( song has been removed)

Author
drumstixkev
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2709
2009/03/29 14:01:33 (permalink)

( song has been removed)

I appreciate the help and comments from all. I plan on finishing this song from your help and support. But I realize that I need to stop worrying about how many cr#ppy effects, wacky panning, crazy verbs and voices I can add and worry about making good music. Sometimes that feeling gets lost, all so I can stick a half finished song to get a high from the hope that someone likes my stuff. Thats what I love about this forum is the support, the great music, and the true talent that can be found here. Sorry about the crying, now lets make some great music. Oh, I almost forgot I removed the song that started this cr#p.

THANKS for the ears,
Kev
post edited by drumstixkev - 2009/04/01 22:34:47

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

26 Replies Related Threads

bartleby
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 14:22:23 (permalink)
    hey man.

not sure where you're getting stuck. sounds okay on my end. maybe you just got a little bit of the creative fatigue and your ears are tired. maybe give yourself and hour or a day or two to just let it be and then give a fresh listen.

i know on my end, sometimes the initial idea comes on really strong then fizzles, only to return some time later with a more approachable attitude. but that could be days, even months. so, this is to say that it will most likely be finished in its own darn good time.

not sure if this answers your questions, though.
    b
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 14:26:33 (permalink)
    Kev, this absolutely worth finishing. Nice dark mood going on here, love that cello against the Morricone guitar and doomy bells. What I might try is to reverse the vocals so you have the 'telephone' eq on the lead vocal with a lush backing vocal sound - just an idea.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Blurick
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 14:37:12 (permalink)
    I agree definately worth finishing. I really like the vibe of the tune. The cello is nice addition as well.

Rick
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 14:37:45 (permalink)

space, ambeince, reverb and such is one thing missing. drums
    and bass are much like one as far as the subject goes. you can
    sometimes have bass and no drums but having drums and no
    bass is an awkward sound.

add bass and some reverb to vox. put some "highs" in the mix.
    bring up the vox in level a bit too. if your speakers or headphone
    dont sound good that will drive you nuts trying to mix.

well let me rephrase the good sounding part. ive got 7 differrent
    setups and speakers and that dont even include differrent
    headphones. bose, jbl, sony, klh etc consumer of course.

then i got studio moniters. fostex and roland the rolands
    are the only ones i can mix on without driving me nuts trying to.

jimmy

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 15:00:00 (permalink)
    I would say the vox need to be a little brighter. I can't really hear the drums very well, that cello is dominating the mix. The acoustic in the begining sounds too thin. It's a pretty cool Beatles vibe you have going there ;-)

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    davewave
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 15:55:46 (permalink)
    Hey Kev,

The others have given good advice on how to help the mix.. The song itself I think needs more attention to distiguishing the parts.. (i.e. intro, verse, chorus).. I think your intro could use some more strings in the upper notes and maybe some harmonic ones to boot.. then die down to a subtle verse.. same for the chorus.. build up to it and then add some instrumentation to help it stand out.. even some alternate rythym parts could..

Just my thoughts.. I like what you have so far and you have a nice pop sounding vocal...

Dave
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 16:17:08 (permalink)
    Yes!! Pursue this Kev! That cello sucked me in. Add more guitar in spots to fill out. Oh..you know what to do. If yer stuck, the worst thing you can do is force yourself to finish this. just have a little fun noodling with the git and such and those snippets of ideas will come eventually. I like what I'm hearing so far! This tune would be an nice addition (as it's a little different) to yer arsenal already...

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 16:47:50 (permalink)
    Sounds very promising and should definitely be finished. I think the main thing that's needed is some reverb, particularly on the drums as they sound a bit flat at the moment and also some reverb on the vocals. The cello is a really nice part of this track and gives it a sort of earthy quality. I can't really add much else as i'm not too technically brilliant, but it seems that others have given you some good ideas to persue. nice work.
    ralphwiggum
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 17:27:08 (permalink)
    Um, I don't mean to be rude or anything but I think the verses sounds a lot like "Four Seasons In One Day" by Crowded House.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9sem05RHnM

Although I do think the production is very good, and I like the lyrics. The choruses are completely different than the Crowded House Song.
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 17:52:48 (permalink)
    Definitely get the Beatles vibe that others picked up here - very creative! Really took me by surprise. Based on what you've got, I think it just needs to tweaks to the mix, nothing major. Things seemed just a little uneven on the panning and I agree the cello was a tad too high in the mix. But it's good already and has potential to get better!!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    drumstixkev
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 18:04:19 (permalink)
    MIKE.... THANK YOU for the listen and advice. I think your right the ears need a rest and I am in that creative fizzle. THANKS AGAIN!

JAMES....I'll give that a try on the vox. I'd like to keep that dark feel. THANKS again for the help and props its much appreciated.

RICK.... Keep the cello, I agree. THANK YOU very much for your support and listen.

JIMMY....You have the best ears on the forum. It does need a bass line I just couldn't make one fit. I thought maybe the cello would fill that space. More low end to the vox, check. Man, it sounds like you have Guitar Center in your house. THANKS AGAIN Jimmy, your help and ears are greatly appreciated.

ROBBY....Drums up, cello down. Fatten the acoustic, that can be done. THANK YOU very much for the listen and the BEATLES vibe.

DAVE....More fill in the intro, higher strings. More separation maybe a change of chords. I see what you are saying. Dave THANK YOU very much for the comments and help.

LARRY.... Yes I do want more guitar but I didn't know if I should stick with acoustic or electric. Then what kind of tones, Aghhhhh. Larry, THANK YOU very much for the listen. Your words and advice are alway appreciated.

BLIPP....I'm glad you said that about the drums I kept taking the verb away, put it back. Put the verb back on the vox also, check. THANKS AGAIN for your help and the props.

DON....Thats not rude at all. I do believe I HAVE STOLEN A CROWDED HOUSE SONG. WOW, do I need to change the beginning of this tune. Its sounds too close for my liking. THANKS for the point well made.

THANKS AGAIN!
    Kev

post edited by drumstixkev - 2009/03/29 23:30:06

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

drumstixkev
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 18:08:59 (permalink)
    DAVE.... Your the second person that says it has a Beatle vibe. Maybe thats the direction I should take. Fix the panning and mellow the cello, check. THANK YOU for the listen I always look forward to your reviews and help.

THANKS
    Kev

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 19:37:16 (permalink)
    Kev,

This is awesome. One of your best. This is really very cool.....I love the direction your taking....write another verse...a bridge and you've golden.

Luv it.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    drumstixkev
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 22:23:32 (permalink)
    RICK.... THANKS, I'm always greatful for your help, comments and props. I need to make a few chord changes and sharpen that #2 pencil. Once again I THANK YOU!

LATER
    Kev

CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 22:33:54 (permalink)
    I just love these guys that predicate their new tunes with how they can't get anything going - then you take a listen and it's brilliant.

kev, finish it - get on with it - I love this.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    drumstixkev
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 22:51:17 (permalink)
    MARK....I'm trying! THANK YOU very much for the support, the listen, and especially the kind words.

THANKS AGAIN,
    Kev

MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 22:57:58 (permalink)
    Kev : very cool song– the cello is a great choice as a dominant (to my way of thinking) instrument here. Interesting, pertty melody and a very British Invasion performance all around. I wish it was a longer song – it’s very moody and it draws you right in but then it’s gone too soon. Love the vocals as well, the harmony is right on the money. As far as adding to this – just follow your gut – the lyric has a melancholy but hopeful message – perfect with the unusual accompaniment. Good stuff.
    drumstixkev
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 23:16:20 (permalink)
    MANNY.... I'm very happy that you gave it a listen. Your last song "Good Run" told such a GREAT story and was sung with such feeling. That is what I would like to accomplish. I'm trying! Anyway, THANK YOU very much for the props and the good advice. Its very much appreciated.

THANKS AGAIN
    Kev

alkie
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 23:25:31 (permalink)
    wow i`m in again and well let`s say i feel, like you do, this is not the kev we know and well you get it, i really felt like everything was dissjointed and choppy, and though i`m probably not the best technical guy to say this but, some sad notes with almost happy vocals didn`t do it for me, i want that guy back , remember the one who we all said there was no way in hell your first song was your first attempt at mixing, what happened to him? please find him? Would the real kev stand up please, come back to us we miss you!!!
    Sorry to be the pooper once again but i believe that if i don`t tell you what i think, then i`m not only doing myself an injustice but you aswell.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    drumstixkev
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/29 23:39:15 (permalink)
    ALAN.... I hear what you are saying. I think the more I record, the more I forget its suppose to be about the music. I find myself trying to add cr#p just so I can add an effect or pan it in an unusual way. Point very well made and I hope to find him soon also. I really do appreciate your support not only as a fellow muscian but as a friend. THANKS!

LATER
    Kev
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2009/03/30 00:19:13

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/30 00:15:28 (permalink)
    What did I miss here? Can't find the song!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    drumstixkev
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/30 00:18:20 (permalink)
    WARREN.... Trust me you didn't miss much! I'm just trying to get my act together.

SORRY,
    Kev

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/30 00:21:20 (permalink)
    Well, buddy, I like your act. Good luck!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Texrat
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1531
    RE: "ME" 2009/03/30 00:24:14 (permalink)
    Kev, I like your sound man. If you're off on anything it ain't by far!
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: SHES A GONER! 2009/03/30 11:07:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: drumstixkev

I appreciate the help and comments from all. I plan on finishing this song from your help and support. But I realize that I need to stop worrying about how many cr#ppy effects, wacky panning, crazy verbs and voices I can add and worry about making good music. Sometimes that feeling gets lost, all so I can stick a half finished song to get a high from the hope that someone likes my stuff. Thats what I love about this forum is the support, the great music, and the true talent that can be found here. Sorry about the crying, now lets make some great music. Oh, I almost forgot I removed the song that started this cr#p.

THANKS for the ears,
    Kev

I'll bet there's more than me here that recognizes this scenerio...

Sharing is caring as they say....at least I know I'm not the only one...think of it like the weather sometimes the sun shines and it's great but quite often it is just grey and bloody miserable...

I'd ban myself from being involved with music at all except I just know I'd sneak past me when I wasn't looking to have another go. Sometimes I wished I'd been a footballer instead because the odd broken leg somehow, sometimes can seem the less painful option...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: SHES A GONER! 2009/04/02 03:31:00 (permalink)
    Kevin, I always your greatest fan!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1