Selling art, etc. on eBay?

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2009/03/30 21:22:13 (permalink)

Selling art, etc. on eBay?

Hi All-

A friend of a friend wants help selling some things on eBay. I'm no expert, but I've had some success selling my own stuff, like everybody else in the world. Initially it sounded like she just needed some hand-holding to set up an account, do write-ups, etc.

Turns out she has some possibly quite valuable things to sell, and I'm not sure how to advise her or even if eBay is the best way for her to go.

For example, she has some paintings by an artist (Oscar Anderson) whose work is listed on artnet.com (nothing by him shows up on eBay). I can't see the price for previous sales without paying to access their database, and I know *nothing* about that market.

She also has a book, "I Dream a World" that she did some copy editing on. It was autographed by Rosa Parks when it first came out (1989) and she says it's in mint condition. The book is still widely available, but since this is an autographed first edition it should be worth... more?

She's offered to pay me to get her started, and since I'm currently unemployed I could definitely use the money, but I don't want to give her bad advice. She has some other things that fall into your typical eBay categories, but what do you folks think about the above-mentioned? Is eBay a good choice for those? Just want to take advantage of the collective wisdom here!

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

9 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Selling art, etc. on eBay? 2009/03/30 21:43:16 (permalink)
    Do a bit of research.... start by searching Ebay for the same artist, and the same items and similar things. Also find an art broker/auction online..... email them regarding interest...send a detailed photo and other info. They will get back to you if they are interested.

THis is what I did recently. My mother in law inherited a comic book collection from the 1940's forward for about 20 yrs.... with very nice condition books.... I contacted a broker, they were straight forward, and told us the books had value, but the entire collection was not of a high enough value for them to handle it for us..... but we were advised to sell the books ourselves as they did have substancial value. Several appear to be in the hundreds of dollars each.

She just brought me some antique (collectors item cameras)... a quick search on Ebay showed that these cameras are not very valuable.... $5 to $10 each.... not hardly worth spending the time to list them. There are about 15 cameras all in the same price range, and all of them had zero bids.

Spend a few minutes, to see if it's worth it. Then you decide. If you can sell lots of stuff, and cover the postage and overhead and paypal fees and the Ebay listing fees and make a profit... go for it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Susan G
    RE: Selling art, etc. on eBay? 2009/03/30 21:58:43 (permalink)
    Hi Guitarhacker-

Yes, I can certainly do more research, but as I said this particular artist isn't listed on eBay, and I have no experience with art whatsoever so I wouldn't know a similar item if I saw one! I know there are seascapes and then there are seascapes! The fact that he's not on eBay but is on eg. artnet.com is one thing that led to my question.

I think what I'll do is tell her where I am with the research and that the artist does show up on art auction sites, then see if she wants me to do more or would rather just follow up on her own.

The book is a somewhat similar case in that I can't really judge its value based on what I've seen on eBay, given the autograph. I'll see if she wants to pursue it with a broker or wants me to.

Thanks!

-Susan

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Selling art, etc. on eBay? 2009/03/30 22:01:18 (permalink)
    With the art...seek out an art dealer to get a guesstimate of the value. Many dealers will give you a ballpark value for free.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Selling art, etc. on eBay? 2009/03/30 22:22:06 (permalink)
    Two things come to mind Susan...

I think one of your main concerns would be to get a minimum price that she would except so you can set the reserve. And that is something I believe should be set by your friend and documented for you both. Eliminate any price issues this way...no confusion. I personally wouldn't be involved in detemining price for a friend. I may help point them in the direction for establishing value but they would ultimately have to be the one that determines minimum value of item for an auction.

The other is to know that the art will be crated correctly as to satisfy insurance and know the cost of shipping and handling. And your friend to determine amount of insurance on items. And this cost to be posted for buyers to include with item value (as I'm sure you already know)

Really these thoughts are for your protection and to protect your friendship.

I think by handling the auction this way eliminates any confusion and you can rest easy doing the on-line part.

Hope this helps,
    Michael
    Susan G
    RE: Selling art, etc. on eBay? 2009/04/01 14:36:40 (permalink)
    Hi Michael-

Sorry for the delay getting back.

Those are good points. I talked with her last night, and she clarified what she's really looking to do, which is basically get rid of the stuff! She doesn't seem to think the paintings are worth much, for example, and isn't really interested in approaching a dealer. Turns out someone in the family was married to a relative of Oscar Anderson (or something like that<g>) and she sort of "inherited" them. She says they're not his "best worK".

She might be undervaluing what she has, but that's really none of my business at this point. I've never met the woman (she got my name through a friend), so I'm not comfortable going beyond just a suggestion here & there. I did talk about shipping & insurance & reserve prices, etc., so when I meet with her hopefully she will have given those some thought.

Thanks very much-

-Susan

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Selling art, etc. on eBay? 2009/04/01 17:12:51 (permalink)
    Hi Susan and that's quite alright.

Hope it all works fine and all are happy in the end.

Regards,
    Michael
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Selling art, etc. on eBay? 2009/04/02 00:45:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi Michael-

Sorry for the delay getting back.

Those are good points. I talked with her last night, and she clarified what she's really looking to do, which is basically get rid of the stuff! She doesn't seem to think the paintings are worth much, for example, and isn't really interested in approaching a dealer. Turns out someone in the family was married to a relative of Oscar Anderson (or something like that<g>) and she sort of "inherited" them. She says they're not his "best worK".

She might be undervaluing what she has, but that's really none of my business at this point. I've never met the woman (she got my name through a friend), so I'm not comfortable going beyond just a suggestion here & there. I did talk about shipping & insurance & reserve prices, etc., so when I meet with her hopefully she will have given those some thought.

Thanks very much-

-Susan

hmmm if she just wants to " get rid of the stuff ", offer her 50 bucks. Then go make some real money with them. Friends don't let friends sell neat stuff to strangers, they take full advantage up front for themselves, that's what friends are for.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Susan G
    RE: Selling art, etc. on eBay? 2009/04/02 00:51:09 (permalink)
    Friends don't let friends sell neat stuff to strangers, they take full advantage up front for themselves, that's what friends are for.

Well, I can't call her a friend since I've never met the woman -- she's more like an acquaintance of a friend (ok, she's a patron of the library where a friend of mine works!).

I take your point, though -- something to think about!

-Susan

Texrat
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1531
    RE: Selling art, etc. on eBay? 2009/04/02 02:28:57 (permalink)
    I wouldn't use ebay for art personally, but go to a regular auction house maybe. Is that an option? Is there that much value?

EDIT: oops, overlooked the post where you explained, sorry.
    post edited by Texrat - 2009/04/02 02:36:39
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1