PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1

Author
Mike Kohlgraf
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 344
2009/05/12 14:30:48 (permalink)

PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1

Well, folks... I dipped into my bank account just in time. Bought the StudioLive in April, "played" around with it and I am loving it.

I was part of the "private" Beta testing team and I am happy to report that everything works fantastic with the new 64 bit OS Driver. Public Beta testing will be available soon!

Anyway, I tested the SL on Sonar 6, 7 & 8 PE and many other audio apps. No problems at all!!! Oh yeah, I am running XP Pro, X64 ... I'm a happy camper!

Cheers,
Mike

Mixposure *SoundClick * ATTENTION: Listen to my Radio shows on Mix Radio every Saturday starting at 7 pm ET/USA www.Mixposure.com

27 Replies Related Threads

Sonico
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/12 14:39:10 (permalink)
    Great News!!!

My Firestudio Project works great with Sonar 8 in 32 bits cause I was not invited to the private beta team but they say that the new driver is going to have better console, latency and stability, besides 64bit capability of course.

I'am extremely happy with my FSP and it seems it is going to be even better with the new drivers so again, great news!!

Thanks Mike and please comment as much as you can on the new driver and sonar.
    Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/13 11:21:59 (permalink)
    Hey... That's great news!

I just got one delivered yesterday and I'm about to connect it to my pc this morning... What a cool board...

I'm only running Vista Home Premium 32bit, but I'm expecting it to be ok for now... I'm interested in moving up to Vista x64 in the near future (I don't think I can wait for Win7)...

Thanks Mike... I'm sure we'll be talking more soon! ;-)

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    dantarbill
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1820
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/13 11:28:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mike Kohlgraf

Well, folks... I dipped into my bank account just in time. Bought the StudioLive in April, "played" around with it and I am loving it.

I've been seriously circling this gizmo for actual live use. I'm curious as to what you are specifically using it for...

* Does it just live in the studio?

* Have you used it live?

* Is it easy to use live?

* When things are going to <heck> in a hand basket during a show, is it simple to figure out how to fix it?

* Could a nominal user who just walks up to the board figure out how to do basic stuff?

* Have you tried recording more than 8 tracks at once through the board into SONAR? (All 16?)

* Does the board appear to be able to withstand abuse?

Dan Tarbill
    Keni
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/13 22:37:15 (permalink)
    Well...

This is one amazing box... Very well thought out and easy as pie to learn... I've got most of it under my belt in less than a day...

..and everything was fabulous..............
    ...................until I got to the exporting audio from Capture....

Snap, crackle, pop goes the track.... Regardless of whether I listen to it thru capture or export.... The ?main" track (mixdown) has the problems and if I export the individual tracks, the noises are abominable! <sigh>... I was having such a great time with the board until then...

I'm hoping this is a driver issue and the new driver menioned in this discussion is coming out VERY soon (laterday tonight would be nice)....

I haven't tried to record from the board yet... only using the included demo project to learn my way around... The project's tracks are clean in capture and I do my mixdownb stuff on the Studiolive.... No O/L anywhere....

Now I'm a bit nervous about trying to track with it yet....

...and how do I disable the wdm enabling? Maybe that's interfering? I don't need it for internal system sounds and I can always listen to such (if I ever need them) thru the SSL/Soundscape/Mixtreme192 which is my primary interface on this machine...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.... I tested the exported tracks in both Sonar and Media Player...

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 11:42:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sonico

Great News!!!

My Firestudio Project works great with Sonar 8 in 32 bits cause I was not invited to the private beta team but they say that the new driver is going to have better console, latency and stability, besides 64bit capability of course.

I'am extremely happy with my FSP and it seems it is going to be even better with the new drivers so again, great news!!

Thanks Mike and please comment as much as you can on the new driver and sonar.

The last I've heard: there are only 2 more "bugs" to be fixed before Presonus is going to release the 64 bit beta driver to the public for testing. On my particular config (DAW), I have had no problems at all.

One of the things I do is my radio shows ... I wanted to replace my FA101 FW with the StudioLive as my main audio interface. My DJ console (SAM Broadcaster) had to be drastically changed as far as AGC etc is concerned. When used for broadcasting, I had to turn off all of SAM's internal settings (AGC, mixer settings, EQ, etc) to utilized the StudioLive to its full potential.

Just took some tinkering, but it works. More in a bit.

Cheers,
    Mike

Mixposure *SoundClick * ATTENTION: Listen to my Radio shows on Mix Radio every Saturday starting at 7 pm ET/USA www.Mixposure.com
    Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 11:43:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Keni

Hey... That's great news!

I just got one delivered yesterday and I'm about to connect it to my pc this morning... What a cool board...

I'm only running Vista Home Premium 32bit, but I'm expecting it to be ok for now... I'm interested in moving up to Vista x64 in the near future (I don't think I can wait for Win7)...

Thanks Mike... I'm sure we'll be talking more soon! ;-)

Hi Keni, once the 64 bit driver is finalized, you should not have any problems. As mentioned in the post before this one, a couple of more bug fixes and the open BETA test version will be released. All in all, it's great news.

Cheers,
    Mike

Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 11:52:37 (permalink)
    I'll try to answer your questions within your quote, Bill:

ORIGINAL: dantarbill

I've been seriously circling this gizmo for actual live use. I'm curious as to what you are specifically using it for...

* Does it just live in the studio? It works well in both, studio and Live performances[/b

* Have you used it live? Sort of ... had some musician buddies come over and hook up their gear to the SL

* Is it easy to use live? It's very simple to use... took me a couple of days to get it "all" but - very cool, it's easy!

* When things are going to <heck> in a hand basket during a show, is it simple to figure out how to fix it? Very simple. Once you have the right mix for all instruments/mics, you save the settings. If something goes wrong, you can recall all those settings with a couple of buttons[/b

* Could a nominal user who just walks up to the board figure out how to do basic stuff? Absolutely!

* Have you tried recording more than 8 tracks at once through the board into SONAR? (All 16?) I've re-recorded a project on the SL directly into Sonar 8 with 14 tracks at the same time

* Does the board appear to be able to withstand abuse? From what I hear from gigging musicians, it can take a punch and you can rest assured it will still function

Hope, this answers some of your question.

Cheers,
    Mike

Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 11:55:00 (permalink)
    I so not recommend tracking with Capture. It works better on some computer configurations than others.

You can easily do your tracking (even during live performances) by hooking it up straight to your computer, using SONAR (whichever version). It does work best for me that way.

Well...

This is one amazing box... Very well thought out and easy as pie to learn... I've got most of it under my belt in less than a day...

..and everything was fabulous..............
    ...................until I got to the exporting audio from Capture....

Snap, crackle, pop goes the track.... Regardless of whether I listen to it thru capture or export.... The ?main" track (mixdown) has the problems and if I export the individual tracks, the noises are abominable! <sigh>... I was having such a great time with the board until then...

I'm hoping this is a driver issue and the new driver menioned in this discussion is coming out VERY soon (laterday tonight would be nice)....

I haven't tried to record from the board yet... only using the included demo project to learn my way around... The project's tracks are clean in capture and I do my mixdownb stuff on the Studiolive.... No O/L anywhere....

Now I'm a bit nervous about trying to track with it yet....

...and how do I disable the wdm enabling? Maybe that's interfering? I don't need it for internal system sounds and I can always listen to such (if I ever need them) thru the SSL/Soundscape/Mixtreme192 which is my primary interface on this machine...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.... I tested the exported tracks in both Sonar and Media Player...

sonickg
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 12:22:23 (permalink)
    In the days of one more feature, I wonder why they didn't make it a control surface as well
    Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 12:24:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sonickg

In the days of one more feature, I wonder why they didn't make it a control surface as well

THAT would have been SWEET, brother!!!

Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 12:26:53 (permalink)

Now, THAT would have been the ultimate.

However, I don't think that's what this unit would ever do. It's geared toward live performances with the added benefit of being your new audio interface, recording straight into SONAR.

I'm happy with that!

dantarbill
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 12:28:24 (permalink)

* Could a nominal user who just walks up to the board figure out how to do basic stuff?

Absolutely!

My version of "nominal user" is someone who still doesn't know how to program their VCR, but they happen to be the only person available that isn't on stage with an instrument in their hands.

("...uh...Why do you call those things 'faders'?")

Dan Tarbill
    dantarbill
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 12:35:43 (permalink)

I talked to a rep about this. They were shooting at a price point.

Actually, I think it was a pretty good decision. I've had a Yamaha 01v in my studio for years, and have made it work as a control surface...because I could...and then never bothered to do so again. ...and I LOVE the flying faders...for impressing civilians who come into the studio. But...if it saves me money on a live board...I can live without it.

Dan Tarbill
    Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 12:35:56 (permalink)

Absolutely!

My version of "nominal user" is someone who still doesn't know how to program their VCR, but they happen to be the only person available that isn't on stage with an instrument in their hands.

("...uh...Why do you call those things 'faders'?")

You are funny, Dan. LOL!!!

Let me just say that the manual that comes with this unit is written in such a way that even I can understand it. I'm originally from Germany and sometimes, tech lingo in English throws me off. But, I manage most times. The documentation is so good that it only took me a couple of days to get to the recording stage with the SL (after the private 64 bit beta driver testing started). So, I wouldn't worry. If you can follow step by step instructions, you should be fine.

And who the heck still uses a VCR??? LOL!!!!

Cheers,
    Mike

dantarbill
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 12:46:17 (permalink)

...I was afraid you were going to pick up on that...

I haven't owned a TV in years...so I don't know what you young whipper snappers are using to record the "Amos & Andy" reruns.

(Oh...TIVO?

You don't say!

That's just the weirdest thing since someone blew out the pilot light in George Goble's gas guitar.
    (You don't hardly get those anymore.))

Dan Tarbill
    Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 12:57:58 (permalink)

...I was afraid you were going to pick up on that...

I haven't owned a TV in years...so I don't know what you young whipper snappers are using to record the "Amos & Andy" reruns.

(Oh...TIVO?

You don't say!

That's just the weirdest thing since someone blew out the pilot light in George Goble's gas guitar.
    (You don't hardly get those anymore.))

Well, don't know about young whipper snappers ... I'll be 52 in August. LOL!

If you want to hear what I mixed mostly with the SL and then fine-tuned the mix with Sonar 8.3.1, check this out:

http://www.mixposure.com/index.php?t=mixposure_song_player&song_id=8031&band_id=1466

I've uploaded the original some time ago, but I simply updated the original mix with the new one.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Mike

Keni
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/14 15:22:20 (permalink)
    Hi Gang...

Lots of interesting stuff...

I've learned my way around the SL in less than a day... I can't believe how easy it is.... and the one problem I mentioned I've found the problem and it was as simple as throwing a switch... One button and the mixes and exports were all fine... I've successfully exported it to Sonar (I wish Capture supported OMFI or Sonar supported Open TL)... I also did a quick 16 track recording direct to Capture and then another direct to Sonar.... Everything worked flawlessly...

This is one amazing piece of gear...

I won't be going 64 bit for a while yet, but I'm glad to know the 64bit driver is ready....

Now for an update that will allow two SL's to be linked as one (16 inputs just isn't always enuf)......

Capture runs fine here... Very bare bones, but it has some features that make it wonderful for live use... With the setting of a couple of markers you can break down a recording of an entire set into multiple seperate songs (multitrack) and ready to import into Sonar.... For live this is wonderful because if I did this live in Sonar, the chopping of a recorded set into individual multitrack songs is quite a bit of work...

As an editor, well, let's just say it wasn't MADE for editing.... (Captire)...

I'm about to set it up for the band who bought it (I'm their producer/engineer) for rehearsal and in a couple of weeks they'll have a pc available for recording....

Oh, nad BTW.... I'm 57! ...and I've been an engineer/producer professionally for over 35 years... ;-)

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/16 10:18:05 (permalink)

Now for an update that will allow two SL's to be linked as one (16 inputs just isn't always enuf)......

The "open BETA" for the 64 bit driver is out. Also, the new firmware version allows what you said up there.

Keni
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/16 10:52:58 (permalink)
    Way cool...

I'll check their' site... I wonder if the new driver will do anything for 32bit? That's all I'm currently running here...

What a pleasure this board is... I did my first 16track (demo) recording the first night with it.... Couldn't be easier!

Love Ya'

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/16 11:06:22 (permalink)
    Love this board too, Keni. Works really well with Sonar (6 - 8) ... It's amazing what this thing can do!!!

Will be jumping on the revised BETA next week. Too busy today and tomorrow (Internet Radio show tonight, etc).

Talk to ya soon, friend.

Cheers,
    Mike

Keni
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/16 13:17:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike...

I'm just downloading the beta stuff and hope to get a chance to check it out soon... (The board is up at the band's rehearsal space and there's not a pc there yet)... I'm garbbing the mac driver as well as I may end up running Capture on an old Mac laptop I own (my only laptop)... It's a little slow for the requirements, but I'm hoping it'll be enuf to run capture (it's an 867MHz OS10.4 machine and the requirements want at least a 1G processor).... My main DAW which runs Sonar here is not for going out with the band! ;-)

Best of luck to you... I know you've gotta be loving this board as do I....

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Keni
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/16 14:17:14 (permalink)
    Wow!

I'm thrilled.... I just downloaded the public beta for the driver and new Universal Control software.... I can't wait to give this stuff a try.... and I was so happily informed that you CAN run multiple StudioLive units together as a single unit!

So my search for a new studio board for my studio (Deep Space Records) has finally come to an end... It's gonna take a little while for me to come up with the cash, but dual-Studiolive 16.4.2 will work so well here to replace my D&R Dayner 40 input (floating subgroups) which has been going dying a slow death for far too long... But the 16 i/o limit of the StudioLive left it out of the running....

Now I'll be able to get a 32 i/o console that's all digital for less than I was expecting to spend for a small-profile analog board (such as the Trident or the Toft which have been my two leading prospects)... Now it's a no brainer... (Tho I would love the John Oram EQ's in the Trident RTB) ;-)

Many Kudos to the Prosonus team... They've released a device that will bring true high-quality performance to those of limited budget in a real no nonsense board/interface with all the trimmings!

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records

Mike Kohlgraf
    RE: PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2009/05/17 10:51:50 (permalink)

Wow!

Now I'll be able to get a 32 i/o console that's all digital for less than I was expecting to spend for a small-profile analog board (such as the Trident or the Toft which have been my two leading prospects)... Now it's a no brainer... (Tho I would love the John Oram EQ's in the Trident RTB) ;-)

Many Kudos to the Prosonus team... They've released a device that will bring true high-quality performance to those of limited budget in a real no nonsense board/interface with all the trimmings!

Happy recording and mixing, Keni!!!

jsbrink56
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2010/03/11 08:10:24 (permalink)
    Mike Kohlgraf

I was part of the "private" Beta testing team and I am happy to report that everything works fantastic with the new 64 bit OS Driver. Public Beta testing will be available soon!

Anyway, I tested the SL on Sonar 6, 7 & 8 PE and many other audio apps. No problems at all!!! Oh yeah, I am running XP Pro, X64 ... I'm a happy camper!

Cheers,
    Mike

Okay, I'm probably asking a question already answered several times... but I could not find the answer... so forgive this noob.

I just got the SL and running Sonar Producer 8.3.

Sonar sees the mixer but only sees 9 outputs:
    1. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch1
    2. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch3
    3. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch5
    4. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch7
    5. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch9
    6. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch11
    7. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch13
    8. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch15
    9. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive 2 Track In L

I thought I would have 16 outputs... I'm guessing that 1-8 are stereo channels or something... but my brain is just not getting how to set up 16 channels on Sonar to separate outputs on the mixer.

I'm going to be setting up the aux channels for headphone mixes during a recording session and I'm guessing I'm going to need to send 16 channels out from Sonar to 16 separate tracks on the SL. But how to do that...???
    dantarbill
    Re:PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2010/03/11 16:01:50 (permalink)
    jsbrink56

Okay, I'm probably asking a question already answered several times... but I could not find the answer... so forgive this noob.

I just got the SL and running Sonar Producer 8.3.

Sonar sees the mixer but only sees 9 outputs:
    1. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch1
    2. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch3
    3. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch5
    4. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch7
    5. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch9
    6. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch11
    7. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch13
    8. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive Ch15
    9. ASIO Presonus FireStudio StudioLive 2 Track In L

I thought I would have 16 outputs... I'm guessing that 1-8 are stereo channels or something... but my brain is just not getting how to set up 16 channels on Sonar to separate outputs on the mixer.

I'm going to be setting up the aux channels for headphone mixes during a recording session and I'm guessing I'm going to need to send 16 channels out from Sonar to 16 separate tracks on the SL. But how to do that...???
    My "from the hip" wild guess is that all 9 of those are actually stereo pairs.  (Note that they are all odd numbers.)

Dan Tarbill
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2011/01/28 00:25:47 (permalink)
    How is the low latency performance on this unit?

16 channels (or 24 is I go there) and all have eq, compression and preamp on way in - 

I love the sound. Ive heard this unit recorded and live and I have a eureka. I love the eureka sound...

if I can record at low latency too with softsynths with this, wow-

Dont even need a separate interface for low latency, so whats the deal?
    post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2011/01/28 01:47:44

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Swinhart
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re:PreSonus StudioLive & Sonar 8.3.1 2011/02/03 22:34:12 (permalink)
    Hey Guys,

Is the Presonus a 64 bit unit only?  I loaded up the drivers on my 32 bit XP Pro laptop and Capture doesn't even "see" the Presonus.  Device Manager shows the Presonus.  My friend says his Mac works just fine.  I contacted Presonus techs several times, sent them an .nfo file, and they finally quit responding to me.  I would love to see some action from this unit, but I can't find the "bat" to get to first base!

Any ideas?

Hal Swinhart

Having fun with 32 tracks in OKC
    hp laptop zd7000 2.8 Ghz 2 Gb DDR RAM
    WinXPP SP3 with AVT1394BusDriver
    Sonar 2S, 3S, 4S, 5S, 5P, 6.12P, now 8.3P
    MOTU 896HD (x3)
    MOTU Ultralite
    MOTU 8-Pre (x2)
    MOTU Ultralite
    many studio mics
    email: hswin@att.net