Complete System Format?

Author
Adji
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 443
2009/04/02 13:17:36 (permalink)

Complete System Format?

Hey guys, now I dont have any re-install discs or anything because my PC was custom made at a local computer shop, so obviously there are no installation discs.

How much hassle is it to completly format the computer? Will I have to source drviers and everything off the net for the hardware? I dont know that much about computers.

8 Replies Related Threads

lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Complete System Format? 2009/04/02 15:33:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Adji
    Hey guys, now I dont have any re-install discs or anything because my PC was custom made at a local computer shop, so obviously there are no installation discs.

How much hassle is it to completly format the computer? Will I have to source drviers and everything off the net for the hardware? I dont know that much about computers.

Huh? You didn't get OS discs and such from the shop that made your computer? So... you had an illegal copy of the OS and all software installed? That doesn't make any sense.

Call the shop and ask them where your discs are, or ask them for replacements. Something sounds fishy... your other option is to go BUY the OS and software you need, presumably again, unless the shop was unscrupulous and installed hacked/cracked/stolen software. Unless I'm missing something?

Good luck!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    Adji
    RE: Complete System Format? 2009/04/02 18:05:26 (permalink)
    hey man, no I have the XP disc, I was just worried that the hard drive and stuff needed its own seperate install stuff. If all I need is the XP disc then I have that.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Complete System Format? 2009/04/03 07:46:55 (permalink)
    was just worried that the hard drive and stuff needed its own seperate install stuff.

Hard drives dont need any special install thingies. Just plug them in and your pc should read them
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Adji
    RE: Complete System Format? 2009/04/03 08:13:57 (permalink)
    So all I need to do is find some program that wipes my computer, and then re-install XP and everything will work fine?
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: Complete System Format? 2009/04/03 10:22:23 (permalink)
    Why do you want to format your disk?

My advice would be to go back to your retailer and get them to do it for you if it's really necessary.

Phil

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    Adji
    RE: Complete System Format? 2009/04/03 11:54:52 (permalink)
    I just want to totally wipe it, and start again when Sonar arrives. So much crap has built up on it.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Complete System Format? 2009/04/03 13:32:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Adji
    I just want to totally wipe it, and start again when Sonar arrives. So much crap has built up on it.

Ahh, in that case then you'll need to get drivers for all your hardware BEFORE you wipe it out. Windows will have some drivers to get you started after you wipe it out, but you'll want the proprietary drivers for optimal performance (particularly for the video card).
    (BTW - I always wipe my machines when I get them... I start clean)

So, you'll need to figure out a few things:
    - network card chipset (broadcom, intel, etc.)
    - wireless card chipset (if you have one... though I turn mine off when I'm working with audio)
    - video/graphics card chipset (ati/nvidia... which model)
    - onboard audio (if you use it, but honestly if you're doing DAW work, I prefer to disable onboard sound in the bios and only use a proper audio interface)
    - motherboard type/chipset
    - a few others, but usually windows will have drivers that "work" for those (usb/fw/etc.)

It's not hard, but not straightforward if you've never done it before.
    I'd STRONGLY suggest walking through your hardware list (System Properties/Device Manager), write everything down, and then go get the proper drivers... burn them to disk or something.
    Then, got get True Image and make a system backup before doing anything else.
    Then test your backup restore.
    Then wipe your drive, install Windows and the system drivers listed above (plus anything else you find).
    Then make a new system backup.
    Then install your apps.
    Then make another backup.

I know it seems overkill, but if you've never done it before, you'll likely make at least one mistake, and you want to be able to get back out in minutes, rather than starting over.

Don't do this at all until you get your other drives and new CPU installed (from the other thread).

If you're uncomfortable with any of this, then have someone do it for you, but:
    Understanding your hardware, it's drivers, managing data, and understanding backups is core to DAW work. Better to learn earlier than later, since you'll have to learn it some day (or spend money having other people do it, like a DAW builder, which is also a good way to go).

Loads of people start out with the apps, and then find later that they have funky issues due to a lack of the fundamentals.

Good luck,
    - zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/04/03 13:34:33
    Adji
    RE: Complete System Format? 2009/04/04 08:13:36 (permalink)
    thanks for the info imma, ill look into what you suggest but ill probably take it back to my dealer this time round. I have an OLD PC i could practice this re-installing business on.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1