My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!!

Author
dmaneleven
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
2009/03/26 14:58:59 (permalink)

My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!!

Be nice! it's my first attempt at this genre, I'm a Blues rocker just dabbling into country style boogie. any lead playing tips?
"Catch that chiken"http://www.myspace.com/462212596
post edited by dmaneleven - 2009/03/26 15:05:58

9 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!! 2009/03/26 15:17:16 (permalink)
    Not a bad first attempt... kinda reminded me of ARS... Juking .....the way it started.... it you want to hear good examples of this style... listen to some of :

Vince Gill:can't remember the songs... but this cat can shownuff pick.

Ricky Skaggs: Country Boy, Hwy 40 Blues

Chet Atkins is another... Jerry Reed, Roy Clark, ......

Those cats can pick.... country pickin tends to be fast and clean....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!! 2009/03/26 15:35:24 (permalink)

that was fun to listen to

Be nice! it's my first attempt at this genre, I'm a Blues rocker just dabbling into country style boogie. any lead playing tips?

be nice? ok
    tips?
    yea do more single note stuff. i like what you do. Now if you can
    take some "single note" blues licks and put hem in there as well
    that would be cool. there is little differrence in my "country picken"
    and bluess playing. country is just not distorted

just a touch of overdrive in a way its barely noticeable

jimmy
    cool
    dmaneleven
    RE: My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!! 2009/03/26 17:06:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jimmyman

that was fun to listen to

be nice? ok
    tips?
    yea do more single note stuff. i like what you do. Now if you can
    take some "single note" blues licks and put hem in there as well
    that would be cool. there is little differrence in my "country picken"
    and bluess playing. country is just not distorted

just a touch of overdrive in a way its barely noticeable

jimmy
    cool

Thanx for the tips.
    I'm going for more of a blues angle here -not compressed cleans- thus the overdrive. Country licks are a little tough for me to grasp since I'm used to pentatonics. the most I strayed was by using some chromatic runs I've often heard in this style of country. but over all was wanting a bluesy side to come out more, guess I got caught up in the yeehaw of it all.
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!! 2009/03/26 20:49:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dmaneleven

Hi, dmaneleven,

Nice first try at what is a very difficult genre to master. It's funny how "chicken pickin'" can sound fairly easy to the uninitiated ear when, in reality, to master this type of song requires some serious guitar playing "chops".

I think you're on the right track with your song. You've got a ways to go in terms of technique to slam-dunk this style, but the more you do it, the better you will get, obviously.

Specific to this recording, I feel like the guitar should be more up front---after all, it's the main reason for the song, is it not? I'm not a purist when it comes to this sort of style so the bluesy overdrive doesn't bother me, though it isn't typical of the style, as others have said. But the *tone* you're getting isn't really compelling, overdrive or not. And the licks are not as clean as they ought to be for this style (I mean technique-wise, not overdrive-wise). In addition, it sounds like you're running through some licks you learned recently just to play them. Nothing wrong with that, especially on a first try at this style. But to make the song your own, you'll need to develop your own variations on those licks.

Lastly, the tri-tone lick gets old after awhile. I know it's a main thematic idea in this song but one should not go to the well too often with really distinctive (and well-worn) licks like this.

I hope you won't take my comments in a negative light. I don't mean to be hyper-critical. I'm just giving you my honest assessment of your first shot at this style. I've listened to some of your other blues stuff and you're doing just fine. But it does take time to develop the techniques to be a hot-shot picker like Albert Lee, etc.. Keep pickin' away at it and you're going to be a damned fine chicken picker one day real soon.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!! 2009/03/26 22:55:29 (permalink)
    I've always believed that the country pickers were hotter (in many ways but not all) than their rocker counterparts.... one big reason.... country is by nature a much cleaner style... no distortion to hide behind. Almost anybody with a high gain amp and a bit of talent, can play some impressive sounding licks..... because the distortion can hide the mistakes easier than the clean country sound.... even I can play some impressive licks with the distortion cranked.....clean...well that's what seperates the men from the boys.....

Just my humble opinion.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!! 2009/03/27 01:00:43 (permalink)
    Where's that sultry girl singin' the lead? I certainly can't give you any lead tips. You're beyond me. I like this tune but it's hard to carry a tune with just lead although you kept me interested. Nice licks. Nice tune. Hey, I love the Chicken. I was on a different song so I couldn't understand what they were talking about with the distortion. Dude, you don't need a lot of tips! You're jammin' on us right? I'm kickin my feeet. Yee Ha!
    post edited by evadianepug - 2009/03/27 01:07:40

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!! 2009/03/27 09:44:19 (permalink)

Nice and nasty biting tones on the guit. Are you doing a volume thing at the beginning of each phrase??? It sound GREAT> You're smoking hot.

Whoa, I am really loving Our Love Will Never End too.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!! 2009/03/27 11:39:10 (permalink)
    Well, that's some mighty fine 'chicken-picken' to my ears! I wish I could play like Vince Gill...

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    dmaneleven
    RE: My third Blues tune: Country boogie!!! 2009/03/27 15:06:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cromberger

ORIGINAL: dmaneleven

Hi, dmaneleven,

I hope you won't take my comments in a negative light. I don't mean to be hyper-critical. I'm just giving you my honest assessment of your first shot at this style. I've listened to some of your other blues stuff and you're doing just fine. But it does take time to develop the techniques to be a hot-shot picker like Albert Lee, etc.. Keep pickin' away at it and you're going to be a damned fine chicken picker one day real soon.

Best regards,
    Bill

I appreciate you honesty and Know I need a lot more mileage to "get there" but I'm tryin' hard to keep up with yall !!! thanx for your critique. Next try will be with a nice cleeen compressed tone to do it right-yeehaw(LOL) again thanx for the critique
    post edited by dmaneleven - 2009/03/27 15:15:03
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1