patience is a virtue ?

Author
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
2009/04/09 05:11:11 (permalink)

patience is a virtue ?

So I ring up my local pro audio emporium, looking for 3 things..

1 thing isn't available as a boxed product yet, another isn't even on their system.. and the last thing is being demo'd today.. so I rang to see if there were any special prices because it was demo day.. I was surprised to hear there wasn't a discount..

the longest wait times I've had for things.

1+ year for a certain sound card.. now they can wait
6 weeks for 2 sound packs
2 months for a music program I use, because their old UK distro wasn't exactly good.
5 weeks for 2 bits of hardware that are shipped direct from the US.

so what's your take on it.. have you got more patient with such things as you've got older?

I actually prefer things like software updates to have time taken on them while others chuck the dummy if it's 2 minutes late..hehe

11 Replies Related Threads

edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/09 06:54:15 (permalink)
    I would have replied earlier but felt I should consider my comments carefully rather than just add some trite remark.

Anyway, I'm not patient, I hate queues (lines), I hate being told I have to wait, and I'd rather not have something if the world and its wife are champing at the bit to acquire it.

There, I'm relaxed now.

Phil

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/09 09:58:55 (permalink)
    Boy, oh boy. I'm testing a v-700 and it was sent from New York to South Dakota and spent a week up there. (That is like sending something to France via the Shetland Islands for those of you across the pond). Fed Ex finally tracked it down and it is supposed to be here next week. I mean, three weeks ain't that long, but I can't for the life of me understand what Fed Ex was doing.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Fog
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/09 10:44:23 (permalink)
    AT haven't you heard the new band called "F-ex" no wonder they credit cakewalk v700 in their album notes

I just bought ozone 4.. was curious to see if i couldn't get the boxed one.. but the download was £58 or something.. fair enough then they added another £8 in taxes.. I wish they'd calculate the full total . I'm forever checking how much has been taken out with the bank.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/09 11:10:44 (permalink)
    You think getting audio gear takes time, try wrecking your dad's American car in Britain and ordering replacement body parts for it. That crumpled fender sat there reminding me of my teenage stupidity every day for six months.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Fog
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/09 11:16:49 (permalink)
    ah well Dave if you will drive on the wrong side of the road mate . We got stuck in Wales 3 days when I was a kid once, the ferry ramp ripped off the exhaust box.. years later I went over a speed bump and the same happened to me, the woman in the house next door wasn't happy.. it was rather noisey..lol
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/09 15:16:54 (permalink)
    Lucky you all...

If you have no money to buy anything new, you do not have to worry about waiting.

So patience is indeed a virtue, if you can afford to buy things upon which you must wait.

I am actually just enjoying the htings I have now and not worrying about the next greatest thing is nice.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/09 17:44:48 (permalink)
    I no longer NEED that which I don't already have, so nothing really bothers me at this point where gear is concerned. I have more than I actually NEED, and I suspect most of us fall into that category, actually.

I suppose its the side-effect of years of gear addiction... coupled with the realization of how spoiled I'd become where studio stuff was concerned.

I definitely want one of these:
    http://www.akaipro.com/apc40

And I'll pick one up the very first time I remember to think about it once they're released, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

The last time I really got impatient waiting for some new piece of tech was with 64bit, about 18 months ago. I'll never do that again... it just made me... angry.

How's 64bit on Windows these days, anyway? I stopped paying attention.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/04/09 17:54:22
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/09 17:57:49 (permalink)
    As has been said, without money patience is not a virtue but a necessity.

OK, so I have a little money and I buy things. However, I am patient about receiving them (must for hardware, obviously. Not so for software downloads).

What I am patient for are the things that are not a necessity.

Perlman mic
    Roland TD-20 midi drums (I don't really play drums, just want to make it easy when I hire a drummer).
    ?? V Studio 700 ??
    I7 computer
    all my VST/plug vendors to go 64-bit
    Fog
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/09 22:05:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: auto_da_fe
    Lucky you all...
    If you have no money to buy anything new, you do not have to worry about waiting.

I'm in the same boat some of the year, I mean a lot of the things I'll either buy if they are on an xmas / easter sale etc. I'll buy more than 1 thing to get some leverage for a discount.. So not really a case of G.A.S. Although I was intending to buy 3 things, well 1 thing I waited over a year for.. and the other 2, well are software updates

bit like last year, I wanted to get kontakt.. on it's own rather expensive.. BUT the other NI stuff I wanted down the road, well as a bundle in Komplete a fair bit cheaper. I do justify what I'm spending on though. Currently I won't update another brand DAW I use out of principle as they are charging the same to users 2 versions back, even though I could pay for it.

you get in a bit of a loop.. the software is ok... but the hardware isn't fast enough.. or the software has new functions / features that you can make use of.

it's a bit like Ed mentioned with the i7's... I'll hold out till their cheaper (long wait I guess.hehe) as tempting as a quad core sounds, that announcement made me want to wait now
    post edited by Fog - 2009/04/09 22:15:12
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/10 00:21:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: auto_da_fe

Lucky you all...

So patience is indeed a virtue, if you can afford to buy things upon which you must wait.

I am actually just enjoying the htings I have now and not worrying about the next greatest thing is nice.

JR

+1

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    alexoosthoek
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5238
    RE: patience is a virtue ? 2009/04/10 03:55:32 (permalink)
    I find myself more impatient sometimes since I had a "burnout" about two years back and that is not the way I am.
    Not a nice feeling anyway.

Regards,
    Alex

The CHB
    Some Live Demo's

Various ADK computers   and some thingy's
    Have fun!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1