My System... Upgrades?

Author
Adji
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 443
2009/04/02 13:25:30 (permalink)

My System... Upgrades?

Hey guys, Im wondering what possible upgrades would be benficial to my system.

AMD Dual Core 2.6ghz (Upgrading to AMD Phenom within a week or so)
4 Gig of RAM (Recognising 3.25)
Windows XP SP3
EMU 0404 internal soundcard. Not the best, but good enough for me?

4 Replies Related Threads

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: My System... Upgrades? 2009/04/02 13:58:01 (permalink)
    What's your hard drive configuration?

That's one I'd start with if you only have one.

For example:
    Disk 1 - OS, System, Apps
    Disk 2 - Audio Projects
    Disk 3 - Samples (if you use a lot of them)

And, if you don't already have something like this:
    A backup disk and some backup software... like Ghost or True Image or something (I used True Image before moving Windows to a Mac...). Not really an upgrade... more like a requirement for long-term sanity.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/04/02 14:06:38
    Adji
    RE: My System... Upgrades? 2009/04/02 14:08:23 (permalink)
    Well, i only have one hard drvie, a 500 gig one and everything is on there. I wouldnt kow how to put another hard drive in there, and if i did, what would be the benefits of this kind of thing? Just organisational?
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: My System... Upgrades? 2009/04/02 14:43:32 (permalink)
    If the machine has the slots for more than one hard drive (most desktops do), and the power supply has an extra cable (most of them do), then installing a new hard drive is really, really simple.

Opening the machine should be relatively straightforward (couple of screws or a latch).
    Then find out whether if you have a bay and the power cable... and find out if your machine uses IDE or SATA drives.
    Hopefully, it will be SATA (simpler cabling, and no jumpers for cable ordering... don't worry about what that means, just hope it's SATA and you won't need to worry about it).

The benefits are organization, as well as performance, as well as data protection/backup related:
    - The organizational one is straightforward... everything's nice and "segmented" logically this way... no Program Files directory sitting right beside your projects and samples
    - The performance one is because system drives are busy while you interact with programs, even if you're not opening/closing/saving anything... this "competes" with your audio project data, which works far better sitting on a drive with nothing else going on. Same with samples/loops in many cases (not all... depends on whether they stream from disk or are loaded into memory). Now, if you're projects don't have a lot of audio tracks, then it's not likely to just completely change your world or anything, the next point (below) of multiple drives still applies:
    - Data protection/backups... drives fail. Keeping your data organized across separate drives reduces the amount of "restoration" you'll have to do should this happen (or if you get a virus or something). Also, keeping your projects/audio/samples/data files on separate drives helps simplify backup restores of the system drive (and you definitely need to be making at least system drive backups and project backups).

I have 6 drives for my machine:
    1. System/Applications
    2. Projects
    3. Samples (first partition) and Data Files (second partition)
    4. Video
    5. Backup Drive 1 (Mac side)
    6. Backup Drive 2 (Windows side)

You don't have to go that far, but everything is easily organized, relatively fail-proof, and backup restores are simple.

Good luck,
    - zevo
    Adji
    RE: My System... Upgrades? 2009/04/03 12:31:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. Im getting a quad core AMD processor put in within a few weeks, I might see if the guy can whack a couple of hard drives in there too. Then I can have one for programs, one for smaples, and one for projects :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1