Helpful ReplyContour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface?

Author
timg11
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
2009/04/21 10:50:38 (permalink)

Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface?

I have a Shuttle Pro V2, and I would like to use it with Sonar 8 PE. It has some "generic functions" that work with all applications to a limited extent. The biggest problem with the generic mode is that it only works when Sonar has the focus. I need a control surface that will drive Sonar, whether or not Sonar has focus.

I found the Tech Tip which is rather dated. It speaks of Sonar V2 as the newest version:

SONAR 2.x customers only

Also download and run the SONAR control surface plug-in from here: http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/shuttle_downloads.htm.

Unfortunately that link is dead. In fact, it appears that Contour Design has deleted everything having to do with the Shuttle products. (which is odd, since they are still on sale at Sweetwater)

Does anybody have a copy of the Sonar control surface plug in file for the Contour Shuttle Pro V2?

Thanks,

Tim.
post edited by timg11 - 2009/04/21 11:02:23
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2009/04/21 10:57:22 (permalink)
I have the Shuttle Pro V2. To me this is one of the biggest mistakes CW did - by co-promoting it to their users.
Mine is basically used a BIG Jog wheel. It has very limited functionality, there's not updates for it - and as you say, Contour Design basically have disowned it.

This is one of those situations where the marketing people go to the backroom deals and forget about the users, and it's the kind of thing I *really* dislike about marketing.

If the Shuttle Pro was a 20 or 30 dollar item, fine. But it was about 200 if I recall. And that shouldn't have ended up a big ashtray.

On the Contour Design site, notice the new "Medical Mouse" looks exactly like the Shuttle Pro V2? Sheesh.

However, that being said, you can use it for PLAY, STOP, REWIND, SHUFFLE/JOG, etc... and not much more, so I wouldn't consider it a control surface, but more of a HUGE mouse.

ORIGINAL: timg11

I have a Shuttle Pro V2, and I would like to use it with Sonar. It has some "generic functions" that work with all applications to a limited extent. The biggest problem with the generic mode is that it only works when Sonar has the focus. I need a control surface that will drive Sonar, whether or not Sonar has focus.

I found the Tech Tip which is rather dated. It speaks of Sonar V2 as the newest version:

SONAR 2.x customers only

Also download and run the SONAR control surface plug-in from here: http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/shuttle_downloads.htm.

Unfortunately that link is dead. In fact, it appears that Contour Designs is disavowing all knowledge of having ever made the Shuttle products.

Does anybody have Sonar control surface plug in file for the Contour Shuttle Pro V2?

Thanks,

Tim.

post edited by ba_midi - 2009/04/21 11:06:39

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
dantarbill
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1820
RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2009/04/21 14:46:34 (permalink)
I'm actually pretty happy with mine...though it isn't the V2...and I don't use the "newer" software that they came out with. The fact that the driver follows whatever app has the focus is kind of a bad news, good news thing. When you've got MS Word up to show the lyrics that you're trying to write and sing, it's a bit dicey...but I pop back and forth between SONAR and WaveLab a lot too. In that case, it's good that it pays attention to both apps.

When I need the control surface to stick with SONAR (and not follow the app focus), I'll use the TranzPort instead (being as how I have both)...but I end up using the Shuttle Pro 90% of the time...or more.

Contour's website had gone kinda old and creaky...but then, I went back recently and found that they had apparently disavowed all knowledge of the products and wouldn't even offer the old drivers. That's a bit disconcerting.

Dan Tarbill
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2009/04/21 14:50:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dantarbill
Contour's website had gone kinda old and creaky...but then, I went back recently and found that they had apparently disavowed all knowledge of the products and wouldn't even offer the old drivers. That's a bit disconcerting.

was it the old "legacy" trick some companies are fond of pulling? one company in my case won't get 1p off me for being like that. other companies are far better support wise.. and they get my custom..
garrigus
  • Total Posts : 8599
RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2009/04/26 14:51:56 (permalink)
The Shuttle isn't dead. Contour just released some new settings for it (although not for SONAR)...

* Contour Design Provides New Shuttle Settings
http://www.newtechreview....w/bloginfo.asp?ID=1122

from the NewTechReview web site...
http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
post edited by garrigus - 2009/12/31 12:00:48
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2009/04/26 15:56:25 (permalink)
I thought the v2 of the Shuttle was actually LESS configurable than the original.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
superdan54
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 526
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2009/12/31 02:04:41 (permalink)
Sorry to resurrect an old thread....got a quick question though.

The ShuttleXpress would be perfect for my needs except for one caveat: I read in an older thread where the jog resolution can only be set to measure. Has anyone been able to get it to jog by ticks or beats?
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2009/12/31 08:47:20 (permalink)
I have a v1 of the Shuttle pro, but under Windows 7 or Vista, the control surface plugin that originally came with it was excellent, as it did just what you said - worked when Sonar didn't have the focus.  Also, everything about it was configurable from within Sonar and the jog/shuttle would work at measure, beat, or tick resolution.  Now, the plugin for Sonar is completely un-configurable.  The buttons cannot be made to control the transport and whoever came up with the new button layout must not use Sonar.

So, I suffer with the Global settings, with the settings modified from the Sonar3Pro setting defaults.  I have the buttons as undo, set From and Thru, and then a line for the transport.  I have the btoom buttons set for turning on and off the metronome during play/record and navigate back and forward through markers.  Finally, the jog wheel goes forward and back by measures using keyboard keys at varying speeds depending on how far from center.  I wish there were a keybinding for back and forward by beat, as measure is too coarse.  I tried using the FF and RW, but they seemed to work in some sort of latch mode and unpredictable when assigned to the wheel.

I also have a BCF2000 and an Edirol PCR-800.  Both of these have transport controls.  The BCF has buttons for forward and reverse, which can be configured from the Mackie plugin to be beat or measure resolution, and the PCR has a knob by the transport controls that can be used for the same.  Both of these units work when Sonar doesn't have the focus because they are plugins within Sonar, not Global Windows apps.  Same goes for the Frontier Design Tranzport (now discontinued, but with Win7 drivers).

I tried to contact the original author of the Sonar plugin for the v1, and he wrote me back saying:
- if I recall correctly, the Shuttle SDK changed after I released my plugin and, as they were seemingly writing their own Sonar driver, I didn't update my code, so it's now incompatible

I don't know what Contour was thinking with the changes to v2.  It was perfect before and now it's something I am considering getting used to reaching to the left to control with the Edirol and freeing up that bit of desk space.  If the v1 plug worked, it would be perfect again, and it would be an indespensible tool.

I'm sure some crafty individual on this forum would be able to understand the SDK for this and make a new/better plugin, but I don't know if that person exists with the motivation to do so.

@superdan:  I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the Xpress is going to have the same issues as any of the others.  If someone else here has found a way to get the wheel to move by beat and the buttons to be programmable at the same time (or even modified in the registry/ini files somewhere), those would be great steps in the right direction, but I've yet to find them or hear of anyone who has.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
terryg@contourdesign
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/02/25 11:09:16 (permalink)
Hi All,

I realize this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but I wanted to see if Sonar users are still using the Shuttle products and if anyone is interested in utilizing the Shuttle SDK for Sonar support.

Thanks,

Terry Goyette
Shuttle Product Manager
Contour Design, Inc.

http://contourdesign.freeforums.org
ba_midi
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/02/25 11:32:15 (permalink)
terryg@contourdesign

Hi All,

I realize this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but I wanted to see if Sonar users are still using the Shuttle products and if anyone is interested in utilizing the Shuttle SDK for Sonar support.

Thanks,

Terry Goyette
Shuttle Product Manager
Contour Design, Inc.

http://contourdesign.freeforums.org/

Terry,

I still do have the V2 on my desktop along with my mouse.   As I said in my original post here a long time ago, I do use it mostly as a BIG _jog_ wheel, with an ocassional stop/play/rewind when my hand is already on it.

But I must stay I think it's a little strange that someone from Contour Design comes here after a long absence and disappearing act to test the waters.  There was hardly any real support when you were in bed with the Cakewalk marketing people, yet you want to come "harvest" Sonar users again?

I find that arrogant and opportunistic at best.

Make a good product and support it properly.   Wouldn't that be a novel idea?

The product itself was well made, and had a limited but useful purpose.  It cost almost 200 (or more) when I bought my V2.  As others pointed out, it had LESS functionality than the previous model.

While I try to be a constructive and positive person in life, I must say that I am actually laughing that you have the gaul to come here without even a slight apology for abandoning Sonar users, yet seemingly to harvest us again.

As far as I'm concerned, I would doubt I would ever purchase a product from your company again unless you made something that no one on the planet did and only if iit was inexpensive.

Since history generally repeats itself, I'm sure Contour Design would not hesitate to do just what it did before.  Hit and Run.

Sorry to be blunt, but I'm being honest and I think your company needs to hear this (as do others).   People are tired of being treated like guinea pigs.

Good luck - whatevever you're up to.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/02/25 16:16:08 (permalink)
As a matter of fact, I use the Shuttle Pro V2 pretty much, but for me its main strength is its powerful macro capabilites, and that it is possible to reconfigure it on the fly without leaving the app you are using.

About Terry's offer, maybe he just got the job and he is willing to do it right. I think that whatever Contour Design has done in the past, any update will be welcome by those of us who still own and use their products.
dantarbill
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/02/25 17:08:41 (permalink)
terryg@contourdesign

Hi All,

I'm still using mine...although I've encountered mechanical failures on the two "inside", curved buttons under the scroll wheel.  (I had them mapped to next & prev marker and had apparently pounded the poo out of them.)  I've had to abandon those buttons and use the "outside" buttons instead.

It still gets used more often than the TranzPort...which duplicates all the functionality and then some...but it's just easier to find the buttons on the Shuttle.  (Odd that both of these devices have been abandoned by their respective vendors.)

Just being stupid here...what would the Shuttle SDK do for us?

(Uh...will the SDK fix the buttons?

No?

Hmm...didn't think so.)

Dan Tarbill
Kevinlane
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/02/26 00:39:37 (permalink)
I still have mine too. Good gear!
Blades
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/02/26 09:37:39 (permalink)

terryg@contourdesign

Hi All,

Thanks,

Terry Goyette
Shuttle Product Manager
Contour Design, Inc.

http://contourdesign.freeforums.org/
Terry - Please see my post right above yours.  I would love to see something happen to get this back to the way it was in V1, and the code exists, it just needs to be updated.  Surely someone there must have the resources to get this back where it used to be.

If you look around the forum here over the years, you will find numerous threads about the exact same as this one, and specifically my post.  As I said above - I'm about the chuck the Shuttle, but if it were made to work like it used to, I'd love to continue to use it and would be an advocate for other Sonar users to do the same.  Heck - I'd even do a little tool expose on it on my website like I did the Behringer BCF2000 if it were useful like it used to be, but right now, it's hard to recommend anyone get the thing for Sonar because it just seems so far removed and unneccessarily convoluted considering all the other devices that work right around these issues (as above).  It really seems like since it used to work as a plugin it wouldn't be much of a stretch for Contour to take the responsibility to support the product.

And if you wanted to add some cool stuff to it, you could expand that Sonar plugin to allow for macros of commands to be built and run without additional software and maybe to have the option to use the bottom buttons as "shift modifiers" so that you can have a regular set of commands and an alternate bank of macro commands.  For example, I have Undo as my top left button, but it would be cool if I could use the button in a "shifted" context to undo, rewind to where I started, and record - In Sonar, three button presses on the keyboard (ctrl-z, w, r) - or even without the shift...

Please respond and let us Sonar users know what you guys are able/willing to do and maybe someone from the community with the skills would be able to assist.

Blades
Blades
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/02/26 09:43:25 (permalink)
Since history generally repeats itself, I'm sure Contour Design would not hesitate to do just what it did before.  Hit and Run.

But if this is what will happen, as long as we get a fully-functional plugin out of the exercise, I'm in favor.  I think a lot of others who paid their $200 would also like to be able to use the thing for more than they probably are - or maybe take it back out of the drawer and give it another shot.

As it is now, every one of those people is BAD publicity, so it seems that it would be in the best interest of Contour to do what they could to regain those people as possible future clients.

Blades
Blades
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/03/17 15:19:33 (permalink)
<crickets>

Blades
ba_midi
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/03/17 15:22:19 (permalink)
Blades

<crickets>

You noticed

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

terryg@contourdesign
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/11/01 15:16:17 (permalink)
I apologize everyone, but I was never notified of a response from this thread.  I was checking through some of my bookmarks and this thread popped up.

I am happy to work with a 3rd party to get something working for your Sonar users.  Please do not think we are uninterested or lackadaisical in getting back to our users.  You can blame me if you want to.  I am trying to reach out to our many loyal users because I realize no one has for a long time.

Please contact me directly if you would like to collaborate on a new Sonar plug-in.  Unfortunately, the old Sonar plug-in was well before my time.

I hope you can forgive my tardy response.

Terry Goyette
Shuttle Product Manager
Contour Design, Inc.
shuttle@contourdesign.com

terryg@contourdesign
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2010/11/01 15:23:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby koolbass 2016/03/10 00:39:22
ba_midi,

I'm not looking to 'harvest' any users, use them as 'guniea pigs', nor am I trying to be arrogant.  Last December when I started this position I knew there would be some opportunities to regain some of our lost user-base.  I will stand and take the blame if that needs to happen, but I assure you I am looking to help our loyal Shuttle users, nothing more.  I realize there are plenty of choices when it comes to jog and shuttle controllers, and hope that our users' input will make future updates worthwhile.

If you have any other comments about this thread or the Shuttle products, please contact me directly if I do not reply to this thread.

Thanks,

Terry Goyette
shuttle@contourdesign.com
Shuttle Product Manager
Contour Design, Inc.

ba_midi

Terry,

But I must stay I think it's a little strange that someone from Contour Design comes here after a long absence and disappearing act to test the waters.  There was hardly any real support when you were in bed with the Cakewalk marketing people, yet you want to come "harvest" Sonar users again?

I find that arrogant and opportunistic at best.

Make a good product and support it properly.   Wouldn't that be a novel idea?

The product itself was well made, and had a limited but useful purpose.  It cost almost 200 (or more) when I bought my V2.  As others pointed out, it had LESS functionality than the previous model.

While I try to be a constructive and positive person in life, I must say that I am actually laughing that you have the gaul to come here without even a slight apology for abandoning Sonar users, yet seemingly to harvest us again.

As far as I'm concerned, I would doubt I would ever purchase a product from your company again unless you made something that no one on the planet did and only if iit was inexpensive.

Sorry to be blunt, but I'm being honest and I think your company needs to hear this (as do others).   People are tired of being treated like guinea pigs.

Good luck - whatevever you're up to.

losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
Re:Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2011/05/15 19:16:14 (permalink)
So, it's now six months later (May 2011). I came across this thread because I have a ShuttleXpress that worked flawlessly with SONAR 5PE, but now fails miserably with SONAR X1PE. 

Before, I was using the CS plugin that was written way-back for SONAR 3, adn which still worked for SONAR 5. It wasn't really all that bad, just not configurable. The latest basic driver/applet fmo the Contour Support webpage actually did work in X1, after I re-targeted the executable in the "Application setting" > Options. BUT, then I needed Lexicon Pantheon to work, for which the current workaround is to run the SONAR executable (SONARPDR.exe) in Compatibility Mode as Administrator. Since setting that, the Shuttle no longer talks to SONAR, even though the Taskbar icon indicates that SONARPDR.exe has the focus. (Whether teh Shuttle isn't talking, or SONAR isn't listening, or Windows isn't passing the message, I don't know.)

It would be great to see support for SONAR again. I have always liked my little UFO-shaped jog/shuttle wheel in SONAR, and would like to continue doing so, whether with the basic applet, or even better, a CS plugin.

So, did the trail of supprt die, or did it perhaps move to another thread?

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
koolbass
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 853
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2016/03/10 00:32:23 (permalink)
terryg@contourdesign
Hi All,

Thanks,

Terry Goyette
Shuttle Product Manager
Contour Design, Inc.

Terry,
I realize this thread is NOT a new thread, but, since I just updated my computer to Win 10 x64, I find my Tranzport is no longer useable, but my Shuttle Pro V2 is somewhat useful.

I did find the new driver that allows use with Sonar on Win 10, and I've set up my Shuttle to use on Sonar Platinum.

It's actually working fine, but my only problem is it does not seem to want to work when the main Sonar program loses focus.  Right now, I only have to click on the top of the open program to reacquire focus, but, since I'm using 4 monitors, sometimes it's clumsy to find the cursor and move it to the top of the screen to click and reacquire focus.

My question, is there a way to make the Shuttle ALWAYS work and NOT lose focus?

Cheers,
Lance "koolbass" Martin

Sonar Platinum, Sound Forge Pro 12, ADK built audio computer: Intel 8 core i7 Haswell-E overclocked 4.2GHz; 32 Gig DDR4/2666 ram; Corsair 850W power; Windows Pro 10 x64; Geforce GTX 980 video w/4 monitors (Acer 27" touch screen/primary); 3 Seagate drives - OS, audio, samples, 2 TB external USB3 bkup drive; RME MADIface XT; Ferrofish A16 MKII ADDA; Lucid GenX 6-96 clock

www.BoogieHouseMusic.com
dantarbill
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2016/03/10 11:09:39 (permalink)
koolbass
...since I just updated my computer to Win 10 x64, I find my Tranzport is no longer useable...

I thought people in other threads were saying that the Tranzport still works on Win 10.  Is that not true?

Dan Tarbill
Blades
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2016/03/13 20:23:08 (permalink)
Tranzport working here in Windows 10.  You have to launch the setup using either administrator or compatibility mode, if I recall correctly.  Other than the initial setup, everything about it works the same as it ever did.

More than I can say for the Contour.  As said MANY times around here, the Countour V1 was far superior to the V2.  The driver/Cakewalk Sonar plugin stopped working a long time ago.  Best you can do is to run it in V2 mode with no plugin to Sonar.  This means that it only works when Sonar is in focus as the active application.  It also means that the scrub wheels only go to measure granularity.  I prefer mine to work at the beat level.  You CAN get this to work using some CAL scripts and it's "mostly" ok, but it definitely has some glitchy stuff that it occasionally does.  It is tolerable, but not as nice as it was when the device came out.  It's one of those things that is a shame after the X1 Sonar came out.

Hope that helps.  I'm not around here a lot any more, but if you need the CAL scripts, I can get them to you...

Blades
Thedoccal
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: RE: Contour Shuttle Pro V2 as Sonar control surface? 2017/04/09 21:46:33 (permalink)
If I can get just button 7 to start and stop the transport I will be happy.  I have the original SP and I got it to work when I first installed driver version 2.1.13...but after a shutdown and reboot it stopped working..but just for Sonar Plat.  The SP doesn't show up in Midi/Devices, although my Tranzport does...so that means both the input and output settings in "Controllers" have to be blank, but even so I got it to work - all the buttons and wheels - after that first 2.1.13 driver update installation. 

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1