Simon Cann - Synthesizer Videos

Author
chad
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 468
2009/05/19 08:59:10 (permalink)

Simon Cann - Synthesizer Videos

Hey guys,

If you haven't seen these already. Simon Cann put together a superb video series on Synthesis. The figures and demos are top notch. You can find his page here:

http://noisesculpture.com/bootcamp.html

This is from the same author who wrote "Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power User"

Cheers!

7 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Simon Cann - Synthesizer Videos 2009/05/19 11:23:38 (permalink)
    Cool....thanks for the heads up, Chad!
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Simon Cann - Synthesizer Videos 2009/05/19 17:52:35 (permalink)
    Simon Cann put together a superb video series on Synthesis.
    That Simon ...now we know part of what he's been up to. As with anything that he touches, this is very well done, and an excellent introduction to general synthesizer programming. Watch them, then go buy one of his books. You won't regret it.
    rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: Simon Cann - Synthesizer Videos 2009/05/20 01:28:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads-up Chad

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    Simon_Cann
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Simon Cann - Synthesizer Videos 2009/10/30 10:56:30 (permalink)

Hey Everyone 

For anyone who has been following this series, I've just posted three more Synthesizer Boot Camp videos: 

>>The first (video number 4 in the series) covers LFOs. 

>>The other two (videos 5 and 6 in the series) cover frequency modulation (FM) synthesis. 

You can check them out here: http://noisesculpture.com/bootcamp.html (it's the same link as before, the new videos are towards the bottom of the page). 

Enjoy 

Simon
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    RE: Simon Cann - Synthesizer Videos 2009/10/30 11:24:41 (permalink)
    Simon_Cann

I've just posted three more Synthesizer Boot Camp videos

Looking forward to checking them out, Simon.  Having read two of your books, I'm sure it'll be time well spent.  Thank you.

dburns
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: Simon Cann - Synthesizer Videos 2009/10/31 11:10:56 (permalink)
    Excellent videos!

I have several of Simon's books too, and they are very helpful. These videos are clear, well illustrated, and focused on a single topic (as Simon sez).

Simon, when you get a bunch finished, do you plan to bundle them and sell them? I'm in line to buy whenever you do.

Thanks!

Dave Burns
    Lowell, MA
    More equipment than skill.
    Simon_Cann
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Simon Cann - Synthesizer Videos 2009/10/31 22:39:56 (permalink)
    dburns

Excellent videos!

I have several of Simon's books too, and they are very helpful. These videos are clear, well illustrated, and focused on a single topic (as Simon sez).

Simon, when you get a bunch finished, do you plan to bundle them and sell them? I'm in line to buy whenever you do.

Thanks! 

Thank you all for your kind words.

And Dave, thank you in particular for your offer to buy some videos.  I can answer your question in a very straightforward manner: no.  I have not intention to sell a bunch of these videos.  Let me elaborate...

These videos are free and they will remain free.  At the moment they're on YouTube and while that remains a good place they will stay there.  If another place becomes a more appropriate place for a centralized repository of knowledge then I'll post them there too.

I'm a believer in giving stuff away.  I give away How to Make a Noise (http://noisesculpture.com/htman.html), I give away SFZ Tools (http://noisesculpture.com/sfztools.html), and I give away these videos (http://noisesculpture.com/videos.html).

To my mind, free stuff is the best advert for me and my books.  If someone doesn't know me I don't think they can get a real idea about my books in an easy manner.  However, by checking out my free stuff people can take the time to figure out whether they think my stuff is right for them.

In addition, I'm hoping that by giving stuff away for free (1) I'm expanding the number of people who are interested in this stuff--this will have the effect of increasing the potential size of the market for my books, and (2) I hope that I'm building up some good will.  This second point is crucial--so many of my books have been sold by people who like my books recommending them to other people.

By using YouTube and making the videos embeddable, I'm aiming to create something of value for bloggers/website managers who will be able to embed these videos and use them as the basis to generate income.  This is a win/win: they generate income by using my material, I reach a much wider audience and find more people who will be interested in my books.

This is probably a much longer way to say "no" than you might expect.  However, the lack of a separate product with all the videos included shouldn't be a problem as I intend to keep them permanently available for free, so you will always be able to access them.

Cheers

Simon

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1