Turntables, CDs, iPods???

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/03/27 09:36:47 (permalink)

Turntables, CDs, iPods???

Your favorite choice of source material for listening?

Turntable/Vinyl?

CD Player/CD

IPod or similar and MP3s?

Do you take listening seriously? Is it a destination event or background?

Do you have an appreciable % of the money you have in your studio also in your stereo?

Me
Vinyl but I like iPod because I can put it in my car easier than 3000 CDs.

I have maybe $20k in my stereo ($12 in the speakers Vandersteen Model 5s) but want to upgrade my table to a JA Michell or a Clearaudio and my amp-preamp to a McIntosh or Cary or Manley.

I am not one of those snobs that hates CDs because vinyl sounds better, I hate CDs because my kids borrow them and never bring them back. They do not know what to make of that black 12" thing.

Also, art work, liner notes, ... stuff like that was way cooler on LP.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

26 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 11:27:22 (permalink)
    AM Radio?

Just kiddin. I crack me up.

My vote is for CD's.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 11:38:44 (permalink)
    Radio. I have a little portable one with me all day while I'm working. The BBC still has the best radio stations bar none.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bapu
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 11:44:27 (permalink)
    ($12 in the speakers Vandersteen Model 5s)

A 20K stereo with $12 speakers??!!?? Better not let CJ read this.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 11:57:58 (permalink)
    Ed (my name)
    I was on a trek to get the stereo up better than it currently stands. I bought the Vandersteens before I got divorced. Then I was gang raped by my ex and her lawyer.

If I ever make money again (DC trying to outlaw us honest folks), my stereo and my Shelby are my biggest priorities. I do want to replace my D8B someday. Fortunately, the stereo is a modular entity. I can up an amp, up a pre, up a turntable, up a cartridge....

In about 13 months, my mandatory child support goes away when my daughter turns 18. I am hoping that my son will graduate by then and I will get a slight raise (1250/mo in child support - before buying all clothes, gasoline, car and maintenance, insurance....). I do not believe my expenses for my daughter will go down, but I hope they start to decline with my son. Otherwise, I may have to work the bus stops.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 12:16:15 (permalink)
    Personally I prefer the simplicity of vinyl and a turntable. Like this

bapu
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 12:20:13 (permalink)
    Maurice,

Do you have two of those bad boys?

One could break down, and then what would you do? Wait on repairs?
    bapu
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 12:22:03 (permalink)
    I bought the Vandersteens

I think you missed the joke.

$12? I think you meant more than a ten dollar bill and two one dollar bills, no?
    space_cowboy
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 12:25:08 (permalink)
    I wish.

I have a Nottingham Space Deck that I despise. I would be happy to get a Clearaudio Solution

or a JA Michell

But it looks like my money is for other people's mortgages, credit card defaults and cars. Not for me any more. Not that there was much left after the kids.

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 12:31:01 (permalink)
    Don't have any vinyl anymore... been a long time since that time. None of them made it through my nineties phase.

Now...

When in the living room:
    CDs

When in the studio room:
    Digital "lossless" rips of CDs

When in the car:
    CDs or digital "lossless" rips of CDs

I never listen to music that's been destroyed... ie: any of the codecs that compress down to just the idea of the song... mp3, etc.
    Hurts my ears.

I don't have anything like your system, space, but I'm probably going to add a sub to the living room pretty soon, and very likely some room treatment. Or, I could just go in the studio room...

Gotta get the car system a bit better as well (I like flat response as much as possible, and loud enough to cover the road noise). I have some very noticeable frequency gaps that are really starting to get on my nerves when auditioning mixes of my tunes. Ughh!!! Horrible.
    Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

As for whether listening is a destination:
    Yes, and no. Depends.

I'll put stuff on for background audio while working in the yard or something.
    If I put stuff on for background audio while working in the house, I stop working, and the music becomes the focus, so I tend to tune to talk radio now (preferably NOT news radio or anything political... I like shows, particularly if they're funny).

Take care,
    - zevo
    alvie
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 12:49:23 (permalink)
    I'm mainly using my IPod.
    CD in my car.

Still have a turnable but I'm ripping my old vinyl and convert them to CD ... and for my IPod.

Alain
    Sonar X1 Producer Expanded (64 bits) 
    Windows 7 (64 bits) 
    Intel I7 / 8 MB
    UA-4FX, EMU XBoard49, AT-2020 
    http://parseq.alvie.ca/ 

VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 13:40:10 (permalink)
    Vinyl for me, obviously, although cd's get bought mostly these days.

VJ
    space_cowboy
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 14:11:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: VinylJunkie

What is obvious about that?

I have found that over here in the USSA we are seeing a ton more vinyl come out than at any point since the early 80s.

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 14:18:25 (permalink)
    I would love to hear my unplayed Mobile Fidelity Beatle albums on your system space. (and many others...most all my albums have been played only once...for recording)

I bought a turntable to transfer my fav albums to PC but just can't bring myself to play them on it.

So it's CD's until I get a good table.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 16:09:37 (permalink)
    I keep braking out the old Records and CDing comps. I even bought a Record a few weeks ago - a local R&B guy. 10 inch disk. Sounds pretty good, and inlcuded a download for those without such a capablility.

CD in the living room, LPs in the studio.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 16:22:29 (permalink)
    I like the old 33&1/3 RPMs.... but CD's have pretty much been my choice...along with Ipod.... for convenience.... converted some of my records and cassettes to digital..... it's just so hard to play a record in the car these days.....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 16:23:50 (permalink)
    Unfortunately it's usually MP3s these days, although fairly high-grade ones. I can't hear much of a difference between a WAV and a 320b MP3, and the convenience makes up for the difference.
    That covers my PC (main source of entertainment), MP3 player, and work laptop. My CDs are all stashed in a storage closet.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 17:32:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

ORIGINAL: VinylJunkie

What is obvious about that?

The clue is in my username

VJ
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 19:52:35 (permalink)
    I use CD's, iTunes, iPods, radio, Rhapsody, and vinyl. I'll download the new Boomkat, but I'll listen to Aerosmith on my VPI HW-19 Jr.

ricstudioc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/27 20:24:06 (permalink)
    So......what? You drop a ball on this and watch it make its' way to the bottom??

Ric
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/28 00:04:39 (permalink)
    probably cd for convince or mp3 , I don't like what Ipods do EQ wise to the music I listen to.. esp the bass.

Although I have a fair few EP's .. from a few labels... it more annoyed me when they were 4 track then went down to 2.. as normally there were 2 tunes that were the mutts nuts at least.

vinyl ,well it can't compete cost wise with the other 2.. not like we have access to a pressing plant.. and a few tunes can't be cut to record in the genre I'm into.. as they come VERY close to breaking the lathe in some cases, due to the sub.

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/28 01:18:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ricstudioc

So......what? You drop a ball on this and watch it make its' way to the bottom??

Nah, I think if you turn the little knobs you can manipulate the arm and win a prize... usually a plastic ring or dice or somesuch.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    foxwolfen
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/28 01:30:30 (permalink)

If I ever make money again (DC trying to outlaw us honest folks), my stereo and my Shelby are my biggest priorities. I do want to replace my D8B someday. Fortunately, the stereo is a modular entity. I can up an amp, up a pre, up a turntable, up a cartridge....

A 20k stereo, a Shelby (of course that could mean one of them Shelby chargers from the 80's) and a Mackie, and you are complaining about having to work bus stops?

My heart bleeds for you it really does. I will start a collection and stop my foster parent plan in Darfur and send it to you because you are obviously in dire need.

Hmmm, I have an 80 dollar Walkman, a bicycle and couple of computers. My turntable is 29 years old.

And here I was all excited about getting a new Shure cartridge. I tell you what, any of your stuff that you "hate", send to me... cuz I would love it.
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/03/28 02:40:21

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    space_cowboy
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/28 08:45:28 (permalink)
    I went through a nasty divorce and ended up with 25% trying to stop the woman from using my kids in the process. I make about 10% of what I was making 8 years ago.

It is all relative. I can't afford to fix the shelby right now. My ex cut the brake lines. the speakers were one of the good things I got out of the divorce. I bought them like 12 years ago. i have a 24 year old and a 16 year old that I completely support. THe ex provides nothing.

So yes. Not to be defensive but things change.

spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/28 09:09:05 (permalink)
    I love vinyl personally, and love that it's making a comeback.

For convenience, I like CD's in my car.

I'm not a gadget man, nor will I ever be, so iPods and such are just not my thang.

alexoosthoek
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5238
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/28 17:45:50 (permalink)
    I like vinyl, but it seems like when you just put it on the turntable and sit back to listen to it, you need to turn it again.
    CD's are more convenient and play longer.

Besides that, most of my LP's are from my "heavy metal age" and I'm not so "heavy" anymore

Regards,
    Alex
    post edited by alexoosthoek - 2009/03/28 17:52:52

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
    Have fun!
    foxwolfen
    RE: Turntables, CDs, iPods??? 2009/03/28 21:04:47 (permalink)

I went through a nasty divorce and ended up with 25% trying to stop the woman from using my kids in the process. I make about 10% of what I was making 8 years ago.

It is all relative. I can't afford to fix the shelby right now. My ex cut the brake lines. the speakers were one of the good things I got out of the divorce. I bought them like 12 years ago. i have a 24 year old and a 16 year old that I completely support. THe ex provides nothing.

So yes. Not to be defensive but things change.

Now cutting the brake lines on a car is not just mean, its dangerous.

I can surely relate to making a whole lot less now than I did a decade ago, that I can. It is indeed all relative.

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1