summing mixers

Author
we1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2009/04/16 14:46:09 (permalink)

summing mixers

just wondering if there might be a serious engineer out there that can fill me in on the theory behind summing mixers and if they are really necessary to pull off a world class mix? i was considering that new Neve summing mixer but if it's just going to be another pretty set of leds in my rack then i won't bother. if you are using them... what's the most common application that you've found them most practical in?

also... if anyone is using the adio technica 40/60 how does it stack up against the Neumann TLM 103? thinking of it mostly for vocals?

28 Replies Related Threads

VigilantSound
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 474
    RE: summing mixers 2009/04/16 16:00:47 (permalink)
    I think its pretty safe to say that most SONAR users around here mix "In The Box".
    Go over to the GearSutz forum and you will find that there are mixed feelings on the issue.
    Some engineers claim you have more headroom in the analog domain and you can push signals "hotter" while adding harmonic distortion and tonal color.
    They also argue that summing ITB loses audio quality because you have 16 or so 24 bit tracks being mixed down to 2 16 bit tracks so ITB sum tosses out bits.
    Others argue that mixing ITB is mathematically perfect and therefore sounds better.

I like ITB personally and I have done both.

Most practical app is definitely incorporating outboard gear into your DAW mix.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/

ASUS P5BV-C, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz, Q9300,
    4 gigs Ram, Win7-64 bit OSX 10.6
    ADK 9000 I7, 6 gigs Ram, MacBookPro I7, 4 gigs Ram
    MOTU 828Mk3, MOTU microbookII
    SONAR PE X2A, Pro Tools 9.0.6, StudioOnePro 2.5.4
    Ableton Live 9, Waves V.9, 

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

Houndawg
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    RE: summing mixers 2009/04/16 17:04:44 (permalink)
    The benefits (or not) of summing mixers, both active and passive, have been heavily debated for quite some time. There are strong advocates with compelling arguments on all sides of the issue -- there is no "right" answer here.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that an analog summing mixer requires your digital project (usually done in stems) to be output to the analog summing mixer, then back to the digital system again as a two track master. This process of converting from digital to analog and back to digital will most certainly "change" the sound of the project. Whether or not that change is "good, better, or worse" is TOTALLY subjective to the listener.

For those who spend the considerable time and money to integrate a summing mixer into their workflow, I believe there's a very strong need (or hope) to hear a measureable difference -- in other words, some "think" it sounds "better" because they "want" it to.

Having said that, you may get the impression that I'm not in favor of the concept of an analog summing mixer -- and that couldn't be further from the truth. UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS, and by that I mean HIGH quality A/D - D/A converters and pristine signal chain, there can be some real benefit to the analog summing mixer process. For the record, I'm much more of a fan of PASSIVE summing mixers (that I construct myself, which still require active mic pres for makeup gain and thereofore give me more options over the "color" or not) than the ACTIVE types for too many reasons beyond the scope of this post (mainly cost).

So what's the big deal about passive summing? Before I answer that, I DO feel confident that in the hands of a skilled engineer, that warm and rich world class recordings can be had entirely ITB -- it happens all the time. However, I ALSO believe that once the digital project in the form of 1's and 0's leaves the digital realm and gets converted into real live electrons and analog voltages, especially when done in multiple stems, the project can take on a new "life." Then, the summing mixers takes all these new signals and combines them into a stereo pair.

The advocates of analog summing often describe the result of this process as having more "air, openess, stereo width, headroom, etc.," and some even claim that finally they now have that world class sound they've been looking for. There are probably just as many who have experimented with summing mixers who claim no difference at all, or even a less desirable output. There are of course NUMEROUS variables to this process, each having an effect on the final output, not the least of which is the listener.

With passive summing, there will be an overall reduction in volume of the stereo output, so that must be made up (makeup gain) as it goes back into the digital system to obtain a proper and healthy recording level for the A/D conversion. Now you are presented with a near infinite number of choices in what you can use for the makeup gain (mic preamps, mixers, etc.), thereby having even more choice regarding the sound or "color" of the resulting stereo mix.

hounDAWg

LynxTWO-B/UAD-2 DUO/UAD-1
    DynaudioBM5A/AlphaTrack/RD-700GX/PCR-800
    ASUS P5K-E/Q6600@3.0GHz/4GB
    2-WD Raptors(74/150),2-320GB(BFD2/VSTi)
    2-XFX PCIe/4-17"LCD
    AntecP182/NoctuaNH-C12P/CorsairTX650
    Sonar8.3.1/XP/Vista32
    we1
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: summing mixers 2009/04/17 22:23:14 (permalink)
    thanks for your input... just like i thought... there is no answer... just a question. the subject is to subjective to the beholder. do i want to drop the 3500bucks? me thinks that for now my money would be better spent on a really nice mike

thanks
    Darth Fader
    Houndawg
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    RE: summing mixers 2009/04/18 00:17:00 (permalink)
    $3500??? What were you considering?

And fof that kind of money, yes, better spent on mics and pres. Check out the INCREDIBLE mics from ADK...

hounDAWg

LynxTWO-B/UAD-2 DUO/UAD-1
    DynaudioBM5A/AlphaTrack/RD-700GX/PCR-800
    ASUS P5K-E/Q6600@3.0GHz/4GB
    2-WD Raptors(74/150),2-320GB(BFD2/VSTi)
    2-XFX PCIe/4-17"LCD
    AntecP182/NoctuaNH-C12P/CorsairTX650
    Sonar8.3.1/XP/Vista32
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: summing mixers 2009/04/18 09:40:17 (permalink)
    I suggest you make a plan to rent a super hi-end summing mixer... the one that's sparked your imagination.

You can FedEx a unit for a week or two and see if suits your taste.

When you send it back you'll have gotten some good work out of it.

If you like it you can probably make a rent goes towards sale deal.

If you buy one and decide you do not like it you will probably loose far more trying to sell it.

I don't think one can expect summing mixers to rise in value the way preamps, eq, and compressors seem to... they aren't versatile enough.

Personally, I think it's just a way to muddy up your sound.

best regards,
    mike

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: summing mixers 2009/04/18 18:46:54 (permalink)
    Yea,

you won't know until you try it. A summing mixer is supposed to be a high quality summing bus that isn't as expensive as a real console (it misses out on extra busses, preamps and EQs, etc.). The theory is that analog does a better job of mixing/summing channels than digital. I dont' know if I buy that theory - digital should be fine.

The other theory is that the transformers and high quality electronics in the mixer add "color" or jenne se qua that you can't get from digital. Some like to mix stems/tracks by putting them through analog EQs/comps/preamps from the mixer into the two track, other simply use a very nice, mastering type of chain to run the mixed analog stereo through. I would definately test before writing a check. I love running things through my Komet Compressors - nice electronics certianly do add depth and richness to a signal going through them. At the big studio, we run the digital outs into an SSL. Works, too.

The Neve is good - you do know you can add a fader pack ($1500) which actually adds a sub or direct out, making it more of a mini-mixer. Speck has something similiar but cheaper since it costs $1500 for the 16 stereo channels. The D-Box is about the same cost as the Speck ($1500) with fewer channels but a nice DA and other stuff. Or you could just get a cheaper real board. The Toft comes to mind and there are other reputable boards at that price.

If you don't have a lot of outboard gear (or any), summing seems like a cost benefit loser, but you may love it. Personally, I'd rather add superior two-track hardware for recording, mixing and mastering. That seems to me to add the most quality for the cost.

@

{something else I've discussed with engineers - that digital does clean fine. So there is no real reason to spend analog budget on something that doesn't really make you sit up or add that something special [color, again, mostly]. Just a not so random edit.
    post edited by AT - 2009/04/18 18:57:25

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Rajay1
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/10 03:39:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT
    If you don't have a lot of outboard gear (or any), summing seems like a cost benefit loser, but you may love it. Personally, I'd rather add superior two-track hardware for recording, mixing and mastering. That seems to me to add the most quality for the cost.

Awesome conversation. Learning a lot. Personally I like the idea of very good quality two-track hardware on the out end. Summing has always seemed to benefit the engineer whose work was time critical, but that didn't always guarantee the best end mix. If you have the time, the mixing and matching to attain the color and warmth characteristics you desire are literally infinite. But then what do I know? Really enjoying this fellas.

Rajay
    SPE6.2.1,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,StylusRMX,Trilogy,VGuitarist2, Battery3,B4II,CoolEditPro2.1,TranslatorPro,IBM M51 P4530 3GHzHT 4GBDDR 80GBSATA,2xWD149GBFW,KurzweilK2500XL,Event 20/20,2xMackie 1604,Delta1010, MidiTimepiece AV, MX8,On and on....
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/10 05:18:19 (permalink)
    I will add some comments here. Taking an analog stage either with a multi track mix like summing or just the stereo mix lets you use high end analog gear in the path. If you can't get that sound with a plugin then you have gained something.

Then there is the issue of digital resampling and in most cases the "change" to the audio is not a good one. So if you want to use a sample rate other then 44.1 taking an analog stage lets you avoid digital resampling because you can encode the output of the analog chain directly to 44.1 during the mix. If your converters sound better at the higher sample rates it might be worth the analog trip to get the higher quality tracks.

What you lose is the ability to duplicate the mix without all that gear and notes about how it was configured. One of the big advantages to a DAW and mixing in the box is the ability to come back years later and re-run the mix if you need to tweek it. Now... if you run a pro studio that means the customer has to come back to your studio and pay more money to get that done, so that could be good for business.

As a home user I know that I do not have all the gear I had when I recorded most of my songs. I don't even have the instruments anymore. I'm really glad I recorded audio of everything. I'm still in the habit of doing that... I may not even have the same selection of plugins in the future so I tend to bounce software synths to audio before the mix and even bounce some effects I think might not be there in years to come.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/10 12:47:58 (permalink)
    In that price range, if you are serious, I suggest looking at the Dangerous 2 buss. http://www.dangerousmusic.com/2bus.html

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    ohhey
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/10 23:25:40 (permalink)
    Also, to take an analog stage you had better have good converters on both ends.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/11 10:08:45 (permalink)
    Here's a very easy to build summing mixer... it is described as having pristine sound quality.

http://forsselltech.com/8chsum_2.pdf

the guys that designed it are experienced high end audio designers.

They also designed this:

http://forsselltech.com/downloads/schematics/Summing%20Buss2.pdf

Where you can see that the actual "summing" is the same passive network.... suggesting that all the magic stuff is from the extraneous circuitry and as mentioned, the filter effects that occur when you go through your converters.

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/11 10:14:41 (permalink)
    you might have done better to make this two separate posts, hopefully the second question won't get lost in the hub-bub over the first<G>...

ORIGINAL: we1
    just wondering if there might be a serious engineer out there that can fill me in on the theory behind summing mixers and if they are really necessary to pull off a world class mix? i was considering that new Neve summing mixer but if it's just going to be another pretty set of leds in my rack then i won't bother. if you are using them... what's the most common application that you've found them most practical in?

YMMV!

An external summing buss provides a couple of "features" that you can't yet get working strictly inside a computer.
    1) easy access to analog hardware such as vintage compressors or equalizers
    2) the ability to further color your mix by selecting a specific device for make-up gain

I'm not sure just how valuable #1 is, at least when you factor in cost. I used to repair studio gear, and I repaired a LOT of UREI 1176s, with representatives of every revision I'll bet. No two sounded alike! These days I use the UAD 1176 plug-in. No, it doesn't sound exactly like any of the 1176s I owned or repaired. It does, however, have that vibe, and I find it an excellent replacement since there is no way I could afford to own the number of 1176s I often use on a project.

The real killer, for me, is their recently released VU compressor, which is a clone of the original dBX 16x compressors. It nails the "feel" of the ones I used to use so well that when I first tried it I swear I flashed back to the early 1980s when I was still learning my way around a studio. Too cool.

The point being that if all you want is access to vintage gear there are ways to get really really close in software, and they provide a couple of serious advantages over their hardware counterparts - complete recall and (usually) higher usage count.

Is it exactly the same thing? No! If you have a Pultec or Fairchild or Urei box you really like then this is one way to use it. The External Insert would be something else to consider.

#2 is much more subjective... but if you have an amplifier that you particularly like this is one way you can use it to "glue" things together.

Which brings up the third application of external summing busses, and this is very subjective (as if the others aren't)... one can argue that the cross-talk and other minute interactions in a summing buss can add something to a mix. You'd be very hard pressed to argue the opposite. But is this "something" good or bad, and is it really necessary given all the advantages of mixing in the computer? No one can answer that for you!

A couple of folks have recommended renting one and trying it out yourself, and I think that's about the only way you will resolve this.

FWIW, I do like bringing out as many (all) of my tracks to an analog mixer. Something magical happens when you do that... provided you (a) have a mixer that is up to the task, (b) have D/A converters that are up to the task, (c) have a monitor system that is up to the task, and (d) have a room that is up to the task. See a pattern here<G>? In my present room an outboard summing buss would be a complete waste of resources. But I have worked in rooms where that wasn't the case, and eventually I'll build such a room myself!

ORIGINAL: we1
    also... if anyone is using the adio technica 40/60 how does it stack up against the Neumann TLM 103? thinking of it mostly for vocals?

Every microphone is different, and you'd be hard pressed to find two examples to better make the case! I like both, but neither would be on my list of microphones to put up for most of the vocalists I've recorded. Doesn't mean I'm right, by the way, just that I have other "first choice" vocal microphones. And part of that equation is the vocalist, the room, and the preamplifiers - probably in that order.

They are both really good microphones... and you really need to just try then on different singers to find out which one works where.

Have fun...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/11 10:50:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

Here's a very easy to build summing mixer... it is described as having pristine sound quality.

http://forsselltech.com/8chsum_2.pdf

the guys that designed it are experienced high end audio designers.

They also designed this:

http://forsselltech.com/downloads/schematics/Summing%20Buss2.pdf

Where you can see that the actual "summing" is the same passive network.... suggesting that all the magic stuff is from the extraneous circuitry and as mentioned, the filter effects that occur when you go through your converters.

I personally built an 8 channel version of this passive summing mixer off of this same diagram about a year ago.

I haven't used it much....but I can tell you that it certainly does work. Was very easy to build, and I used my Daking preamps for makup gain.

I really didn't use it because I used some cheap components, cables, etc just as a project to see if it would work. Now that I know it does, I should go back and rebuild it with good parts and see how it works out.
    post edited by skullsession - 2009/05/11 10:55:03

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/11 11:16:03 (permalink)
    So Bill, what do you think of the JFet992?

I just found this great discussion about the Dangerous 2 Bus:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/17014-whats-inside-dangerous-2bus-anyway.html

Where the discussion gets kinda crazy.... evidently if generic IC chips sound good it sounds good :-)... maybe not "vintage" but good.

I keep thinking I've got a bunch of Mackies that already do that. :-).

2 weeks ago I got to hear a local pop PTHD recording that had just come back from a big city mastering session using mid/side compression and analog summing. It sounded wonderful, smooth and organic. But the original tracks and in house mix sounded very good as well. They were different... I'm still not sure I think the extra work/gear is necessary if you KNOW the sound you are after. In other words, If I wanted the sound of the big city master... I think it could be possible to get it without all the pixie dust. In any event the final mix sounded stylized, as in, there was a decision made to color the sound, it was beyond the simple desire to replicate faithfully and with accuracy.

As for the discussion of the 2 bus I linked to above...I think it's one thing to fork over big bucks for a device that does cost a bunch to build like a hand built console full of discrete class A transitors and FETs... (FWIW I'm working on a tube preamp and I have $800 in parts sitting here and the work will all be hand labor) and it's another thing to pay a person big bucks to "certify" the sound quality of a bunch of generic IC chips as sounding really good.

Even If I agree it sounds really good... it just seems like pixie dust.

best regards,
    mike

wst3
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/11 13:31:13 (permalink)
    Hello Mike,
    So Bill, what do you think of the JFet992?

It's a killer opamp... and it sounds different than all the other 990 inspired discrete opamps.

I just found this great discussion about the Dangerous 2 Bus:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/17014-whats-inside-dangerous-2bus-anyway.html

Where the discussion gets kinda crazy.... evidently if generic IC chips sound good it sounds good :-)... maybe not "vintage" but good.

I remember that thread... I thought it was pretty funny!

My take, fwiw, JW does upgrades, and he does work that a lot of folks really like. He uses (or used, I have not spoken with him in years) video chips because of the high speed - and high speed can be (is) a huge factor in what something sounds like. He is very generous with his time and knowledge - I asked him about things I could do to my Tangent console and he walked me though a bunch of suggestions. He even acknowledged that it would be silly to send him 48 channel strips, because the cost to upgrade them would be more than the console is worth. All he asked in return for his advise was that I not go sharing it freely. Fair enough.

Fletcher, on the other hand, sells boutique gear. He is, and has been for a long time, a working recording engineer. He has good ears, and an uncanny ability to measure the marketplace. I'd wager you won't find a single questionable piece of kit in his studio or on his web site. He's also made a name for himself by being inflammatory<G>! If you've never met him in person you owe it to yourself to do so, he is a very cool guy, and unbelievably generous with his knowledge! He's also a top-gun class sales guy (said with respect, not disdain!)

They are both right, and they are both wrong... not surprising eh?

I am not a fan of JWs high speed approach, even though intuitively it ought to work. I've tried it, and I've auditioned his microphone preamplifier, and I just never adjusted to that sound.

By the same token I do think it is possible to improve upon existing designs that use "jelly bean" op-amps... but you have to take the entire circuit into account when you do so. And you have to be careful that you aren't giving up part of the sonic signature while chasing after that next couple of dB in S/N ratio or distortion specs.

I keep thinking I've got a bunch of Mackies that already do that. :-).

My humble opinion is that those things don't sound all that great. It really isn't about just the chips, if it was the chip manufacturer would get the reference design spot-on and everyone would use it and everything would sound the same - and we all know that is not the case. Reference designs are a great place to start, but you have to be willing to really think it through if you want to get the best performance.

2 weeks ago I got to hear a local pop PTHD recording that had just come back from a big city mastering session using mid/side compression and analog summing. It sounded wonderful, smooth and organic. But the original tracks and in house mix sounded very good as well. They were different... I'm still not sure I think the extra work/gear is necessary if you KNOW the sound you are after. In other words, If I wanted the sound of the big city master... I think it could be possible to get it without all the pixie dust. In any event the final mix sounded stylized, as in, there was a decision made to color the sound, it was beyond the simple desire to replicate faithfully and with accuracy.

I'm going to argue your point about pixie dust... at least your application of the term. If we could accurately and COMPLETELY measure the transfer function of any device then it would be a simple matter to reproduce it in some other signal chain. OK, simple is a poor choice of words, but it is at least feasible. But we can't measure a transfer function completely because we still don't know what a complete measurement would include. Clearly the fact that two devices with identical specifications can sound different proves that point. Not that there aren't some really bright folks working on the puzzle.

So it isn't necessarily pixie dust. There may be interactions that we can't yet measure.

Still, a big part of the magic is (a) knowing what sound it is you are trying to create, and (b) knowing how others have achieved that sound. Then you have at least a fighting chance.

As for the discussion of the 2 bus I linked to above...I think it's one thing to fork over big bucks for a device that does cost a bunch to build like a hand built console full of discrete class A transitors and FETs... (FWIW I'm working on a tube preamp and I have $800 in parts sitting here and the work will all be hand labor) and it's another thing to pay a person big bucks to "certify" the sound quality of a bunch of generic IC chips as sounding really good.

An interesting distinction... I'm not sure I agree. Not everyone has the chops to design the circuit and the printed circuit board. And then there is the issue of recovering the non-recurring costs. And, there are so many other parts costs that using the cost of the active components alone really is not accurate.

Even If I agree it sounds really good... it just seems like pixie dust.

BINGO! None of the above really matters... it's interesting to be sure, but it doesn't matter. What matters is the sound, and YOUR perception of that sound. I tell folks all the time that any two loudspeakers are going to sound different, but that they are only better or worse in the frame of reference of the person listening to them. The same goes for all the hardware we use, and the end product... the recording.

That does not mean that each person ought not follow through in their quest for their sound... in fact, I think it means that we should, using whatever tools we have at our disposal!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    ohhey
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/11 15:33:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wst3
    That does not mean that each person ought not follow through in their quest for their sound... in fact, I think it means that we should, using whatever tools we have at our disposal!

I agree. And it also matters how much "quality" you are brave enough to leave in. If you follow the croud and drive the master to clipping so it's as loud as major label recordings then it really didn't matter how good your tracks sounded or how good your mix sounded. No customer or fan will ever hear that version.
    wst3
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/11 15:57:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

ORIGINAL: wst3

I agree. And it also matters how much "quality" you are brave enough to leave in. If you follow the croud and drive the master to clipping so it's as loud as major label recordings then it really didn't matter how good your tracks sounded or how good your mix sounded. No customer or fan will ever hear that version.

hehehe... that's a whole nother rant... best saved for another day!!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/11 21:37:01 (permalink)
    Hi Bill, all good points!!!

Re the discussion at GS: I thought it was fun to see Chris stop by and explain his specific thoughts about the chips suggested as upgrades. :-) I accept the idea that all things considered, he made his very best choice.

Re the Mackie: My point was not that Mackies sound good ( I liked your decsription) but rather that the sound coming out of them is arbitrary. They say they made a bunch of chips sound great. So is it? :-)

Re the generic chips: I agree that a designer can offer a most sincere and expert effort regardless of technology. I'm merely pointing out that if the product is primarily made up of components that are made by a robot and screwed together by a unskilled assembler rather than being hand assembled out of discrete components by trained electronic technicians (components like op amps and transformers that may themselves be hand made) then it's possible that some one might imagine that the semi automated production can be easily designed, tested, perfected and produced in more cost effective facilities and the result might be a lower priced product.

The most recent completed listing for a Dangerous 2 Bus on ebay didn't even get past a $1.00 initial bid... it just sat there with no bids. I'm guessing the practical value is somewhere in between that and the original asking price. :-)

best regards,
    mike

Middleman
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/11 22:57:49 (permalink)
    Why the hate for the Dangerous 2 Buss Mike? Have you used one? I don't understand your long diatribe and speculation that this piece of gear is overpriced and lacks of value in the recording process. Is that coming from personal experience? Inquiring minds want to know.

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/12 07:19:13 (permalink)
    No Middleman, I have not used a Dangerous 2 Bus.

I can how ever confirm that I have on several occasions used a Y-chord and I CAN report from first hand experience that Y chords, when properly hooked up, do indeed offer pristine audio quality.

I also have a bit of time on consoles... which all have busses.

Re: the Dangerous in particular... I think I keep mentioning them in acknowledgment that they seem to deserve the credit for having inspired so many people to turn summing, which previously had been thought of as a regrettable circumstance whereby one was sure to lose dynamic range, into a "polishing" phase in the new age workflow... and they have done so by convincing everyone that what comes out the end of the bus is somehow more expansive than what went in to the inputs.

I just think one should understand what's inside, what they are buying, and how it compares to the value of a Y-chord.

I don't accept the "I guess you can't hear what I hear" marketing methodology without asking basic questions about the engineering... in the case of the Dangerous I was really surprised to learn what's going on inside. Some may call me crazy to pay hundreds of dollars for Jensen Trannys and such, but at least that's what the market bares for real hardware... you can search for alternatives but eventually you will want the good stuff.

I think the market for summing boxes like the 2 Bus may be different.

Other than that, it's absolutely none of my business ;-)

best regards,
    mike

wst3
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/12 09:36:09 (permalink)
    Stepping in where no sane person would...
    No Middleman, I have not used a Dangerous 2 Bus.

I can how ever confirm that I have on several occasions used a Y-chord and I CAN report from first hand experience that Y chords, when properly hooked up, do indeed offer pristine audio quality.

Not to be a smart-a**, but I know you understand the critical importance of "properly hooked up", but not every one does, and if one simply connects two low impedance sources to a high impedance input it's going to be, well, less than "pristine"! I don't believe that is nit-picking, it's a very real problem for folks that did not come up through the ranks.

Re: the Dangerous in particular... I think I keep mentioning them in acknowledgment that they seem to deserve the credit for having inspired so many people to turn summing, which previously had been thought of as a regrettable circumstance whereby one was sure to lose dynamic range, into a "polishing" phase in the new age workflow... and they have done so by convincing everyone that what comes out the end of the bus is somehow more expansive than what went in to the inputs.

No question they've done an excellent job of creating a need... but isn't it at least possible that they've done more than that? There have been numerous investigations into the question of why some folks seem to prefer recordings that were made on tape or with a console, and there are tons of answers<G>, including the errors in the conversion processes between analog and digital, distortions that exist only in the analog domain, etc. Steven St. Croix suggested that it was the crosstalk that exists both analog tape and analog consoles. I think there is something to his hypothesis, and if there is then a passive summing network would seem to be an outstanding solution.

I just think one should understand what's inside, what they are buying, and how it compares to the value of a Y-chord.

That's great in theory, but in reality not everyone has the chops to understand what's going on even in something as simple as a passive summing network. And I'd wager most folks that have never built and electronics device have no clue about the cost of circuit elements and switches and connectors and cases, nor can they put an accurate figure on the non-recurring expenses.

I dislike snake oil as much as anyone... and I do tend towards the skeptical side, but I'm also concerned that we as a marketplace have lost the appreciation for something done well. How do you place a value on years of experience and native talent that let someone design something that sounds great?

I'll allow that it is possible that passive summing networks are nothing more than placebos, but I'm also open to the possibility that they provide a little something that is missing from a project executed entirely in the digital domain. I don't think we know nearly enough about human perception yet to resolve this one.

I don't accept the "I guess you can't hear what I hear" marketing methodology without asking basic questions about the engineering...

And I don't believe that Dangerous nor any of their dealers have ever resorted to that sort of nonsense. I've experienced that sales approach, and mostly I find it amusing, but it scares me that some folks fall prey. You can argue "let the buyer beware", but that's not really fair... or at least in Bill's world sales people would be at least as concerned about taking care of their customers as they are about lining their wallets. Ain't always so, I know.

in the case of the Dangerous I was really surprised to learn what's going on inside.

Why? You are a knowledgeable guy, you know what parts are required to build a passive summing network, and you know what parts are required to build a line level buffer/amplifier.

As one who has spent some time thinking about this stuff I can tell you that the answers will surprise you! Years ago I built a series of microphone preamplifiers for a vendor.
    They were interested in monolithic solutions, but they humored me and allowed me to include a discrete solution as well. The final candidates included:
    1) a preamplifier based on a discrete operational amplifier - I used the Jensen 990 because I had one handy
    2) a really simple instrumentation configuration based on an NJR 4558
    3) the same NJR 4558 with an input transfomer and the circuit modified slightly to take that into account
    4) a similar design that used the INA103 with the second stage bypassed
    5) a design based on the reference design for the SSM 1512 (similar to the SSM2017)
    6) a hybrid, where I used THAT 300 series transistor arrays to create a pseudo-discrete gain stage
    7) a similar hybrid, but with an input transfomer

We also threw in a completely stock Symetrix SX-202 as a reference point, because it is highly respected in the marketplace.

Care to guess how the judges ranked them? (I'll share later)

Some may call me crazy to pay hundreds of dollars for Jensen Trannys and such, but at least that's what the market bares for real hardware... you can search for alternatives but eventually you will want the good stuff.

No, I don't think anyone would call you crazy for that<G>...

I think the market for summing boxes like the 2 Bus may be different.

It is! I can't figure out precisely how or why it is working as well as it is either. You'd think (ok I'd think) that anyone sophisticated enough to understand the application would
    be able to build one themselves. And if you forgo the niceties you can save quite a bit by doing it yourself. You can also craft it exactly to your requirements.

Other than that, it's absolutely none of my business ;-)

And I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here as well. It is, I believe, the responsibility of those with a clue to ask questions. If I came here hawking $400 power cords wouldn't you cry foul? I would hope you would (well, after I sold, say, a couple thousand of them<G>)!

No, when bad information is posted I believe we need to say so. And there is such a thing as bad information!

When sketchy information, or products that might have questionable value are discussed the skeptics have to speak up. Doesn't matter if we are, ultimately, proven right or wrong, we just need to speak up and make sure that everyone is thinking.

And when good information or valuable products are discussed, well, we can take a breather<G>!

I think the reason that this particular topic becomes heated is that some folks question the value of a particular product based solely on the fact that it uses rather "common" parts, and the fact that the cost for those parts is but a fraction of the street price of the device. I'm not sure that's entirely fair to the developer.

And that's my two cents worth...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/12 16:13:47 (permalink)
    "if one simply connects two low impedance sources to a high impedance input it's going to be, well, less than "pristine"! I don't believe that is nit-picking, it's a very real problem for folks that did not come up through the ranks."

Bill, I just got back from work and I want you to know I anticipated this response from you all day :-)... I was in a rush to get to a call this morning and knew I had left the remark about the Y-chord unqualified.

Thanks for amending my silly remark and I would also like to offer my respects with regards to all the other comments. You are very thoughtful and do a great job of expressing both the technical and "philosophical" aspects of our craft.

all the best,
    mike

wst3
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/12 16:19:22 (permalink)
    Bill, I just got back from work and I want you to know I anticipated this response from you all day :-)... I was in a rush to get to a call this morning and knew I had left the remark about the Y-chord unqualified.

Man don't you just hate that??? Been there, done that, never even got the t-shirt, just a red face<G>!

FWIW I knew that you knew the difference! I just could not resist the temptation to be funny (well, I chuckled)... and that will bite me back one of these days! It never fails.

Thanks for the nice words! So how is life as a location guy these days? You still keeping busy?

Take care,

Bill

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/12 16:31:43 (permalink)
    Life is good. It's been a lot slower this year so I've been making lots of music for myself.

My best friend and tube amp electronics mentor died suddenly last week. It's been very hard to have lost my buddy... we used to talk audio electronics for hours.

Other than that, big big picture, life is good!!!

Thanks for asking.

Sorry for the hijack everyone.

best regards,
    mike

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/12 16:46:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT
    jenne se qua

je ne sais quoi ("I don't know what")
    Middleman
    RE: summing mixers 2009/05/12 23:45:39 (permalink)

rednex
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: RE: summing mixers 2010/10/07 07:44:32 (permalink)
    hi guys! I found this vintage summing gear, the price is damm too good for this unit.(32 ch for half price!) I'm a simple user who has to try the analog summing, not expert, engineer big guy..:) I saw another stuffs, like SM Pro Audio PM8 Summing Mixer(only 8 inputs), RMS216 FOLCROM(16 input passive-need gain make up) or TL Audio summing 16 input.(more expensive and wery few channel number)) e.g Neve 8816 have 16 mono inputs...equal with 8 stereo ch-s? All I need from a summing unit is a simple design with a clean and discrete amp, I really don't want to see any pot, useless routings and catchy elements. So I think this vintage summing with 32input worth the price...and is totally controllable from DAW, absolute repeatability..etc..

Vintage Lawo (jensenmann on gearslutz says:"These things are by far the cleanest opamps I have ever heard and used."
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Activ...mp;hash=item3f03b51f3c
    another Lawo with simple design:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Activ...mp;hash=item3f03b52f04

wst3
    Re: RE: summing mixers 2010/10/07 16:52:49 (permalink)
    An observation, nothing more, but if you read the copy in either of those posts you will find some odd conflicts. Ads like that make me nervous!

LAWO is a well respected audio company headquartered in Germany, they've been around since sometime in the 1970s. Their original focus was the broadcast marketplace. There is no reason to believe that this little mixer won't do exactly what you want, but I'd do a bit more research on the mixer and the seller before I plunked down my money...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1