ARX boards

Author
cdickey
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
2009/03/28 04:15:32 (permalink)

ARX boards

How many expansion boards can be used at once? Can I have the Fantom synth running at the same time as a SRX-02 piano?
When you use a board such as the SRX-02 with the V-Studio, what kind of user interface does it have?
Why do the V-Studio specs say ARX expansion yet expansion boards have SRX names?
post edited by cdickey - 2009/03/28 04:25:02

8 Replies Related Threads

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    RE: ARX boards 2009/03/28 05:20:38 (permalink)
    Hey man,

Each VS-700R can have one ARX card installed at a time. The ARX cards are Roland's new expansion card type based on their SuperNATURAL technology. The SRX cards are the older series, which the VS-700R is not compatible with.

The ARX card is controlled by a plugin in SONAR. You can use the ARX synth and Fantom VS synth simultaneously as they are essentially separate synths, each with 128 notes of polyphony.
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: ARX boards 2009/03/28 09:04:01 (permalink)
    Too bad Roland has (in classic Roland fashion) promised but not delivered on the ARX technology. They always do this: release 2 boards when the product is new (Fantom-G) and then we wait years for more versions. Many of us were quite disappointed when the third ARX board turned out to be a brass expansion. I mean come on. ARX is actually a complete synth in itself. They could have done a V-Synth, SH-201, or many other configurations. I don't know what marketing geniuses came up with this, but they ought to be fired. And with Roland don't look for mid-year announcements. It's once a year at NAMM and that's it. So the best bet on another ARX board is January, 2010. Shameful.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    xpesrx
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: ARX boards 2009/04/02 10:01:34 (permalink)
    I just ordered card 1 and 3.... and an additional IO module.... will keep you posted

----------------------------------
    www.ChantelarStudios.com
    www.ReformationProductions.com

lavoll
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: ARX boards 2009/04/02 16:11:54 (permalink)
    do keep us posted :)

sonar x1b, win 7, 12gig ram, 6gb ssd, i7 Hexa Processor i7-970, lynx aurora
    cdickey
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: ARX boards 2009/04/02 16:59:33 (permalink)
    xpesrx,

Yes, let us know how you like the drums.
    Dan Cate [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1277
    RE: ARX boards 2009/04/03 11:47:05 (permalink)
    I think the ARX-01 drum board is going to be the best choice for anyone doing song production. We all need drums, right? The sounds are actually great and useful. The editing features are very useful and deep.

You get 30 preset kits and 10 menus (programs according to kit parts - like all snares - all kicks etc..). About half of the presets are natural sounding kits and other half are processed/electro kits.

Here's what I like: The coolest thing about this product is the ability to edit each kit piece in detail. In the Tone section of the plug in you can shape things like cymbal size and sustain, shell depth, snare buzz, mic position, muffling, and tuning. You can make the same kit go from a jangly open punk or folk rock sound all the way to a tight, up front Disco kit without all the gaffing tape, paper towels and a drum key. That's more work than you should do, but when you do pick a kit from the list, and you need a slightly tighter or looser sound, it's very easy to do. Most drum plug ins have a fixed sound set. You have to pick another sound set or at least another snare hoping you have something that fits.

What I wish it had: You don't get the over head, room mic or bleed controls with ARX. These are handy and can get some good results, but again you're stuck with the preset sound which may or may not work for the tune. Half the time I end up using Perfect space and Channel Tools on a bus to get these sounds anyway. I get more control and better room sounds. ARX 1 in combination with Perfect Space or your favorite convolution reverb is going to give you a very realistic drum tracks.

Thanks!
    Daniel Cate [Cakewalk]  
    we1
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: ARX boards 2009/05/01 14:43:13 (permalink)
    what I'm wondering is.. can i trade the v-synth module for the drum module? seeming how the v synth doesn't really work anyway? and if so ... does the drum module support 64 bit or does it suffer from the same problems as the v-synth? i think that would be a nice gesture on cakewalk's part. especial for those of us that bought the v-studio sight unseen because of faith in the company. i don't think that the synth was a big selling feature to begin with... the software has more than enough sounds in it. but if i did want an added sound module in the io... i would choose a mastering suit or a really sweet verb or something like that. other than that i love the v-studio

i just made you guys the best selling io... include a stand alone mastering suit instead of just another sound module... one that would turn all the controls of the console into a full out mastering suit....that would make the v-studio the first fully functioning do it all, do it right, system. and greatly expand your sales. imagine... absolutely no need for externals at all... i'd be the first to trade up.. man I'm a genius....

wooden blocks taped together to replicate mixer, tin cans with strings attached to my mom's bedroom door and one of my wooden blocks. and a free copy of sonar that i got in a box of sugar pops...
    ducatibruce2
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    RE: ARX boards 2009/05/02 00:33:28 (permalink)
    The ARX board plugs into the VS synth & functionally is a separate expansion VS synth - so I'd guess that it will have the same 64bit issues the VS synth editor/librarian VST has.

No actual experience with the VS here though
    post edited by ducatibruce2 - 2009/05/02 00:41:38

S8.5.3PE & X1d P Exp & X2P, Q6600 @3Ghz, 4GB DDR2, XP SP3
    With Knobs: 2 x Yamaha i88x mlan (ASIO), RS7000, Motif ESR, Roland SI24, VSynth XT, Varios, Fantom XR, JunoD, HPD10, Korg PadKontrol
    No knobs: P5, DimPro, Rapture, Z3ta+, IK stuff, ReCycle, Komplete8
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1