Mic for linguistic vocals

Author
KozelIzAda
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/03/28 02:09:04 (permalink)

Mic for linguistic vocals

Hi there everyone,

Would appreciate if someone would be be able to help.

I've looked over many posts about mics and no one seems to agree on anything concrete. Most people suggest to just go to a shop, buy a few mikes, try them out and return. I can't really do that as I currently live in a country which shops dont support these kind of liberal policies.

Which mic would you recommend for recording vocals only, along the lines of audio books, or educational cds.

I have a Compact 4 with Phantom power, so Im guessing I need a large diaphragm condenser mic..but which one?

Price range up to a $1000, however - lower priced good performers are welcome!

Thanks for all the help.

Alex

4 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Mic for linguistic vocals 2009/03/28 08:35:22 (permalink)
    IMO mic selection is even more critical when working with spoken word recordings.

The Shure KSM44 is getting a lot of work at a local studio I work with... it has become their generic V.O. mic... but they also have a couple dozen famous name mics and when there is time we try to find the best match for a particular voice.

It's pretty arbitrary... and you may have to think about owning more than one mic.

If I were looking for a single mic to handle all the voices... I start with an Electro Voice RE20. That would make a solid foundation for any collection you can put together later.

best regards,
    mike

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Mic for linguistic vocals 2009/03/28 17:38:26 (permalink)
    For best results it is necessary to try out the mic with your system and voice. If this ain't possible any high-end mic should work - it is just like in animal farm, some animals are more equal. And for a lot of VO work, LDC's aren't the first choice. As Mike said, the KSM series would be a good bet. The RE20 and SM-7 are pretty much the standard "radio/VO" mic here in the States and are high-end dynamic mics. They both run about $300 or so. Heil is a newer company that is getting good reviews and they do similiar mics - some quite cheap. I've used the RE20 before (tho not on my voice) and it is a good one - I think there is a slightly cheaper model of it (re-50?). Also, the SM-7 takes a powerful preamp - I didn't notice that about the Electro voice re20.
    post edited by AT - 2009/03/28 17:49:22

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Mic for linguistic vocals 2009/03/28 21:25:22 (permalink)
    For spoken work I would use an Electro Voice RE20 or Shure SM7. A condensor mic might pick up too much. You don't want to hear the spit crackle when the reader opens their mouth or the sound of the room, you just want the words without any distracting over bright high end or change is tone/volume from proximity effect. The RE20 is the famous broadcast mic and radio DJs love because there is very little proximity effect and with a good preamp gives you that "voice of god" right in your head sound.
    post edited by ohhey - 2009/03/28 21:31:47
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Mic for linguistic vocals 2009/03/29 12:43:28 (permalink)
    We use RE-27's (same as RE-20 with a few added features) at my radio station. There is not a single voice I have found that does not sound great on these mics. I doesn't matter if it is being used for blaring commercials or voice for a relaxation CD.

We also use an older version of the Shure SM7B. A little bright for some applications.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1