newbie Questions: partition OS HD?

Author
Doc Iacovelli
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2009/04/29 15:04:19 (permalink)

newbie Questions: partition OS HD?

Hi,
I'm buying a new comp, and have some questions. Is it best to partition the OS HD so that my OS is separate from other progs on that drive?
I was also thinking to partition the second HD with one part for plug ins and the other for audio. Is that a good idea?
Also, I was planning on using the Lexicon Lambda interface, and Ive heard its problematic with 64 bit OS, so I was going to stick with XP, which I like. Is that OK? I realize it will only utilize 3.25 RAM, but thats ok with me. Responses very much appreciated.
thanks,
doc

6 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: newbie Questions: partition OS HD? 2009/04/29 17:06:01 (permalink)
    I'm buying a new comp, and have some questions. Is it best to partition the OS HD so that my OS is separate from other progs on that drive?
    I was also thinking to partition the second HD with one part for plug ins and the other for audio. Is that a good idea?
    Also, I was planning on using the Lexicon Lambda interface, and Ive heard its problematic with 64 bit OS, so I was going to stick with XP, which I like. Is that OK?

Hi Doc,

I'm one of the "evil" DAW builders (who's also been a Cakewalk user since the CompuServe forum days) and I wanted to offer some advice.

- Install your OS and applications on the same HD and partition.
    - If you want to use a USB audio interface, go with an Edirol or newer M-Audio unit. Much better drivers/performance

The basic spec's you're looking at will be fine.
    If you were hand choosing each particular part (based on quality/performance), you'd go with a different motherboard.
    If you use a Western Digital HD, make sure it's the Black (not Green) model.

One of the major advantages of a custom system is that you can choose each individual component... making sure to use parts that are all proven top-performers in a DAW.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Doc Iacovelli
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: newbie Questions: partition OS HD? 2009/04/29 17:44:20 (permalink)
    Hi Jim,
    Thank you very much. Ive read your posts before and always appreciated them. I checked out your site early on just to be sure I couldnt afford you! In fact, I can't really afford the system I posted, but Im buying it anyway. (I should be working for the government). Also, its from an online "configuration" site, so I do have some choice in parts selection...but I'm really about over my head at $900 total. When you say.."Install your OS and applications on the same HD and partition." do you mean .. OS and apps on same HD IN the SAME partition? Also, by the "much better drivers/performance" of Edirol or MAudio, are you referring to latency, or other things?
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: newbie Questions: partition OS HD? 2009/04/29 17:51:11 (permalink)
    When you say.."Install your OS and applications on the same HD and partition." do you mean .. OS and apps on same HD IN the SAME partition? Also, by the "much better drivers/performance" of Edirol or MAudio, are you referring to latency, or other things?

Hi Doc,

Yes, Install Windows and your applications in the same partition.
    Regarding USB audio interfaces, Edirol and the newest generation of M-audio units offer rock-solid drivers... and better performance with heavy loads at low-latency settings.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: newbie Questions: partition OS HD? 2009/04/29 19:28:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

I'm one of the "evil" DAW builders (who's also been a Cakewalk user since the CompuServe forum days) and I wanted to offer some advice.

Jim - I doubt anybody thinks you're evil. I certainly don't, and I appreciate your input.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: newbie Questions: partition OS HD? 2009/04/30 12:54:34 (permalink)
    Roger , I think Jim's been watching Austin Powers again.hehe

to quote the film...we should ask for one million ... billion.. trillon dollars

doc , just make sure you backup your data first...

thing I use is gparted for such things.. I bought a commerical product that just caused me LOADS of headaches..

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

and for the dualboot , well

http://www.vistabootpro.org/
    post edited by Fog - 2009/04/30 13:03:07
    rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: newbie Questions: partition OS HD? 2009/05/01 01:06:46 (permalink)
    Hey Fog - Thanks for the gparted recommendation. I've been using the Acronis Disk Director for the past several years, but I'll be checking this out.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1