercial release as they are, and on Jools Holland the recordings are sometimes better than the artists' own DVD productions. In Grammy gala the acoustic numbers were OK, but none of the loud ones were good.

It's true that the times have changed, and you seldom hear 100% live stuff on shows like these, but some engineers have what it takes to make it sound better. I don't believe it's a matter of technical resources. The spectators can get fooled, I admit.

One of the major rock festivals in Finland is recorded for TV every year. It's mostly done on the fly with no multitrack editing afterwards, and I just can't stop wondering the excellent quality of the sound from speedmetal to acoustic numbers.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/25 09:48:03 (permalink)

They are mixing for mono, stereo, surround, as well as the reality that the speakers are every where but the correct place in most settings:

http://www.prosoundnews.com/article/20192

Then they send it out world wide via Satellite, Cable, traditional analog Broadcast, digital Broadcast and web streaming.

Who know what you actually heard on your HDD???

:-)

Kalle Rantaaho
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/25 10:51:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

They are mixing for mono, stereo, surround, as well as the reality that the speakers are every where but the correct place in most settings:

http://www.prosoundnews.com/article/20192

Then they send it out world wide via Satellite, Cable, traditional analog Broadcast, digital Broadcast and web streaming.

Who know what you actually heard on your HDD???

A good question. I can only compare the results from different countries without knowing what the engineers, stage crew and artists exactly have done to get the result. And comparing what I hear I can say that repeatedly (not always, Grammy gala 2006, for example, was great) the results from USA have left more place for improvement than the ones from, say, UK, Germany or Finland.

Of course I've heard poor recordings from lots of places, but something like the Grammy or Oscar gala lifts the expectations a bit higher than those for the Mud and Sausage Rock Festival.

Fog
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/25 11:59:36 (permalink)
    Kalle a lot of the BBC stuff is recorded "live" but isn't broadcast as live.. maybe a day before or something. My dad used to work in Wood Lane and I went to a few recordings of things.

part of it's their knowledge for sure , BUT in some ways it's a commercial venture,so the equipment they use is high end also. I mean nationally say Finland and lots of europe.. the resources the BBC have are good due to their commercial ventures from licensing things abroad. As much as they do with a lot of US tv shows here.

So say you hear "later" it's normally recorded a day before it's broadcast. or at least a few hours before it's recorded. When they do the cd album of that stuff, well they probably record it in BBC maida vale in their proper studio or they borrow abbey road off EMI. So the album version is also live, but not the exact same as the show.

Radio 1 used to do live sessions, they still do but you might notice the subtle difference if it's truly live and haven't had time to do any tweaks.

I guess it's partly due to the reputation of some engineers / producers over the years from here...e.g. Sir George Martin, Brian Eno, Trevor Horn and Steve Lillywhite to name but 4 of many.

post edited by Fog - 2009/03/25 12:06:21
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/25 13:32:15 (permalink)
    Sincere question: Is there an equivalent to the Staples Center... a big nasty sounding multiplex arena in Brittan or Finland to stage as large an event as the Grammys?

size of the Grammys:

http://www.grammy.com/grammy_Awards/51st_show/list.aspx

fun things to do at the Staples Center:

http://www.staplescenter.com/wide.php?page=events

Somehow I imagine you having smaller, dedicated, musical venues.

best regards,
    mike

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/25 13:51:30 (permalink)
    Well, we do have this this pokey little gaff..

http://www.theo2.co.uk/inside/the-o2-arena.html

It's only got 548 toilets mind you, so be prepared to queue.

Someone called 'Michael Jackson' is apparently doing 50 nights there. Never 'eard of 'im.
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2009/03/25 14:00:22

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Fog
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/25 13:53:47 (permalink)
    all the gigs have moved to the other side of London now aggh! hehe

50 dates = needs money for lifestyle .. will he be any good, who knows. you'd hope so.

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/25 13:59:30 (permalink)
    I'll lay money he doesn't do more than 20...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Fog
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/25 14:08:44 (permalink)
    I didn't even know the real value of the tickets for it... (not the touts rip off price)
    even if he doesn't.. the money is sitting in a bank.. getting nice interest... so a handy profit to be made if he does a refund..

he must have a few days off maybe? 50 nights is a bit too much..

heck he might do a cameo in east enders..Edward Woodward is in it at the moment.

is it jacko's last tour..hhhmmmm maybe until the money runs out..

post edited by Fog - 2009/03/25 14:18:32
    lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/26 02:39:26 (permalink)
    I don't know but it may have something to do with the conversion of NTSC to PAL or SECAN or whatever you have in Finland.

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    Fog
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/26 07:07:27 (permalink)
    Les it's not THAT much of a difference.. I mean it's to do with the scan lines / refresh rate.. (pal has more scan lines but is 50hz instead of 60hz) BUT that doesn't have that much of an impact now..as over here it's digital...

60 hz NTSC films / video games etc play fine here without conversion

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: Brits and Grammies and engineers 2009/03/26 09:45:40 (permalink)
    I think it has more to do with the surround mix and codecs... it's a nightmare mixing live for all those playback schemes.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1