Completion?

Author
ricstudioc
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 670
2009/03/28 15:11:21 (permalink)

Completion?

So, I've just ordered a couple of cases - one, a very heavy duty gig bag for my Steinberger GM (the original one is in tatters after 15 years or so) and a fitted hardshell case for my Alesis Ion (even for just local gigs, that thing has way too many knobs sticking offa it to just toss in the back seat).

And as I look around the studio/music room, I realize...... that's it. Those are the last items on either my "need" OR "want" lists. I have a collection of guitars and stringed instruments that each have their purpose, ditto for the keyboards I own. I have acoustic & electric percussion, simple and complex sampling available. Various guitar amps and simulation systems, a variety of speakers, processors literally gathering dust in the closet. I have a selection of decent mics, from excellent to fair - and virtually unlimited 24 bit tracking thru a decent interface. Got a quality 2 track editor and CD burning software (SF9/CDA) and so many plug-ins that my old version of Sound Forge couldn't even list them all.

Some years back I put together the above mentioned 'Need" and "Want" lists - the names should be self-explanatory - and suddenly I realize that I have checked off every single item on both lists. Literally, I'm sitting in the middle of my dreams, not a single thing missing. It's not that I'm done purchasing stuff - there will always be "targets of opportunity" and that "yard sale miracle" out there waiting to be found. But I have acquired every last tool that I've wanted to have at my fingertips, it's all within arms reach. From here on out, barring those random opportunities, it's all maintainance, upkeep, maybe the occasional upgrade.

So I'm wondering - where do you all see yourselves in the process?? Do you have a "list" you work from, and if so where are you on it? Are you just truckin' along with no particular plan, grabbing stuff as it suits your whims (and budget)? Are you afflicted with terminal G.A.S. or do you see yourself, like me, as having "enough" at some point?

Discuss.....

Ric

9 Replies Related Threads

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Completion? 2009/03/28 16:30:50 (permalink)
    Hi Ric, yeah Im pretty much there too, I can empathise with you 100%.

With my gear, and software, I can pretty much create all the sound I feel I need to make, both live and in my project studio. Any limitations from here on in are purely of my own and not my stuff. I came to this conclusion about 6 months ago, having spent a few thousand pounds in a single year getting my studio kitted out. I think its important to squeeze what you can out of what you have, and that's where creativity can come from. My most versatile guitar is the one I know the best, it's an American Fender Strat I have owned since 1979, and its been though all my lifes ups and downs with me, gigged and recorded a thousand times and more. In other words, one of the best investments I have ever made. There have been many other instruments that have been and gone over that period, but I know I never gave many of them the time they deserved. So now things have come full circle, perhaps a little wisdom finally arriving, who knows, I'm happy I'm covered on all bases musically and just want to get to know everything so much better over the next few years

Peace Love and Understanding

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Completion? 2009/03/28 16:48:04 (permalink)
    WOW, I'll never get there.

I'm an addict, pure and simple.

Lotto anyone?!

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Completion? 2009/03/28 17:49:26 (permalink)
    For now, I'm almost there.
    I want a decent digital piano to replace the piece of garbage that I currently use.

Other than that, I've got my 9 guitars & basses, congas, bongos, mic, amps, and PC. I SHOULD be able to survive...

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Completion? 2009/03/28 17:54:41 (permalink)
    You're never done, but it's pretty cyclical with me - I buy myself silly for a while, and then take a LONG time in getting to use all that without really adding anything, just deepening your understanding of what you have. That's usually a pretty creative phase, BTW. Buying is also part boredom with what you can do already, I think - and you want more options. At least, that's how it works for me - I'm pretty glad I'm not perpetually enslaved to buying, just in sprees.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    RE: Completion? 2009/03/31 06:24:16 (permalink)
    the only stuff i need is organisational stuff--patchbays, racks, pedalboard case etc.

BUT....................
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Completion? 2009/03/31 06:39:28 (permalink)
    Completion?

You had me at "Hello"

spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Completion? 2009/03/31 09:07:16 (permalink)
    Ric that's great. It must a cool feeling to had a vision and made it materialize.

When I started I had no idea what I was doing and what I needed to do it. It was a simple goal, to be able to record with a PC by myself and hopefully sound like a band.

There were many times when I almost gave up. I felt like Tom Hanks in "The Money Pit". I did however manage to build a system that satisfies my needs. The surprising thing is I didn't waste very much money doing it. That money wasn't really wasted..it was buying software that I didn't like. Not that it was bad-I just found better for my taste.

The desire to learn more and improve my sound and abilities will be additional cost but all in all I could call it completed and be very pleased with my setup. And then there is always the purchases of just because I want it.

Regards

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Completion? 2009/03/31 11:32:30 (permalink)
    Ric,

I feel as though I'm pretty much there too.

I'm not a pro and never plan to be but I do want options and versatility both for myself or any projects I happen to take on for friends.

My machine is very good but I'll probably move to an i7 when prices drop and all my plugs are 64 bit, then I'll move to W7.

I've got oddles and oodles of Drums (Addictive, all EZD EXPs, Super Drummer 2.0 and the new SDX, Session Drummer, Jamstix2 full package and Jamcussion, Studio Instruments), All IK's soft synths (Sample Tank with a ton of packs, SampleMoog, SampleTron, SonicSynth2, Miroslav), All the IK Amp sims (includeing the new Fender) and all but the latest 3 plug-in from UAD (I'll get those by the end of the year).

I would like to have a set of v-drums and maybe some "great" acoustic guitar mics.

OK, OK, maybe I'm not quite done yet but by the end of this year I expect to be "there" completely.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Completion? 2009/03/31 12:07:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spindlebox

WOW, I'll never get there.

I'm an addict, pure and simple.

Lotto anyone?!

Guilty as charged.
    There are so many guitars I want. I think I have 45 or so (but I have been buying since I was 15 and have my ovation and les paul from high school). I want a Dan Armstrong, a vintage BC Rich Rich Bich, another tele (only have one of those), one of the electric/acoustic Taylors... another doubleneck besides my weird surfcaster thing. An old Steinberger, a Klein. Another Gittler....

My bigger issue is vintage synths. I went on a buying binge when it was obvious that I was getting hosed in my divorce as lawyers could not easily value things that were 30+ year old electronics high. They take up tons and tons of space. And they are heavy. And occasionally, they blow output transistors. But they sound and FEEL so good.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1