What sound device for 'External Inserts'?

Author
geebake
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2009/03/30 10:43:02 (permalink)

What sound device for 'External Inserts'?

Folks,

For the past several years, I've been using SONAR PE with great success. Hardware-wise though, I need to make an upgrade.

Currently, I'm using a Line 6 Toneport UX1 and an M-Audio FastTrack Pro for interfaces. Both work well and you can't beat the price. The FastTrack does seem to introduce some hiss, but aside from that I have few complaints.

However, I really want to take advantage of the 'External Insert' that SONAR offers. I don't think I have the ins and outs necessary with my current setup. So, I need to find a new device that will take care of this.

I will continue to use the UX1 because I use the PodFarm VST regularly. I often only have it connected to authorize the software though. I generally use the FastTrack as the actuall sound device.

The PC also has a Sound Blaster Audigy in it, but I only ever use that for regular pc sounds and playing MP3s and such.

What interface would you folks recommend for solid input/output that allows one to take advantage of the 'External Insert' option?

Thanks,

Greg

2 Replies Related Threads

geebake
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: What sound device for 'External Inserts'? 2009/03/30 11:41:54 (permalink)
    After some research, I've come up with these two options:

M-Audio FastTrack Ultra
    Presonus Firebox

Can you folks offer any insight on either of these devices.

The Firebox looks pretty cool, but my understanding is that USB2.0 is faster than Firewire. However, Since the FastTrack Ultra isn't that different than the FastTrack Pro that I already have, I'm afraid that it might introduce the same hiss.

Thanks,

Greg
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: What sound device for 'External Inserts'? 2009/03/30 13:08:14 (permalink)
    I don't think I have the ins and outs necessary with my current setup. So, I need to find a new device that will take care of this.

You can use any audio interface that provides multiple inputs/outputs that are all available simultaneously.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1