for UK'ers motown

Author
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
2009/04/13 14:04:02 (permalink)

for UK'ers motown

thing on tv about motown at the moment on bbc2

thought someone in the UK might found it interesting anyway.. not sure if it's a repeat.

5 Replies Related Threads

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: for UK'ers motown 2009/04/13 18:12:07 (permalink)
    Fog,

I came in earlier and saw the last 25 minutes or so, you know what its like with music programs, dinner just had to wait, if I Sky+ them, it goes in the backlog and I prefer an instant fix. I had never seen it before, not sure if it was a repeat either. Didn't realise Dusty Springfield played such an important part in securing the Ready Steady Go Motown Special. There were hints at inherent racism with some of the top TV executives at the time, did you notice? However as the program of course was commissioned by a TV company, there was a tactful suggestion that they "didn't understand how good the music was" I was laughing at that, because bands like the Who and the Rolling Stones seemed to have no trouble getting on the air in those days, funny how they never saw them as yobbo's with loud guitars !!!

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Fog
    RE: for UK'ers motown 2009/04/13 18:32:00 (permalink)
    I knew about the dusty thing because it's her 10th anniversary on the 19th. As for the racism thing, well my folks and their friends had that years ago.. the old "no blacks , no dogs , no Irish" on rented properties.. things change, although sometimes people make a wise crack and then lets just say I make it known I'm from Irish origins. In the south of the US back then it seemed far worse.

it'll probably be on bbc i-player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hq4qt/Legends_The_Motown_Invasion/?src=a_syn31

or I guess re-shown later on

well it was more funny the stones covered errm a Marvin song (I think) and they made a woeful job..

Although Macca was funny, I could see the parallels between Detroit / Liverpool.. although I'm more to say I know Detroit and Philly more for House/Techno due to my age I guess.
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: for UK'ers motown 2009/04/13 18:50:53 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up Paul, I missed it earlier (still DIYing after fish finger butties!) - I'll watch it on the i-player.

I love Motown - but then again who doesn't

My favourite track has to be Jimmy Mack by Martha Reeves & the Vandellas.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: for UK'ers motown 2009/04/13 19:18:07 (permalink)
    If they ever invent a unsiversal music money (used by and for musicians and music lovers) they should put James Jamerson on the "dollar" bill.
    Fog
    RE: for UK'ers motown 2009/04/13 19:35:58 (permalink)
    Ed , some bloke who used to be in the Beatles.. goes by the alias Macca, mentioned him.. dunno who he is

but he said his work was kinda a signature for the labels stuff.. although a quick bit of looking, showed what he played on...

1. What's Going On (James Jamerson)
    2. Reach Out I'll Be There (James Jamerson)
    3. Ain't Too Proud To Beg (James Jamerson)
    4. Standing In The Shadows Of Love (James Jamerson)
    5. I Heard It Through The Grapevine (James Jamerson)
    6. Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing (James Jamerson)
    7. Ain't No Mountain High Enough (James Jamerson)
    8. Mercy Mercy Me (Bob Babbitt)
    9. I Want You Back (Wilton Felder)
    10. ABC (Wilton Felder)
    11. Let's Get It On (Wilton Felder)
    12. I Just Want To Celebrate (John Parrish)
    13. Brick House (Ron LaPread)
    14. Superstition (Stevie Wonder)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1